Schroon Lake, NY to Searcy, County, AR
Schroon Lake, p-o., Schroon t, Essex co., N. Y., 95 n. Albany,
Schultzville, p-o., Clinton t., Dutchess co., N. Y.
Schumla, p-o., Wood CO., Va.
Schuyler, County, Ill. Situated in the w. part
of the state, and contains 360 sq. ms. Illinois r. runs on its
s. e. border. Drained by Crooked, Crane, McKee's, and Sugar
creeks. The surface is undulating; soil, very fertile, and much
of it heavily timbered. Capital Rushville. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 6,760, sheep 5,246, swine 17,838; wheat 36,800 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 293,033, oats 37,283, potatoes 23,545,
tobacco 1,424 pounds; 1 commission house, cap. $1,500; 19
stores, cap. $28,850; 7 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 9 grist m.,
17 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 daily newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $76,610. 14 sch. 545 scholars. Pop. 6,972.
Schuyler, t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 7 w. Herkimer, 87 w. N. w.
Albany. The surface is hilly, but mostly capable of cultivation;
soil, very fertile in the valley of the Mohawk r., which bounds
it on the s. It has 1 store, cap. $2,800; 1 grist m., 3 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $8,100. 10 sch. 395 scholars. Pop. 1,798.
Schuyler's Falls, p-o., Plattsburg t., Clinton co., N. Y., 157
n. Albany, 532 W.
Schuyler's Lake, p-o., Exeter t., Otsego co., N. Y., 75 w.
Albany, 365 W.
Schuylersville, p-v., Saratoga t. and co., N. Y., 34 n. Albany,
406 W. Situated on the w. side of Hudson r. Incorporated in
1831, and contains 3 churches, an academy, 10 stores, and, on
Fish cr., 1 cotton fac, 1 woolen fac, 1 flour-ing m., 1 iron
foundry, 1 machine shop, 90 dwellings, and about 600
Schuylkill, r., Pa., rises by 3 principal branches in Schuylkill
co., and pursuing a s. e. course, it enters Delaware r. 7 ms.
below Philadelphia. It is about 140 ms. long, and receives
several tributaries, the most important of which are Tulpehocken
cr., from the w. and Perkiomen cr., from the e. Vessels of from
300 to 409 tons ascend to the western wharves of Philadelphia,
where its average depth, at common tides, is from 13 to 14 feet.
By means of canals and pools, it is navigable from Fairmount dam
above Philadelphia, to Port Carbon, in Schuylkill co., 108 ms.
An immense amount of coal is transported on it. A canal is
constructed along Tulpehocken cr. connecting it with Swatara
cr., and thus uniting the Schuylkill r. with Susquehanna River.
Schuylkill, County, Pa. Situated toward the e.
part of the state, and contains 660 sq. ms. Drained by
Schuylkill r. and its branches, and small streams which flow
into Susquehanna r. The surface is hilly and mountainous; and
excepting near the streams, the soil is rough, rocky, and
sterile. It is celebrated for its immense deposits of mineral
coal, which is extensively mined and sent to market. Capital,
Orwigsburg. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,595, sheep 6,107,
swine 7,864; wheat 23,744 bush, produced, rye 85,858, Ind. corn
45,971, buckwheat 26,731, oats 75,810, potatoes 102,267; 99
stores, cap. $334,700; 431,370 tons of anthracite coal produced;
4 furnaces, 3 forges, 11 tanneries, 1 distillery, 5 breweries, 2
powder m., 4 printing offices, 1 bindery, 4 weekly newspapers, 5
flouring m., 33 grist m., 189 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $223,820.
3 acad. 127 students, 31 sch. 880 scholars. Pop. 29,053.
Schuylkill, p-t, Chester co., Pa., 78 s. s. e. Harrisburg, 157
W. Situated on Schuylkill r. The surface is level; soil, sandy
loam. Watered by French and Stony creeks. It contains 3
villages. It has 6 sch. 439 scholars. Pop. 2,079.
Schuylkill, t., Schuylkill co., Pa. It has 4 stores, cap.
$8,000; 2 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,400. 3 sch. 150
scholars. Pop. 1,334.
Schuylkill Bend, p-o., Berks co., Pa., 57 e. Harrisburg, 150 W.
Schuylkill Haven, p-v., Manheim t., Schuylkill co., Pa., 58 n.
e. Harrisburg, 168 W. Situsited immediately below the confluence
of West Branch with Schuylkill r. It contains several stores,
about 150 dwellings, and 990 inhabitants. The Schuylkill canal
passes through it, and the West Branch railroad extends from it
to the coal mines, at the foot of Broad Mountain.
