Salem, Oh to Sandgate, IL
Salem, t., Meigs co., O. It has 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $550. 6 schools 277 scholars. Pop. 940.
Salem, t., Muskingum co., O. Pop. 1,002.
Salem, t., Ottawa co., O. Pop. 104.
Salem, t., Shelby co., O. It has 3 stores, cap. $5,350; 1 woolen
fac, 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,575.
2 schools 51 scholars. Pop. 1,158.
Salem, t., Tuscarawas co., O. It has 3 stores, cap. $2,700; 2
com. houses, cap. $1,500; 2 grist m., 4 saw m., 5 sch. 415
scholars. Pop. 1,121.
Salem, t., Washington co., O. It has 6 sch. 250 scholars. Pop.
Salem, t, Washtenaw co., Mich. It has 1 furnace, 2 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $1,300. Pop. 1,364.
Salem, t., Steuben co., Ia. It has 2 sch. 45 scholars. Pop. 190.
Salem, t., Washington co., Ia. It has 2 acad. 76 students, 2
sch. 76 scholars. Pop. 1,033.
Salem, p-v., capital of Washington co., Ia., 93 s. Indianapolis,
604 W. Situated on the head waters of Blue r., and contains a
court house, jail, market house, a county seminary, 2 churches,
1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist, 12 stores, 2 printing offices, 1
grist m., 1 oil m., 1 cotton fac, 1 woolen fac, all moved by
steam, and various other mills and manufactories, and about
1,500 inhabitants. There are in the t. 2 academies 96 students.
Salem, p-v., capital of Marion co., Ill., 108 s. s. e.
Springfield, 760 W. Situated on the border of the Grand prairie,
and contains a court house, jail, and about 40 dwellings.
Salem, p-v., Racine co., Wis., 90 e. Madison, 775 W. Situated on
the w. shore of Lake Michigan.
Salem, p-v., Henry co., Iowa. Situated on a beautiful prairie,
and contains 1 Friends church, several stores, various mechanic
shops, and about 1,000 inhabitants. Incorporated in 1839.
Settled by a Society of Friends, who originated from Salem, N.
J., built up Salem, O., then Salem, Ia., and lastly founded
Salem, Iowa, in 1834.
Salem, p-v., Benton co., Mo., 104 s. w. Jefferson City, 1,040 W.
Salem, p-v., Fauquier co., Va., 115 n. by w. Richmond, 59 W. It
contains 1 church, common to several denominations, an academy,
3 stores, and about 40 dwellings.
Salem Centre, p-v., North Salem t., Westchester co., N. Y., 115
s. Albany, 279 W.
Salem Church, p-v., Randolph co., N. C, 121 w. Raleigh, 389 W.
Salem Cross Roads, p-o., Portland t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 330
w. by s. Albany, 352 W.
Salem Cross Roads, p-v., Westmoreland co., Pa., 180 w.
Harrisburg, 205 W. Situated on w. side of Beaver Dam cr., Salem
Salfordville, p-o., Montgomery co., Pa., 85 E. Harrisburg, 170
Salina, p-t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 133 w. by n. Albany, 350 W.
The surface is rolling; soil, clay and gravelly loam. Drained by
Onondaga cr., and other streams, flowing into Onondaga Lake. It
contains the most celebrated salt springs in the state. The v.
is situated on the e. end of Onondaga lake, and contains 3
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, and 1 Roman Catholic, 1
banking house, 20 stores and groceries, 1 flouring m., 2 saw m.,
1 machine shop, 1 furnace, and large salt manufactories, in
which 1,107,825 bushels were manufactured in 1840, being nearly
one half of what was manufactured in the t. The salt springs are
owned by the state, which receives a duty of 6 cents a bushel
from the manufacturers. There were manufactured 2,622,305
bushels of salt in 1840 in the t. It has 3 acad. 150 students,
21 sch. 1,848 scholars. Pop. 1 1,013.
Salina, p-v., Jefferson co., Ky., 65 w. Frankfort, 605 W.
Saline, r., La., rises in Claiborne parish, and flowing s. w. 50
ms., falls into Black Lake r., 8 ms. n. e. Natchitoches.
Saline, r., Ark., rises 20 g. w. Little Rock, and, after a
southerly course of 50 ms., falls into Wachitta r.
Saline, t., Hot Springs co., Ark. Pop. 361.
Saline, r., Ill. is formed by the junction of n., s., and middle
forks, near Equality, and enters the Ohio 12 ms. below
Shawneetown. It is a navigable stream, and contains several
extensive salt works on its borders.
