Saint Louisville, OH to Salem, OH
Saint Louisville, p-o., Licking co., O.
Saint Marie, p-v., Jasper co., Ill., 139 s. e. Springfield, 716
Saint Marks, r., Flor., a small r. which unites with Wakully r.
at St. Marks, to form Appalachee r. It rises in a small pond 19
m. n. e. from its junction with the Wakully. Boats requiring 4
feet water ascend it to its source.
Saint Marks, p-v. and port of entry, Leon co.. Flor., 20 s.
Tallahassee, 816 W. It is situated on St. Marks r., near the
junction of Wakully r., which form Appalachee r. and constitutes
the port of Tallahassee, with which it is connected by a
railroad. It promises to be a place of considerable business.
Below St. .Marks the navigation is very crooked and impeded by
oyster bars. Congress, in 1829, appropriated a sum of money to
improve the navigation. There is a light-house at the entrance
of the r. St. Marks is 6 miles above the entrance of the r.,
which has 8 feet of water to this place.
Saint Martins, r., Md., crosses the n. e. part of Worcester co.
and enters Sinepuxent bay, in the Atlantic, opposite to
Saint Martin's, Parish, La. Situated toward the
s. part of the state, and contains 850 sq. ms. The Atchafalaya
bayou runs on its n. e. border. Watered by Teche r. In its s. e.
part it is liable to submersion. It contains Chetimaches Lake
and Grand Island in its s. e. part. It has some prairie and some
arable soil on the banks of the streams, which is very fertile.
It produces cotton, Indian corn, rice and indigo, and peaches
and figs. Cattle are raised. Capital, St. Martinsville. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 26,930, sheep 5,054, swine 7,297; Ind.
corn, 96,939 bush, produced, cotton 1,783,233 pounds, sugar
2,474,700; 39 stores, cap. $294,100; 2 lumber yards, cap.
$18,500; 2 tanneries, 1 printing office. Cap. in manufac.
$126,000. 1 acad. 26 students, 6 sch. 110 scholars. Pop. whites
3,549, slaves 4,641, free col'd 484; total, 8,674.
Saint Martin's, p-v., Worcester co., Md., 131 s. e. Annapolis,
Saint Martinsville, p-v., St. Martin's par., La., 178 w. New
Orleans, 1,281 W. Situated on the w. side of Teche r. It is
built chiefly on one street, on the elevated bank of the r. It
contains a court house, a jail, a Roman Catholic Church, and is
surrounded by a settlement of opulent planters. Pop. about 400.
Saint Mathew's, p-o, Orangeburg dist., S. C.
Saint Mary's, r., Ga. and Flor., rises in a swamp in the s. part
of Ware co., Ga., and flowing s. for some distance, it suddenly
turns n., and after a considerable distance, it takes an
easterly course, until it falls into the Atlantic. Its length is
105 ms. It has a depth of water, on the bar at its mouth, of 13£
feet at low tide, and 19i feet at ordinary high tide. It forms
the only good harbor from the boundary of Ga. to Florida point.
It is susceptible of defense. This r. was formerly the boundary
of the United States.
Saint Mary's, r., O. and Ia., rises in Mercer co., O., and flows
n. w., and unites with St. Joseph's r., at Fort Wayne, to form
Saint Mary's, strait, Mich., forms the outlet of Lake Superior,
and connects it with Lake Huron. It leaves Lake Superior in its
s. e. part, and pursues a s. e. course for 60 m., and enters
Lake Huron by three passages, the e., middle, and w. straits. It
has four large islands, Sugar, Sailors' Encampment, Lime Kiln,
St. Joseph's islands, and Drummond Island, at its mouth, besides
some smaller ones. The usual ship channel is up the w. strait,
and the navigation is difficult, and requires an experienced
pilot. Its general width is three fourths of a mile, and the
current 11 m. an hour. It is navigable above and below the
rapids, which are 15 ms. from Lake Superior, for large vessels.
The rapids are three fourths of a m. long, and have a fall of 22
feet 10 inches. The entire fall of the r., from Lake Superior to
its mouth, is 44 feet 8 inches. A ship canal has been in
contemplation around the falls. Large quantities of whitefish,
trout, and other fish are taken in this r., and extensively
Saint Mary's, County, Md. Situated in the s. w.
part of the state, between the Potomac and Patuxent rivers, and
contains 200 sq. ms. Several short rivers, with broad estuaries,
flow into the Potomac r. The largest of these is the Wicomico
r., which forms its western boundary for some distance. Capital,
Leonardtown. There were in 1840, neat cattle 10,073, sheep
11,390, swine 17,320; wheat 68,372 bush, produced, rye 1,568,
Ind. corn 255,955, buckwheat 83, oats 61,862, potatoes 1 1,723;
tobacco 2,872,052 pounds; 30 stores, cap $59,650; 1 cotton fac.
