Sand Hill, MO to Sargeantsville, NJ
Sand Hill, p-o., Scotland co., Mo., 171 n. Jefferson City, 933
Sandridges, p-o., Amherst co., Va., 128 w. Richmond, 180 W.
Sandisfield, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 126 w. by s. Boston,
361 W. The surface is elevated and uneven; soil, fertile,
adapted to grazing. Drained by a branch of Farmington r., which
runs on its boundary in the s. e. part. It contains 1
Congregational and 1 Baptist church. Incorporated in 1736. First
settled in 1750. It has 8 stores, cap. $18,800; 1 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap, in manufac.
$24,275. 14 sch. 332 scholars. Pop. 1,464.
Sand Lake, p-t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 17 e. Albany, 384 W. The
surface is hilly and rough, with much waste land, and some
fertile valleys. It contains several ponds. Drained by
Poestenkill and Wynantskill creeks. The v. contains 2 stores, 2
cotton fac, 2 sattinet fac, 1 blast furnace, 1 saw m., 1
tannery, and about 25 dwellings. There are in the t. 11 stores,
cap. $14,900; 1 cotton fac. 1,000 sp., 2 tanneries, 1 glass fac,
1 flouring m., 4 grist m., 27 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $91,825.
21 sch. 1,258 scholars. Pop. 4,303.
Sandover, p-v., Abbeville dist., S. C, 81 w. Columbia, 534 W.
Sandown, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 26 s. e. Concord, 467 W.
The surface is uneven; soil, fertile. Watered by Exeter r. Cub
pond, a small body of water, lies on its e. border. Incorporated
in 1755. It has 3 stores, cap. $1,000; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 4
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,950. 4 sch. 170 scholars. Pop. 525.
Sands Point, Hempstead t., Queens co., N, Y., projects into Long
Island sound, and contains a lighthouse.
Sand Ridge, p-o., Menard co., Ill., 27 n. Springfield, 807 W.
Sandsville, p-v., Clinton co., Mo.
Sandton, p-v., Kershaw dist., S. C, 55 n. e. Columbia, 451 W.
Sand Town, p-v., Kent co., Del., 19 s. w. Dover, 105 W.
Sand Town, p-v., Campbell co., Ga., 100 w. n. w. Milledgeville,
Sandusky, r., O., rises in Richland and Crawford counties, and
flows n. into Sandusky bay. It is 90 ms. long, and though a
rapid stream, affords good navigation at high water. A portage
of 4 ms. connects it with the Scioto r. It has good land on its
Sandusky, County, O. Situated toward the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 320 sq. ms. Drained by Sandusky
r. and its branches. Portage r. crosses its n. w. corner. The
surface is low and level; soil, fertile. Capital, Lower
Sandusky. There were in 1840, neat cattle 10,613, sheep 8,452,
swine 33,914; wheat 119,122 bush, produced, rye 8,890, Ind. corn
142,628, buck-wheat 7,732, barley 1,962, oats 77,072, potatoes
78,403; sugar 83,722 pounds; 2 commission houses, cap. $11,000;
14 stores, cap. $63,600; 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 pottery, 3
flouring m., 8 grist m., 26 saw m., 1 oil m., 2 printing
offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $120,109. 56 sch.
5,159 scholars. Pop. 10,182.
Sandusky, p-o., Freedom t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 272 w. by s.
Albany, 343 W.
Sandusky, p-v., port of entry and capital, Erie co., O., 110 n.
Columbus, 414 W. Situated on the s. shore of Sandusky bay,
fronting the opening into Lake Erie, of which it has a beautiful
view. The entire town is based upon an inexhaustible quarry of
the finest building stone, which has been extensively used in
the erection of its edifices. At all times of the year,
excepting 3 winter months, the wharves are thronged with
steam-boats and other vessels, and the view is enlivened by
their arrival and departure. It contains 4 splendid churches; an
academy of stone, 3 stories high; 26 stores, besides groceries
and provision houses; a ship-yard, where steamboats and other
vessels are built; 300 dwellings, and about 1,200 inhabitants.
Sandusky, t., Crawford co., O. It has 7 sch. 325 scholars. Pop.
Sandusky, t., Richland co., O. It has 8 sch. 571 scholars. Pop.
Sandusky, t., Sandusky co., O. It has 3 sch. 67 scholars. Pop.
