Sparta, AL to Springfield, IL
Sparta, p-v., capital of Conecuh co., Ala., 164 s. by e.
Tuscaloosa, 925 W. Situated on Murder cr., a branch of Conecuh
r. It contains a court house, jail, a U.S. land office, several
stores, and about 100 inhabitants.
Sparta, p-v., capital of White co., Tenn., 83 e. by s.
Nashville, 598 W. Situated on a branch of Caney fork of
Cumberland r., and contains a court house, jail, a church, and
about 350 inhabitants.
Sparta, t., Noble co., Ia It has 2 stores, cap. 85,000. Pop.
Sparta, p-o., Randolph co., Ill., 141 s. Springfield, 816 W.
Sparta, p-v., capital of Buchanan co., Mo. Situated on the head
waters of Bee cr. It contains a court house, jail, and a number
of dwellings. It is 8 ms. s. w. of Roubedoux landing, on the
Spartanburg, District, S. C. Situated in the n.
part of the state, and contains 1,050 sq. ms. Drained by Ennoree,
Tyger, Fair Forest, and Pacolet rivers. Capital, Spartanburg.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 20,498, sheep 11,104, swine
31,251; wheat 58,670 bush, produced, Ind. corn 722,751, oats
67,615, potatoes 2,532, cotton 1,595,303 pounds; 39 stores, cap.
$9S,700; 2 furnaces, 3 forges, 4 cotton fac. 2,207 sp., 8
tanneries, 37 distilleries, 2 potteries, 6 flouring m., 52 grist
m., 41 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $160,030. 5 acad. 179 students,
17 sch. 375 scholars. Pop. whites 17,924, slaves 5,687, free
col'd 58; total, 23,669.
Spartanburg, C. H., p-v., capital of Spartan-burg dist., S. C,
98 n. w. Columbia, 471 W. It contains a court house, jail, a
church, and about 350 inhabitants.
Spartansburg, p-v., Randolph co., Ia.
Spartapolis, p-v., Rockingham co., Va., 142 N. w. Richmond, 120
Speedsville, p-v., Caroline t., Tompkins co., N. Y., 177 w. by
s. Albany, 307 W. Situated on West Owego cr., and contains 1
Presbyterian church, 2 stores, 1 saw m., 1 woolen fac, 1
carriage fac, 90 dwellings, and about 500 inhabitants.
Speedwell, p-o., Wythe co., Va., 269 w. by s. Richmond, 330 W.
Speedwell, p-v., Barnwell dist., S. C, 114 s. s. w. Columbia,
610 W. Situated on e. side of Savannah r.
Speedwell, p-v., Claiborne co., Tenn., 212 e. by N. Nashville,
Speerville, p-o., Bedford co., Pa., 83 w. by s. Harrisburg, 109
Speight's Bridge, p-v., Greene co., N. C, 79 e. s. e. Raleigh,
289 W. Situated on Mockasin cr. The v. contains about 60
Spencer, County, Ky. Situated a little n. of
the centre of the state, and contains 260 sq. miles. Drained by
the e. fork of Salt r. and its branches. Capital, Taylorsville.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,913, sheep 8,495, swine
23,497; wheat 70,786 bush, produced, rye 14,083, Indian corn
324,765, oats 71,722, potatoes 3,998, tobacco 42,200 pounds; 14
stores, cap. $46,610; 1 tannery, 21 distilleries. 16 grist m., 9
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $20,090. 2 acad. 118 students, 9 sch.
275 scholars. Pop. whites 4,650, slaves 1,911, free col'd 20;
Spencer, County, Ia. Situated in the s. part of
the state, and contains 400 sq. ms. Ohio river bounds it on the
s. Drained by Anderson's, Little Pigeon, Crooked, Big, and Sandy
creeks. The surface is nearly level; soil, productive. Capital,
Rockport. There were in 1840. neat cattle 5,673, sheep 5,713,
swine 17,942; wheat 18,338 bush, produced, Indian corn 53.542,
oats 17,719, potatoes 12,796, tobacco 96,407 pounds, sugar
2,706; 15 stores, cap. $43,160; 4 tanneries, 1 pottery, 12 grist
m., 5 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $13,365. 19 sch. 300 scholars. Pop. 6,305.
Spencer, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 53 w. Boston, 395 W.
Incorporated from Leicester in 1753. The surface is elevated,
being 950 feet above tidewater at Boston harbor, and is uneven
and rough; soil, fertile. Watered by Seven Mile r., and other
small streams, branches of Chicapee r. It contains 3 churches, 1
Congregational, 1 Baptist, and 1 Universalist. The v. near the
centre contains 2 churches, and about 40 dwellings. There are in
the t. 5 stores, cap. $9,200; 6 grist m., 9 saw m. 11 sch. 528
scholars. Pop. 1,604.