224 sp., 4 flouring m., grist m.; 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $19,000. 4 acad. 54 students, 12
sch. 351 scholars. Pop. whites 6,070, slaves 5,761, free col'd
1,393; total, 13,224.
Saint Mary's, Parish, La. Situated in the s.
part of the state, and contains 870 sq. ms. The surface is
level, and the soil fertile, where it is not too wet for
cultivation. Watered by Teche r. Chetimaches Lake lies on its n.
e. border. Capital, Franklin. There were in 1840, neat cattle
16,806, sheep 8,211, swine 6,403; Ind. corn 153,410 bush,
produced, potatoes 20,017, rice 4,741 pounds, cotton 1,436,000,
sugar 13,291,000; 13 stores, cap. $112,600; 2 tanneries, 1 grist
m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $55,600. 8 sch. scholars. Pop.
whites 2,366, slaves 6,286, free col'd 298; total, 8,950.
Saint Mary's, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 61 s; Harrisburg, 139 W.
Saint Mary's, p-v., Mercer co., O., 105 w. n. w Columbus, 498 W.
Situated on the e. bank of St. Mary's r., at the head of boat
navigation on the r. It contains 2 stores, 1 tannery, 1 printing
office, issuing a weekly newspaper, 35 dwellings, and about 200
inhabitants. It was formerly the capital of the co.
Saint Mary's, p-v., and port of entry, Camden co., Ga., 293 s.
s. e. Milledgeville, 802 W. Situated on St. Mary's r., 7 ms.
from its mouth. It has a safe harbor, and vessels requiring 21
feet of water come to its wharves. It contains a Presbyterian
church, an academy, several stores, 80 dwellings, and about 600
inhabitants. Tonnage, 1840, 2,754.
Saint Mary's, p-o., Jefferson co., Ark.
Saint Mary's, p-o., Hancock co., Ill95 w. w, w. Springfield, 873
Saint Mary's Landing, p-v., St. Genevieve co., Mo., 202 e. s. e.
Jefferson City, 856 W. Situated on the w. bank of the
Saint Michaels, r., Talbot co., Md., flows 10 ms. s., and
approaches Tread Haven bay, and then turns to the n. w., and
after a course of about 6 ms. enters Chesapeake bay by a broad
estuary, opposite the s. part of Kent island.
Saint Michaels, p-v., Talbot co., Md., 57 r. Annapolis, 97 W.
Situated on the w. side of St Michael's r.
Saint Omer, p-v., Decatur co., Ia., 37 s. e. Indianapolis, 560
W. Situated on the N. side of Flat Rock cr., which affords water
power. It contains about 150 inhabitants.
Saint Paris, p-v., Johnston t, Champaign co O., 57 w. by n.
Columbus, 451 W.
Saint Patricks, p-o., Washington co., Ark 161 n. w. Little Rock,
Saint Paul, p-o., Madison co., Ark., 151 n. w., Little Rock,
Saint Paul's, p-o., Robeson co., N. C, 75 s. s. w. Raleigh, 363
Saint Peter's, p-o., St. Charles co., Mo., 113 e. Jefferson
City, 836 W.
Saint Stephens, p-v., Washington co., Ala., 149 s. by w.
Tuscaloosa, 961 W. Situated on the w. bank of Tombigbee r., 120
ms. above Mobile, at the head of schooner navigation. It has a
considerable number of houses, built chiefly stone, but wears
the aspect of decay. It contains a U. S. land office, several
stores, and about 150 inhabitants.
Saint Tammany, Parish, La. Situated in the e.
part of the state, and contains 972 sq. n Lake Pontchartrain
bounds it on the s. Water by Chifuncte r. Pearl r. runs on its
e. border, and Tangipola r. on its w. border. The surface is
uneven; soil, sterile, extensively covered with nine. Capital,
Covington. There were in 1810, neat cattle 25,000, sheep 1,250,
swine 18,500; Ind. corn 12,150 bush, prod., oats 4,000, potatoes
18,350, rice 987,250 pounds, cotton 140,000, sugar 360,000; 25
stores, cap. $225,000; 18 grist m., 21 mw m., 1 printing office,
1 weekly newspaper.; ap. in manufac. $2,183,879. 2 acad. 56
students, 1 sch. 15 scholars. Pop. whites 2,353, slaves 1,940,
free col'd 305; total 4,598.
