American History and Genealogy Project

Springfield IA to Stark, NY

Page 631

Springfield, p-v., Jackson co., Iowa.

Springfield, p-v., Madison co., Miss., 41 n. n. e. Jackson, 979 W.

Springfield, p-v., capital of Greene co., Mo., 158 s. w. Jefferson City, 1,073 W. Situated on the head branches of James fork of White r., and contains a court house, jail, a United States land office, 8 stores, and about 500 inhabitants.

Springfield Cross Roads, p-o., Erie co., Pa., 270 n. w. Harrisburg, 341 W.

Springfield Furnace, p-o., Huntingdon co., Pa., 115 w. Harrisburg, 153 W.

Spring Forge, p-o., York co., Pa., 31 s. Harrisburg, 92 W.

Spring Garden, t, York co., Pa. It has 1 store, 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 6 distilleries, 1 pottery, 1 paper fac, 5 grist m., 1 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $57,355. 1 sch. 32 scholars. Pop. 1,819.

Spring Garden, p-v., Philadelphia co., Pa., 100 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 140 W. It is in fact a constituent part of the city of Philadelphia, though under a separate charter, and governed by 13 commissioners, elected for 3 years. It contains the Fairmont water-works, the Eastern penitentiary, the house of refuge, the city hospital, an intensive floor cloth fac, 5 commission houses, cap. $25,000; 106 retail stores, cap. $234,650; 13 lumber yards, cap. $271,000; 4 woolen fac, 4 cotton fac. 7,802 sp., 5 dyeing and print estab., 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 3 breweries, 1 pottery, 1 paper fac, 1 rope fac, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $1,178,000. 8 acad. 702 students, 29 schools, 1,057 scholars. Population 27,849.

Spring Garden, p-v., Pittsylvania co., Va., 154 w. s. w. Richmond, 241 W. It contains 1 Baptist church, 1 store, and several mechanic shops.

Spring Garden, p-o., Jefferson co., Ill., 140 s. s. w. Springfield, 805 W.

Spring Grove, p-o., Lancaster co., Pa., 64 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 99 W.

Spring Grove, p-o., Iredell co., N. C., 139 w. Raleigh, 376 W.

Spring Grove, p-o., Laurens dist., S. C., 66 w. n. w. Columbia.

Spring Grove, p-o., Alachua co., Flor.

Spring Grove, p-o., Warren co., Ill., 128 n. w. Springfield, 858 W.

Spring Hill, p-o., Bradford co., Pa., 163 n. by e. Harrisburg, 273 W.

Spring Hill, t., Fayette co., Pa. It has 6 stores, cap. $20,500; 1 forge, 1 tannery, 3 distilleries, 1 glass house, 5 grist m., 11 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $23,683. 6 sch. 360 scholars. Pop. 2,385.

Spring Hill, p-o., Chesterfield co., Va., 24 s. s. w. Richmond, 141 W.

Spring Hill, p-o., York dist., S. C, 92 n. by w. Columbia, 415 W.

Spring Hill, p-o., Monroe co., Ga., 65 w. Milledgeville, 720 W.

Spring Hill, p-v., Marengo co., Ala., 71 s. by w. Tuscaloosa, 883 W. Situated a few me. e. of the Tombigbee r., and contains about 125 inhabitants.

Spring Hill, p-o., Tippah co., Miss., 214 n. n. e. Jackson, 879 W.

Spring Hill, p-o., Hempsted co., Ark., 136 s. w. Little Rock, 1,201 W.

Spring Hill, p-o., Maury co., Tenn., 30 s. s. w. Nashville, 707 W.

Spring Hill, p-o., Rapides par., La.

Spring Hill, p-o., Decatur co., Ia., 54 s. e. Indianapolis, 542 W.

Spring Hill, t., Hempsted co., Ark. It has 2 academies, 70 students. Pop. 892.

Spring Hill, p-o., Scott co., Mo., 213 s. e. Jefferson City, 861 W.

Spring House, p-o., Montgomery co., Pa., 99 e. Harrisburg, 154 W.

Spring Mill, p-o., Independence t, Alleghany co., N. Y., 269 w. by s. Albany, 297 W.

Spring Mills, p-o., Centre co., Pa., 80 n. w. Harrisburg, 174 W.

Spring Mills, p-o. Lawrence co., Ia., 81 s. s. w. Indianapolis, 626 W.