Sandwich, p-t., Carroll co., N, H., 49 n. Con-cord, 530 W. The
surface is uneven and mountainous, with some fertile land. Squam
Lake lies partly in its s. E. corner. Watered by Bearcamp r.,
the s. branch of which passes through Bearcamp pond. Another
pond in its s. part discharges its waters s. into Winnipiseogee
Lake. A small stream flows w. into Pemigewasset r. Chartered in
1763. It has 7 stores, cap. $9,700; 2 fulling m., 4 tanneries, 5
grist m., 8 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $7,000. 1 acad. 34
students, 20 sch. 785 scholars. Pop. 2,625.
Sandwich, p-t., Barnstable co., Mass., 53 s. s. e. Boston, 459
W. Situated on the isthmus of Cape Cod, between Buzzard's and
Cape Cod bays. It is the most agricultural t. in the co., with
some light and unproductive land. It has a number of ponds,
which afford fine fishing and fowling. Deer are still found in
this vicinity. The principal v. is situated on Cape Cod bay, and
contains 4 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Unitarian, 1 Methodist,
and 1 Roman Catholic; and an academy, a large glass fac, and
about 100 dwellings. There are, in other parts of the t., 6
other churches, 4 Methodist, 1 Congregational, and 1 Friends. A
ship canal, 5 ms. long, through level ground, would connect
Buzzard's and Cape Cod bays, and save the tedious navigation
around the cape. A considerable quantity of salt is manufactured
in this t. There are in the t. 17 stores, cap. $28,750; 1
tannery, 1 glasshouse, 7 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$283,350. 3 acad. 180 students, 21 sch. 1,130 scholars. Pop.
Sandy, r., Me., rises in Franklin co., and after a course of 45
ms., first s. e. and then n. e., it enters Kennebec r. in Starks
t., Somerset co. It flows through a fertile country.
Sandy, r., Va. and Ky., rises in Logan co., Va n and flowing N.
w., divides Logan and Tazewell counties, Va., and thence,
inclining N., it separates the states of Va. and Ky. for nearly
200 ms. until it enters the Ohio r. at Catletsburg, Ky. It is
200 yards wide at its mouth. It receives several tributaries,
the largest of which is the west fork, at Louisa, Ky. The Sandy
is navigable for batteaux 50 ms. from its mouth.
Sandy, t., Tuscarawas co., O. It has 3 stores, cap. $4,000; 1
tannery, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $20,000. 16 sch.
554 scholars. Pop. 1,444.
Sandy, t., Starke co., O. It has 1 sch. 34 scholars. Pop. 1,265.
Sandy, p-o., Jackson co., Va., 355 w. N. w. Richmond, 324 W.
Sandy, p-o., Columbiana co., O., 141 E. N E. Columbus, 298 W.
Sandy Bay, v., Gloucester t., Essex co., Mass. Situated on the
e. side of Cape Ann, 5 ms. from Gloucester harbor. A pier and
breakwater have been constructed for the security of shipping.
Sandy Bottom, p-o., Middlesex co., Va., 103 e. Richmond, 165 W.
Sandy Bridge, p-o., Carroll co., Tenn., 87 w. Nashville, 771 W.
Sandy Creek, N. Y., rises in Orleans co., and flows into Lake
Ontario in Clarkson t., Monroe co.
Sandy Creek, p-t., Oswego co., N. Y., 161 w. n. w. Albany, 391
W. The surface is undulating; soil, sandy loam. Drained by
Little Sandy cr. and other streams flowing into Lake Ontario,
which bounds it on the w. It has 4 stores, cap. $4,000; 1
fulling m., 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap in
manufac. $8,600. 1 acad. 45 students, 22 sch. 483 scholars. Pop.
Sandy Creek, p-t., Mercer co., Pa., 228 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 302
W. It has three stores, cap. $6,540; 2 fulling m., 3 tanneries,
2 distilleries, 6 grist m., 16 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,670.
17 sch. 474 scholars. Pop. 1,965.
Sandy Creek, t., Venango co., Pa. It has 2 furnaces, 4 grist m.,
4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,400. Pop. 929.
Sandy Creek, p-o., Randolph co., N. C, 71 w. Raleigh, 322 W.
