Satartia, MS to Schroon, NY
Satartia, p-v., Yazoo co., Miss., o2 N. w. Jackson, 1,041 W.
Situated on the e. side of Yazoo r. It contains several stores,
and about 150 inhabitants.
Saugatuck, r., Ct., rises in Ridgefield, and enters Long Island
sound in Westport t., between 2 and 3 ms. below the v.
Saugatuck, p-o., Allegan co., Mich., 183 w. Detroit, 648 W.
Saugerties, p-t., Ulster co., N. Y., 10 n. Kingston, 45 s. by w.
Albany, 331 W. The surface is level near Hudson r., which bounds
it on the e. It is mountainous w., extending on to the Cattskill
mountains. The soil is fertile. Drained by Plattekill and Esopus
creeks, which flow into Hudson r. The p-o. has the same name as
the t., but the v. in which it is located has received the name
of Ulster. There are in the t. 23 stores, cap. $95,000; 1 woolen
fac, 12 bloomeries, 3 tanneries, 1 paper fac, 4 grist m., 7 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $132,700. 17 sch. 1,109 scholars. Pop.
Saugus, p-t., Essex co., Mass., 11 n. Boston, 451 W. Watered by
Saugus r., which enters Lynn bay. The surface is level near the
r. and bay, with extensive salt marsh, but the uplands are rocky
and rough. Incorporated from Lynn in 1815. It contains 2
churches, 1 Congregation-al and 1 Methodist. It has 3 stores,
cap. $2,000; 1 lumber yard, cap. $5,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen
fac, 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac $68,000. 5 sch. 375 scholars.
Sauk, County, Wis. Situated toward the n. w.
part of the settled portion of the ter. Bounded s. and s. e. by
Wisconsin r., which flows into Mississippi r. Watered by Baraboa
r. and other branches of Wisconsin r. It contains 860 sq. ms.
Capital, Prairie du Sac. There were in 1840, neat cattle 148,
swine 82; wheat 464 bush, produced, oats 1,795, potatoes 1,235;
1 store, cap. $500. Pop. 102.
Sault de St. Marie, p-v., capital of Chippewa co., Mich., 400 n.
Detroit, 921 W. Situated on the s. side of the rapids of St.
Mary's strait, a little below Lake Superior. The v. is on the
site of an old French fort, and has an elevated and pleasant
situation. It contains a court house, jail, 3 churches, 1
Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 Roman Catholic, 3 stores, Fort
Brady, with a garrison, and a trading house of the American Fur
Company, who own one of the stores. Connected with the Baptist
church is a missionary school for Indian children, for which
$1,000 annually are appropriated by the general government. The
Methodists have also a missionary school, and there is a school
in the fort for the children of the officers and citizens.
Vessels come to the foot of the rapids, and the cargoes are
transported three fourths of a m. by land, to the head of the
rapids, and re-shipped. The mail arrives here weekly in summer,
and once in 6 weeks in winter. The thermometer often sinks in
winter to 25° or 30° below zero. Great quantities of whitefish,
and other kinds, are caught here, of a superior quality. The
population, consisting of Americans, French, and Indians, is
about 800, though at times many more.
Saunders, p-o., Sumner co., Tenn., 61 n. e. Nashville, 670 W.
Saundersville, p-v., Vanderburg co., Ia., 162 s. w.
Indianapolis, 732 W.
Saquoit, p-v., Paris t., Oneida co., N. Y., 90 w. n. w. Albany,
379 W. Situated on both sides of Sadaquada or Saquoit cr., and
contains 2 churches, 4 stores, 2 cotton fac, 1 paper m., 2
flouring m., 1 clothier's works, 50 dwellings, and about 300
inhabitants. Here is an inflammable sulphur spring, the gas from
which is used in lighting a public house.
Savage, p-o., Anne Arundel co., Md., 20 n. w. Annapolis, 20 W.
There are extensive iron works in the vicinity.
Savannah, r., Ga., forms the n. e. boundary of the state,
separating it from S. C. It is formed by the union of Tugalo and
Kiowee rivers, near the s. E. corner of Franklin co., 100 ms.
above Augusta, and flowing s. e., it enters the Atlantic through
Tybee sound, in 32° n. lat. The largest vessels come to Five
Fathom hole, 3 ms. below Savannah, and 18 ms. from the ocean;
and large brigs come to the wharves in Savannah. Steamboats come
to Augusta, 127 ms. by land, and 340 by water, from its mouth,
and pole boats go 150 ms. above Augusta. The tide flows up the
r. but 25 ms.