Saint Tammany, p-o., Mecklenburg co., Va., 97 s. w. Richmond,
Saint Thomas, p-t., Franklin co., Pa., 7 w. by s. Chambersburg,
53 s. w. Harrisburg, 98 W. The surface is rolling; soil, slate
with some calcareous loam. Drained by Back cr. and its
tributaries. The v. contains 2 churches, common to several
denominations, 3 stores, 100 dwellings, and about 600
inhabitants. There are in the t. stores, cap. $12,000; 1 woolen
fac, 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 5 grist m., 7 saw
m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $23,650. 11 sch. 364 scholars.
Salem, County, N. J. Situated in the s. w. part
of the state, and contains 320 sq. ms. Organized in 1763.
Bounded s. w. and n. w. by Delaware Bay and river. The surface
is level; oil, in the n. and w. parts, clay and loam mixed with
sand, and fertile. In the s. e. part, the soil is sandy and
gravelly and less fertile. It has extensive beds of marl.
Watered by Oldman's, Salem, Alloway's and Stow creeks. Capital,
Salem. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,277, sheep 16,486,
swine 26,339; wheat 94,484 bush, produced, rye 36,925, Ind. corn
371,984, buckwheat 30,529, barley 471, oats 306,691, potatoes
0,644; 48 stores, cap. $103,410; 3 woolen fac, tanneries, 1
pottery, 17 grist m., 12 saw m., 1 printing office, 2 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $194,398. 2 acad. 71 students, 43
sch. 1,155 scholars. Pop. 16,024.
Salem, p-t., Franklin co., Me., 52 n. n. w. Augusta, 642 W.
Watered by a branch of Seven Mile brook. The soil is fertile,
adapted to grain, incorporated in 1823. It has 1 store, cap.
$600; grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,400., sch. 256
scholars. Pop. 561.
Salem, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 37 s. s. e. Concord, 45S W.
The surface is uneven; soil, generally fertile. It has a pond in
the w., and another in the s. e. part. Watered by Spiggot r. and
its branches, which afford water power. It is 4 stores, cap.
$6,700; 2 fulling m., 2 woolen c, 5 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. 32,800. 10 sch. 467 scholars. Pop. 1,408.
Salem, p-t., Orleans co., Vt., 62 n. n. e. Montpelier, 578 W.
The surface is level; soil, fertile. South bay of Lake
Memphremagog lies on its n. w. border. Watered by Clyde r.,
which passes through a considerable pond on its n. e. border,
and enters Lake Memphremagog in Derby Chartered in 1781. First
settled in 1798. Pop. 299.
Salem, city, port of entry, and one of the caps of Essex co.,
Mass. Situated in 42° 34' n. lat, and 70° 5' w. Ion. from
Greenwich, and in 6° e. Ion. from Washington. It is 14 n. n. w.
from Washington, and 454 n. e. W. The population in 1810, was
12,613; 1820, 12,731; in 1830, 13,886; 1840, 15,032. Employed in
commerce, 2S7; in manufactures and trades, 1,188; navigating the
ocean, 1,301; learned professions, &c, 52.
It is chiefly built on a tongue of land formed 2 inlets from the
sea, called North and South rs., over the former of which is a
bridge, upwards of 1,500 feet long, connecting it with Beverly,
and the latter forms the harbor. The harbor has good anchorage
ground, but vessels drawing more than 12 or 14 feet of water
must be partially unloaded before they can come to its wharves.
The situation of Salem is low, but it is pleasant and healthy.
It is well built, and latterly most of the houses which have
been erected, are of brick, and many of them are tasteful and
elegant. The compact part of Salem is about one and a half miles
long, and half a mile wide. The streets are irregular, having
been originally laid out without much regard to symmetry and
beauty. In the northern part of the town there is an elegant
public square or com-mon, containing about 10 acres, surrounded
by a handsome public walk, ornamented with rows of trees. An
aqueduct supplies the city with an abundance of excellent spring
water. Salem was long the second town in New England in wealth,
commerce, and population; but Providence and Lowell now exceed
it in population and New Bedford in shipping. It was long
distinguished for its East India trade, by which it was greatly
enriched; but this branch of commerce, though still carried on,
is less extensive than formerly. On a peninsula below the town
are Fort Pickering and Fort Lee; and on Baker's island there is
a light-house. The tonnage of this port in 1840, was 37,020.
