Starkey, NY to Stockbridge, NY
Starkey, p-t., Yates co., N. Y.. 10 n. e. Penn Yan, 18S w.
Albany, 315 W. The surface is hilly; soil, clay loam. Drained by
small streams flowing into Seneca lake, which bounds it on the
e. It has 12 stores, cap. $34,500; 4 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1
furnace, 2 tanneries, 2 flouring m., 4 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $80,000. 14 sch. 1,832 scholars. Pop. 2,426.
Starksborough, p-t., Addison co., Vt., 42 w. by s. Montpelier,
498 W. The surface is mountainous and rough; soil, loam, and in
some parts fertile, but much of it is unfit for cultivation.
Drained by Huntington r. and Lewis cr., which afford water
power. Chartered in 1780. First settled in 1788. The religious
denominations are Congregationalists, Methodists, Friends, and
Free-will Baptists. It has 1 store, cap. $3,700; 1 fulling m., 1
forge, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,800.
14 sch. 488 scholars. Pop. 1,263.
Starkville, p-v., Stark t, Herkimer co., N. Y., 62 n. w. Albany,
385 W. It contains 2 churches, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m.,
and about 30 dwellings.
Starksville, v., Hoosick t., Rensselaer co., N. Y. Situated on
Walloomsack cr., and contains 1 store, 1 cotton fac, 1 grist m.,
and about 25 dwellings.
Starkville, p-v., capital of Lee co., Ga., 133 s. w.
Milledgeville, 778 W. Situated on a branch of Flint r., and
contains a court house, jail, and a number of dwellings.
Starkville, p-v., Oktibbeha co., Miss., 143 n. e. Jackson, 912
Starlington, p-o., Butler co., Ala., 161 s. s. e. Tuscaloosa,
Starr, p-t., Hocking co., O., 59 s. e. Columbus, 377 W. Watered
by head branches of Racoon cr. It has 1 school, 35 scholars.
Starsville, p-v., Newton co., Ga., 55 n. n. w. Milledgeville,
Starucca, p-v., Wayne co., Pa., 191 n. e. Harrisburg, 285 W.
State Bridge, p-o., Lenox t., Madison co., N. Y., 119 w. by n.
Albany, 376 W.
State Line, p-o., Franklin co., Pa., 61 w. s. w. Harrisburg, 74
State Line, p-o., Trumbull co., O., 197 n. e. Columbus, 306 W. ,
State Line, p-o., Allen co., Ky., 157 s. w. Frankfort, 680 W.
State Line, p-o., Floyd co., Ga., 184 n. w. Milledgeville, 693
Staten Island, N. Y., lies at its centre, 11 s. w. of the city
of New York, and forms the county of Richmond. It is 14 ms. long
and from 4 to 8 wide, and is divided into 4 townships. The
surface toward the n. is hilly, but more level to the s.
Richmond hill is elevated 307 feet above the ocean, and the view
from its summit is extensive and beautiful, including the city
of N. York with its harbor, islands and fortifications, and a
pleasant surrounding country on Long Island and New Jersey,
together with the lower bay, and a wide expanse of the Atlantic,
continually enlivened by numerous vessels and steamboats. The
island contains several pleas-ant villages, and is crowned with
numerous country seats. Several steam ferry boats are
continually plying between the island and the city of New York;
and the steamboats which ply to Newark, stop at several landing
places on its n. side. The fisheries, both for scale and shell
fish, on its borders, are productive.
State Rights, p-o., Oglethorpe co., Ga., 70 n. Milledgeville,
Statesborough, p-v., capital of Bullock co Ga., 133 s. e. by e.
Milledgeville, 671 W. Situated 8 ms. s. of Great Ogeechee r.,
and contains a court house, jail, and a few dwellings.
Statesburgh, p-v., Sumter dist., S. C., 53 e. by s. Columbia,
Statesville, p-v., capital of Iredell co., N. C., 145 w.
Raleigh, 382 W. It contains a court house, jail, several stores,
and 220 inhabitants.
Statesville, p-v., Wilson co., Tenn., 39 e. Nashville 642 W.
Station Camp, p-o., Estill co., Ky., 79 s. E. Frankfort, 545 W.
Stauton, p-v., New Castle co., Del., 51 n. Dover, 106 W.
Stauton, p-v., capital of Augusta co., Va., 116 w. n. w.
Richmond, 156 W. Situated on Lewis cr., one of the head branches
of Shenandoah r., and is one of the oldest towns in the state.