Saline, cr., Mo., a small stream which enters the Mississippi
r., near the s. e. corner of St. Genevieve co. Salt spring are
numerous on its banks, and salt has been manufactured here.
Saline, County, Mo. Situated a little n. w. of
the centre of the state, and contains 820 square miles. The
surface is undulating, containing timber and prairie; soil, very
fertile. The Missouri flows on its n. and e. boundary. Watered
by La Mine r. Capital, Jonesboro'. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 7,176, sheep 5,798, swine 2,475; wheat 24,677 bushels
produced, Indian corn 304,095, oats 36,763, potatoes 11,858,
tobacco 17,250 pounds; 2 commission houses, cap. $3,000; 10
stores, cap. $50,500; 6 distilleries, 2 flouring m., 12 grist
m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $19,668. 14 sch. 303 scholars.
Pop. whites 3,635, slaves 1,615, free col'd 8; total, 5,258.
Saline, County, Ark. Situated near the center
of the state, and contains 720 sq. ms. Saline r. runs on its s.
w. border. Drained by Hurricane r. Capital, Benton. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 1,530, sheep 273, swine 3,850; wheat 598
bushels produced, Indian corn 9,500, oats 1,690, potatoes 4,200,
tobacco 940 pounds, cotton 64,500; 3 stores, cap. $8,000; 1
tannery, 1 distillery, 5 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$1,900. 1 sch. 36 scholars. Pop. whites 1,662, slaves 399;
Saline, t., Jefferson co., O. Pop. 963.
Saline, p-t., Washtenaw co., Mich., 40 w. Detroit, 517 W. The
soil is fertile, adapted to grain. Pop. 1,390.
Saline, p-o., Ralls co., Mo., 98 n. e. Jefferson City, 929 W.
Saline, t., Sevier co., Ark. It has 2 sch. 51 scholars. Pop.
Saline, t, Hempstead co., Ark. It has 1 acad. 40 students, 1
sch. 36 scholars. Pop. 1,192.
Saline Rock, p-o., Wood co., Va., 327 w. n. w. Richmond, 296 W.
Salineville, p-o., Columbiana co., O., 141 n. e. Columbus, 283
Salisbury, p-t., Merrimac co., N. H., 16 n. n. w. Concord, 491
W. The surface is various. Keasearge mountain lies in its w.
part. The soil is fertile, especially on the streams. On the
hills it is adapted to grazing. Merrimac r. bounds it on the E.
Drained by Blackwater r., which passes through a pond in its n.
part., and flows s. into Contoocook r. Chartered in 1768. In the
s. part of the t. is a pleasant v., containing a Congregational
church and an academy; and about l? m. n. w. is another small
v., which contains a Baptist church. This t. was the birthplace
of the Hon. Daniel Webster. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap.
$21,500; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m. 2 saw m. Cap in
manufac $7,900 1 acad. 65 students, 10 sch. 342 scholars. Pop.
Salisbury, p-t., Addison co., Vt., 69 s. w. Montpelier, 481 W.
The surface is uneven; soil, generally fertile, especially on
the streams. Otter cr. bounds it on the w. Watered by Middlebury
r., and Lake Dunmore, which is 4 miles long, and from one half
to three fourths of a mile wide, the outlet of which, called
Leicester River, affords good water power. It has a
Congregational and a Methodist church. Chartered in 1761. First
settled by an heroic woman, Mrs. Story, with a family of 8 or 10
children, in 1775, for which she received 100 acres of land.
There, is a small manufacturing v. at the outlet of the lake.
There are in the t. 2 stores, cap. $13,000; 1 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 1 forge, 1 glass fac, 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $34,000. 10 sch. 440 scholars. Pop. 942.
Salisbury, p-t., Essex county, Mass., 42 n. n. e. Boston, 477 W.
The Atlantic bounds it on the e., Merrimac r. on the s., and
Powow r. on the w. The surface is uneven, excepting, in the e.,
where there is an extensive beach, and some salt marsh. The soil
is generally fertile. It contains 6 churches, 2 Congregational,
1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 Christian, and 1 Universalist, There
are 3 villages, one opposite to Newburyport, one at the junction
of Powow and Merrimac rivers, where ship building has been
carried on, and one on Powow r., called Mills v., where are
considerable manufactures. The railroad from Boston to
Portsmouth passes through this t. There are in the t. 23 stores,
cap. $13,650; 16 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 3 tanneries, 1
printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 3 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $561,450. 11 sch. 658 scholars. Pop. 2,739.