Spencer, p-t., Tioga co., N. Y., 15 w. Owego, 179 w. s. w.
Albany, 280 W. The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam.
Drained by Cattotong creek and its branches. The v. contains 1
Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, 5 stores, 11 grist m., 2
saw m., 1 tannery, 60 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants.
There are in the t. 7 stores, cap. $33,650; 2 tanneries, 3 grist
m., 20 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,034. 429 scholars in schools.
Spencer, p-v., Davidson co., N. C, 191 w. Raleigh, 348 W.
Spencer, p-t., Medina co., O., Ill n. n. e. Columbus, 366 W. It
has 1 grist m., 1 saw m. 4 sch. 142 scholars. Pop. 551.
Spencer, t., Guernsey co., O. Situated on the head waters of
Wills cr. It contains the v of Cumberland. Pop. 1,669.
Spencer, p-v., capital of Van Buren co., Tenn., 90 s. e.
Nashville, 611 W. It has a court house, and a few dwellings.
Spencer, p-v., capital of Owen co., Ia., 58 s. w. Indianapolis,
621 W. Situated on the n. w. bank of n. fork of White r., and
contains a court house, jail, 2 churches, 1 Baptist and 1
Methodist, 4 stores, 1 oil m., 1 ropewalk, 1 copper and tin fac,
and about 375 inhabitants.
Spencerport, p-v., Ogden t., Monroe co., N. Y., 234 w. by n.
Albany, 380 W. It is situated on the Erie canal, and contains 1
church, 7 stores, 2 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 furnace, 1 carriage
fac, 45 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants.
Spencersburg, p-v., Pike co., Mo., 88 n. e. Jefferson City, 892
Spencertown, p-v., Austerlitz t., Columbia co., N. Y., 29 s. s.
e. Albany, 359 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian church, 3 stores, 1
grist m., 1 plaster m., 30 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants!
Spencerville, p-v., De Kalb co., Ia., 150 n. n. e. Indianapolis,
Speonk, p-o., Southampton t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 228 s. s. e.
Albany, 308 W.
Sperryville, p-v., Rappahannock co., Va., 123 n. n. w. Richmond,
Spiceland, p-o., Henry co., Ia., 38 e. n. e. Indianapolis, 543
Spinnerstown, p-v., Bucks co., Pa., 91 e. Harrisburg, 178 W.
Split Rock, p-o., Essex t. and co., N. Y., 133 n. Albany, 504 W.
It derives its name from the noted split rock in Lake Champlain,
which appears as if cloven in sunder by some convulsion of
Spoon, river. Ill., is made up by the union of several forks in
Coffee co., and pursues a s. and s. e. course, until it enters
Illinois r. on the w I side. It affords good water power.
Spoon River, p-o., Fulton co., Ill., 159 n. n. w. Springfield,
Spottedville, p-v., Stafford co., Va., 76 n. Richmond, 67 W.
Spottswood p-v., Amboy t., Middlesex co., N. J., 36 n. e.
Trenton, 202 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Dutch Reformed
church, 2 stores, 2 tobacco fac, and about 30 dwellings.
Spottsylvania, County, Va. Situated in the e.
part of the state, and contains 408 sq. miles. The surface is
uneven. Rappahannock r. runs on its n. border. Drained by head
branches of North Anna and Mattapony rs. It contains the city of
Fredericksburg. Capital, Spottsylvania C. H. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 7,971, sheep 7,670, swine 12,455; wheat 58,450
bushels produced, Ind. corn 302,889, oats 101,774, potatoes
9,787, tobacco 353,147 pounds, cotton 4,454; 82 stores, cap.
$394,961; 1 furnace, 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 4 tanneries, 2
flouring m., 37 grist m., 15 saw m., 2 printing offices, 4
semi-weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $153,100. 15acad. 415
students, 20 sch. 234 scholars. Pop. whites 6,787, slaves 7.590;
Spottsylvania, C. H., p-v., capital of Spottsylvania co., Va.,
71 n. by w. Richmond, 68 W. Situated on Po r., a branch of
Mattapony r., and contains a court house, jail, and about 75
Spout Spring, p-o., Campbell co., Va., 99 w. by s. Richmond, 185
Spraker's Basin, p-v., Root t., Montgomery co., N. Y., 47 w. n.
w. Albany, 398 W. Situated on the Erie canal, and contains 1
church, 2 stores, and about 20 dwellings.
Spread Eagle, p-v., Radnor t., Delaware co., Pa., 83 e. s. e.