Schwenck's Store, p-o., Montgomery co., Pa., 83 e. Harrisburg,
Scienceville, p-v., Windham t., Greene co., N. Y., 48 s. w.
Albany, 365 W. It contains 3 stores, 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, and
20 or 25 dwellings.
Scio, p-t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 15 s. Angelica, 266 w. by s.
Albany, 320 W. The surface is hilly and broken; soil, moist clay
and loam, heavily timbered with pine, hemlock, and other trees.
Drained by Genesee r. It has 2 stores, cap. $3,500; 2 tanneries,
1 grist, m., 14 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $17,650. 2 sch. 24
scholars. Pop. 1,156.
Scio, p-o., Harrison co., O.
Scio, p-t., Washtenaw co., Mich., 56 w. Detroit, 542 W. Watered
by Huron r., and Honey and Mill creeks. It has 9 stores, cap.
$24,600; 1 tannery, 2 flouring m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
Scioto, r., O., is the second in magnitude of those flowing
wholly in the state. It rises in Hardin co., and flowing through
Marion and Del-aware, into Franklin co., it receives, just above
Columbus, from the n., Whetstone or Olentangy r., whence it
flows nearly s. to its junction with the Ohio, at Portsmouth,
where it is 150 yards wide. It is about 160 ms. long, and is
navigable 130, to the mouth of Little Scioto River. It flows
through a highly fertile country.
Scioto, County, O. Situated in the s. part of
the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. The surface is uneven; soil
fertile, particularly on the river bottoms. Ohio r. bounds it on
the s. Watered by Scioto and Little Scioto rivers, and their
branches. The Ohio canal passes through it, and enters the Ohio
r. at Portsmouth. Capital, Portsmouth. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 7,547, sheep 9,502, swine 11,077; wheat 44,370 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 322,360, barley 1,000, oats 81,577, potatoes
14,960, sugar 7,049 pounds; 5 commercial and 4 commission
houses, capital $5,400; 44 stores, cap. $79,300; 2 tanneries, 4
flouring m., 15 grist m., 15 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $43,022. 42
sch. 1,243 scholars. Pop. 11,192.
Scioto, t., Delaware co., O. Situated on the w. side of Scioto
r. It has 7 sch. 160 scholars. Pop. 877.
Scioto Bridge, p-o., Scioto t., Delaware co., O.
Scioto, p-o., Scioto co., O., 105 s. Columbus, 439 W.
Scioto, t., Jackson co., O. It has 3 stores, cap. $875; 1 grist
m., 1 saw m. Pop. 931.
Scioto, t., Pickaway co., O. It has 1 sch. 15 scholars. Pop.
Scioto, t., Ross co., O. Pop. 1,377.
Scipio, p-t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 8 s. Auburn, 164 w. Albany, 329
W. The surface is slightly undulating; soil, clay, loam, and
alluvion, fertile, and well cultivated. Owasco Lake bounds it on
the e. Drained by Salmon cr., flowing into Cayuga Lake. It has 5
stores, cap. $23,000; 1 falling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 2 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $10,650. 1 acad. 36 students, 18sch. 828
scholars. Pop. 2,255.
Scipio, t., Meigs co., O. It has 6 schools, 244 scholars. Fop.
Scipio, t, Hillsdale co., Mich. It has 1 grist m. Cap. in
manufac. $0,000. 3 sch. 87 scholars. Pop. 634.
Scipio, t., Seneca co., O. It has 3 stores, cap. $4,500; I grist
m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,120. 8 sch. 107 scholars. Pop.
Scipio, p-v., Jennings co., Ia., 56 s. s. E. Indianapolis, 578
Scipioville, p-o., Scipio t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 164 w. Albany,
Scitico, p-o., Hartford co., Ct., 20 n. n. e. Hartford, 356 W.
Scituate, p-t., Plymouth co., Mass., 26 s. e. by s. Boston, 454
W. Bounded n. e. by the Atlantic. North r. runs on its s.
border, and near the harbor turns to the s. e., and runs 3 miles
nearly parallel with the shore, leaving between itself and the
ocean a curious beach, formed of round, smooth pebbles, elevated
from 20 to 40 feet above tidewater. There are in the t. 7
churches, 2 Unitarian, 1 Congregationalist, 2 Methodist, 1
Baptist, and 1 Universalist. The harbor is small and of
difficult access, but as many as 30 fishing and coasting vessels
are owned here. The v. contains about 30 dwellings. The t. has
16 stores, cap. $16,900; 9 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$50,400. 21 sch. 1,025 scholars. Pop. 3,886.