Salisbury, p-t., Litchfield co., Ct., 53 w. Hartford, 337 W. The
surface is uneven; soil, generally fertile, parts of it well
adapted to grain and others to grazing. The Housatonic River
runs on its e. border, and between this t. and Canaan has a
perpendicular fall of 60 feet, affording great water power.
Watered by Salmon r. There are several ponds in the t., 2
connected together toward the n. e., 1 toward the n. w. and
Furnace pond toward the s., the outlets of which afford water
power. The v. at the centre contains 1 Congregational and 1
Episcopal Church, and a number of dwellings. Furnace v., at the
outlet of Furnace pond, contains a Methodist church and a number
of neat dwellings, and is a place of considerable business. In
the w. part of the t., on the New York line, is a valuable bed
of iron ore of an excellent quality. First settled in 1720.
Incorporated in 1741. It has 7 stores, cap. $29,500; 3 furnaces,
10 forges, 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$33,950. 1 acad. 15 students, 13 sch. 695 scholars. Pop. 2,561.
Salisbury, p-t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 73 w. n. w. Albany, 413 W.
The surface is hilly and mountainous, with some broad valleys;
soil, sandy and clay loam. Drained by East Canada creek, and
tributaries of West Canada creek. The village at the centre is
on Spruce cr., and contains 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 tannery, and
30 or 40 dwellings. Salisbury village lies 7 miles n. by e.
Little falls, and contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 40 dwellings,
and about 250 inhabitants. An extensive bed of magnetic iron ore
has been found 3 miles n. of this place. There are in the t. 7
stores, cap. $31,650; 4 lumber yards, cap. $2,500; 2 fulling m.,
1 forge, 3 tanneries, 1 paper fac, 1 printing office, 4 grist
m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac $56,130. 14 sch. 507 scholars.
Salisbury, p-t., Lancaster co., Pa., 16 e. Lancaster, 51
Harrisburg, 121 W. The surface is rolling; soil, calcareous
loam. Drained by Picquea cr., which affords water power. The
p-v. contains 8 or 10 dwellings. There are in the t. 9 stores,
cap. $35,000; 1 forge, 1 distillery, 1 brewery, 2 flouring m., 2
grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,000. 10 sch. 390
scholars. Pop 3,959.
Salisbury, t., Lehigh co., Pa. It has 3 stores, cap. $10,000; 1
tannery, 1 distillery, 3 flouring m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$70,050. 1 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 1,438.
Salisbury, p-v., Somerset co., Md., 95 s. s. t Annapolis, 135 W.
Situated on the e. side of Wicomico r., and contains 2 stores
and about 250 inhabitants.
Salisbury, p-v., capital of Rowan co., S. C. 118 w. Raleigh, 355
W. Situated on a branch of Yadkin r. It contains a court house,
jail, a church and an academy, and about 700 inhabitants. Here
is an ancient stone wall, laid in cement, and plastered on both
sides, from 12 to 14 feet high, 22 inches thick, which reaches
to within a foot of the surface and the length of what has been
discovered is about 300 feet. A similar wall has been discovered
6 miles from the first, 4 or 5 feet high, and 7 inches thick.
Their origin can only be a matter of conjecture.
Salisbury, p-t., Meigs co., O., 98 s. w. Columbus, 346 W. Ohio
r. bounds it on the s. It contains a church and salt works,
which produce about 500 barrels per week. It has extensive beds
of bituminous coal. The surface has a southern declivity; soil,
very fertile. It has 8 stores, cap. $10,500; 2 flouring m., 4
grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac $67,320. 9 sch. 286 scholars.
Salisbury, p-v., Sangamon co. Ill., 10 s. w. Springfield, 790 W.
Situated on a small branch of Sangamon r.
Salisbury Centre, p-v., Salisbury t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 75 w.
N. w. Albany, 405 W. (See Salisbury.)
Salisbury Mills, p-v., Blooming Grove t., Orange co., N. Y., 93
s. by w. Albany, 287 W. It contains 3 stores, 1 paper m., 1
grist m., 1 saw m., 1 plaster m., 1 tannery, and about 25
Salmon Creek, p-o., Sodus t., Wayne co., N. Y., 196 w. by N.
Albany, 367 W.