Savannah, p-t., Wayne co., N. Y., He. Lyons, 168 w. Albany, 348
W. The surface is level and swampy on the s. E., covered by the
Montezuma marshes. The soil on the n. w. is fertile. Near the
centre is Crusoe Lake, the outlet of which flow T s into Seneca
r. It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 1 tannery, 1 saw m., 8 sch. 511
scholars. Pop. 1,718.
Savannah, p-o., Richland co., O., 86 n. by E. Columbus, 375 W.
Savannah, city, port of entry, and capital of Chatham County,
Georgia, is situated on the s. w. bank of the Savannah river, 17
miles from its mouth. It is in 32° 8' n. lat. and 81° 10' w.
Ion. from Greenwich, and 4° 10' w. from Washington. It is 118 s.
w. from Charleston; 123 s. E. Augusta; 15S e. s. e.
Milledgeville; 662 s. by w. from W. The population in 1810, was
5,195; in 1820, 7,523; in 1830, 7,776; in 1840, 11,214- of which
4,694 were slaves. Employed in commerce, 604; in manufactures
and trades, 707; navigating the ocean, canals, &c, 241; learned
The city is built on a sandy plain, elevated about 40 feet above
the level of the tide. It was formerly considered unhealthy,
which chiefly arose from the rice grounds in the neighborhood;
but the citizens subscribed $70,000 to induce the owners of the
plantations to substitute a dry for a wet cultivation of that
article, by which the health of the city has been much improved.
The city is regularly laid out in the form of a parallelogram,
with streets, many of them wide, crossing each other at right
angles. There are 10 public squares, containing 2 acres each, at
equal distances from each other. These squares, and many of the
streets, are bordered with trees, and particularly with the
Pride of India, which gives them a beautiful appearance. Many of
the houses are of brick, and a considerable number of them are
elegant. On the e. and w. of the city are marshes; and a pine
barren extends 2 miles to the s.
It has a good harbor. Vessels requiring 14 feet of water come up
to the wharves of the city, and larger vessels come up to Fathom
Hole, 3 j ms. below. The city is defended by Fort Wayne on the
e. side, and by Fort Jackson at Fathom Hole, 3 ms. below. Much
of the trade of Georgia centers in Savannah, the principal
articles of which are cotton and rice. 20 steamboats of a large
size, and 50 steam tow-boats, navigate the river. On Tybee
island, at the mouth of the river, is a light-house. One line of
packets, consisting of 2 ships and 4 brigs, one vessel sailing
from each place weekly and another, consisting of 6 brigs, ply
between this place and New York
The Savannah River furnishes great facilities for internal
trade, and this river is connected to the Ocmulgee by a canal 16
miles long, which terminates at Savannah.
There are 11 churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, 2 Presbyterian, 1
Methodist, 1 Lutheran, 1 Bethel, 1 Roman Catholic, 1 Jews'
Synagogue, arid 2 African. The Exchange is a heavy Gothic build-ing,
5 stories high; the academy is 180 feet long by 60 wide, 3
stories high. The City Hall, the Hospital, the Court House, the
Theatre, and 2 banks, are other public buildings. The two banks
have an aggregate capital of $1,670,000. The tonnage of the port
in 1840, was 17,930. There were 2 foreign commercial and 50
commission houses, with a capital of $943,500; 191 retail
stores, cap. $855,190; 8 lumber yards, cap. $49,000; paints,
drugs, &c, cap. $35,800; 3 brick and 45 wooden houses built,
cost $138,100; 4 printing offices, 2 binderies, 3 daily, 3
weekly, 3 semi-weekly newspapers, cap. $22,000. Total cap. in
manufac. $105,460. 3 acad. 385 students, 7 sell. 470 scholars.
This city was founded in 1733 by Gen. James Oglethorpe and
others. It was taken by the British in 1776, but they abandoned
it in 1782. On the 10th of June, 1820, 463 buildings were
burned, occasioning a loss of property amounting to $4,000,000;
but it has been rebuilt with additional beauty.
Savannah, p-v., capital of Hardin co., Tenn., 131 8. w. by w.
Nashville, 807 W. Situated on the E. bank of Tennessee r., and
contains a court house, jail, and about 250 inhabitants.