The land rises from the creek, and the streets, though narrow,
are regularly laid out. It contains an elegant court house, a
jail, 3 churches, an academy, several stores, 250 dwellings, and
about 2,500 inhabitants. The Western Lunatic Asylum is located
here, and has a beautiful and commodious building.
Staunton, p-v., Granville co., N. C.
Staunton, t., Miami co., O. It has 1 distillery, 4 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $2,750. 4 sch. 184 scholars. Pop. 1,220.
Staunton, p-v., Macoupin co., Ill., 69 s. s. w. Springfield, 789
W. Situated on the head branches of Silver cr., and contains 1
store, and about 40 inhabitants. It is surrounded by a very
fertile and healthy region.
Steam Mills, p-o., Washington co., Ark., 196 n. w. Little Rock,
Stearnsville, p-v., Berkshire co., Mass., 134 w. Boston, 379 W.
Steel Creek, p-o., Mecklenburg co., N. C, 170 w. s. w. Raleigh,
Steele's, p-o., Anderson dist., S. C., 135 w. n. w. Columbia,
Steele's, p-o., Rush co., Ia.,48 e. s. e. Indianapolis, 520 W.
Steele's Mills, p-o., Randolph co., Ill., 159 s. Springfield,
Steele's Tavern, p-o., Augusta co., Va., 129 w. n. w. Richmond,
Steelville, p-v., Chester co., Pa.
Steelville, p-v., capital of Crawford co., Mo., 75 s. s. e.
Jefferson City, 923 W. Situated on the s. side of Maramec r.,
and contains a court house, jail, and several dwellings. The
country around abounds with iron ore.
Stell's Mills, p-o., Conway co., Ark., 60 n. w. Little Rock,
Stephensport, p-v., Breckenridge co., Ky., 125 w. s. w.
Frankfort, 667 W.
Stephenson, County, Ill. Situated in the w.
part of the state, and contains 500 sq. ms. Watered by
Pekatonica r. and branches. Capital, Freeport. There were in
1840, neat cattle 3,108, sheep 741, swine 9,623; wheat 46,203
bush, produced, Ind. corn 96,974, buckwheat 1,101, barley 3,714,
oats 52,218, potatoes 45,137, tobacco 2,021 pounds, sugar 6,543;
7 stores, cap. $10,500; 1 tannery, 5 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $2,415. 10 sch. 177 scholars. Pop. 2,800.
Stephentown, p-t., Rensselaer co., N. Y, 28 e. s. e. Albany, 376
W. The surface is hilly and mountainous, with a valley extending
through the centre from n. to s., through which flow Kinderhook
r., by which it is watered. The soil is fertile, well adapted to
grazing. It has 6 stores, cap. $13,500; 1 fulling m., 3 woolen
fac, 1 cotton fac. 1,648 sp., 4 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $20,500. 13 sch. 915 scholars. Pop. 2,753.
Stepney, p-v., Monroe t., Fairfield co., Ct., 11 n. Bridgeport,
58 s. w. Hartford, 236 W. Situated in the w. part of the t., and
the Housatonic railroad passes through it.
Sterling, t., Lamoille co., Vt., 24 n. e. Burlington, 24 n. w.
Montpelier. The surface is elevated and mountainous, and
contains one of the highest peaks of the Green mountains.
Watered by small branches of Lamoille and Onion rivers.
Chartered in 1732, first settled in 1799. It has 2 saw m., 3
sch. 42 scholars. Pop. 193.
Sterling, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 41 w. Bos-ton, 411 W. The
surface is uneven; soil, moderately fertile, with but little
waste land. Watered by Still r. It contains a pleasant v. with 2
churches, and about 20 dwellings. First settled in 1720. It has
3 stores, cap. $7,500; 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $8,900. 11 sch. 485 scholars. Pop. 1,647.
Sterling, p-t., Windham co., Ct., 49 e by s. Hartford, 376 W.
Taken from the n. part of Voluntown in 1794. The surface is
uneven; soil, a light gravelly and sandy loam. Watered by
branches of Moosup r., which afford water power. It contains a
Baptist church. Here is a curious cavern, called the Devil's
Den, which has a room 100 feet in diameter. It has 3 stores,
cap. $7,800; 4 cotton fac. 5,400 sp., 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 5
saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $103,775. 7 sch. 259 scholars.
Sterling, p-t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 179 w. Albany, 362 W. The
surface is level or undulating; soil, sandy loam. Drained by
Sodus cr., flowing into Lake Ontario, which bounds it on the n.
