Stockbridge, MI to Streetsborough, OH
Stockbridge, p-t., Ingham co., Mich. Pop. 385.
Stockbridge, p-v., Calumet co., Wis., 121 n. e. Madison, 968 W.
Situated on the e. side of Winnebago lake.
Stock Creek, p-o., Scott co., Va., 360 w. s. w. Richmond, 423 W.
The creek here flows through a remarkable natural tunnel.
Stockholm, p-t., St. Lawrence co., N. Y., 223 n. n. w. Albany,
507 W. The surface is hilly, and somewhat stony; soil, a fertile
mold, and heavily timbered. Drained by St. Regis r. and its
tributaries. It has 3 stores, cap. $20,000; 2 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 pottery, 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $10,050. 11 sch. 799 scholars. Pop. 2,995.
Stockholm, p-v., Passaic co., N. J., 95 n. n. e. Trenton, 263 W.
Situated on Pequannock cr., at the loot of Wallkill mountains.
Stockland, p-o., St. Charles co., Mo., 98 E. by N. Jefferson
City, 840 W.
Stockport, p-t., Columbia co., N. Y., 5 n. Hudson, 24 s. Albany,
316 W. The surface is uneven; soil, clay and sandy loam, well
adapted to grass, with a fertile alluvion in the valleys.
Drained by Kinderhook cr., which affords water power, and flows
into Hudson r., which bounds it on the w. Columbiaville is the
name of a manufacturing v. There are in the t. 11 stores, cap.
$17,400; 3 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 3 cotton fac. 7,268 sp., 1
tannery, 1 paper fac, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac.
$814,700. 1 acad. 22 students, 5 sch. 356 scholars. Pop. 1,815.
Stockport, p-v., Buckingham t., Wayne co., Pa., 150 n.
Philadelphia, 191 n. e. Harrisburg, 287 W. Situated on the w.
side of Delaware r.
Stockport, p-o., Morgan co., O., 82 e. by s. Columbus, 326 W.
Stockton, p-t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 7 e. Mayville, 331 w. by
s. Albany, 338 W. The surface is undulating; soil, moist clay on
the uplands, and a fertile alluvion in the valleys. Drained by
Bear cr. It has 3 stores, cap. $6,000; 1 fulling m., 3
tanneries, 1 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $20,465. 14
sch. 761 scholars. Pop. 2,078.
Stockton, p-o., Baldwin co., Ala., 192 s. Tuscaloosa, 984 W.
Stock Township, p-t, Harrison co., O., 113 e. n. e. Columbus,
296 W. The name of the t. is Stock, but the above is the name of
the post-office, situated toward the n. w. part of the co. It
has 5 sch. 177 scholars. Pop. 935.
Stockville, p-v., Buncombe co., N. C.
Stoddard, County, Mo. Situated in the s. e.
part of the state, and contains 900 square miles. White Water r.
runs on its e. border, and St. Francis r. bounds it on the w.
The surface in the n. part is broken, level on the s. It has
extensive prairies and swamps. Capital, Bloomfield. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 4,980, sheep 1,294, swine 20,356; wheat
7,506 bushels produced, Indian corn 255,973, oats 7,005,
potatoes 6,589, cotton 8,135 pounds; 12 stores, capital $12,480;
2 distilleries, 7 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $1,555. 3 sch. 80
scholars. Pop. whites 3.081, slaves 71, free col'd 1; total,
Stoddard, p-t., Cheshire co., N. H., 44 s. w. Concord, 448 W.
The surface is mountainous and rocky, occupying the height of
land between Connecticut and Merrimac Rivers, its streams
flowing into both. The soil is well adapted to grazing.
Incorporated in 1774. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,800; 2 tanneries,
1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $25,655. 13 sch. 295
scholars. Pop. 1,006.
Stoddartsville, p-v., Covington t., Monroe co., Pa., 138 n. e.
by e. Harrisburg, 235 W. It has 1 store, 1 mill, and 5 or 6
Stokes, County, N. C. Situated in the N.,
toward the w. part of the state, and contains 836 sq. ms.
Drained by Yadkin r. and a branch of Dan r. The surface is
hilly; soil, fertile. Capital, Germanton. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 11,533, sheep 11,963, swine 31,017; wheat 74,989
bush, prod., rye 8,347, Indian corn 423,970, oats 107,756,
potatoes 16.129, tobacco 596,103 lbs.; cotton 56,481; 23 stores,
cap. $81,000; 1 furnace, 6 forges, 1 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac.