Spring Place, p-v., capital of Murray co., Ga., 184 n. w. Milledgeville, 605 W. Situated 3 ms. e. of Connessauga r. Formerly a missionary station among the Cherokees. It contains a court house and jail, and about 150 inhabitants.

Spring Place, p-v., Marshall co., Tenn., 66 s. Nashville, 712 W.

Springport, t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 9 s. w. Auburn, 165 w. Albany. The surface is rolling; soil, calcareous loam, well cultivated and productive. Drained by small streams flowing into Cayuga lake, which bounds it on the w. It has 7 stores, cap. $35,400; 1 lumber yard, cap. $2,500; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $105,750. 10 sch. 566 scholars. Pop. 1,890.

Springport, p-t., Jackson co., Mich., 100 w. Detroit, 570 W. It has 2 sch. 47 scholars. Pop. 294.

Spring River, t., Lawrence co., Ark. Pop. 545.

Spring Ridge, p-o., Hinds co., Miss.

Spring Rock, p-o., York dist., S. C, 71 n. Columbia, 438 W.

Spring Rock, p-o., Clinton co., Iowa.

Springtown, p-v., Springfield t., Bucks co., Pa., 106 e. Harrisburg, 185 W. It contains a store, and 8 or 10 dwellings.

Springvale, p-v., York co., Me., 86 s. w. Augusta, 515 W.

Springville, p-v., Concord t., Erie co., N. Y., 287 w. Albany, 353 W. Situated on Spring cr., and contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, an academy, 5 stores, 2 flouring m., 3 saw m., 2 tanneries, 2 woolen fac, 1 furnace, 1 cabinet fac, 175 dwellings, and about 1,000 inhabitants.

Springville, p-t., Susquehanna co., Pa., 173 n. n. e. Harrisburg, 274 W. It has 3 stores, cap. $9,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac $5,000. 1 acad. 22 students, 6 sch. 162 scholars. Pop. 926.

Springville, p-v., Big Spring t., Seneca co., O., 89 n. Columbus, 439 W.

Springville, p-v., Lenawee co., Mich., 68 s. w. Detroit, 523 W. It contains a store, and a few dwellings.

Springville, p-v., Greenup co., Ky., 134 e. by n. Frankfort, 441 W. Situated on the s. bank of Ohio r., directly opposite to Portsmouth.

Springville, p-v., St. Clair co., Ala., 83 e. n. e. Tuscaloosa, 734 W.

Page 632

Springville, p-v., Lawrence co., Ia., 81 s. s. w. Indianapolis, 631 W.

Springwater, p-t., Livingston co., N. Y., 16 e. Geneseo, 226 w. Albany, 341 W. The surface is hilly and rough; soil, clay loam, well adapted to grass. Drained by the inlet of Hemlock lake. It has 3 stores, cap. $18,300; 1 lumber yard, cap. $1,000; 2 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 3 grist m., 21 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $51,736. 17 sch. 888 scholars. Pop. 2,832.

Spring Wells, t., Washtenaw co., Mich. It has 2 sch. 95 scholars. Pop. 916.

Sprout Creek, p-o., La Grange t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 80 s. Albany, 307 W.

Spruce, p-o., Albion t., Oswego co., N. Y., 148 w. N. w. Albany, 382 W.

Spruce Head, t., Hancock co., Me. Pop. 12.

Squam, lake and r., N. H. This lake lies between Sandwich, Holderness, Moultonborough, and Centre Harbor townships, and is 6 ms. long and 3 wide, at its greatest width. It has a number of islands, and is a beautiful sheet of water, surrounded by picturesque scenery. The outlet is called Squam r. and flows into Pemigewasset r.

Squam, bay, Essex co., Mass., is situated on the n. of Cape Ann, and connected with Gloucester harbor, on the s. side of the cape, by a short canal, which crosses the isthmus that joins the cape with the main land.

Squam, v., Gloucester t., Essex co., Mass. Situated on the n. side of Cape Ann, and is inhabited chiefly by fishermen. It contains 1 Congregational, 1 Baptist, and 1 Universalist church. It has a good harbor, and considerable shipping.

Squankum, p-v., Howell t., Monmouth co., N. J., 10 s. e. Freehold, 43 s. e. Trenton, 209 W. It contains 1 Friends church, 1 store, 1 grist m. and fulling m., and about 15 dwellings. It is surrounded by a pine forest, and a sandy soil.