Savannah, p-v., capital of Carroll co., 111., 202 N.
Springfield, 872 W. Situated on the e. side of Mississippi r.,
above the mouth of Plum creek. It contains a court house and
jail, and a number of stores and dwellings.
Savannah, p-v., capital of Andrew co., Mo. Situated 5 miles from
Missouri r. It contains a temporary court house, and about 100
Saverton, p-v., Ralls co., Mo., 107 n. n. e. Jefferson City, 911
W. Situated on the w. bank of the Mississippi r.
Saville, t., Perry co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $5,000; 1
fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 2
distilleries, 1 grist m., 17 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $20,313. 7
sch. 280 scholars. Pop. 1,233.
Savoy, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 122 w. N. w. Boston, 395 W.
The surface is elevated and un-even; soil, well adapted ho
grazing. Branches of Hoosic, Deerfield, and West field rivers
flow from it. Incorporated in 1797. It contains a Baptist
church. It has 3 stores, cap. $5,900; 1 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $3,050. 9 sch. 170 scholars. Pop. 915.
Saw Mill, p-o., Dale co., Ala.
Saxenburg, p-v., Butler co., Pa., 205 w. by n. Harrisburg, 236
Saxe's Mills, p-o., Franklin co., Vt., 76 n. Montpelier, 550 W.
Saxonville, p-v., Middlesex co., Mass., 22 n. w. Boston, 423 W.
Saxton's River, p-o., Windham co.. Vt.
Saybrook, p-t., Middlesex co., Ct., 42 s. s. E. Hartford, 334 W.
The surface is uneven and stony; soil, to a considerable extent,
fertile. Connecticut r. bounds it on the E., and here enters
Long Island sound. The bar at its mouth has 12 feet of water at
the highest tides. Watered by Chester, Pettipaug, and Pochaug
rivers. The harbor is on a cove which sets up from Connecticut
r. The r. is not frozen here in the winter. The shad fishery in
the spring is very valuable. Large quantities of whitefish are
taken, and used for manure. The v. at the point contains 1
Congregational and 1 Episcopal Church. The borough of Essex, 7
ms. from the mouth of the r., contains 4 churches, 1
Congregational, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, an
academy, 8 or 10 stores, an extensive ropewalk, and about 1,000
inhabitants. Considerable ship building is carried on. A number
of vessels are owned here employed chiefly in the coasting
trade. The t. 1 was first settled in 1635. A ferry crosses
Connecticut r. to Lyme. There are in the t. 16 stores, cap.
$81,046; 2 lumber yards, cap. $10,000; 4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $131,250. 2 acad. 66 students, 13 sch. 578 scholars.
Saybrook, p-t., Ashtabula co., O., 200 n. e. Columbus, 347 W.
Lake Erie lies a little n. of it. Organized in 1826. The name
was changed from Wrightsburg in 1826. Many of the inhabitants
came from Saybrook, Ct. It has 8 sch 413 scholars. Pop. 934.
Saylorsburg, p-v., Monroe co., Pa., 112 n. e Harrisburg, 205 W.
Sayville, p-o., Islip t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 199 s. s. e.
Albany, 279 W.
Scaffle Cain, p-o., Rockcastle co., Ky., 70 s. s. e. Frankfort,
Scaffold Prairie, p-o., Greene co., Ia., 83 s. w. Indianapolis,
Scantic Village, p-v., E. Windsor t., Hartford co., Ct., 12 n.
e. Hartford, 348 W.
Scarborough, p-t., Cumberland co., Me., 10 s. w. Portland, 59 s.
w. Augusta, 536 W. It is bounded s. e. by the Atlantic. The soil
is fertile, with considerable salt marsh. It has 4 stores, cap.
$400; 2 tanneries, 4 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $4,260. 14 sch.
854 scholars. Pop. 2,172.
Scarborough, p-o., Scriven co., Ga., 63 E. by s. Milledgeville,
Scarsdale, t., Westchester co., N. Y., 4 B. White Plains, 135 s.
Albany. The surface is rolling; soil, sandy and clay loam.
Drained by Bronx r., which bounds it on the w.
Schaghticoke, p-t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 20 n. Albany, 390 W.
