Sharon, MA to Shenandoah River VA
Sharon, p-t., Norfolk co., Mass., 17 s. s. w. Boston, 425 W. The
surface is uneven. It contains Mashapoag pond, from which flows
a branch of Neponset r. It contains 3 churches, 2 Congregational
and 1 Baptist. The Boston and Providence railroad passes through
the t. It has 3 stores, cap. $5,500; 1 cotton fac. 1,128 sp.
Cap. in manufac. $11,000; 5 sell. 270 scholars. Pop. 1,076.
Sharon, p-t., Litchfield co., Ct., 48 w. Hartford, 332 W. The
surface is hilly or mountainous; soil, gravelly loam, adapted to
grazing and to grain. Housatonic r. bounds it on the e. There
are several ponds in the n. w. part, the outlet of which affords
water power. Several bridges across the Housatonic connect it
with Cornwall. The v. at the centre is pleasantly situated,
principally on one street, and contains 3 churches, 1
Congregational, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Methodist, an academy, and
about 60 dwellings, many of them neat. Incorporated in 1739.
There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $20,300; 1 cotton fac. 720
sp., 1 furnace, 1 forge, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $77,225; 16"sch. 475 scholars. Pop. 2,407.
Sharon, p-t., Schoharie co., N. Y., 43 w. Albany, 392 W. The
surface is elevated and undulating; soil, calcareous loam.
Limestone abounds. It contains some curious caverns, and a
celebrated mineral spring, strongly resembling the White Sulphur
springs of Va., highly efficacious in rheumatic, cutaneous, and
dyspeptic complaints. A splendid hotel has been here erected for
the accommodation of visitors and the scenery around is highly
romantic. It has 8 stores, cap. $26,000; 3 fulling m., 3
tanneries, 2 grist, m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,609. 14
sch. 782 scholars. Pop. 2,520.
Sharon, p-v., Pymatuning t., Mercer co., Pa., 249 w. n. w.
Harrisburg, 292 W. Situated on the w. bank of Shenango cr., and
contains several stores, and about 20 dwellings.
Sharon, t., Potter co., Pa. It has 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$114,500. 2 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 259.
Sharon, p-v., Wythe co., Va., 265 w. by s. Richmond, 333 W.
Situated at the head of the N. fork of Holston r.
Sharon, p-v., Mecklenburg co., N. C, 165 w. s. w. Raleigh, 404
Sharon, p-o., Olive t.. Morgan co., O., 93 e. by s. Columbus,
315 W. It has 1 store, I tannery, 1 oil m., 1 pottery, 12
dwellings, and about 75 inhabitants.
Sharon, t., Franklin co., O. The surface is level or slightly
undulating; soil, fertile. First settled in 1803. It contains
the v. of Worthington. It has 2 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 728.
Sharon, t., Medina co., O., organized in 1830, and contains a
church and an academy. It has 1 store, cap. $1,200; 4 sch. 167
scholars. Pop. 1,315.
Sharon, p-t., Washtenaw co., Mich., 56 w. Detroit, 532 W. The
soil is very fertile, adapted to grain. It has 2 saw m.
Sharon, p-o., Chambers co., Ala.
Sharon, p-v., Whitesides co., Ill., 174 n. Springfield, 869 W.
Sharon, p-v., Madison co., Miss., 30 n. Jackson, 1,005 W.
Sharon Centre, p-o., Sharon t., Schoharie co., N. Y., 46 w.
Albany, 388 W.
Sharon Centre, p-v., Potter co., Pa. n. n. w. Harrisburg, 308 W.
Sharon Centre, p-v., Sharon t., Medina co., O., 126 n. e.
Columbia, 342 W. It contains a church and an academy.
Sharonville, p-v., Hamilton co., O., 102 vv j s. w. Columbus,
Sharpes Store, p-o., Lowndes co., Ga., 256 s. Milledgeville, 900
Sharpesville, p-v., Montgomery co., Ala. 12S s. e. Tuscaloosa,
855 W. I
Sharpsburg, p-v., Alleghany co., Pa., 206 w. Harrisburg, 233 W.
Sharpsburg, p-v., Washington co., Md., 97 n. w. Annapolis, 65 W.
Situated on the e. side of Potomac r.
Sharpsburg, p-v., Bath co., Ky., 62 e. Frankfort, 508 W.
Sharpsburg, p-v., Monroe co., Mo., 94 n. Jefferson City, 942 W.