Harrisburg, 133 W. It contains 1 store, and 10 or 12 dwellings.
Sprigg, t., Adams co., O. It contains the v. of Manchester. It
has 9 stores, cap $9,790; 4 tanneries, 1 flouring m., 3 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $1,200. 4 sch. 108 scholars. Pop. 1,976.
Spring, p-t., Crawford co., Pa., 257 n. w. Harrisburg, 330 W. It
has 4 stores, cap. $8,000; 1 fulling in., 2 tanneries, 4 grist
m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $17,800. Pop. 1,616.
Spring, t, Centre co., Pa. It has 4 stores, capital $9,000; 1
furnace, 4 forges, 1 brewery, 3 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $21,000. 6 sch. 255 scholars. Pop. 1,793.
Spring Arbor, p-t., Jackson co., Mich., 80 w. Detroit, 552 W.
The v. is situated near one of the head branches of Kalamazoo
r., on the site of an ancient Indian v. It contains a store, and
a few dwellings. There are in the t. 2 saw m. Capital in
manufac. $7,000. 4 sch. 127 scholars. Pop. 775.
Springborough, p-v., Clear Creek t., Warren co., O., 84 s. w.
Columbus, 470 W. Situated on the n. side of Clear creek, 4 ms.
from the Miami canal. It contains 3 churches, 2 Friends and 1
Methodist, 6 stores, 16 mechanic shops, 1 woolen fac, 2 flouring
m., 100 dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants. It derives its
name from a spring, which moves several mills.
Spring Creek, p-t., Warren co., Pa., 232 n. w. Harrisburg, 324
W. The surface is broken and rocky; soil, gravelly and stony,
and scarcely capable of cultivation. Watered by Broken Straw cr.
It has 2 tanneries, 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $19,250. 4 sch.
100 scholars. Pop. 435.
Spring Creek, p-o., Greenbrier co., Va., 226 w. by n. Richmond,
Spring Creek, t., Miami co., O. It has 2 distilleries. Cap. in
manufac. $5,000. 7 sch. 333 scholars. Pop. 1,444.
Spring Creek, p-o., Cherokee co., Ala., 149 N. e. Tuscaloosa,
Spring Creek, p-o., Madison co., Tenn., 121 w. s. w. Nashville,
Spring Dale, p-o., Alleghany co., Pa., 208 w. by n. Harrisburg,
Spring Dale, p-o., Springfield t., Hamilton co., O., 110 s. w.
Columbus, 500 W.
Springersville, p-v., Fayette co., Ia., 64 e. by s.
Indianapolis, 515 W.
Springfield, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 60 n. e. by e. Bangor.
The soil is fertile, adapted to grain, and particularly to
wheat. Incorporated in 1834. Drained by branches of Mattawamkeag
r., which afford water power. It has 2 stores, cap. $950; 1
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,206. 7 sch. 236 scholars.
Springfield, p-t., Sullivan co., N. H., 35 n. w. Concord, 492 W.
Drained by the head waters of Black r., flowing into the
Merrimac, and of Sugar r., flowing into the Connecticut; and it
therefore occupies the height of land between Connecticut and
Merrimac rivers. The surface is rough; soil, fertile. Chartered
in 1769. Received its present name in 1794. It contains several
considerable ponds. It has 1 store, cap. $2,500; 1 grist m., 3
saw m., 7 sch. 430 scholars. Pop. 1,252.
Springfield, p-t., Windsor co., Vt., 77 s. Montpelier, 459 W
Bounded e. by Connecticut r. It has a fertile soil, adapted to
grain and to grazing. Drained by Black r., which has important
falls here, affording great water power. At the falls, 4 ms.
from its mouth in Connecticut r., is a flourishing manufacturing
v. The meadows on Connecticut r. are extensive and very fertile.
It has 8 stores, cap. $25,700; 6 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1
cotton fac 650 sp., 1 furnace, 3 tanneries, 1 paper fac, 3 grist
m., 8 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $106,500. 19 sch. 904
scholars. Pop. 2,625.
Springfield, p-t., capital of Hampden co., Mass., on the e. side
of Connecticut r., 24 n. Hart-ford, 91 w. Boston, 363 W. Pop.