The surface is undulating; soil, sand, clay, and loam. Hudson r.
bounds it on the w. Drained by Hoosic r. and Tomhanic cr. The v.
is situated on Hoosic r., 4 miles e. Hudson r., and contains 3
churches, 6 stores, 2 cotton fac. 6,000 sp. 150 looms, 1 machine
shop, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 clothier's works, 2 powder m., 175
dwellings, and about 1,400 inhabitants. It possesses a great
water power. The t. has 10 stores, cap. $18,700; 1 fulling m., 4
cotton fac. 5,307 sp., 2 powder m., 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $209,550. 15 sch. 839 scholars. Pop. 3,339.
Schellsbury, p-o., Bedford co., Pa., V2w Harrisburg, 138 W.
Schenectady, County, N. Y. Situated toward the
e. part of the state, and contains 200 square ms. The surface is
diversified; soil, various The flats along the Mohawk r. are
extensive, and very fertile. Watered by Mohawk r. The Erie Canal
and the western and northern railroads pass through it. Capital,
Schenectady. There were in 1840, neat cattle 10,808, sheep
18,094, swine 13,063; wheat 13,113 bush, produced, rye 52,278,
Ind. corn 62,597, buckwheat 41,238, bar-ley 100,524, oats
216,963, potatoes 240,535, sugar 4,423 pounds; 45 stores, cap.
$78,800; 2 furnaces, 7 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac.
2,000 sp., 4 tanneries, 1 brewery, 1 flouring m., 8 grist I m.,
23 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly [newspaper.
Cap. in manufac. $113,700, 1 college 30 students, 3 acad. 83
students, 57 scholars 1 1,972 scholars. Pop. 17,387.
Schenectady, city, and capital of Schenectady co., N. Y., 16 n.
w. Albany, 384 W. Situated on the s. bank of Mohawk r. It is an
ancient place, having been settled by the Dutch as a trading
post in 1620. It was chartered as a city in 1798, and contains a
city hall, jail, clerk's and surrogate's office, a market,
lyceum, female academy, 3 banking houses, besides a savings
bank, 9 churches, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal,
1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 Cameronian, 1 Universalist, 1 Roman
Catholic, and 1 African, 100 stores and groceries, 1 cotton fac,
2 flouring m., 2 iron foundries, 1 brewery, 1 tobacco fac, 1
steam flouring m., 3 tanneries, 2 machine shops, 1 plough and
wagon fac, 1,000 dwellings, and 6,784 inhabitants. The buildings
of Union College, 3 in number and spacious, are pleasantly
situated on an eminence, half a mile e. of the city. This
institution was founded in 1795, contains a president and 11
professors or other instructors, has had 2,029 alumni, of whom
308 have been ministers of the gospel, has 258 students and
13,000 volumes in its libraries. The commencement is on the 4th
Wednesday of July. Its philosophical and other apparatus is very
complete. Attached to this college is about 250 acres of land,
part of which is designed to be appropriated to groves and
Schlosser, N. Y., the site of an old fort, a little above
Niagara Falls, rendered famous by the burning of the Caroline
steamboat by the British, during the late Canadian rebellion.
Schimicksburg, p-v., 3Iahoning t, Indiana co., Pa., 179 w.
Harrisburg, 232 W. Situated on Little Mahoning cr., and contains
a store and 8 or 10 dwellings.
Schodac, t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 14 s. Troy, 7 s. by E.
Albany. The surface is undulating and hilly; soil, clay, loam,
sand, and gravel. Drained by small creeks, flowing into Hudson
r., which bounds it on the w. It has 13 stores, cap. 832,150; 3
fulling m., 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $14,500. 23
schools 1,133 scholars. Pop. 4,125.
Schodac Centre, p-o., Schodac t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 6 s. by
e. Albany, 371 W. Here is a small settlement.
Schodac Landing, p-v., Schodac t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 12 s.
by e. Albany, 358 W. Situated on the e. side of Hudson r., and
contains 1 church, 2 stores, 2 warehouses, 50 dwellings, and
about 350 inhabitants. Several sloops owned here ply between
this place and New York.
Schoeneck, p-o., Lancaster co., Pa., 45 e. Harrisburg, 135 W.
Schoharie, County, N. Y. Situated toward the e.
part of the state, and contains 621 sq. ms. Organized in 1795.