Sharptown, p-v., Pilesgrove t., Salem co., N. J., 55 s. Trenton,
166 W. Situated on Salem cr., and contains 2 stores, 1 grist m.,
and about 50 dwellings.
Shartleville, p-v., Berks co., Pa., 65 e. Harrisburg, 175 W.
Shavers Creek, p-o., Huntingdon co., Pa., 95 w. Harrisburg, 160
Shavertown, p-o., Andes t., Delaware co., N. Y., 89 s. w.
Albany, 325 W.
Shawangunk, cr., N. Y., rises in Orange co., and flows n. e.
into Wallkill r., in Ulster co.
Shawangunk, mts., N. Y., are a continuation of the Alleghany
chain, extending from the Delaware r., in Orange co., through
Sullivan co., to New Paltz t., in Ulster co. They are cultivated
on the e. declivity, but precipitous on the w. They contain a
Shawangunk, p-t., Ulster co., N. Y., 24 s. w. Kingston, 87 s.
Albany, 296 W. The surface is hilly and mountainous on the n.
w., but rolling or level on the e.; soil, mostly sandy loam, and
very productive. Drained by Shawangunk cr., and Wallkill r. The
v. contains 3 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 woolen fac, 2
distilleries, and about 20 dwellings. 9 mammoth skeletons have
been dug up in this and the adjoining towns, one of which is
exhibited in Peale's Museum in Philadelphia. There are in the t.
6 stores, cap. $30,000; 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 2
saw m. Cap in manufac. $19,250; 19 sch. 795 scholars. Pop.
Shawnee, p-o., Wheatfield t., Niagara co., N. Y., 285 w. by N.
Albany, 410 W.
Shawnee, t., Fountain co., Ia. It has 317 scholars in schools.
Shawnee Prairie, p-o., Fountain co., Ia. 78 w. Indianapolis-,
Shawnee Run, p-o., Mercer co., Ky., 38 s. Frankfort, 546 W.
Shawneetown, p-v., Gallatin co., Ill., 195 s. s. e. Springfield,
762 W. Situated on the n. w. bank of Ohio r., 10 ms. below the
mouth of the Wabash r. The bank of the r. has a gradual ascent,
but not sufficient to prevent inundation in extreme high floods.
It has 12 or 15 stores, a printing office, a bank, a United
States land office, and 862 inhabitants. It was laid out in
1814, and is one of the most commercial places in southern
Illinois. Pop. of the t. 1,780.
Shawono, County, Mich. Situated centrally
toward the n. part of the peninsula, and contains 576 sq. ms.
Watered by the n. and s. branches of Ausable r. and their
tributaries. It is unorganized.
Shaw's Meadows, p-o., Monroe co., Pa., 118 n. e. Harrisburg, 211
Shaws Mills, p-o., Guilford co., N. C, 73 w. by N. Raleigh, 313
Sheboygan, r., Wisconsin Territory, rises in Fond du Lac co.,
near Lake Winnebago, and passing through a small lake in the n.
w. part of Sheboygan co., it proceeds eastwardly, by a winding
course, to Lake Michigan.
Sheboygan, County, Wis. Situated in the e. part
of the territory, and contains 500 sq. ms. Bounded e. by Lake
Michigan. Watered by Sheboygan r. and its branches, and by
branches of Milwaukie r. It has a fertile soil. Capital,
Sheboygan. There were in 1340, neat cattle 59, swine 83; wheat
548 bush, produced, Ind. com 170, oats 985, potatoes 1,808,
sugar 910 lbs.; 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,000.
Sheboygan, v., capital of Sheboygan co., Wis. Situated on the s.
side of Sheboygan r., at its entrance into Lake Michigan.
Sheboygan Falls, p-o., Sheboygan co., Wis., 146 e. n. e.
Madison, 868 W.
Sheepscot, r., Lincoln co., Me., rises in ponds in Palermo t.,
and flows s. about 35 ms., into Sheepscot bay, at Wiscasset,
where is one of the best harbors in Maine. It has falls which
afford good water power.
Sheepscot Bridge, p-v., Lincoln co., Me., 25 s. Augusta, 593 W.
Situated between Wiscasset and Newcastle, where are a small v.
and several mills.
Sheetz Mills, p-o., Hampshire co., Va., 204 n. n. w. Richmond,
Sheffield, p-t., Caledonia co., Vt. 45 n. e. Montpelier, 558 W.
The surface is elevated. Watered by head branches of Pasumpsic
r., which flows to Connecticut r., and of Barton r., which flows
to Lake Memphremagog. It has several small ponds in its n. part.