Among the public buildings are a court house, a jail, an
almshouse, a market house, an East India Marine Museum, and a
Lyceum. It has 9 banks, with an aggregate capital of $2,000,000;
6 insurance companies, with a total capital of $950,000; a
marine insurance company, and an institution for savings. There
are 2 public libraries, an Atheneum containing 10,000 volumes,
and a mechanics' library, containing 1,200 volumes. There are 16
churches, 4 Unitarian, 4 Congregational, 2 Baptist, 1 Episcopal,
1 Methodist, 1 Christian, 1 Roman Catholic, 1 Friends, and 1
Among the public institutions is a society formed of those who,
as captains or supercargoes, have doubled the Cape of Good Hope
or Cape Horn, formed in 1801, for the relief, when necessary, of
the families of its members, and for advancing the knowledge
necessary for the East India trade. It has a splendid museum,
consist-ing of curiosities collected from all parts of the
world. To this museum strangers have free access when introduced
by a member.
There were in 1840, 45 commercial houses; 80 retail stores, with
a cap. of $430,000; capital invested in the fisheries, $200,000;
17 tanneries, cap. $75,000; 4 distilleries, cap. $35,000;
paints, drugs, &c, cap. $140,000; 4 ropewalks, cap. $83,000; 2
grist m., 2 saw m., cap. $50,000; 3 printing offices, 2 weekly
and 2 semi-weekly newspapers, cap. $9,000. Total cap. in
manufac. $1,439,000. 1 acad. 32 students, 77 sch. 2,965
Next to Plymouth, Salem is the oldest place in the state, having
been settled in 1628. Its Indian name was Naumkeag or Naumkeek,
by which it was designated in early times. The territory, which
originally included Danvers, Beverly, and Marblehead, was
purchased of the Plymouth colony by a company in England, and
was settled by a colony under John Endicott, as agent, and John
Winthrop was its first governor, appointed by the company in
England. This colony so increased that in a few years Boston,
Charlestown, and Dorchester, were settled by emigrants from it.
In 1692, the celebrated delusion denominated "the Salem
witchcraft" prevailed, and 19 persons were hanged as witches,
this and some neighboring towns, including Charlestown and
Boston. The first trial was of person living in what is now
Danvers, and the trials were held, and the place of execution is
now denominated "gallows hill," from which peaceful spot the
most delightful view of the city is obtained. At length this
severity was condemned, and the occasion of it was pronounced a
delusion. These colonists undoubtedly erred exceedingly, but
their error belonged to the age. The English laws at the time
recognized witch-craft as a capital offence, and these laws were
sanctioned by such men as the learned and up-right judge, Sir
Salem was distinguished as the early supporter of the American
Revolution. On the closing of the port of Boston, the general
court was removed to this place, and General Gage hoped that the
inhabitants would be conciliated by the prospect of increasing
prosperity. But by a unanimous vote in a public town meeting
they gave him to understand that they disdained to flourish on
the ruin of Boston, and they offered resistance to an attempt to
seize some military stores before the battle of Lexington.
During the revolutionary war Salem was distinguished for the
number, boldness, and success of its privateers, amounting to 60
vessels, manned by 4,000 men.
Salem became a city in 1836. The railroad from Salem to Boston
was opened in 1838, and is passed in 50 minutes.
Salem, p-t., New London co., Ct., 30 s. e. Hartford, 354 W. It
was taken chiefly from Colchester, and incorporated in 1819. The
soil is generally fertile. Watered by a stream which flows into
Connecticut r. in Lyme. Gardner's lake lies on its n. e. border.
It contains 4 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Methodist, 1
Episcopal, and 1 Baptist. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,100; 1
tannery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,000. 7 sch.
297 scholars. Pop. 811.
Salem, p-t., and semi-capital of Washington co., N. Y., 46 n. n.
e. Albany, 416 W. The surface is undulating and hilly; soil,
sandy and clay loam, and well cultivated. Drained by Black and
White creeks, branches of Battenkill River, which afford water
power. The v. is pleasantly situated in a valley, on White cr.,
and contains a courthouse, jail, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Associate
Reformed church, Washington academy, 5 stores, 1 grist m., 1
furnace, 1 machine shop, 100 dwellings, many of them neat, and
about 700 inhabitants. The great northern turnpike from
Lansingburg, one of the best roads in the country, passes
through it, and it is a great thoroughfare. There are in the t.
11 stores, cap. $41,400; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper, 5 grist m., 5 saw m. Capital in
manufac. $31,255. 1 acad. 50 students, 22 sch. 731 scholars.
Salem, v., Portland t, Chautauque co., N. Y. It contains 1
church, 1 store, 1 grist m., 1 tannery, and about 30 dwellings.