Square, p-o., Cayuga co., N. Y., 161 w. by n. Albany, 326 W.

Square Pond, p-o., Tolland co., Ct., 26 n. e. Hartford, 362 W. The pond is situated on the s. line of Stafford, with an outlet flowing n., into Willimantic r.

Staatsburg, p-o., Hyde Park t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 61 s. Albany, 309 W.

Stafford, t., Tolland co., Ct., 6 n. e. Tolland, 24 n. E. Hartford, 73 w. s. w. Boston. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, gravelly loam, adapted to grazing. Watered by Furnace and Willimantic rivers, which unite in this t., and afford good water power. Bog iron ore of an excellent quality is found, and extensively manufactured, particularly into hollow ware. The v. is on an elevated plain, with a large open square in the centre, and contains a Congregational and a Universalist church. There is also a Methodist church in the t. (see Stafford Springs.) There are in the t. 8 stores, cap. $21,000; 1 fulling m., 5 woolen fac, 4 furnaces, 2 forges, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $82,200. 19 sch. 652 scholars. Pop. 2,469.

Stafford, p-t., Genesee co., N. Y., 243 w. by N. Albany, 377 W. The surface is generally level; soil, clay and gravelly loam. Drained by Allen's and Black creeks. The v. contains 3 churches, 2 stores, 30 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants. There are in the t. 4 stores, cap. $25,500; 3 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 5 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $87,435. 1 acad. 29 students, 18 sch. 773 scholars. Pop. 2,561.

Stafford, t., Monmouth co., N. J., 38 s. Free-hold. The surface is level; soil, sand, gravel, and marsh. Long Beach extends about 11 ms. along the ocean, and is 1 m. wide on an average, separating Little Egg Harbor bay from the sea The bay is from 2 to 3 ms. wide, and back of it is a salt marsh, of equal width. Drained by Manahocking, Gunning, Cedar, and Westecunk creeks. It has 9 stores, cap. $3,212; 1 grist m. 4 saw m., 7 sch. 215 scholars. Pop. 2,149.

Stafford, County, Va. Situated in the e. part of the state, and contains 335 sq. ms. Rappahannock r. runs on its s. w. border. Drained by Potomac and Aquila creeks, small branches of Potomac r. Capital, Falmouth. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,357, sheep 5,195, swine 9,068; wheat 30,516 bush, produced, rye 4,281, Ind. corn 212,183, buckwheat 256, oats 68,166, potatoes 11,548, tobacco, 34,031 pounds, cotton 760,287; 7 stores, cap. $18,000; 1 tannery, 16 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,700. 11 sch. 195 scholars. Pop. whites 4,489, slaves 3,596, free col'd 369; total, 8,454.

Stafford, p-o., Monroe co., O., 118 e. Columbus, 287 W.

Stafford, C. H., p-v., capital of Stafford co., Va., 73 n. Richmond, 46 W. Situated on the s. bank of Rappahannock r., opposite to Fredericksburg. It contains a court house, jail, 2 stores, and 83 dwellings.

Stafford Springs, p-v., Stafford t., Tolland co., Ct., 28 n. e. Hartford, 364 W. The springs have acquired much celebrity for the cure of cutaneous complaints. There are 2 springs, of different qualities. One contains a solution of iron, sustained by carbonic acid gas, a portion of marine salt, and what is called natron or a native alkali. This is one of the most efficacious chalybeate springs in the United States. The other spring contains a large portion of hydrogen gas, of sulphur, and a small portion of iron. The first spring is on the margin of a branch of Willimantic r., and the other a few rods w. of it. Here is a spacious and elegant hotel for the accommodation of visiters, who are numerous in the summer season, and the country around is peculiarly romantic.

Staggville, p-v., Orange co., N. C, 31 n. w. Raleigh, 273 W.

Stahler's, p-o., Lehigh co., Pa., 86 e. n. e. Harrisburg, 179 W.

Stallings Store, p-o., Monroe co., Ga., 43 w. Milledgeville, 698 W.