1830, 6,784; 1840, 10,985. Incorporated in 1645. Watered by
Chickapee and Mill rivers. On the r. are rich alluvial meadows,
exceedingly fertile; and back, the land rises and terminates, in
a plain, moderately fertile. The main street extends along the
r. between 2 and 3 miles. The houses are well built, and many of
them are elegant. Springfield v. has a court house, jail, 6
churches, 2 Congregational, 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist,
and 1 Unitarian, a paper fac, and one of the most extensive
United States arsenals of construction in the country. A bridge
here crosses Connecticut r. The armory is pleasantly situated,
on elevated ground, half a mile E. of the village. The buildings
are arranged on a large square, and consist of one brick edifice
240 feet by 32, 2 stories high, occupied by lock filers,
stockers, and finishers; a brick forging shop 150 feet by 32; a
brick building 60 feet by 32, 2 stories high, the second story
forming a spacious hall devoted to religious worship; a brick
building 100 feet by 40, and 2 stories high, used as a
depository of arras, and numerous smaller stores and shops. The
water works are situated on Mill r., about 1 mile s. of the
arsenal, on 3 different sites, called the Upper, Middle, and
Lower Water shops, the whole comprising 5 workshops, 28 forges,
10 trip-hammers, 18 water-wheels, exhibiting a great assemblage
of water-works. The whole establishment employs from 240 to 250
workmen, who complete 45 muskets daily. The water power owned by
the United States would admit of a great extension of these
works. There were in Springfield, in 1810, 68 stores, cap.
§250,000; value of machinery manufactured, $120,000; hardware
and cutlery, $25,000; 30 cannon and 14,000 small-arms; 8 cotton
fac. 43,700 sp., cap. S 1,650,000; 3 tanneries, 2 breweries, 3
grist m., 3 saw m., 4 paper fac, 7 printing offices, 4 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac $2,63 1,500. 3 acad. 140 students,
36 sch. 1,512 scholars. At the mouth of Chickapee r., where it
enters the Connecticut, is Chickapee village, 4 ms. n. of
Springfield, a fine manufacturing village in the t. of
Springfield, which has 3 churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Congregational,
1 Methodist, 4 cotton fac, 1 paper fac, 150 houses, and about
Springfield, p-t., Otsego co., N. Y., 8 n. Cooperstown, 61 w.
Albany, 379 W. The surface is elevated and hilly; soil, fertile
in the valleys. The n. end of Otsego lake extends to the centre
of the t. It has 5 stores, cap. $19,500; 4 fulling m., 1 woolen
fac, 1 furnace, 3 tanneries, 4 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $24,515. 16 sch. 800 scholars. Pop. 2,382.
Springfield, p-t., Essex co., N. J., 8 w. Newark, 52 n. e.
Trenton, 217 W. The surface is hilly; soil, clay loam and red
shale. Rahway r. runs on its E. border, by tributaries of which
it is drained. It is distinguished for its paper manufactories.
There is situated on Rahway r., and contains 1 Presbyterian and
1 Methodist church, 5 stores, 2 grist m., 1 saw m., 10 paper m.,
and 200 dwellings. There are in the t. 7 stores, cap. $22,300; 1
tannery, 11 paper fac, 3 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$158,694. 7 sch. 453 scholars. Pop. 1,651.
Springfield, t., Burlington co., N. J., 5 n. e. Mount Holly. The
surface is level; soil, sand and sandy loam, fertile, and well
cultivated. The inhabitants are mostly Friends, and they have 3
Friends churches. Drained by Assiscunk cr. and its branches; and
by tributaries of the n. branch of Rancocus cr. It has 3 stores,
cap. $13,000; 1 tannery. Cap. in manufac. $6,320. 7 sch. 411
scholars. Pop. 1,632.
Springfield, p-t., Bradford co., Pa., 154 n. by E. Harrisburg,
261 W. The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Drained by
Bentley's cr., and branches of Sugar cr. It has 1 fulling m., 1
grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,860. 12 sch. 413
scholars. Pop. 1,437.
Springfield, t., Bucks co., Pa., 15 n. Doylestown, 40 n.
Philadelphia. The surface is rolling; soil, sandy loam. Drained
by Durham cr., which affords water power, and by branches of
Tohickon cr. It has a v. which contains a church. There are in
the t. 6 stores, cap. $21,300; 1 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 2
tanneries, 7 grist m., 6 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$10,840. Pop. 2,072.
Springfield, t., Delaware co., Pa., 12 w. Philadelphia, 4 n.
Chester. Crum cr. runs on its w. boundary. It contains a church,
2 woolen fac, 3 cotton fac. 3,860 sp., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 1
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $65,950. 2 sch. 80 scholars. Pop. 860.
Springfield, t., Mercer co., Pa. The surface is level; soil,
clay and loam. Drained by Neshannock cr. It has 4 stores, cap.
$3,700; 2 tanneries, 6 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $500.
13 sch. 476 scholars. Pop. 1,804.