Scituate, t., Providence co., R. I., 12 w. Providence. The
surface is uneven, and in some parts rough and broken; soil,
gravelly loam, adapted to grazing. Watered by the n. branch of
Pawtuxet r. It contains 1 Baptist and 2 Congregational churches,
an academy, and a bank. It has 15 stores, cap. $12,850; 1
fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 11 cotton fac, 19,654 sp., 6 grist m.,
6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $411,130. 2 acad. 62 students, 19 sch.
864 scholars. Population, 4,090.
Sconondoah, p-v., Verona t., Onieda co., N. Y., 115 w. n. w.
Albany, 378 W. It is situated on the n. side of Sconondoah cr.,
and contains 1 store, several mechanic shops, 1 saw m., 1 cotton
fee, and a few dwellings.
Scotch Plains, p-v., Westfield t., Essex co., N. J., 42 n. w.
Trenton, 209 W. Situated on Greenbrook.
Scotch Town, p-v., Wallkill t., Orange co., N. Y., 107 s. s. w.
Albany, 284 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian Church, 2 stores, and
12 or 15 dwellings.
Scotia, p-v., Glenville t., Schenectady co., N. Y., 18 n. w.
Albany, 386 W. Situated on the N. side of Mohawk r., 1 mile w.
Schenectady. It contains 2 churches, 3 stores, 40 dwellings, and
about 200 inhabitants.
Scotia, p-v., Pope co., Ark., 83 N. w. Little Rock, 1,148 W.
Situated on n. bank of Arkansas r., and contains about 40
Scotland, County, Mo. Situated in the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 036 sq. ms. Drained by Wyaconda,
North Fabius, and the n. fork of Salt rivers. The surface is
level. Capital, Edina.
Scotland, p-o., York co., Me., 96 s. w. Augusta, 506 W.
Scotland, p-o., Plymouth co., Mass., 33 s. Boston, 427 W.
Scotland, p-v., Windham t, Windham co., Ct., 35 e. Hartford, 362
W. It contains a Congregational church, several stores, and a
pleasant v. built on one street.
Scotland, p-o., Ramapo t., Rockland co., N. Y., 126 s. by w.
Albany, 260 W.
Scotland Neck, p-o., Halifax co., N. C, 108 n. e. Raleigh, 232
Scott, County, Va. Situated toward the s. w.
part of the state, and contains 624 sq. ms. Drained by the n.
fork of Holston r., and by Clinch r. and their branches. The
surface is broken and rough; soil, moderately fertile. Capital,
Estillville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,520, sheep
13,532, swine 24,095; wheat 39,534 bush, produced, rye 2,729,
Ind. com 294,705, buckwheat 337, oats 111,849, potatoes 16,648,
tobacco 7,339 pounds, sugar 59,547; 8 stores, cap. $31,500; 4
tanneries, 63 distilleries, 10 flouring m., 28 grist m., 13 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $21,805. 8 sch. 206 scholars. Pop. whites
6,911, slaves 344, free col'd 48; total, 7,303.
Scott, County, Miss. Situated a little s. e. of
the centre of the stale, and contains 576 sq. ms. Drained by
branches of Pearl r., and by head branches of Leaf r. Capital,
Hillsboro. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,898, sheep 607,
swine 7,533; wheat 1,255 bush, produced, Ind. corn 50,564, oats
1,453, potatoes 8,020, rice 6,200 pounds, tobacco 1,439, cotton
374,156; 7 stores, cap. $16,019; 6 tanneries, 3 grist m., 2 saw
m. Pop. whites 1,189, slaves 462, free col'd 2; total, 1,653.
Scott, County, Ky. Situated toward the n part
of the state, and contains 252 sq. ms. It has a fertile soil.
Drained by North Elkhorn and Eagle creeks, and their branches.
Capital, Georgetown. There were in 1840, neat cattle 13,723,
sheep 22,380, swine 37,596; wheat 105,428 bush, produced, rye
62,940, Ind. corn 999,470, oats 167,890, potatoes 20,869, sugar
2,300 pounds; 31 stores, cap. $149,200; 2 woolen fac, 4
tanneries, 16 flouring m., 19 grist; m., 20 saw m., 1 paper fac,
1 printing office, 1 semi-weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$157,060. 1 college, 114 students, 2 acad. 160 students, 26 sch.
719 scholars. Pop. whites 8,220, slaves 5,339, free col'd 109;
Scott, County, Ia. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, and contains 200 sq. ms. Drained by Graham's fork
of White r. and its branches. The surface is gently undulating.