Sandy Creek, p-o., Oglethorpe co., Ga., 69 w. Milledgeville, 602
Sandy Grove, p-o., Chatham co., N. C, 58 w. Raleigh, 309 W.
Sandy Grove, p-o., Warren co., Ga., 53 e. n. e. Milledgeville,
Sandy Hill, p-v., and semi-capital of Washington co., N. Y., 53
n. Albany, 423 W. Situated on the e. side of Hudson r.
Incorporated in 1810, and contains a courthouse, 3 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, and 1 Roman Catholic, 8 stores and
groceries, 1 woolen fac, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 2 furnaces, 1
machine shop, 1 tannery, 150 dwellings, and about 1,000
inhabitants. There is a fall of about 12 feet in the r., in the
upper part of the v.; and 100 rods below, with a continuous
descent, are Baker's Falls, with 50 feet perpendicular descent
the latter creating a great water power, as yet unimproved. The
navigable feeder of the Champlain canal, 1 m. E., passes through
Sandy Hill, p-v., Worcester co., Md., 124 s. E. Annapolis, 164
Sandy Hill, p-o., Henry co., Tenn., 86 w. Nashville, 772 W.
Sandy Hook, Middletown t., Monmouth co., N. J., is a sandy beach
extending n. from Old Shrewsbury inlet and the s. point of the
high-lands of Neversink, 6 ms. and is from half a m. to a m.
wide. It encloses Sandy Hook bay, 7 ms. long and 6 wide. There
is a lighthouse on its n. part. As the sand is accumulating and
ex-tending the point n., a new lighthouse has been erected on
Flinn's Noll, half a m. n. of the former.
Sandy Lake, p-t., Mercer co., Pa., 228 n. n. w. Harrisburg, 283
W. The surface is level; soil, clay and loam. Drained by Sandy
cr., which flows into Sandy lake in the n. w. angle of the t. It
has 3 stores, cap. $6,900; 1 furnace, 3 fulling m., 1 tannery, 4
grist m., 9 saw m., 1 oil m. 8 sch. 184 scholars. Pop. 1,566.
Sandy Plains, p-o., Patrick co., Va., 235 w. s. w. Richmond, 310
Sandy Plains, p-o., Rutherford co., N. C, 230 w. by s. Raleigh,
Sandy Point, Mass. The n. extremity of Nantucket Island.
Sandy Ridge, p-o., Henry co., Ga., 59 w. n. w. Milledgeville 667
Sandy Ridge, p-o., Lowndes co., Ala., 136 b. E. Tuscaloosa, 867
Sandy River, p-o., Pittsylvania co., Va., 184 s. w. Richmond,
Sandy River Church, p -o, Prince Edward co., Va., 80 w. s. w.
Richmond, 170 W. It contains a church, founded in 1768 by
Episcopalians, now free to all denominations, 1 store, and
Sandy Run, p-o., Cleveland co., N. C.
Sandy Run, p-o., Lexington dist., S. C, 16 w Columbia, 522 W.
Sandy Spring, p-o., Montgomery co., Md., 60 w. s. w. Annapolis,
Sandy Spring, p-o., Fayette co., Tenn., 201 w. s. w. Nashville,
Sandyston, p-t., Sussex co., N. J., 87 n. Trenton, 256 W.
Bounded w. by Delaware r. The surface on the e. is mountainous,
on the w. a rich alluvion. Watered by Big and Little Flat Kill
creeks. It has 1 store, cap. $6,500; 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $70,000. 9 sch. 279 scholars. Pop. 1,209.
Sandyville, p-v., Sandy t., Tuscarawas co., O., 123 n. e.
Columbus, 318 W.
Sanford, p-t., York co., Me., 83 s. w. Augusta, 512 W. Watered
by Mousum r., which affords water power. Incorporated in 1768.
It has 5 stores, cap. $7,900; 1 fulling m., 2 woolen fac. Cap.
in manufac. $3,200. 20 sch. 1,052 scholars. Pop. 2,233.
Sanford, p-o., Ingham co., Mich., 100 w. by n. Detroit, 586 W.
Sanford's Corners, p-o., Le Ray t., Jefferson co., N. Y., 169 n.