It has 2 stores, cap. $5,500; 1 fulling m., 1 grist m., 5 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $3,700. 10 sch. 319 scholars. Pop. 821.
Sheffield, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 20 s. Lenox, 28 e.
Hudson, N. Y., 138 w. s. w. Boston, 349 W. The surface is
generally level; soil, a sandy loam or fertile alluvion. Drained
by Housatonic r. and Konkopot r., its tributary and another
small branch from the w., which afford water power. The v. is
pleasantly situated on a plain, on one extended street, and
contains a handsome Congregational church, several stores, and a
number of neat dwellings. It is the oldest t. in the co., having
been chartered in 1733, reduced to its present limits in 1761.
Marble and iron ore are found. There are in the t. 8 stores,
cap. $22,000 ; 2 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 1
grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,000. 1 acad. 160
students, 13 sch. 618 scholars. Pop. 2,322.
Sheffield, p-t., Warren co., Pa., 91 n. w. Harrisburg, 283 W. It
has 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $18,500. 3 sch. 24 scholars. Pop.
Sheffield, p-v., Newton co., Ga., 71 n. w. Milledgeville, 658 W.
Sheffield, p-o., Fayette co., Ala.
Sheffield, p-t., Lorain co., O., 137 n. n. e. Columbus, 3S2 W.
Lake Erie bounds it on the n. Watered by Black r., which is
navigable to the centre of the t. It contains a manual labor
academy. It has 1 gri.st m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,000. 3
sch. 100 scholars. Pop. 521.
Sheffield, t., Ashtabula co., O. Named from Sheffield, Mass. It
has 5 sch. 202 scholars. Pop. 634.
Shelburne, p-t., Coos co., N. H., Ill n. Concord, 594 W. Watered
by Androscoggin r. and its branches. The surface is uneven;
soil, on the streams, fertile. It contains in its s. part an
elevated peak of the White Mountains and a precipitous rocky
elevation near its centre, 60 feet high. Incorporated in 1820.
It has 3 stores, cap. $10,000; 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $2,625; 3 sch. Ill scholars. Pop. 350.
Shelburne, p-t., Chittenden co., Vt., 6 s. Burlington, 48 w. by
n. Montpelier, 505 W. Lake Champlain bounds it on the w. The
surface on the lake shore is level, back of it, it is moderately
uneven; soil, generally fertile, particularly on the lake.
Watered by Laplotte r., which affords water power. The v.
contains a church, common to Episcopalians and
Congregationalism, and a number of dwellings. Laplotte r. enters
the head of Shelburne bay, a fine sheet of water which sets up 4
ms. from the lake, in a s. w. direction, and is navigable. There
are in the t. 1 store, cap. $2,500; 1 fulling m. Pop. 1,098.
Shelburne, p-t., Franklin co., Mass., 5 w. Greenfield, 96 w. by
n. Boston, 406 W. Deerfield r. runs on its w. and s. w. border,
and affords water power. Near the centre is a v. containing a
Congregational church. It has 4 stores , cap. $3,400; 2 fulling
m., 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,700. 2
acad. 460 students, 9 sch. 285 scholars. Pop. 1,022.
Shelburne Falls, p-v., Shelburne t., Franklin co., Mass., 101 w.
by n. Boston, 411 W. Situated on Deerfield river, in the w. part
of the t., where the r. falls 47 feet in 40 rods. It contains a
Baptist church, an academy, and about 30 dwellings, some of them
Shelby, County, Ala. Situated near the centre
of the state, and contains 950 sq. ms. Coosa r. runs on its e.
boundary. Drained by Cahawba r. and its branches, and branches
of Coosa r. Capital, Columbiana. There were in 1840, neat cattle
5,824, sheep 1,944, swine 14,630; wheat 17,023 bush, produced,
Indian corn 179,650, oats 9,946, potatoes 7,223, tobacco 1,197
pounds, cotton 510,383; 6 stores, cap. $13,200; 2 forges, 2
distilleries, 2 flouring m., 8 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $10,850. 6 sch. 45 scholars. Pop. whites 2,013, slaves
1,616, free colored 2; total, 6,112.
Shelby, County, Tenn. Situated in the s. w.
corner of the state, and contains 600 square ms. The Mississippi
r. runs on its w. border. Drained by Loosahatchy, Wolf, and
Nonconna Rivers, which flow into the Mississippi r. The soil is
very fertile. Capital, Raleigh. There were in 1840, neat cattle
15,315, sheep 4,732, swine 39,862; wheat 12,912 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 551.790, oats 23,452, potatoes 36.562, tobacco 36,870
pounds, cotton 1,086,050; 27 commission houses, cap. $1,099,800;
30 stores, 9 grist m., 4 saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly
and 2 semiweekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $20,000. 9 acad.