Little Sodus Bay of Lake Ontario lies in its n. w. part. The v.
is situated on Sodus cr., and contains 2 stores, 1 flouring m.,
2 saw m., 1 iron foundry, 1 tannery, 30 dwellings, and about 200
inhabitants. There are in the t. 2 stores, cap. $7,500; 1
fulling m., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,410. 13 sch. 773 scholars. Pop. 2,533.
Sterling, p-t., Wayne co., Pa., 146 n. e. Harrisburg, 240 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, gravel and loam. Drained by
Waullenpaupack cr. and its branches, and by Lehigh r., which
rises in this t. It has 6 sch. 130 scholars. Pop. 808.
Sterling, t., Brown co., O. Situated in the n. part of the co.
It has 1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop. 608.
Sterling, p-o., Washtenaw co., Mich., 56 w. Detroit, 542 W.
Sterling, t., Macomb co., Mich. It has 2 distilleries, 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $6,000. 2 sch. 43 scholars. Pop. 677.
Sterling Grove, p-o., Greenville dist., S. C, 104 n. w.
Columbia, 514 W.
Sterlingville, p-v., Philadelphia t., Jefferson co., N. Y.
Situated on a tributary of Indian r. It contains 1 Roman
Catholic church, 1 store, an extensive furnace, 20 dwellings,
and about 125 inhabitants. Excellent iron ore abounds in the
Sterlingville, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa., 164 N. e. Harrisburg, 269
Sterritts Gap, p-o., Middletown t., Cumberland co., Pa., 22 w.
s. w. Harrisburg, 110 W. Here is a remarkable gap in Blue
mountain, presenting highly picturesque scenery.
Stetson, p-t., Penobscot co., Me., 18 w. n. w. Bangor, 71 n. e.
Augusta, 666 W. The surface is undulating; soil, fertile,
adapted to grain. Watered by branches of Sebasticook and
Sowadabscook rivers, and of Kenduskeag stream., Incorporated in
1831. It has 3 stores, cap.. $1,100; 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap.
in manufac..$2,550. 5 sch. 218 scholars. Pop. 616.
Steuben, County, N. Y. Situated in the s.
toward the w. part of the state, and contains 1,400 sq. ms. The
surface is diversified with hills and fertile valleys; soil,
adapted to grazing. Live stock and lumber are extensively
exported. The Corning and Blossburg railroad meets the New York
and Erie railroad in this co. Drained by Conhocton and Tioga
rivers, and their branches. Crooked and Seneca Jakes lie on its
n. e. part. Iron ore and some mineral springs are found.
Capital, Bath. There were in 1840, neat cattle 43,476, sheep
148,133, swine 34,309; wheat 390,275 bush, produced, rye 13,929,
Ind. corn 102,974, buckwheat 80,311, barley 23,543, oats
387,980, potatoes 580,959, sugar 341,948 pounds; 101 stores,
cap. $313,100; 19 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 31 tanneries, 2
distilleries, 4 flouring m., 38 grist m., 267 saw m., 3 oil m.,
1 paper fac, 3 printing offices, 3 weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $397,790. 4 acad. 384 students, 339 sch. 15,318
scholars. Pop. 46,138.
Steuben, County, la. Situated in the n. e.
corner of the state, and contains 225 sq. ms. Drained by Pigeon
r., and Crooked and Fish creeks. Organized in 1837. Capital,
Angola. There were in 1840, neat cattle 2,031, sheep 873, swine
2,762; wheat 22,149 bush, produced, Ind. com 31,906, oats
26,940, potatoes 15,866, tobacco 1,177 pounds, sugar 16,043; 6
stores, cap. $1,700; 4 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 pottery, 3
grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $31,034. 17 sch. 429
scholars. Pop. 2,578.
Steuben, p-t., Washington co., Me., 119 e. Augusta, 701 W.
Bounded by Narraguagus bay on the s. e., and Goldsborough Harbor
bay on the s. w. Dyer's bay and Pigeon Hill bay set up from the
Atlantic, which bounds it on the s. Narraguagus r. runs on its
e. border. It has several good harbors, considerable navigation
engaged in the coasting trade and fisheries, and some ship
building. Incorporated in 1795. It has 4 stores, cap. $1,425; 1
fulling m., 9 sch. 217 scholars. Pop. 884.
Steuben, p-t., Oneida co., N. Y., 101 w. n. w. Albany, 407 W.
