Shenandoah, County, VA to Silver Creek,
Shenandoah, County, Va. Situated toward the N.
part of the state, and contains 475 square m. The surface is
generally uneven and mountainous, and the soil fertile. Watered
by the n. fork of Shenandoah River. Capital, Woodstock. There
were in 1810, neat cattle 10,582, sheep 12,315, swine 16,424;
wheat 164,275 bush, produced, rye 32,357, Ind. corn 298,649,
buckwheat 3,109, oats 105,090, potatoes 34,980; 31 stores, cap.
$186,287; 3 furnaces, 3 forges, 2 fulling m., 4 woolen fac, 12
tanneries, 2 distilleries, 5 potteries, 23 flouring m., 9 grist
m., 20 saw m., 1 oil m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper.
Cap. in manufac. $178,175. 2 acad. 108 students, 8 sch. 247
scholars. Pop. whites 10,320, slaves 1,033, free col'd 265;
total, 1 1,618.
Shenandoah, p-o., Fishkill t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 93 s.
Albany, 294 W.
Shenandoah Iron Works, p-o., Page co., Va., 115 n. w. Richmond,
Shenango, t., Beaver co., Pa. It has 2 stores, cap. $1,500; 1
fulling m., 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 5 grist
m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $32,900. 4 sch. 162 scholars. Pop.
Shenango, t., Mercer co., Pa., 11 s. w. Mercer b. The surface is
level; soil, clay and loam. Drained by Shenango cr. It has 2
stores, cap. $3,000; 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $1,675. 9 sch. 368 scholars. Pop. 1,354.
Shepherdstown, p-v., Cumberland co., Pa., 18 w. Harrisburg, 102
Shepherdstown, p-v., Jefferson co., Va., 179 n. Richmond, 67 W.
Situated on the s. w. side of Potomac r., 10 miles above
Harper's Ferry, and contains 3 churches, 6 stores, 4 flouring
m., 160 dwellings, and about 1,200 inhabitants.
Shepherdstown, p-v., Wheeling t., Belmont co., O., 4 n. St.
Shepherdsville, p-v., capital of Bullitt co., Ky., 72 w. s. w.
Frankfort, 616 W. Situated on the n. side of Salt r. It contains
a court house, jail, county clerk's office, a seminary, and 300
inhabitants. Paroquette Springs, one mile from the v., on the n.
bank of Salt r., have beautiful grounds and fine buildings for
the accommodation of visiters.
Sherburne, p-t, Rutland co., Vt., 68 s. Montpelier, 468 W. The
surface is mountainous and broken, except a narrow intervale
along Queechee r., which is fertile. Killington Peak, a southern
summit of the Green mountains, having an elevation of 3,924 feet
above tidewater, is in the s. part of this t. Queechee r. rises
here. It has 3 ponds of ten acres each, from one of which issues
Thundering brook, with a considerable fall, affording water
power. Chartered in 1761. First settled in 1785. It has 1 store,
cap. $2,500; 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $800. 8 sch. 156
scholars. Pop. 496.
Sherburne, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 19 s. w. Boston, 420 W.
The surface is elevated; soil, fertile. Watered by Charles r.,
which bounds it on the e., and Sudbury r. The v., at the centre,
contains 2 churches, 1 Congregational and 1 Unitarian. It has
manufactures of boots, shoes, straw bonnets, and whips. It has 3
stores, cap. $6,500; 1 tannery, 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$5,800. 7 sch. 200 scholars. Pop. 995.
Sherburne, p-t., Chenango co., N. Y., 103 w. Albany, 347 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, argillaceous and sandy loam. Drained by
Chenango r. The v. is situated on the E. side of Chenango r., on
the Chenango canal. Incorporated in 1830, and contains 4
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1
Methodist, an academy, 13 stores, 3 forwarding houses, 1
pottery, 1 furnace, 100 dwellings, and about 600 inhabitants.
There are in the t. 13 stores, cap. $45,000; 2 fulling m., 1
tannery, 3 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $30,775. 1 acad.
163 students, 18 sch. 830 scholars. Pop. 2,791.
Sherburne Mills, p-v., Fleming co., Ky., 83 E. Frankfort, 500 W.
Situated on Licking r., and contains 1 Baptist church, and about
Sherers Cross Roads, p-o., Westmoreland co., Pa., 196 w.
Harrisburg, 222 W.