Salem, p-t., and capital of Salem co., N. J., 64 s. Trenton, 175
W. The soil is a fertile sandy loam. Watered by Salem cr. and
its tributaries. The v. is situated on Salem cr., 3½ miles from
its mouth in Delaware bay, and contains a fine brick court
house, 60 by 40 feet, with fire proof brick county offices
adjacent, a stone jail, 7 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1 Presbyterian,
1 Methodist, 1 Baptist, 2 Friends, (1 Orthodox and 1 Hicksite.)
and 1 African Methodist, 1 market house, 1 bank, 1 academy, 2
printing offices, each issuing a weekly newspaper, 26 stores, 3
j lumber yards, 1 steam grist m., 1 horse m., and in about 250
dwellings. A steamboat runs daily to Delaware city and
Newcastle, and connects with one from Philadelphia. Vessels of
50 tons come up to the v., but a bar at the mouth of the creek
has but 8 feet water. There is a draw-bridge over the cr. This
was the first place settled in West Jersey, having been founded
in 1673. There are in the t. 17 stores, capital $47,490; 2
lumber yards, cap. $23,000; 2 tanneries, 1 pottery, 1 printing
office, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $39,996. 2 acad.
71 students 4 sch. 130 scholars. Pop. 2,007.
Salem, p-t., Mercer co., Pa., 241 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 296 W.
The surface is level; soil, clay and loam. Watered by Little
Shenango and Crooked creeks, which unite in its w. part, and
flow into Big Shenango cr. It has 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1
distillery, 2 grist m., 13 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,600. 13 sch. 569 scholars. Pop. 1,980.
Salem, t., Wayne co., Pa. Drained by Waullenpaupack cr. It has 7
sch. 190 scholars. Pop 849.
Salem, t., Luzerne co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $6,500; 3
grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,800. 6 sch. 218
scholars. Pop. 1,009.
Salem, t., Westmoreland co., Pa. It has Loyal-hanna r. on the e.
Drained by Beaver Dam r. The borough contains 204 inhabitants.
There are in the t. 10 sch. 300 scholars. Pop. 1,892.
Salem, p-v., capital of Roanoke co., Va., 178 w. Richmond, 216
W. Situated on Roanoke r It contains a court house, jail, 1
store, and about 250 inhabitants.
Salem, p-v., Stokes co., N. C, 109 w. by x Raleigh, 320 W. It is
a neat Moravian v., situated on a small branch of Yadkin r.,
built mostly on a single street, 1½ mile long, shaded with trees
The houses are chiefly of brick. It contain 1 church, a Moravian
female academy, of celebrity which has 4 brick buildings, 4
stories high, situated on a fine public square, a branch of Cape
Fear Bank at Wilmington, a cotton fac, a pap fac, a printing
office, 4 stores, and about 10 inhabitants.
Salem, p-v., Sumter dist., S. C, 91 e. Columbia, 507 W. Situated
on e. side of Black r.
Salem, p-v., Clarke co., Ga., 58 n. by w. Milledgeville, 615 W.
It contains 1 Methodic church, an academy, 2 stores, 1 tannery,
an about 30 dwellings.
Salem, p-v., Russell co., Ala., 180 e. s. e. Tuscaloosa, 775 W.
Salem, p-v., Tippah co., Miss., 208 n. n. e. Jackson, 882 W.
Salem, p-v., Franklin co., Tenn., 104 s. s. e. Nashville, 674 W.
Salem, p-v., capital of Crittenden co., Ky., 24 w. s. w.
Frankfort, 781 W. Situated between the Ohio and Cumberland
rivers, and contains court house, jail, 3 stores, 1 school 25
scholar Pop. 233.
Salem, p-t., Columbiana co., O., 167 e. N. J Columbus, 289 W. It
contains the villages of Washingtonville and Franklin Square. If
has 1 sch. 324 scholars. Pop. 1,900.
Salem, v., Perry t., Columbiana co., O. has 4 sch. 339 scholars.
Salem, t., Monroe co., O. It has 2 sch. 1 scholars. Pop. 900.
Salem, t., Champaign co., O. It has 1 tanner 2 flouring m., 1
sch. 47 scholars. Pop. 1,408.
Salem, t., Highland co., O. It has 6 sch. 233 scholars. Pop.
Salem, t., Jefferson co., O. It contains sever villages. It has
9 stores, cap $10,400; 2 tanneries, 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac.
$4,200. 6 sch. 375 scholars. Pop. 2,044.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!