245 students, 7 sch. 234 scholars. Pop. whites 7,605, slaves
7,043, free col'd 73 ; total, 14,721.
Shelby, County, Ky. Situated in the n. toward
the E. part of the state, and contains 442 sq. ms. Drained by
Brashears cr. and numerous tributaries, and branches of Floyd's
fork, all of which flow into Salt r. Capital, Shelbyville. There
were in 1810, neat cattle 18,747, sheep 30,860, swine 73,011,
wheat 177,721 bushels produced, rye 49,449, Indian corn
l,24'.t,900, oats 197,620, potatoes 17,396, tobacco 947,560
pounds; 25 stores, cap. $151,950; 5 tanneries, 9 distilleries, 2
flouring m., 46 grist m., 21 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $103,845. 6
acad. 337 students, 11 sch. 301 scholars. Pop. whites 11,256,
slaves 6,355, free col'd 157; total, 17,763.
Shelby, County, O. Situated toward the w. part
of the state, and contains 418 square miles. Organized in 1819.
Drained by Miami r. and its branches. The surface is undulating;
soil, fertile. The Miami canal passes through its s. w. part,
with a side cut to Sidney. Capital, Sidney. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 10,509, sheep 10,143, swine 18,941; wheat 78,691
bushels produced, rye 5,498, Ind. corn 253,422, buckwheat 1,795,
oats 131,010, potatoes 29,218, sugar 79,830; 25 stores, cap.
$30,475; 1 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 8 tanneries, 1 distillery,
7 flouring m., 7 grist m., 22 saw m., 1 oil m., 2 printing
offices, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $34,205. 21 sch.
528 scholars. Pop. 12,154.
Shelby, County, Ia. Situated a little s. e. of
the centre of the state, and contains 410 square ms. The surface
is level; soil, very fertile. Drained by Sugar cr., the e.
branch of White r., Big and Little Blue r., and Flat Rock cr.
Capital, Shelbyville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,339,
sheep 13,452, swine 39,618; wheat 61,611 bushels produced, rye
2,775, Indian corn 779,101, oats 85,725, potatoes 16,017,
tobacco 116,254 pounds, sugar 47,561; 25 stores, capital
$41,200; 1 fulling m., 8 tanneries, 12 distilleries, 1 pottery,
1 flouring m., 19 grist m., 19 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac
$32,682. 11 sch. 249 scholars. Pop. 12,005.
Shelby, County, Ill. Situated a little s. e. of
the centre of the state, and contains 1,080 square ms. Watered
by Kaskaskia r. and its tributaries, and head branches of the s.
fork of Sangamon r. The surface consists of timber land and
prairie; soil, very fertile. Capital, Shelbyville. There were in
1840, neat cattle 8,423, sheep 6,693, swine 20,862; wheat 18,595
bush, produced, Ind. corn 385,220, oats 74,392, potatoes 6,729;
16 stores, cap. $45,299; 3 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 2 flouring
m., 18 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $69,570. 18 schools
427 scholars. Pop. 6,659.
Shelby, County, Mo. Situated toward the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 432 square ms. The surface is
level, consisting of timber land and prairie; soil, fertile.
Drained by Salt r. and North Two Rivers, which affords water
power. Coal banks are found on Salt r. Capital, Shelbyville.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,376, sheep 2,059, swine
11,792; wheat 5,195 bushels produced, Ind. corn 134,970, oats
14,775, potatoes 8,117, tobacco 34,826 pounds; 6 stores, capital
$19,800; 1 distillery, 5 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$15,850. 10 sch. 256 scholars. Pop. whites 5,028, slaves 928,
free colored 18; total, 3,056.
Shelby, p-t., Orleans co., N. Y., 10 s. Albion, 262 w. by n.
Albany, 395 W. The surface is generally level; soil, calcareous
loam. Drained by Oak Orchard cr. The v. contains 1 church, 2
stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., and a few dwellings. Shelby Basin
is a v. on the Erie Canal. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap.
$14,000; 2 fulling m., 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$9,900. Pop. 2,643.
Shelby, p-v., Sharon t., Richland co., O., 69 n. by e. Columbus,
394 W. Situated near the head waters of the Black fork of
Mohiccan cr., and contains 2 stores, and about 15 dwellings.