Sheridan, p-t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 324 w. by s. Albany, 351
W. The surface is hilly; soil, clay loam, with some sand.
Drained by Scott's, Walnut, and other creeks, flowing into Lake
Erie, which bounds it on the n. w. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000;
2 tanneries, 10 saw. Cap. in manufac. $19,415. 12 sch. 591
scholars. Pop. 1,883.
Sheridan, t., Calhoun co., Mich. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 1
saw m., 4 sch. 82 scholars. Pop. 534.
Sherman, p-t., Fairfield co., Ct., 57 s. w. Hart-ford, 308 W.
The surface is uneven; soil, gene-rally gravelly loam, fertile
in the valleys. Drained by Rocky r., a branch of Housatonic r.
It contains a Congregational church. It has 3 stores, cap.
$5,200; 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$7,250. 6 sch. 215 scholars. Pop. 938.
Sherman, p-t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 357 w. by s. Albany, 346
W. The surface is uneven; soil, clay and gravelly loam. Drained
by French cr. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,500; 1 fulling m., 1
furnace, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$10,550. 6 sch. 163 scholars. Pop. 1,099.
Sherman, p-t., Huron co., O., 15 s. w. Norwalk, 90 n. by w.
Columbus, 412 W. It has 2 stores, cap. $14,000; 1 fulling m., 2
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $21,300. 3 sch. 74 scholars.
Sherman, p-t., St. Joseph co., Mich., 135 w. bys. Detroit, 534
W. Watered by Prairie cr. It has 1 distillery. Pop. 683.
Sherman, p-o., Cook co., Ill.
Sherrards Store, p-o., Hampshire co., Va., 173 n. w. Richmond,
Sherrills Ford, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C, 159 w. by s. Raleigh,
Sherrodsville, p-o., Carroll co., O., 118 e. n. e. Columbus, 304
Sherwood, p-t., Branch co., Mich., 125 w. s. w. Detroit, 581 W.
The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. It has 3 sch. 53
scholars. Pop. 367.
Sherwoods Corners, p-o., Scipio t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 156 w.
Albany, 321 W.
Shesheq.uin, p-t., Bradford co., Pa., 144 N. Harrisburg, 254 W.
Surface, hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Drained by small creeks
flowing into Susquehanna r. It has 2 stores, cap. $6,000; 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,450. 7 sch.
280 scholars. Pop. 1,010.
Shetucket, r., Ct., rises in Windham and Tolland counties, and
flowing s. receives Quinnebaug r., in Norwich, where it becomes
the principal constituent of Thames r. It receives Natchaug r.
from the e., in Mansfield, and Willimantic r. from the w., in
Windham. It affords good water power.
Shiawassee, County, Mich. Situated in the
central part of the state, and contains 544 square miles.
Drained by Shiawassee, Looking Glass, and Meshtegayock Rivers,
some of which afford good water power. Organized in 1837. The
surface is rolling or level; soil, fertile. Mineral coal is
found. Capital, Corunna. There were in 1840, neat cattle 2,143,
sheep 375, swine 3,807; wheat 19,584 bushels produced, Ind. corn
13,772, 1 oats 10,937, potatoes 23,007, sugar 25,933 pounds; 6
stores, cap. $11,300; 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 8 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $46,878. 11 sch. 260 scholars. Pop. 2,103.
Shiawassee, p-t., Shiawassee county, Mich., 76 N. w. Detroit,
579 W. Situated on Shiawassee r., and contains 2 stores, 1
flouring m., 1 saw m., and is a growing v. There are in the t. 2
stores, cap. $4,300; 1 tannery, 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$12,950. 4 sch. 83 scholar. Pop. j 426.
Shickshinny, mt., Pa., runs along the w. side of Susquehanna r.,
which it crosses in Luzerne County.
Shickshinny, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa., 114 n. e. Harrisburg, 218
Shieldsborough, p-v., capital of Hancock co., Miss., 212 s. by
e. Jackson, 1,162 W. Situated on the w. side of the mouth of St.
Louis bay, which sets up from Lake Borgne. It contains a court
house and about 100 inhabitants.
Shiloh, p-v., Cumberland co., N. J.
Shiloh, p-a, King George co., Va.
Shiloh, p-v., Camden co., N. C, 226 n. e. by e. Raleigh, 286 W.
It contains about 150 inhabitants.