2,000 sp., 8 tanneries, 140 distilleries, 3 potteries, 5
flouring m., 40 grist m.,26 saw m., 10 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$196,979. 2 acad. 223 students, 13 sch. 317 scholars. Pop.
whites 13,418, slaves 2,682, free col'd 165; total, 16,265.
Stokes, t., Madison co., O. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 6 sch.
305 scholars. Pop. 770.
Stokes, p-o., Lee t., Oneida co., N. Y., 115 w. n. w. Albany,
Stone Arabia, p-v., Palatine t., Montgomery co., N. Y., 57 w. n.
w. Albany, 400 W. It contains a Dutch Reformed church, erected
in 1788, and a Lutheran church, built in 1791, and about 15
dwellings. It is one of the oldest settlements in the county.
Stone, t., Hamilton co., O. It has 1 sch. 30 scholars. Pop. 740.
Stone Church, p-o., Bergen t., Genesee co., N. Y., 240 w.
Albany, 375 W.
Stone Church, p-o., Northampton co., Pa., 121 e. n. e.
Harrisburg, 214 W.
Stoneham, t., Oxford co., Me. It has 5 sch. 146 scholars. Pop.
Stoneham, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 10 n. Boston, 450 W. The
surface is uneven and rocky; soil, fertile, and extensively
covered with wood. Spot pond, in the s. part of the t., covers
283 acres. The v., in the centre, contains a Congregational
church, and about 40 dwellings. More than half the inhabitants
of the t. are employed in the manufacture of shoes. It has 5
stores, cap. $6,600; 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap.
in manufac $29,110. 6 sch. 251 scholars. Pop. 1,017.
Stonelick, t., Clermont co., O. It has 2 stores, cap. $1,800; 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,250. 4 sch.
160 scholars. Pop. 1,477.
Stone Mills, p-o., Orleans t., Jefferson co., N. Y., 176 n. w.
Albany, 426 W.
Stone Mountain, p-o., De Kalb co., Ga., 94 n. w. Milledgeville,
Stone Ridge, p-v., Marbletown t., Ulster co., N. Y., 97 s. s. w.
Albany, 315 W. It contains 1 church, 4 stores, 1 tannery, and
about 25 dwellings.
Stoner's Store, p-o., Roanoke co., Va., 157 w. by s. Richmond,
Stonerstown, p-v., Bedford co., Pa., 100 w. by s. Harrisburg,
Stonesville, p-v., Greenville dist., S. C, 97 n. w. Columbia,
Stone Wall Mills, p-o., Buckingham co., Va., 110 w. Richmond,
196 W. Situated on James r., 15 miles below Lynchburg, and
contains 2 stores, and about 30 inhabitants.
Stonington. p-t., New London co., Ct., 12 e. New London, 60 s.
E. Hartford, 355 W. The surface is uneven and rocky; soil,
fertile, adapted to grazing. Watered by Mystic and Pawcatuck
rivers, which afford water power. It contains 3 villages, and
has 3 churches, 2 Congregational and 1 Baptist. At the head of
the Mystic is a v. which contains about 20 dwellings. The
borough, or principal v., is on a rocky point of land, which
projects half a mile into the e. end of Long Island sound, and
has a good harbor, protected by a breakwater, constructed by the
United States at an expense of $50,000. It contains 2 churches,
2 academies, a bank, 150 dwellings, and about 1,000 inhabitants.
It has considerable navigation, employed chiefly in the whaling
and sealing business. A railroad connects this place with
Providence, which, with the Long Island railroad, not yet
completed, will form the most direct route from New York to
Boston. There are in the t. 18 stores, cap. $49,300; 2 lumber
yards, cap. $11,500; 1 fulling m., 4 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 4
grist m. Cap. in manufac. $86,025. 2 acad. 103 students, 15 sch.
807 scholars. Pop. 3,898.
Stony Brook, p-v., Brookhaven t., Suffolk co., N. Y., 197 s. s.
e. Albany, 277 W. Situated on the N. side of Long Island, and
has a good harbor, accessible at all seasons of the year. It
contains 1 Methodist church, several stores, 1 grist m., 1
fulling m. and cloth-dressing works, a piano-forte fac, 60
dwellings, and 400 in-habitants. Ship-building is extensively
Stony Creek, p-t., Somerset co., Pa., 12 n. e. Somerset. The
Alleghany mountain is on its e. border. Drained by Stony cr. and
its branches. Iron ore is abundant. It has 2 stores, cap.