Shelby, p-v., capital of Cleveland co., N. C. It is situated on
the e. side of First Broad r., and contains a court house, jail,
and 10 dwellings. There is a fine mineral spring (sulphurous)
one and three quarter ms. s. of Shelby.
Shelby, t., Jefferson co., Ia. It has 4 sch. 119 scholars. Pop.
Shelby, t., Macomb co., Mich. It has 3 stores, cap. $13,500; 1
flouring m. Cap. in manufac. $15,000. 1 acad. 14 students, 3
sch. 102 scholars. Pop. 1,262.
Shelby Basin, p-v., Shelby t., Orleans co., N. Y., 265 w. by n.
Albany, 400 W. Situated on the Erie canal.
Shelby Corner, p-o., Shelby co., Tenn.
Shelbyville, p-v., capital of Bedford co., Tenn., 59 s. by e.
Nashville, 682 W. Situated on the n. e. side of Duck cr. It
contains a court house, jail, 2 churches, a bank, printing
office, and about 800 inhabitants.
Shelbyville, p-v., capital of Shelby co., Ky., 23 w. by n.
Frankfort, 565 W. Situated on Brashears cr., 12 ms. above its
entrance into Salt r. It contains a court house, jail, a bank, 2
churches, an academy, a printing office, about 180 dwellings,
and 1,335 inhabitants.
Shelbyville, p-t., capital of Shelby co., Ia., 26 s. e.
Indianapolis, 564 W. The v. is situated on the s. side of Blue
r., which is navigable for boats to this place in times of high
water, and affords water power. It contains a brick court house,
jail, 1 Methodist church, and about 600 inhabitants. The t. has
7 stores, cap. $19,000; 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$7,220. 2 sch. 75 scholars. Pop. 446.
Shelbyville, p-v., capital of Shelby co., Ill., 60 s. e.
Springfield, 724 W. Situated on the w. bank of Kaskaskia r. It
contains a brick court house, 40 feet square, 2 stories high,
with a cupola, 9 stores, and about 50 dwellings. It contains a
large sulphur spring.
Shelbyville, p-v., capital of Shelby co., Mo., 101 n. Jefferson
City, 958 W. It contains a court house, 2 stores, and about 200
Sheldon, p-t., Franklin co., Vt., 62 n. Montpelier, 546 W. The
surface is diversified by hills and valleys; soil, generally
fertile, and easily cultivated. Watered by Missisque r. and its
tributary, Black r., which affords water power. It contains an
Episcopal church, and some Congregationalists and Methodists.
Chartered in 1763. First settled in 1790. It has 5 stores, cap.
$10,000; 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$9,700. 9 sch. 226 scholars. Pop. 1,734.
Sheldon, p-t., Wyoming co., N. Y., 265 w. Albany, 363 W. The
surface is hilly; soil moist clay loam, well adapted to grass.
Drained by Tonawanda and Seneca creeks. The v. contains 1
Presbyterian and 1 Episcopal church, 2 stores, 1 tannery, 25
dwellings, and about 125 inhabitants. There are in the t. 6
stores, capital $1,900; 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 2 grist m.,
12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,500. 1 acad. 100 students, 18
sch. 772 scholars. Pop. 2.353.
Shelter Island, t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 20 k. Riverhead, 245 s.
s. e. Albany. It comprises the whole of Shelter island, 6 ms.
long and 4 broad, lying between Great Peconic and Gardiner's
bays. The surface is uneven; soil, light and sandy, with some
level and fertile portions; There is a good ship channel all
round the island, and its headlands present some picturesque
views. A ferry of 120 rods connects it to Southold. It contains
a Presbyterian church, and about 60 dwellings. It has 1 store,
cap. $1,000; 1 grist m., 1 sch. 90 scholars. Pop. 379.
Shell Creek, p-o., Muscogee co., Ga., 141 w. s. w.
Milledgeville, 777 W.
Shelocta, p-v., Armstrong t., Indiana co., Pa., 164 w. by n.
Harrisburg, 217 W.
Shenandoah, r., Va., is a large southern branch of Potomac r.,
composed of the n. branch, which rises in Rockingham co., and
the s. branch, which rises in Augusta co. The latter branch
flows along the w. side of the Blue Ridge, and nearly parallel
to it, to the junction of the two branches in Warren co., whence
the united stream flows n. e. to its junction with the Potomac,
shortly before its passage through the Blue ridge, at Harper's
Ferry. (See Potomac r.)
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!