Shiloh, p-o., Troup co., Ga., 128 w. Milledgeville, 732 W.
Shiloh, p-o., Marengo co., Ala., 97 s. Tuscaloosa, 909 W.
Shiloh, p-o., Gibson co., Tenn., 149 w. Nashville, 823 W.
Shingle Creek, p-o., St. Lawrence co., N.
Shinnecock, Bay, Suffolk co., N. Y. It is about 10 miles long,
and 3 to 4 broad, separated from the ocean by a narrow sand
beach. It produces large quantities of fine shell fish.
Shinnston, p-v., Harrison co., Va., 265 n. w. Richmond, 233 W.
It contains 1 church, free to all denominations, 2 stores, 1
grist m., 5 saw m., several lumber yards, 20 dwellings and about
125 inhabitants. Lumber is extensively exported.
Shipley's Ferry, p-o., Sullivan co., Tenn., 282 e. Nashville,
Shippen, p-t., McKean co., Pa., 171 n. w. Harrisburg, 254 W. The
surface is mountainous and rough; barren on the hills, with some
fertile land in the valleys. Drained by Driftwood cr. and
another branch of Sinnemahoning cr. It contains salt springs and
salt works on Driftwood cr. It has 1 store, cap. $5,000; 2 grist
m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,150. Pop. 184.
Shippen, t., Cumberland co., Pa. The surface is level; soil,
calcareous loam. It has 1 distillery, 1 flouring m. Cap. in
manufac. $9,000. 1 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 184.
Shippensburg, p-b., Cumberland co., Pa., 34 s. w. Harrisburg,
101 W. It is situated on Meau's run, a branch of Conedogwinit
cr., which affords water power. Incorporated in 1819, and
contains 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Associate Reformed, 1
Lutheran, and 1 Methodist; 18 stores, cap. $46,800; 3 tanneries,
1 distillery, 1 pottery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper.
Cap. in manufac. $23,850. 6 sch. 350 scholars. Pop. 1,473.
Shippingfort, v., Jefferson co., Ky. Situated on Ohio r., at the
foot of the rapids, and at the w. termination of the steamboat
canal, 2 ms. below Louisville. It is virtually a suburb of
Louisville, though it has a separate incorporation. It contains
10 stores, and about 700 inhabitants.
Shippensville, p-v., Clarion co., Pa., 188 w. s. w. Harrisburg,
277 W. It contains 1 store and about 20 dwellings.
Shiremantown, p-v., Cumberland co., Pa, 4 w. Harrisburg, 103 W.
Shirley, p-t., Piscataquis Co., Me., 84 n. by E. Augusta, 679 W.
Watered by head branches of Piscataquis r. Incorporated in 1834.
It has 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,200. 2 sch. 79 scholars. Pop. 190.
Shirley, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 40 n. w. Boston, 423 W. The
surface is low; soil, fertile, particularly on the streams.
Incorporated in 1753. The v. at the centre contains 1
Congregational and 1 Unitarian church. In the s. w. part is a
society of Shakers, amounting to 200 persons, distinguished, as
they always are, for neatness and industry. It has 3 stores,
cap. $7,800; 3 cot-ton fac. 2,232 sp., 7 sch. 350 scholars. Pop.
Shirley, t., Huntington co., Pa. It has 8 stores, cap. $6,000; I
furnace, 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1 pottery, 4 grist m., 8 saw
m. Capital in manufactures $29,250. 1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop.
Shirleysburg, p-b., Shirley t., Huntingdon co., Pa., 85 s. w.
Harrisburg, 130 W. It contains 3 stores, cap. $11,000; 1
tannery. Cap. in manufac. $3,325. 2 sch. 45 scholars. Pop. 247.
Shirley Village, p-v., Shirley t., Middlesex co., Mass., 41 n.
w. Boston, 423 W. Situated on Nashua r., and contains a
Universalist church, and several mills and manufactories.
Shiwan, p-o., Baltimore co., Md.
Shoal Creek, p-o., Clinton co., Ill., 105 s. Springfield, 780 W.
Shoal, creek, Ill., rises in Montgomery co., and flows into
Shoal Creek, p-o., Johnson co., Ark. 100 n. w. Little Rock,
Shoal Ford, p-o., Limestone co., Ala., 166 n. Tuscaloosa, 721 W.
Shoals of Ogeechee, p-o., Hancock co., Ga., 45 n. e.