Sangamon, r., Ill., rises in a small lake in Vermilion co., and
flows s. w., and then turns n. w., and finally w., until it
unites with Illinois River, between Cass and Mason counties. It
receives numerous tributaries. It flows through one of the
richest and most pleasant portions of the state. It is navigable
for small steamboats to the junction of the n. and s. forks; and
in high water one has proceeded to within 5 ms. of Springfield.
Sangamon, County, Ill. Situated near the center
of the state, and contains 900 sq. ms. Drained by Sangamon r.
and its numerous branches, which afford abundant water power.
The surface is gently undulating; soil, calcareous loam, from 1
to 3 feet deep, mixed with fine sand, and very fertile.
Organized in 1821. It is one of the richest and most flourishing
counties in the state. Capital, Springfield. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 20,878, sheep 18,233, swine 69,016; wheat 74,522
bush, prod., rye 8,533, Ind. corn 1,390,160, barley 2,359, oats
193,875, potatoes 44,852, tobacco 2,000 pounds; 50 stores, cap.
$325,000; 9 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 4 potteries, 5 flouring
m., 23 grist m., 40 saw m., 21 oil m., 3 printing offices, 4
weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $195,625. 3 acad. 192
students, 20 sch. 844 scholars. Pop. 14,716.
Sangerfield, p-t., Oneida co., N. Y., 15 s. Utica, 88 w. n. w.
Albany, 372 W. The surface is hilly; soil, a fertile loam.
Drained by Chenango r. and Oriskany cr. The v. contains 1
Presbyterian church, 1 store, 30 dwellings, and about 200
inhabitants. There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $57,000; 2
fulling m., 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 1 grist m., 8
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $126,150. 2 acad. 150 students, 12 sch.
662 scholars. Pop. 2,251.
Sangerville, p-t., Piscataquis co., Me., 77 n. w. Augusta, 672
W. Situated on the height of land between Penobscot and Kennebec
rs. Incorporated in 1814. The surface is uneven; soil, fertile.
It has a pond, the outlet of which forms a head stream of
Sebasticook r. It has 4 tanneries, 11 sch. 510 scholars. Pop.
Sangrun, p-o., Alleghany co., Md.
Sanilac, County, Mich. Situated in the n. e.
part of the settled portion of the peninsula, and contains 730
sq. ms. Lake Huron bounds it on the e. Drained by Cass and
Delude rivers. Unorganized.
Santa, p-o., Jackson co., Ala., 154 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 679 W.
Santa Anna, p-o., De Witt co., Ill., 84 n. e. Springfield, 719
Santa Fe, p-o., Alexander co., Ill., 228 s. Springfield, 862 W.
Sapling Grove, p-o., Washington co., Va., 317 w. by s. Richmond,
Sappington, p-v., St. Louis co., Mo., 140 e. Jefferson City, 820
Saracta, p-o., Duplin co., N. C, 94 s. e. Raleigh, 320 W.
Sarah, p-o,, Bedford co., Pa., 122 w. Harris-burg, 148 W.
Sarahsville, p-v., Noble t., Morgan co., O., 99 e. s. e.
Columbus, 325 W. It is near Buffalo Fork of Wills cr., and
contains 1 store, and about 40 inhabitants.
Sarahsville, p-v., Franklin co., Ill., 181 s. Springfield, 830
Saranac, r., N. Y., rises in Saranac lake, in Franklin co., near
the source of Racket r., which flows to the St. Lawrence, and
flows n. e. until, in Plattsburgh, it turns w., and enters
Cumberland bay of Lake Champlain at the v. It affords extensive
water power, and has a fine fall immediately above its mouth in
Plattsburgh v., where are mills.
Saranac Lake, Hamilton co., N. Y., is 10 ms. long and 2 or 3
wide, and is connected with Lower Saranac lake through Round
Saranac, p-t., Clinton co., N. Y.. 15 w. Plattsburgh, 181 n.
Albany, 830 W. The surface is hilly and mountainous, and heavily
timbered; soil, in the valley of the Saranac, which waters it, a
fertile loam. Iron ore abounds. It has 5 stores, cap. $6,560; 1
forge, 1 tannery, 1 glass fac, 1 grist m., 9 saw m. Capital in
manufac. $165,250. 5 sch. 100 scholars. Pop. 1,462.