The surface is hilly; soil, moist clay loam, adapted to grass.
Drained by Cincinnati cr., and by tributaries of Mohawk r.
Butter and cheese are extensively exported. It has 1 store, cap.
$3,000; 2 tanneries, 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,900. 20 sch.
639 scholars. Pop. 1,993.
Steuben, p-v., Greenfield t., Huron co., O., 87 n. by e.
Columbus, 399 W. It contains 3 stores and about 125 inhabitants.
Steuben, t., Steuben co., Ia. It has 1 sch. 26 scholars. Pop.
Steubenville, p-v., capital of Jefferson co., O., 141 e. n. e.
Columbus, 264 W. Situated on the w. bank of Ohio r. Laid out in
1798, with streets crossing each other at right angles.
Incorporated in 1805, and contains 6 churches, an elegant town
house, with a market in the lower story, a bank, an academy, 30
stores, 1 steam paper m., 2 woolen fac, 3 carpet fac, 2 cotton
fac, 3 iron foundries, 3 steam engine fac. 1 brass foundry, 3
machine shops, 3 steam flouring m., 1 silver plating fac, 1
steam saw m., 2 breweries, 3 copperas fac, 1 comb fac, 1
chemical fac, 1 rope walk, 1 boat yard, 2 printing offices, each
issuing a weekly newspaper, and about 700 dwellings. There are
in the t. 29 stores, cap. $55,600; 1 furnace, 1 woolen fac, 2
tanneries, 2 breweries, 1 paper fac, 2 printing offices, 2
weekly newspapers, 4 flouring m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$221,050. 1 college, 203 students, 1 acad. 30 students, 5 sch.
591 scholars. Pop. 5,203.
Steubenville, p-v., Steuben co., Ia., 170 n. n. e. Indianapolis,
Stevensburg, p-v., Culpepper co., Va., 91 n. n. w. Richmond, 82
Stevensburg, p-v., Hardin co., Ky., 91 s. w. Frankfort, 633 W.
Stevens' Plains, p-o., Cumberland co., Me., 53 s. w. Augusta,
Stevensville, p-v., Bradford co., Pa., 159 n. by e. Harrisburg,
Stevensville, p-v., King and Queen co., Va., 48 n. e. Richmond,
Stewart, County, Tenn. Situated in the n.
toward the w. part of the state, and contains 575 sq. ms.
Tennessee r. runs on its w. border, and Cumberland r. passes
through it, by numerous I small branches of both of which it is
drained. The 2 large rivers give it a ready access to market.
Capital, Dover. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,285, sheep
6,999, swine 32,731; wheat 27,274 bush, produced, Indian corn
443,470, oats 60,631, potatoes 7,352, tobacco 993,495 pounds; 3
furnaces, 3 forges, 4 tanneries. Cap. in manufac. $9,500. 8 sch.
215 scholars. Pop. whites 6,317, slaves 2,117, free col'd 153;
Stewart, County, Ga. Situated in the w. toward
the s. part of the state, and contains 682 sq. ms. Chattahoochee
r. bounds it on the w., by branches of which, and by Kitchafoona
r. and its branches, which flow into Flint r., it is drained.
Capital, Lumpkin. There were in 1840, neat cattle 20,766, sheep
2,596, swine 34,422; wheat 13,114 bush, produced, Ind. corn
398,640, oats 21,265, potatoes 46,340, cotton 4,981,937 pounds;
1 tannery. Cap. in manufac. §500. 2 acad. 162 students, 10 sch.
315 scholars. Pop. whites 8,174, slaves 4,741, free col'd 18;
Stewart's, p-o., Choctaw co., Miss., 92 n. n. e. Jackson, 963 W.
Stewartsboro', p-v., Rutherford co., Tenn., 20 s. e. Nashville,
679 W. Situated on Stone r., a branch of Cumberland r., and
contains about 100 inhabitants.
Stewart's Creek, p-o., Lewis co., Va., 321 w. n. w. Richmond,
Stewart's Draft, p-o., Augusta co., Va., 115 w. n. w. Richmond,
Stewart's Ferry, p-o., Davidson co., Tenn., 10 Nashville, 674 W.
Stewartstown, p-t., Coos co., N. H., 148 n. Concord, 609 W.
Bounded n. w. and w. by Connecticut r. The surface is uneven;
soil, fertile, particularly on the borders of Connecticut r.