Milledgeville, 646 W.
Shober's Mills, p-o., Carroll co., O., 122 e n. e. Columbus, 285
Shocco, p-o., Oktibbeha co., Miss., 123 n. e. Jackson, 903 W.
Shokokon, p-o., Warren co., III., 117 N. w. Springfield, 868 W.
Shop Spring, p-o., Newberry dist., S. C, 46 w. n. w. Columbia,
Shoreham, p-t., Addison, co., Vt., 73 s. w. Montpelier, 469 W.
It is bounded by w. by Lake Champlain, which is here half a mile
wide, with a ferry to Ticonderoga, N. Y., opposite. The surface
is level; soil, very fertile. Drained by Lenonfair River, which
affords water power. It contains a Congregational and a Baptist
church, and an academy. Iron ore is found, and the waters are
impregnated with Epsom salts. Chartered in 1761, first settled
in 1766. It has 4 stores, cap. $39,000; 1 fulling m., 3
tanneries, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,550 1
academy 35 students, 14 sch. 420 scholars. Pop. 1,674.
Short Creek, p-t., Harrison co., O., 120 E. Columbus, 281 W. It
has 9 sch. 233 scholars. Pop. 2,022.
Short Tract, p-o., Granger t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 266 w. by
s. Albany, 345 W.
Shoungola, p-o., Carroll co., Miss., 114 N. Jackson, 975 W.
Shreve, p-o., Wayne co., O., 90 n. e. Columbus, 358 W.
Shreveport, p-v., capital of Caddo par., La., 380 n. w. New
Orleans, 1,260 W. Situated on w. side of Red r. It contains a
court house, and several stores, and about 400 inhabitants.
Shrewsbury, river, Shrewsbury t., Monmouth co., N. J., is a
continuation of Sandy Hook bay, about 5 ms. long, and on an
average about 1½ m. wide. It receives Shrewsbury r. proper, 6 or
7 ms. long. It has considerable salt marsh on its borders.
Shrewsbury, p-t., Rutland co., Vt., 72 s. s. e. Montpelier, 466
W. The surface is mountainous, lying on the Green Mountain
range, and containing Shrewsbury peak, 4,100 feet above
tidewater. The soil is well adapted to grazing. It has 2
considerable ponds. Watered by Mill and Cold rivers, which
afford water power, and flow into Otter Creek River. It contains
a small v. in its s. part, containing a Congregational church.
There are in the t. 4 stores, cap. $12,000; 1 tannery, 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $2,500. 10 sch. 456 scholars. Pop. 1,218.
Shrewsbury, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 37 w. Boston, 404 W. The
surface is pleasantly diversified with hills and valleys, which
are generally well cultivated. Long pond, about 4 miles long,
and from 100 rods to about 1 mile wide, lies between this t. and
Worcester, and is, in some places, 90 feet deep. It contains 12
islands, some of them cultivated, and one, of 150 acres, has
several families on it. This pond is a principal feeder of
Blackstone canal. The t. contains 1 Congregational, 1 Unitarian,
and 1 Baptist church. Peat is found in a meadow in the s. part.
It has 2 stores, cap. $8,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $27,500. 7 sch. 275 scholars. Pop. 1,481.
Shrewsbury, p-t., Monmouth co., N. J., 52 e. Trenton, 218 W. The
surface is level; soil, clay and sandy loam, or marl. Drained by
Nevisink, Shrewsbury, and Shark rs. The shore of the Atlantic,
which bounds it on the e., is generally high and bold, without
marsh. Long Branch, with its fine boarding-houses, is in this
t., and is a great place of summer resort. The v. is between
Shrewsbury and Nevisink rivers, and contains 2 churches, 1
Presbyterian and 1 Episcopal, 2 stores, and about 20 dwellings.
There are in the t. 34 stores, capital $64,120; 1 lumber yard,
cap. $5,000; 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 4 grist m., 3
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,240. 8 sch. 405 scholars. Pop.
Shrewsbury, t., Lycoming co., Pa. It has 1 grist m., 6 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $4,250. 2 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 232.
Shrewsbury, p-t., York co., Pa., 33 s. Harrisburg, 76 W. The
surface is undulating; soil, gravelly and poor. Watered by the
branches of Codorus cr. The borough is in the s. part of the t.,
and contains 2 stores, cap. §16,500; 1 tannery. Cap. in
manufactures $1,575. 1 sch. 65 scholars. Pop. 340. There are in
the t., exclusive of the borough, 2 stores, cap. $6,000; 3
woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 10 distilleries, 1 paper fac, 7 grist
m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $49,775. 3 sch. 40 scholars. Pop.