Saratoga, County, N. Y. Situated toward the E.
part of the state, and contains 800 sq. miles. The surface is
various, mountainous in the n. w., the central and s. e. parts
hilly, with some sandy plains; soil, sandy or gravelly loam,
with some clay, and moderately fertile. Its mineral waters are
celebrated everywhere. Marl and bog iron ore are found. Hudson
r. bounds it on the e., and partly on the n., and Mohawk r. on
the s. Drained by Sacandaga r., and Fish and Kayaderosseras crs.
Railroads from Troy and Schenectady form a junction at Ballston,
and proceed to Saratoga. Capital, Ballston Spa. There were in
1840, neat cattle 40,810, sheep 96,656, swine 51,601; wheat
72,001 bush, produced, rye 162,950, Indian corn 328,631,
buckwheat 85,974, barley 17,005, oats 496,089, potatoes
1,019,632, hops 5,767 pounds, silk cocoons 100, sugar 20,910;
166 stores, cap. $324,415; 12 lumber yards, cap. $13,475; 2
furnaces, 33 fulling m., 21 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 2,028 sp.,
27 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 pottery, 4 flouring m., 37 grist
m., 139 saw m., 1 oil m., 2 paper fac, 1 printing office, 1
weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac $633,676. 10 acad. 527
students. 164 sch. 6,319 scholars. Pop. 40,553.
Saratoga Lake, Saratoga co., N. Y., 4 s. E. Saratoga, 5 e.
Ballston Spa, is 9 ms. long and 2 wide. It affords fine fish,
and is much resorted to in the summer by visitors to Saratoga
Saratoga, t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 6 n. Ballston Spa, 36 n.
Albany. The surface is level or undulating, excepting on the n.
w., where it is hilly; soil, light sand, or sandy loam,
productive with good cultivation. Drained by Ellis's cr. flowing
into Kayaderosseras cr., which bounds it on the s. It has 8
stores, cap. $17,300; 2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 3 grist m., 3
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $41,900. 1 academy 50 students, 7 sch.
454 scholars. Pop. 2,624.
Saratoga Springs, t, Saratoga co., N. V. The surface is mostly
level or undulating, except in the n. w., where it is hilly;
soil, light sand, or sandy loam. Drained by some small streams
entering Kayaderosseras cr., which bounds it on the s. in part.
It has 42 stores, cap. $54,640; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1
tannery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $46,589. 4 acad.
175 students, 5 sch. 255 scholars. Pop. 3,384.
Saratoga Springs, p-v., Saratoga co., N Y.. 36 n. Albany, 406 W.
The most celebrated watering place in the United States. The v.
is built chiefly on several streets, and contains a number of
the largest and most splendid hotels and boarding houses in the
country, which, in the watering season, are abundantly filled.
The v. was incorporated in 1826, and contains 6 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1
Universalist, and 1 Roman Catholic, an insurance company, an
academy, a female seminary, 35 stores, 3 printing offices, 300
dwellings, and about 2,500 inhabitants. The principal springs
are Congress, Washington, Putnam's, Pavilion, Iodine, Hamilton,
and Flat Rock springs. 1 mile e. are the Ten springs. The
springs differ some in their properties.
Sarcoxie, p-v., Barry co., Mo., 200 s. w. Jefferson City, 1,135
W. Situated on the s. side of Centre cr.
Sardinia, p-t., Erie co., N. Y., 28 s. e. Buffalo. 276 w.
Albany, 343 W. The surface is hilly; soil, moist clay loam, well
adapted to grass. Drained by Cattaraugus cr., which bounds it on
the s. The v. contains 1 Baptist church, 2 stores, 1 woolen fac,
1 furnace, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 30 dwellings, and about 200
inhabitants. There are in the t. 1 store, cap. $1,500; 1 fulling
m., 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $10,500. 13 sch. 446 scholars. Pop. 1,743.
Sardinia, p-v., Washington t., Brown co., O., 92 s. w. Columbus,
459 W. It contains 1 church, 1 store, 1 oil m., 1 carding
machine, 15 dwellings, and about 100 inhabitants.
Sardis, p-o., Burke co., Ga., 97 E. Milledgeville, 620 W.
Sarepta, p-o., Lafayette co., Miss., 160 n. n. e. Jackson, 913
Sargeantsville, p-v., Amwell t., Hunterdon co., N. J., 23
Trenton, 180 W. It contains 1 store, 8 or 10 dwellings, and the
Mantua Manual Labor Institute.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!