Salmon, r., Ct., rises in the s. part of Tolland co., and flows
into Connecticut r., in e. Haddam. It has falls which afford
good water power, and is navigable a short distance from its
Salmon r., N. Y., rises in Lewis co., and flows through Oswego
County into Mexico bay, which sets up from Lake Ontario. It has
a pretty good harbor at its mouth, and is beatable, in high
water, 14 miles, to the falls in Orwell. At these falls the r.
has a perpendicular descent of 107 feet, being 250 feet wide at
high water, and half that at low water. The rocky strata consist
of slate and granite, or gneiss, and the height of banks above
is from 80 to 90 feet, and below the falls 200 feet of
perpendicular rock. The water is very deep at the foot of the
fall, and salmon trout and other fish are here taken.
Salmon River, p-o., Albion t., Oswego co., N. Y.
Salmon Falls, r., N. H., the name of the Piscataqua r. above the
great falls in Berwick.
Salona, p-o., Clinton co., Pa.
Salona, p-o., Racine co., Wis., 117 e. s. e. Madison, 762 W.
Salonia, p-v., Greene co., Ky. Salt Creek, p-t., Muskingum co.,
O., 65 e. Columbus, 350 W. It has 2 churches, and several salt
fac. Pop. 1,252.
Salt Creek, t., Holmes co., O. It has cap. in manufac. $1,700. 1
sch. 37 scholars. Pop. 1,739.
Salt Creek, t., Hocking co., O. A branch of Scioto Salt cr. runs
through it. It has 2 sch. 48 scholars. Pop. 821.
Salt Creek, t., Marion co., O. It has 1 tannery, 1 pottery, 1
printing office, 1 weekly and semi-weekly newspaper, 2 grist m,
1 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $1,200. 4 sch. 170 scholars.
Salt Creek, t., Pickaway co., O. It has 6 stores, cap. $10,600;
4 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 fulling m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $6,100. 5 sch. 153 scholars. Pop. 1,814.
Salt Creek, t., Wayne co., O. It has 3 stores, cap. $4,800; 2
tanneries, 2 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$7,455. 1 sch. 82 scholars. Pop. 1,461.
Salt Creek, p-o., Porter co., Ia.
Salt Fork, p-o., Vermilion co., Ia.
Saltlick, t., Fayette co., Pa. It has 1 store, cap. $1,500; 1
furnace, 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 4 grist m., 15
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $250. 5 sch. 143 scholars. Pop. 1,911.
Salt Lick, t., Perry co., O. It has 1 store, cap. $4,000; 3
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,400. 6 sch. 200 scholars.
Salt Lick Creek, p-o., Smith co., Tenn., 71 E. Nashville, 657 W.
Salt Point, p-o., Pleasant Valley t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 74 s.
Albany, 311 W.
Salt, r., Ky., rises in Mercer co., and flowing n. into Anderson
co., it turns w. and enters the Ohio at West Point, between
Jefferson and Hardin counties, 20 ms. below Louisville. It is
200 yards wide at its mouth, and boatable 150 ms. Fifteen ms.
from its mouth it receives on the s. side a branch nearly as
large as itself, called the Rolling Fork, which last, receives
in Nelson co. a large branch called Beechy Fork. All these
branches of Salt r., though diverging widely, rise near each
other. These streams water some of the most fertile portions of
Salt, r., Mo., rises in Iowa ter. and flows s., inclining e., to
the border of Ralls co., when it pursues a very winding course
n. e., and then turns s. e. until it joins the Mississippi, 85
ms. above the Missouri. It is navigable to some extent.
Salt River, p-o., Audrain co., Mo., 58 n. by E. Jefferson City,
Saltsburg, p-v., Conemaugh t., Indiana co., Pa., 179 w. n. w.
Harrisburg, 205 W. Situated on the e. bank of Conemaugh r., and
contains 1 church, 4 stores, cap. $16,000; 2 tanneries, 4 grist
m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,080. Pop. 339. There are many
salt works in the vicinity.
Salt Springville, p-o., Canajoharie t., Montgomery co., N. Y.,
63 w. Albany, 381 W.
Salt Sulphur Springs, p-o., Monroe co., Va., 232 w. Richmond,
269 W. The estate on which these springs are located contains 1
church free to all denominations, and 90 inhabitants, 52 whites
and 38 blacks. Here are ample accommodations for 300 visitors.
The springs possess valuable properties.
Saltville, p-v., Smyth co., Va., 283 w. by s. Richmond, 355 W.