Shrub Oak, p-o., Yorktown t., Westchester co., N. Y., 112 s.
Albany, 275 W.
Shushan, p-v., Salem t., Washington co., N. Y., 47 n. e. Albany,
417 W. Situated on Battenkill r., and contains a Baptist church,
Shushan Hall, a public building, 1 store, 1 woolen fac, 1 grist
m., 2 saw m., 25 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants.
Shutesbury, p-t., Franklin co., Mass., 79 w. Boston, 397 W. The
surface is uneven and stony; soil, indifferent. Watered by Swift
r. It contains 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1 Congregational
church. There is a pond, covering 700 acres, in its n. part. It
has 2 stores, cap. $4,000; 1 grist m., 11 saw m. cap. in
manufac. $3,900. 10 sch. 250 scholars. Pop. 987.
Siaconset, v., Nantucket co., Mass. Situated in the s. e. part
of .Nantucket Island, having a fine view of the Atlantic, and
open to its breezes. The v. contains 70 dwellings, compactly
built, with a high cliff in its rear. It is a pleasant place of
resort in the summer.
Sibila, p-o., Washington par., La., 94 x. New; Orleans, 1,131 W.
Siddonsburg, p-v., Monahan t., York co., Pa., 11 s. Harrisburg,
Sidney, p-t., Kennebec co., Me., 9 n. Augusta, 604 W. Kennebec
r. runs on its e. border, and; Snow's pond lies on its w.
border, which receives the waters of several other large ponds,
and flows n. through Waterville into Kennebec r. Incorporated in
1792. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. It has 2 stores,
cap. $1,450; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 8 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $35,893. 18 sch. 833 scholars. Pop. 2,190.
Sidney, p-t., Delaware co., N. Y., 93 s. w. Albany, 334 W. The
surface is uneven; soil, well adapted to grazing. Drained by
Oleout and other small crs., flowing into Susquehanna r. It has
11 store, cap. $4,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 grist m., 6
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,800. 11 sch. 462 scholars. Pop.
Sidney, p-o., Hunterdon co., N. J., 35 n. Trenton, 195 W.
Sidney, p-t., capital of Shelby co., O., 79 w. by n. Columbus,
473 W. The v. is situated on the w. branch of Great Miami r. It
contains a brick court house, 44 feet square, a jail, 11 stores,
80 dwellings, and 713 inhabitants.
Sidney, p-v., Marshall co., Ia., 105 n. Indianapolis, 626 W.
Sidney, p-v., Champaign co., Ill., 104 e. by n. Springfield, 633
W. Situated on Salt Fork of Vermilion r.
Sidney Center, p-o., Sidney t., Delaware co., N. Y., 98 s. w.
Albany, 333 W.
Sidney Plain's, p-v., Sidney t., Delaware co., N. Y., 99 s. w.
Albany, 325 W. Situated on the e. side of Susquehanna r., and
contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist church, 2 stores, 20
dwellings, and about 100 inhabitants.
Siegle, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C, 181 w. by s. Raleigh, 418 W.
Siloa, p-o., Sullivan co., Ia., 83 s. w. Indianapolis, 659 W.
Siloam, p-v., Smithfield t., Madison co., N. Y., 110 w. by n.
Albany, 364 W. It contains a church, a store, a grist m., and
about 30 dwellings.
Siloam, p-v., Surry co., N. C, 141 w. n. w., Raleigh, 344 W.
Silvan, t., Washtenaw co., Mich. It has 2 saw m.
Silver Creek, p-o., Hanover t., Chautauque co., N. Y.
Silver Creek, t., Greene co., O. It contains the v. of
Jamestown, and has 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 2
saw m. Cap. in manufac $4,000. 2 sch. 52 scholars. Pop. 2,447.
Silver Creek, p-o., Cass co., Mich., 181 s. w. Detroit, 629 W.
Watered by Dowagiake r. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain
and to grazing. It has 1 saw m., 2 sch. 51 scholars. Pop. 183.
Silver Creek, p-o., Madison co., Ky., 56 s, e. Frankfort, 554 W.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!