$2,000; 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 6 grist m.,
15 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,980. 3 sch. 77 scholars. Pop.
Stony Creek, p-o., Shenandoah co., Va., 154 N. w. by n.
Richmond, 109 W.
Stony Creek, p-o., Caswell co., N. C., 79 N. w. Raleigh, 281 W.
Stony Creek, t., Henry co., Ia. It has 1 sch. 30 scholars. Pop.
Stony Creek, t., Randolph co., Ia. It has 4 sch. 95 scholars.
Stony Creek Warehouse, p-o., Sussex co., Va., 42 s. s. e.
Richmond, 161 W.
Stony Gap, p-o., Stanly co., N. C, 124 w. s. w. Raleigh, 398 W.
Stony Hill, p-o., Albany co., N. Y., 9 Albany, 379 W.
Stony Hill, p-o., Richmond co., Va., 71 n. e. Richmond, 118 W.
Stony Mount, p-o., Brunswick co., Va., 72 s. s. w. Richmond, 191
Stony Point, Orange co., N. Y., is a high rocky promontory, at
the head of Haverstraw bay, in Hudson r., on which was a fort,
in the revolutionary war, bravely taken by storm from the
British, in 1779, by the Americans, under Gen. Wayne. A
light-house has been erected on the site of the old fort.
Stony Point, p-o., Albemarle co., Va., 81 w. n. w. Richmond, 111
Stony Point, p-o., Iredell co., N C., 159 w. Raleigh, 396 W.
Stony Point, p-o., Abbeville dist., S. C., 82 w. Columbia, 512
Stony Point, p-o., Wilkes co., Ga., 96 n. e. Milledgeville, 584
Stony Point, p-o., East Baton Rouge par., La., 100 n. w. New
Orleans, 1,142 W.
Stony Point 31ills, p-o., Cumberland co., Va., 58 w. Richmond,
Stony Ridge, p-o., Surry co., N. C.
Stony Ridge, p-o., Wood co., O., 128 n. n. w. Columbus, 445 W.
Stony Run, p-o., Genesee co., Mich., 49 n. w. Detroit, 573 W.
Storeville, p-v., Anderson dist., S. C., 117 w. n. w. Columbia,
Stormville, p-o., Fishkill t., Dutchess co. N. Y., 90 s. Albany,
Stouchburg, p-o., Berks co., Pa., 34 e. Harrisburg, 147 W.
Stoughtstown, p-v., Cumberland co., Pa., 29 w. s. w. Harrisburg,
108 W. It contains a store and 12 dwellings.
Stoughton, p-t., Norfolk co., Mass., 20 s. Boston, 428 W.
Drained by head waters of Neponset r. The v. contains 4
churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1
Universalist, 1 woolen fac and 2 cotton fac Boots and shoes are
extensively manufactured. There was formerly a v. of Christian
Indians in the t. There are in the t. 11 stores, cap. $15,600; 1
fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 3 cotton fac. 580 sp., 2 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $105,210. 10 sch. 622 scholars. Pop. 2,142.
Stout's, p-o., Northampton co., Pa., 102 e. n. e. Harrisburg,
Stout's, p-o., Blount co., Ala., 98 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 750 W.
Stout's, p-o., Adams co., O., 118 s. by w. Columbus, 456 W.
Stow, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 74 w. Augusta, 591 W. Bounded w. by
N. H. It contains several ponds, the outlets of which flow into
Saco r. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 6 sch. 156 scholars. Pop.
Stow, p-t., Lamoille County, Vt., 22 n. n. w. Montpelier, 535 W.
The surface is level, between 2 mountains; soil, fertile.
Drained by Waterbury r. and its branches, which flow s. into
Onion r., and afford water power. First settled in 1793,
organized in 1797. The religious denominations are
Congregationalists, Baptists, Christians, and Universalists. The
central v. contains a handsome church, and a number of
dwellings. There are in the t. 4 stores, cap. $14,500; 2 fulling
m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $24,735. 12 sch. 447 scholars. Pop. 1,371.
Stow, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 25 w. by n. Boston, 427 W.
Watered by Assabet r., which affords water power. The soil is
light and sandy. Hops are extensively cultivated. It contains a
Congregational church. Chartered in 1683. It has 5 stores, cap.
$9,600; 2 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in
manufactures $101,200. 2 acad. 50 students, 5 sch. 300 scholars.