Capital, Lexington. There were in 1840, neat cattle 2,589, sheep
3,647, swine 4,603; wheat 15,229 bush, produced, Ind. corn
52,253, oats 31,254, potatoes 3,146, tobacco 6,615 pounds, sugar
3,795; 7 stores, cap. $4,900; 8 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $5,200. 2 sch. 55 scholars. Pop. 4,242.
Scott, County, Ill. Situated in the w. part of
the state, and contains 240 sq. ms. Illinois r. bounds it on the
w., by small tributaries of which it is drained. Capital,
Winchester. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,354, sheep 6,409,
swine 17,518; wheat 41,925 bush, produced, Ind. corn 424,000,
oats 51,435, potatoes 15,461; 1 com. house, cap. $35,000; 30
stores, cap. $44,420; 4 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 2 potteries,
7 flouring m., 12 grist m., 17 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $77,405.
1 acad. 60 students, 16 sch. 415 scholars. Pop. 6,215.
Scott, County, Mo. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, and contains 936 sq. ms. The surface is various;
soil, generally very fertile. The Mississippi r. runs on its e.
border. Drained by White Water and James's rivers. Capital,
Benton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 3,140, sheep 1,738,
swine 26,909; wheat 10,111 bush, produced, Ind. corn 398,690,
oats 13,174, potatoes 7,718, tobacco 161,150 pounds, cotton
4,466; 15 stores, cap. $32,150; 1 tannery, 3 distilleries, 3
potteries, 19 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,375. 6
sch. 134 scholars. Pop. whites 2,587, slaves 458, free col'd 11;
Scott, County, Iowa. Situated in the e. part of
the ter., and contains 540 sq. ms. The surface is gently
rolling; soil, very fertile. The Mississippi r. bounds it on the
s. E., and Wabesipinica r. runs on its n. border. Drained by
Allen's, Duck, and Crow creeks. Capital, Davenport. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 2,375, sheep 273, swine 5,643; wheat 25,740
bush, produced, Ind. corn 46,057, oats 11,720, potatoes 30,002;
16 stores, cap. 1 16,500; 1 distillery, 1 pottery, 2 flouring
m., 3 grist in., 9 saw m., 1 print-ing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $49,350. 1 acad. 25 students, 5 sch.
123 scholars. Pop. 2,140.
Scott, County, Ark. Situated in the w. part of
the state, and contains 950 sq. ms. Drained by a branch of
Arkansas r. Capital, Boonville. There were in 1840, neat cattle
3,616, sheep 591, swine 10,272; wheat 1,516 bush, produced, Ind.
corn 104,355, oats 2,996, potatoes 7,369, cotton 13,190 pounds;
1 distillery, 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,500. 5
sch. 103 scholars. Pop. whites 1,542, slaves 131, free col'd 21;
Scott, p-t., Cortland co., N. Y., 149 w. Albany, 325 W. The
surface is somewhat broken; soil, a fertile argillaceous and
calcareous loam. Drained by head branches of Toughnioga r. and
the inlet of Skeneateles lake, which touches its N. w. corner.
It has 2 stores, cap. $6,500; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 9 saw m., 1
oil m. Cap. in manufac. $21,650. 9 sch. 447 scholars. Pop.
Scott, p-t., Wayne co., Pa., 199 n. e. Harris-burg, 293 W.
Susquehanna r. bounds it on the w. Drained by Starucca,
Shrawder's, and Shoohokin creeks. The surface is hilly; soil,
gravel and loam. Timbered with beech and maple. It has 3 sch. 53
scholars. Pop. 365.
Scott, p-t., Adams co., O., 95 s. by w. Columbus, 460 W. It has
3 stores, cap. $3,550; 3 grist m., 2 saw m. Pop. 916.
Scott, t., Marion co., O. It has 1 store, cap. $550; 1
distillery, 4 sch. 175 scholars. Pop. 854.
Scott, t., Sandusky co., O. It has 8 sch. 304 scholars. Pop.
Scott, p-t.. La Grange co., Ia., 183 Indianapolis, 586 W.
Scott, t., Montgomery co., Ia. It has 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop.
Scott, t., Vanderburgh co., Ia. Pop. 1,213.
Scottsburg, p-v., Halifax co., Va., 119 s. w. Richmond, 217 W.
It contains 1 store, several dwellings, and about 50
Scotts Creek, p-o., Haywood co., N. C, 312 w. Raleigh, 542 W.
Scotts Ferry, p-o., Albemarle co., Va., 73 n. w. Richmond, 137
Scotts Ridge, p-o., Fairfield co., Ct.
Scottsville, p-v., Wheatland t, Monroe co., N. Y., 232 w. by n.