The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, fertile, especially
on the streams. On the uplands it is adapted to grazing. Watered
by Schoharie creek and its tributaries. Water limestone, bog
iron ore, and sulphur springs are found. The latter, at Sharon,
are becoming celebrated. Capital, Schoharie. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 37,633, sheep 71,258, swine 31,865; wheat 72,871
bush, produced, rye 129,342, Indian corn 67,890, buckwheat
80,609, barley 217,478, oats 497,953, potatoes 600,396, sugar
133,766 pounds; 81 stores, cap. $188,500; 30 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 32 tanneries, 1 brewery, 36 grist m., 160 saw m., 1
paper fac, 2 printing offices, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $163,000. 5 acad. 306 students, 199 schools 9,294
scholars. Pop. 32,353.
Schoharie, p-t., capital of Schoharie co., N. Y., 32 w. Albany,
383 W. The surface is uneven, with fertile flats on the streams.
Watered by Schoharie and Fox creeks. The v. contains a court
house, jail, county clerk's office, 1 Lutheran church, an
academy, 4 stores, various mechanic shops, 1 grist m., 2 or 3
saw m., 60 dwellings, and about 450 inhabitants. There are in
the t. 17 stores, cap. $52,300; 8 fulling m., 4 tanneries, 1
paper fac, 2 printing offices, 1 weekly newspaper, 7 grist m.,
32 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $35,700. 2 acad. 124 students, 25
sch. 1,345 scholars. Pop. 5,534.
Schoharie, cr., rises in Greene co., among the Catskill
Mountains, and flows n. into the Mohawk r., in Montgomery co. It
is a rapid stream, and with its tributaries, affords water
Schoodic Lakes, Washington co., Me. They are a collection of
lakes connected by boatable communications, the outlet of which
forms a large eastern branch of St. Croix r. They cover a large
surface, their borders are densely wooded, and they furnish a
great amount of lumber.
Schoolcraft, p-v., Kalamazoo co., Mich., 149 w. Detroit, 608 W.
The v. is situated near the centre of Prairie Ronde, in the
midst of a fertile farming country. It contains 3 stores, and
about 250 inhabitants.
Schooley's Mountain, N. J., forms a part of a chain which
extends in a n. e. and s. w. direction across the state, from
the Delaware to the Hudson r. It crosses the n. w. part of
Morris co., with a height of 600 feet above its base, and about
1,100 feet above the level of the ocean. It is crossed by a
turnpike road leading from New York to Easton. A mineral spring
near its top has given it considerable celebrity.
Schooley's Mount, p-v., Washington t., Morris co., N. J., 56 n.
Trenton, 218 W. The spring here located has a temperature of 56°
Fahrenheit r and discharges 30 gallons an hour. The spring
contains muriate of soda, muriate of lime, muriate of magnesia,
sulphate of lime, carbonate of magnesia, silex, and carbonated
oxide of iron. The pure air and the romantic scenery of this
region render it a healthful and pleasant place of sum-mer
resort. There are 3 well kept hotels, besides private boarding
houses in the vicinity. The region abounds with magnetic iron
ore. Seven miles from the spring, on the mountain, is Budd's
pond, 2 ms. long and 1 broad, of great depth, clear as crystal,
abounding with fish, and furnished with a boat. There is a
church and a school in the vicinity of the spring.
Schoolfield's Store, p-o., Bledsoe co., Tenn., 124 s. e.
Nashville, 589 W.
Schroeppel, t., Oswego co., N. Y., 16 s. e. Oswego, 150 w. n. w.
Albany. The surface is rolling; soil, sandy loam. Watered by
Oneida and Oswego rivers, which bound it on the s. and w. It has
4 stores, cap. $8,150; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m. Cap.
in manufac. $8,700. 555 scholars in schools. Pop. 2,098.
Schroon, r., N. Y., rises in Essex co., and flowing s. enters
Hudson r. in Warren co.
Schroon, lake, N. Y., lies partly in Essex co., and partly in
Warren co., and is 10 ms. long, and from 1 to 2 wide. Its waters
abound with fish, and its shores with game.
Schroon, t., Essex co., N. Y., 95 n. Albany. The surface is
mountainous on the E. and w. with an intervening valley, which
abounds with ponds and lakes. Watered by the head branches of
Schroon r. The soil is sandy loam, with some clay, and covered
with dense forests. The v., situated on Schroon lake, contains 1
store, 1 forge, 2 saw m., and several dwellings. There are in
the t. 2 stores, cap. $5,000; 2 fulling m., 2 forges, 2
tanneries, 2 grist m., 56 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $91,250. 16
sch. 450 scholars. Pop. 1,660.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!