Stow p-t., Summit co., O., 131 n. e. Columbus, 329 W. Drained by
Cuyahoga r., which affords water power. The soil is a sandy
loam, and fertile, and well cultivated. It has 4 stores, cap.
$16,000; 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$52,650. 1 acad. 37 students, 13 sch. 337 scholars. Pop. 1,533.
Stow Creek, t., Cumberland co., N. J., 7 n. w. Bridgeton. The
surface is level or rolling; soil, clay, loam, sand, and gravel.
Drained by Newport cr., on its s. border. It has 1 store, cap.
$3,000; 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $32,220. 4 sch.
100 scholars. Pop. 846.
Stowsville, p-v., Lincoln co., N. C, 180 w. by s. Raleigh, 419
Stow's Square, p-o., Lowville t., Lewis co., N. Y., 140 n. w.
Albany, 439 W.
Stoystown, p-b., Quemahoning t., Somerset co., Pa., 131 w. by s.
Harrisburg, 157 W. Situated on Stony creek, and contains 1
German Reformed church, 3 stores, cap. $13,000; 2 tanneries, 2
distilleries, 6 grist m., 15 saw m. Cap. in manufactures
$12,980. 1 sch. 100 scholars. Pop. 375.
Strabane, t, Adams co., Pa., 6 n. e. Gettysburg. The surface is
level; soil, slate. Drained by Conewago creek and its branches.
It has 3 stores, cap. $6,500; 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1
flouring m., 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac $7,500. Pop.
Strabane, t., Washington co., Pa. The surface is hilly; soil,
loam. Drained by Chartier's and Little Chartier's crs., which
unite on its n. w. boundary. It has 2 stores, capital $1,500; 1
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,300. 7 sch. 280 scholars.
Strabane, p-v., Lenoir co., N. C., 78 s. e. Raleigh, 308 W.
Strafford, County N. H. Situated in the s. e.
part of the state, and contains 500 sq. miles. Salmon Falls, or
Piscataqua r., bounds it on the e., separating it from Maine.
Drained by Lamprey, Cocheco, and Isinglass rs. The surface is
various; soil, generally productive. Capital, Dover. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 57,593, sheep 85,854, swine 26,717; wheat
99,698 bush, produced, rye 33,525, Indian corn 250,427,
buck-wheat 2,020, barley 22,620, oats 101,578, potatoes
1,288.409, sugar 189,150 pounds; 247 stores, cap. 8482,131; 37
fulling ra., 10 woolen fac., 17 cotton fac. 93,961 sp., 3
furnaces, 46 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 pottery, 5 printing
offices, 4 binderies, 3 weekly newspapers, 1 periodical, 86
grist m., 115 saw m., 4 oil m. Capital in manufac. $2,674,874. 1
college 26 students, 12 acad. 1,339 students, 483 sch. 19,836
scholars. Pop. 61,127.
Strafford, p-t., Strafford co., N. H., 25 e. n. e. Concord, 506
W. Blue hill crosses its n. part. The soil is generally fertile.
Bow pond, in its s. w. part, 650 rods long and 400 wide, gives
rise to Isinglass r., which waters its s. part. Drained in its
n. part by branches of Suncook r. Incorporated m 1820. It has 7
stores, cap. $7,800; 1 saw m. Capital in manufac. $1,200. 1
acad. 85 students, 18 sch. 776 scholars. Pop. 2,021.
Strafford, p-t., Orange co., Vt., 34 s. s. e. Montpelier, 502 W.
The surface is uneven; soil, fertile, adapted to grazing.
Watered by a branch of Ompompanoosuc r., which affords water
power. In the s. e. comer is a bed of sulphuret of iron, from
which large quantities of copperas are manufactured. The bed is
half a mile long and 3 rods wide, and of an unknown depth.
Several hundred tons are produced annually. It has 3 stores,
cap. $1,200; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $13,850. 13 sch. 620 scholars. Pop. 1,762.
Strafford Corners, p-o., Strafford co., N. H.
Strait Creek, p-o., Brown co., O., Ill s. w. by s. Columbus, 470
Strait's Lake, p-o., Oakland co., Mich., 33 n. w. Detroit, 557
Straitsville, p-o., New Haven co., Ct., 50 s. Hartford, 314 W.