Albany, 372 W. Situated on Allen's creek, on the line of the
Genesee Val-ley canal. It contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Episcopal, and 1 Methodist, 8 stores, 2 grist m., 1 plaster m.,
2 saw m., 1 clothier's works, 1 distillery, 80 dwellings, and
about 500 inhabitants.
Scottsville, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa., 40 n. n. w. Wilkesbarre.
Scottsville, p-v., capital of Powhatan co., Va., 33 w. Richmond,
150 W. Situated on elevated ground, and contains a court house,
jail, 3 stores, and about 25 dwellings.
Scottsville, p-o., Orange co., N. C, 57 n. w. Raleigh, 291 W.
Scottsville, p-v., Bibb co., Ala., 30 s. e. Tuscaloosa, 814 W.
Scottsville, p-v., capital of Allen co., Ky., 148 s. w.
Frankfort, 671 W. Situated on a branch of Green r., and contains
a court house, jail, and several stores and dwellings.
Scottsville, p-v., Lee co., Ill., 149 n. Spring-field, 854 W.
Scriba, p-t., Oswego co., N. Y., 167 n. w. Albany, 377 W. It
contains a part of the v. of Oswego. The surface is uneven;
soil, sandy loam, moderately fertile. Lake Ontario bounds it on
the n., into which its streams flow, and afford water power.
Oswego r. runs on its w. border. Old Fort Oswego was erected
near the mouth of Oswego r., in 1727. It has 2 stores, cap.
$5,500; 1 lumber yard, cap. $7,000; 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 1 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $172,816. 17 sch. 1,047 scholars. Pop.
Scriven, County, Ga. Situated toward the s. E.
part of the state, and contains 748 sq. ms. Savannah r. runs on
its n. e. border, and Ogeechee r. on its s. w. border. Watered
by Brier cr. and its branches, and by Little Ogeechee r.
Capital, Jacksonboro. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,533,
sheep 2,876, swine 8,004; wheat 1,806 bush, produced, rye 1,055,
Ind. corn 147,305, oats 1,350, potatoes 11,899, cotton 858,202
pounds, sugar 1,820; 6 stores, cap. $15,700; 1 tannery, 7 grist
m., 6 saw m., 4 sch. 66 scholars. Pop. whites 2,162, slaves
2,623 free col'd 9; total, 4,794.
Scroggsfield, p-v., Fox t., Carroll co., O., 132 e. n. e.
Columbus, 291 W.
Scuffleton, p-v., Greene co., N. C, 102 e. s. e. Raleigh, 312 W.
Scuffletown, p-v., Laurens dist., S. C, 78 n. w. Columbus, 504
W. Situated on s. side of Saluda r.
Scull Camp, p-o., Surry co., N. C, 167 w. by n. Raleigh, 348 W.
Scurlock's Spring, p-o., Jackson co., Flor.
Scull Shoals, p-o., Greene co., Ga., 65 n Milledgeville, 608 W.
Poulain's bridge here crosses the Oconee r,. where is a store
and several mills.
Scull Town, p-v., Upper Perm's Neck t., Salem co., N. J., 12 n.
e. Salem, 51 s. Trenton, 162 W. Situated at the head of
navigation on Oldman's cr., which flows into Delaware r. It
contains 3 stores and about 30 dwellings.
Seabrook, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H, 47 s. e. Concord, 480 W.
Situated in the s. e. comer of the state, bounded e. by the
Atlantic. Watered by Black, Brown's, and Walton rivers.
Chartered in 1768. Bog iron ore is found on some of its streams.
Whaleboat building is extensively carried on. It has 5 stores,
cap. $4,500; 2 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 acad. 25 students, 4 sch.
150 scholars. Pop. 1,392.
Seaconnet, point, Little Compton t., R. I., 6 e. s. e. Newport,
forms the s. point of the e. entrance of Narraganset bay. A
breakwater has been here erected by the general government.
Seaford, p-v., Sussex co., Del., 46 s. Dover, 121 W. Situated on
Seal, t., Pike co., O. It has 8 stores, cap. $12,180; 1 fulling
m., 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,180. 10 sch. 224
scholars. Pop. 1,835.
Seal Cove, p-o., Hancock co., Me., 113 e. Augusta.
Searcy, County, Ark. Situated toward the N.
part of the state, and contains 850 sq. ms. A range of hills on
its s. border separates it from Van Buren co. Watered by a
branch of White r. Capital, Lebanon. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 1,391, sheep 650, swine 3,769; wheat 1,071 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 38,280, oats 1,742, potatoes 1,330, tobacco
8,826 pounds, cotton 3,878; 2 stores, cap. $1,800; 5 grist m.
Pop. whites 933, slaves 3; total, 936.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!