Springfield, t., Erie co., Pa. Drained by Crooked, Elk, and
Racoon creeks. The surface is hilly; soil, loam. It has 3
stores, cap. $8,500; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2
grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac $5,050; 1 sch. 18 scholars.
Springfield, t., Huntingdon co., Pa., 21 s. Huntingdon b. The
surface is hilly; soil, in the valleys, calcareous loam. Drained
by Great Aughwick cr., and its branches, flowing into Juniata r.
Iron ore is abundant. It has 1 store, cap. $4,000; 1 tannery, 1
pottery, 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,245. Pop. 984.
Springfield, t., Montgomery co., Pa., 10 n. Philadelphia, 7 n.
e. Norristown. The surface is rolling; soil, calcareous loam.
Drained by a branch of Wissahickon cr. Near the v. of Flourtown
is a church. It has 3 stores, cap. $7,000; 2 grist m., 1 saw m
Springfield, t., York co., Pa. It has 4 stores, cap. $4,700; 2
tanneries, 16 distilleries, 4 grist m., 4 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap.
in manufac. $26,400. Pop. 1,207.
Springfield, p-v., Hampshire co., Va., 197 n. n. w. Richmond,
125 W. Situated on a branch of Potomac r., and contains about 75
Springfield, p-v., capital of Effingham co., Ga., 28 n. w.
Savannah, 133 e. s. e. Milledgeville, 678 W. It contains a court
house, jail, 1 store, and about 80 inhabitants.
Springfield, p-v., Greene co., Ala., 33 s. s. w. Tuscaloosa, 851
Springfield, p-v., capital of Livingston par., La., 65 n. w. New
Orleans, 1,152 W. Situated on the w. bank of Notalbaney r., a
branch of Tickfaw r. It contains a court house, jail, and about
Springfield, p-v., capital of Robertson co., Tenn., 26 n. by w.
Nashville, 708 W. Situated on the s. bank of Sulphur Fork of Red
r., which flows into Cumberland r., "at Clarksville. It contains
a court house, jail, 2 stores, and about 275 inhabitants.
Springfield, p-v., capital of Washington co., Ky., 68 s. s. w.
Frankfort, 590 W. It contains a court house, jail, a bank, and
Springfield, t., Muskingum co., O. It has 7 sch. 263 scholars.
Springfield, p-v., Springfield t., capital of Clarke co., O., 43
w. Columbus, 436 W. Situated on the national road, and on the e.
fork of Mad r., which affords extensive water power. It contains
a handsome court house, a clerk's office, jail, 1 male and 1
female academy, 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, 1
Reformed Methodist, and 1 Associate Reformed, 30 stores, 1 paper
m., 1 grist m., 1 carding and fulling m., 1 brewery, 1
distillery, 1 printing office, which issues a weekly newspaper,
15 sch. 793 scholars, 400 dwellings, and about 2,062
inhabitants. There are in the t., exclusive of the v., 1 acad.
60 students. Pop. 2,349.
Springfield, t., Gallia co., O. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,800; 1
distillery, 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,950. Pop. 991.
Springfield, t., Hamilton co., O. It has 13 sch. 69 scholars.
Springfield, t, Richland co., O. It has 1 sch. 40 scholars. Pop.
Springfield, t., Summit co., O. It has 7 sch. 208 scholars. Pop.
Springfield, t., Williams co., O. It has 2 sch. 45 scholars.
Springfield, p-t., Oakland co., Mich., 37 n. w. Detroit, 561 W.
It has 2 stores, cap. $4,300; 1 saw m. Pop. 573.
Springfield, p-v., Franklin co., Ia., 71 e. s. e. Indianapolis,
507 W. Situated on a small branch of Whitewater r.
Springfield, t., La Grange co., Ia. It has 1 store, cap.
$12,000; 1 distillery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$20,800. 4 sch. 59 scholars. Pop. 429.
Springfield, p-v., capital of Sangamon co., and of the State of
Illinois, 105 N. by e. St. Louis, 780 from W. Situated near the
centre of the state, 4 ms. s. Sangamon r., on the border of a
beautiful and extended prairie. It was laid out in 1822, and in
1823 contained 30 families, living in log cabins. Its principal
growth has been within 10 years past. It contains a state house,
for the erection of which $50,000 has been appropriated, a court
house, and market house, on a fine public square, a jail, a U.
S. land office, 6 churches, 2 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1
Baptist, 1 Baptist Reformed, and 1 Methodist, 3 academies, 34
stores, cap. $266,000; 1 iron foundry, 4 carding machines, 3
printing offices, each issuing a weekly newspaper, and 2,579
inhabitants. It has been the capital of the state since 1840.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!