Stamford, p-t., Bennington co., Vt., 9 s. E. Bennington, 143 s. s. w. Montpelier, 404 W. The surface is very uneven, lying on the w. border of the Green mountain range, and much of it is incapable of cultivation. There are 2 ponds in the n. part, one of which discharges its waters w. through Walloomsac, into Hoosic r., and the other s. into Deerfield r. Drained by branches of Hoosic r. It has 1 store, cap. $2,500; 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,600. 4 sch. 99 scholars. Pop. 662.

Stamford, p-t., Fairfield co., Ct., 77 s. w. Hartford, 263 W. Long Island sound bounds, it on the s., on which is a good harbor, at the mouth of Mill r., for vessels requiring 8 feet of water. The surface is undulating; soil, a fertile gravelly loam. Drained by Mill and Miannus rivers. The borough, near the mouth of Mill r., contains 4 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, 12 stores, a bank, 1 iron foundry, 1 rolling m., 1 wire fac, and about 750 inhabitants. A canal has been cut to the sound, 180 rods long, 30 feet wide, and 7 deep, at an expense of $7,000. It has 17 stores, cap. $32,750, 2 lumber yards, cap. $5,500; 1 furnace, 1 forge, 1 tannery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $23,200. 14 sch. 431 scholars Pop. 3,516.

Page 633

Stamford, p-t., Delaware co., N. Y., 61 w. s. w. Albany, 357 W. The surface is uneven and broken; soil, well adapted to grazing. Drained by head branches of Delaware r. The v. contains 1 Presbyterian church, 2 stores, and 15 or 20 dwellings. There are in the t. 11 stores, cap. $44,728; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,100. 14 sch. 477 scholars. Pop. 1,686.

Stampers Creek, t., Orange co., Ia. It has 6 sch. 215 scholars. Pop. 699.

Stamping Ground, p-o., Scott co., Ky., 21 n. e. Frankfort, 531 W.

Stanardsville, p-v., capital of Greene co., Va., 95 n. w. Richmond, 114 W. Situated near the Blue Ridge, and contains a court house, 5 stores, 1 tannery, 25 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants.

Standing Peach Tree, p-o., De Kalb co., Ga., 101 n. w. Milledgeville, 687 W.

Standing Rock, p-o., Stewart co., Tenn., 84 w. n. w. Nashville, 762 W.

Standing Stone, p-o., Bradford co., Pa., 140 n. by e. Harrisburg, 250 W.

Standish, p-t., Cumberland co., Me., 62 s. s. w. Augusta, 533 W. Sebago lake lies on its n. border. The soil is fertile. Incorporated in 1785. It has 8 stores, cap. $5,500; 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,600. 17 sch. 483 scholars. Pop. 2,198.

Stanford, t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 16 n. e. Poughkeepsie, 72 s. by e. Albany. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, gravelly and sandy loam, well adapted to grazing. Drained by Wappinger's cr. It has 6 stores, cap. $16,000; 2 paper fac, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $27,800. 8 sch. 269 scholars. Pop. 2,278.

Stanford, p-v., capital of Lincoln co., Ky., 52 s. s. e. Frankfort, 563 W. Situated on a small branch of Dick's r., and contains a court house, jail, a seminary, and 263 inhabitants.

Stanford, p-v., Monroe co., Ia., 59 s. s. w. Indianapolis, 626 W.

Stanfordville, p-v., Stanford t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 67 s. Albany, 318 W. Situated on the e. side of Wappinger's cr., and contains 3 churches, 1 Christian and 2 Friends, 2 stores, 1 woolen fac, 1 grist m., and 25 or 30 dwellings, inhabited mostly by Friends.

Stanfordville, p-v., Putnam co., Ga., 21 n. w. Milledgeville, 642 W. It contains 75 inhabitants.

Stanhope, p-v., on the s. boundary of Byram t, Sussex co., N. J., 60 n. Trenton, 230 W. Situated on Musconetcong r., and on the Morris canal, and contains 2 stores, 3 forges, and about 30 dwellings. The r. here affords good water power, by a fall of 30 feet, produced by leading it from its bed; and the canal, by an inclined plain, overcomes an elevation of 76 feet.

Stanhope, p-v., Monroe co., Pa., 128 n. e. Harrisburg, 222 W.

Stanhope, p-v., Nash co., N. C, 32 e. by n. Raleigh, 266 W.

Stanly, County, N. C. Situated in the s. part of the state, and contains 280 sq. ms. It has the Yadkin r. on the e. Drained by branches of Rocky r.