Strasburg, p-t., Lancaster co., Pa., 46 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 120
W. The surface is rolling and hilly; soil, calcareous loam.
Pecquea cr. runs on its n. and w. boundary, and affords water
power. Drained by Little Beaver cr. The v. is 8 m. e. Lancaster,
and contains 1 church, an academy, 6 stores, and about 145
dwellings. The t. has 10 stores, cap. $64,000; 4 tanneries, 8
distilleries, 10 flouring m., 8 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $211,800. 8 sch. 320 scholars. Pop. 4,155.
Strasburg, p-v., Shenandoah co., Va., 153 n. w. Richmond, 92 W.
Situated on the n. branch of Shenandoah r., and contains 3
churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Lutheran, and 1 free to all
denominations, 4 stores, 1 stoneware fac, numerous mechanic
shops, and about 500 inhabitants, who are chiefly Germans.
Strasburg, p-v., Wayne t., Tuscarawas co., O., 115 e. n. e.
Columbus, 321 W.
Stratford, p-t., Coos co., N. H., 116 n. Concord, 577 W.
Connecticut r. bounds it on the w., along which is fertile
intervals. Drained by Bog brook, and other small streams flowing
into Connecticut r., and Nash's stream, a branch of Upper
Ammonoosuc r. The surface is uneven and rough; soil, gravelly
and cold. It has 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,200. 7
sch. 200 scholars. Pop. 441.
Stratford, p-t., Fairfield co., Ct., 50 s. w. Hartford, 237 W.
The surface is generally level; soil, fertile, particularly on
the Housatonic river, which bounds it on the e. The v. is
pleasantly situated at the mouth of the Housatonic, chiefly on 1
street a mile long, parallel to the river, and contains 5
churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist,
and 1 Universalist, an academy, and about 200 dwellings, many of
them neat, and ornamented with shade trees. The Episcopal church
was founded in 1723, and is the oldest of the denomination in
the state. It has 12 stores, cap. $23,700; 1 lumber yard, cap.
$2,500; 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $18,000. 1 acad. 36 students, 9 sch. 323 scholars. Pop.
Stratford, t., Fulton co., N. Y., 15 n. w. Johnstown, 60 n. w.
Albany. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, indifferent,
but adapted to grazing. Drained by East Canada cr. and its
tributaries. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m.,
12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $18,180. 3 sch. 109 scholars. Pop.
Stratham, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 41 s. e. by e. Concord,
484 W. The surface is level; soil, generally fertile. It
contains a peat swamp in its e. part. Exeter r. runs on its w.
border, and is navigable. Incorporated in 1716. It has 1 store,
cap. $100; 2 tanneries, 7 grist m., 2 saw m. 3 sch. 142
scholars. Pop. 875.
Stratton, p-t. Windham co., Vt., 22 n. w. Brattleboro', 109 s.
by w. Montpelier, 436 W. The surface is mountainous, bordering
on the Green mountain range; soil, cold, and adapted chiefly to
grazing. A pond of 100 acres, in the s. part, discharges its
waters into Deerfield river, which rises in this t., and another
in the n. w., of the same extent, flows n. into Windhall r. It
contains a church, common to Congregationalists and Baptists. It
has 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 5 sch. 132 scholars. Pop. 341.
Stratton's Fall, p-o., Delaware co., N. Y., 68 w. s. w. Albany,
Strattonsville, p-v., Clarion co., Pa., 180 w. n. w. Harrisburg,
269 W. It contains 1 store, and about 15 dwellings.
Strawberry, t., Lawrence co., Ark. It has 1 sch. 15 scholars.
Strawberry Grove, p-o., Henry co., Ill., 142 N. N. w.
Springfield, 855 W.
Strawberry Island, N. Y. Situated in Niagara river, about 1 mile
below Black Rock. It abounds with wild ducks, and affords fine
Strawberry Plains, p-o., Jefferson co., Tenn., 199 e. Nashville,
Strawbridge, p-o., York co., Pa., 49 s. s. e. Harrisburg, 87 W.
Strawntown, p-v., Haycock t., Bucks co., Pa., 108 e. Harrisburg,
177 W. It contains a store, and about 14 dwellings.
Strawtown, p-v., Hamilton co., Ia., 27 n. Indianapolis, 565 W.
Situated on White river. It contains 2 stores, several
mechanics, and a few dwellings.
Streetsborough, p-t., Portage co., O., 139 n. e. Columbus, 330
W. The soil is fertile, adapted to grazing. Watered by Cuyahoga
river and Tinker's cr. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1
Methodist church. It has 8 sch. 189 scholars. Pop. 983.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!