Great and Little Diamond ponds, in the e. part, flow e. into a
branch of Androscoggin r. Drained by Bishop's brook and its
branches, which flow into Connecticut, r. The Connecticut,
opposite to this t., is about 15 rods wide. It has 2 stores,
cap. $2,000; 1 fulling m., 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,050. 5 sch. 185 scholars. Pop. 630.
Stewartstown, p-o., York co., Pa., 44 s. by e. Harrisburg, 82 W.
Stewartstown, p-v., Richmond co., N. C, 137 s. w. Raleigh, 422
Stewartsville, p-v., Greenwich t., Warren co., N. J., 56 n. n.
w. Trenton, 207 W. Situated on Merritt's branch of Pohatcong
creek, about 1 mile s. of the 3Iorris canal. It contains a store
and about 12 dwellings.
Stewartsville, p-v., Richmond co., N. C, 107 s. w. Raleigh, 403
Stilesville, p-v., Hendricks co., Ia., 28 w. Indianapolis, 599
W. Situated on the national road, and contains 1 store and about
Still Valley, p-v., Greenwich t., Warren co., N. J., 48 n. n. w.
Trenton, 204 W.
Stillwater, p-t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 20 n. Albany, 392 W. The
surface is level or undulating; soil, clay loam on the E., sandy
loam on the w. Drained by Anthony's kill and other small
streams, flowing into Hudson r., which bounds it on the e. In
the n. part of the t. is the battle ground where Burgoyne was
captured by the Americans, under Gen. Gates, Oct. 7th, 1777. The
traveler often surveys its localities Witt deep interest, as
this great event nearly decided the question of American
independence. It has 11 stores, cap. $24,150; 1 cotton fac.
$2,028 sp., 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $57,600. 2
acad. 173 students, 8 sch. 339 scholars. Pop. 2,733.
Stillwater, p-t., Sussex co., N. J., 77 n. Trenton, 234 W. The
surface is hilly, and on the n. w. mountainous; soil, calcareous
loam and slate, and fertile. Drained by Paulinskill cr. and a
tributary of it, flowing from Swartout's pond. It has 3 stores,
cap. $12,000; 2 tanneries, 4 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$32,675. 12 sch. 300 scholars. Pop. 1,476.
Stillwater, p-o., Tuscarawas co., O., 103 e. n. e. Columbus, 302
W. The stream which gives to it its name is a branch of
Tuscarawas r., affording extensive water power, and having salt
springs on its banks, and entering the r. a few ms. below New
Stillwell, p-o., Hanover t., Butler co., O., Ill w. s. w.
Columbus, 501 W.
Stinnett's, p-o., Pope co., Ark., S9 n. w. Little Rock, 1,154 W.
Stipp's Hill, p-o., Franklin co., Ia., 64 e. s. e. Indianapolis,
Stockbridge, p-t., Windsor co., Vt., 42 s. by w. Montpelier, 475
W. The surface is elevated and uneven; soil, well adapted to
grazing. White r. passes through its n. part, and in one place
is compressed into a channel only a few feet wide, where it
affords good water power. Watered by a branch of Tweed r.
Steatite or soapstone is found in considerable quantities.
Chartered in 1761; first settled in 1785; organized in 1792. It
has 2 stores, cap. $16,000; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1
tannery, 2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $30,50J. 10 sch.
437 scholars. Pop. 1,418.
Stockbridge, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass.. 133 w. Boston, 363 W.
The surface is moderately uneven, with extensive alluvial
meadows; sou, generally fertile, especially on the streams.
Watered by Housatonic r. Marble and limestone are extensively
found. The v. is pleasantly situated on a plain, on the n. side
of Housatonic r., and contains 1 Congregational and 1 Baptist
church, a bank, an academy, and about 40 dwellings, many of them
handsome. There is another Congregational church n. w. of the v.
A tribe of Indians resided here from 1735, until their removal
to Oneida, N. Y., in 1788, on a reservation of 6 miles square.
There are in the t. 8 stores, cap. $25,200; 2 cotton fac. 3,800
sp., 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $196,375. 12 sch. 322 scholars. Pop. 1,992.
Stockbridge, p-t., Madison co., N. Y., 5 n. e. Morrisville, 113
w. by n. Albany, 366 W. The surface is uneven; soil, fertile,
generally well cultivated. Drained by Oneida creek. It has 4
stores, cap. $26,000; 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 11 flouring m.,
2 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. S 17,900. 1 acad. 33
students, 13 sch. 747 scholars. Pop. 2,340.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!