Stantonsburg, p-v., Edgecombe co., N. C, 71 e. Raleigh, 231 W.

Stantonville, p-v., Anderson dist., S. C, 118 w. n. w. Columbia, 522 W.

Stanwich, p-o., Fairfield co., Ct., 89 s. w. Hartford, 265 W.

Staples, p-o., Campbell co., Va.

Stapleton, v., Southfield t., Richmond co., N. Y. Situated on the e. side of Staten Island, 2 ms. n. of the "Narrows." It contains 1 Methodist church and 1 Dutch Reformed chapel, attached to the Seamen's Retreat, 1 store, 1 printing office, 50 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants. Here is the Seamen's Retreat, an hospital for the reception of sick or disabled seamen, supported by a tax, levied by law, of $1.50 upon each master of a vessel, and $1 for each mariner on every foreign voyage, and 25 cents of each mariner for each voyage coastwise, which entitles each individual to the benefits of the hospital, while .sick or disabled. Founded in 1830, opened Oct. 1st, 1831. For a period of 10 years, 9,559 patients have been admitted, of whom 9,128 have been cured, relieved, or have died, and 131 remained in the hospital Dec 31st, 1840. The amount collected annually is about $27,000, in addition to which the Retreat has had a loan of $45,000 from the Marine Hospital, arising from alien passengers. The building is 208 feet long, 52 wide, and 3 stories high, with wings 32 feet deep and 2 stories high, and cost $100,000. Attached to the building are 37 acres of land, which cost $10,000.

Stark, County, O. Situated toward the n. e. part of the state, and contains 650 sq. ms. The surface is level; soil, fertile. Drained by Tuscarawas r. and its branches. Iron ore, mineral coal, and limestone, are abundant. The Ohio canal passes through its w. part. Capital, Canton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 25,620, sheep 51,119, swine 32,240; wheat 753,977 bush, produced, rye 52,751, Ind. corn 273,225, buck-wheat 13,196, barley 5,043, oats 504,051, potatoes 156,672, sugar 96,688 pounds; 22 commission houses, cap. $59,500; 105 stores, cap. $242,715; 3 furnaces, 1 forge, 11 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 26 tanneries, 26 distilleries, 11 breweries, 11 potteries, 5 flouring m., 34 grist m., 99 saw m., 2 oil m., 5 printing offices, 4 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac $314,099. 33 sch. 809 scholars. Pop. 34,603.

Stark, County, Ia. Situated toward the n. w. part of the state, and contains 432 sq. ms. Drained by Kankakee and Yellow rivers. There are extensive marshes on the Kankakee. It us unorganized. There were in 1840, neat cattle 107, sheep 66, swine 357; wheat 504 bush, produced, Ind. corn 1,700, oats 174, potatoes 923. Pop. 149.

Stark, County, Ill. Situated n. w. of the centre of the state, and contains 288 sq. ms. The surface is undulating; soil, very fertile. Drained by Spoon r. Capital, Toulon. There were in 1840, neat cattle 1,461, sheep 1,322, swine 5,269; wheat 18,876 bush, produced, Ind. corn 61,655, oats 16,850, potatoes 8,112, tobacco 590 pounds, sugar 3,130; 3 stores, cap. $5,000; 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $500. 8 sch. 214 scholars. Pop. 1,573.

Starks, p-t., Somerset co., Me., 40 n. n. w. Augusta, 633 W. Situated on the w. side of Kennebec r., opposite to Norridgewock. Watered by Sandy r., which here enters the Kennebec, and affords water power. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. Incorporated in 1795. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $600. 17 sch. 693 scholars. Pop. 1,559.

Stark, p-t., Coos co., N. H., 10 n. e. Lancaster, 117 n. Concord, 578 W. The surface is very uneven and broken. First settled in 1788, and named Piercy. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 5 sch. 75 scholars. Pop. 349.

Stark, t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 12 s. e. Herkimer, 69 Albany. The surface is hilly; soil, sandy and calcareous loam. Drained by Otsquaga cr. It has 6 stores, cap. $44,150; 2 fulling m., 1 cotton fac. 2,424 sp., 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $61,828. 8 sch. 385 scholars. Pop. 1,766.

Table of Contents

Source: A Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith, 1843

This book is a joint project between members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and Susan Dorris our finder!

Please Come Back Again!!

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work