Situated near the n. fork of Holston r. There are valuable salt
springs in the vicinity, and gypsum is found. It contains 2
grist m., 1 saw m., and about 150 inhabitants.
Salubria, p-o., Dix t., Chemung co., N. Y., 191 w. s. w. Albany,
Salubrity, p-o., Pickens dist., S. C. Salubrity, p-o., Gadsden
co., Flor. Saluda, p-t., Jefferson co., la., 100 s. s. E.
Indianapolis, 572 W. Pop. 1,285.
Sal visa, p-w, Mercer co., Ky., 21 s. Frank-fort, 563 W.
Sammonsville, p-o., Fulton co., X. Y.
Sampson, County, N. C. Situated a little s. of
the centre of the state, and contains 800 sq. ms. South r. runs
on its w. border. Drained by Black r. and its branches, all
tributaries of Cape Fear r. Capital, Clinton. There were in
1840, neat cattle 6,735, sheep 4,432, swine 20,562, wheat 3,872
bush, produced, rye 1,061, Ind. corn 130,951, oats 2,126,
potatoes 96,127, rice 29,974 pounds, cotton 342,300; 8 stores,
cap. $10,500 ; 16 grist m., 10 saw m., 1 acad. 35 students, 13
sch. 272 scholars. Pop. whites 7,475, slaves 4,425, free col'd
257; total, 12,157.
Sampsondale, v., Haverstraw t., Rockland co., N. Y. It contains
1 Presbyterian Church, an academy, 3 stores, 1 iron wire fac, 1
rolling and slitting m., 1 chemical works, and about 30
Samptown, v., Piscataway t., Middlesex co., N. J., 8 n. New
Brunswick. Situated on Cedar cr., a branch of Raritan r. It
contains 1 Baptist church, 1 store, and about 12 dwellings.
Sam's Creek, p-o., Carroll co., Md., 62 n. w. Annapolis, 63 W.
Sam's Creek, p-o., Davidson co., Tenn., 21 w. Nashville, 705 W.
Samuelsburg, p-v., Putnam co., Ia., 42 w. Indianapolis, 614 W.
Sancon Valley, p-o., Lehigh co., Pa.
Sand Bank, p-o., Albion t., Oswego co., N. Y., 147 w. n. w.
Albany, 393 W.
Sanbornton, p-t., Belknap co., N. H., 21 n. Concord, 502 W.
Great bay of Winnipiseogee lake bounds it on the e.,
Pemigewasset r., for a short distance, on the w. The surface is
uneven; soil, fertile. Incorporated in 1770. It contains 3
churches. 2 Baptist and one Congregational and an academy. It
has 5 stores, cap. $12,500; 3 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 cotton
fac. 700 sp., 4 tanneries, 2 printing offices, 7 grist m., 10
saw m. Cap. in manufac $52,6S0. 1 acad. 148 students, 23 sch.
1,037 scholars. Pop. 2,745.
Sanbornton Bridge, p-v., Sanbornton t., Belknap co., N. H., 17
n. Concord, 498 W.
Sancoty Head, Mass., is the e. point of Nantucket Island, 41°
16' n. lat. 126° 52' w. Ion.
Sandburg, p-o., Fallsbury t., Sullivan co., N. Y., 98 s. w.
Albany, 303 W.
Sandersville, p-v., Chester dist., S. C, 66 n. Columbia, 461 W.
Sandersville, p-v., capital of Washington co., Ga., 28 s. e.
Milledgeville, 658 W. It contains a court house, jail, an
academy, 7 stores, and about 25 dwellings.
Sandford, t., York co., Me. It has 5 stores, cap. $7,900; 1
fulling m., 2 woolen fac. Cap. in manufac. $3,200. 20 sch. 1,052
scholars. Pop. 2,233.
Sandford, p-t., Broome co., N. Y., 120 s. e. Albany, 304 W. The
surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, adapted to grazing.
Drained by Ocquaga cr., which flows into Delaware r. It has 1
store, cap. $4,000; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $1,600. 9 sch. 369 scholars. Pop. 1,173.
Sand Fort, p-o., Russell co., Ala., 188 e. s. e. Tuscaloosa, 775
Sandgate, p-t., Bennington co., Vt., Ill s. Montpelier, 421 W.
The surface is mountainous and broken; soil, fertile in the
valleys, and adapted to grazing, in its elevated parts.
Chartered in 1761. Drained by branches of Battenkill r., and of
White cr. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen
fac, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,035. 9 sch. 206
scholars. Pop. 776.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!