Taberg, NY to Taunton, MA
Taberg, p-v., Annsville t., Oneida co., N. Y., 118 w. n. w.
Albany, 402 W. Situated on Fish cr., and contains 1 church, 1
store, 2 grist m., several saw m., 1 blast furnace, and from 20
to 25 dwellings.
Table Grove, p-o., Fulton co., Ill., 71 n. w. Springfield, 849
W. The grove from which it is named, is a beautiful tract of
timber, of from 150 to 200 acres, elevated and commanding a
Tabor Church, p-o., Iredell co., N. C., 159 w. Raleigh, 372 W.
Situated in the w. part of the co.
Tacoah, p-o., Gilmer co, Ga., 194 n. n. w. Milledgeville, 622 W.
Tacketts Mill, p-o., Shafford co., Va.
Tafton, p-v., Pike co., Pa., 175 n. e. Harrisburg, 269 W.
Taftsville, p-v., Windsor co., Vt., 54 s. Montpelier, 488 W.
Taghkanic, p-t., Columbia co., N. Y., 12 e. Hudson, 41 s.
Albany, 347 W. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, clay,
loam, and gravel, and very fertile in the valleys. Drained by
Copake cr. It has 2 stores, cap. $1,500; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen
fac, 2 flouring m., 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$7,900. 6 sch. 403 scholars. Pop. 1,674.
Taghkanic, mts., N. Y., a range in the e. part of the state, 50
ms. long, near the state line, commencing in Rensselaer co., and
entering Mass., and extending through Columbia and Dutchess
counties. Its highest summits are in Sheffield, in the s. w.
corner of Mass., about 3,000 feet above tidewater. They are a
branch of the Green mountains, and divide the waters which flow
into Hudson r. from those which enter Long Island sound.
Talking Rock, p-o., Gilmer co., Ga., 176 n. w. Milledgeville,
Talbot, County, Md. Situated toward the e. part
of the state, on the e. shore of Chesapeake bay, and contains
250 sq. ms. Choptank river bounds it on the e. Several bays set
up from the Chesapeake, the chief of which are Treadhaven and
St. Michaels. Wye r. bounds it on the n. w. Capital, Easton.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,850, sheep 9,640, swine
14,298; wheat 222,822 bush, produced, rye 4,494, Ind. corn
517,239, buckwheat 34, oats 40,151, potatoes 20,224, tobacco
225; 1 commission house, cap. $4,000; 29 stores, cap. $85,550; 2
tanneries, 1 distillery, 6 grist m., 1 saw m., 2 printing
offices, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $19,000. 4 acad.
78 students, 21 sch. 870 scholars. Pop. whites 6,063, slaves
3,637, free col'd 2,340; total, 12,090.
Talbot, County, Ga. Situated s. e. of the
centre of the state, and contains 400 square miles. Flint River
bounds it on the n. e., by branches of which it is drained. In
the w. part some small streams flow to Chattahoochee r. Capital,
Talbotton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 15,822, sheep 6,342,
swine 46,025; wheat 71,743 bush, produced, rye 1,705, Indian
corn 671,430, oats 33,850 potatoes 16,755, cotton 6,772,393
pounds; 34 stores, cap. $199,000; 5 tanneries, 4 flouring m., 38
grist m., 34 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $99,500. 2 acad. 101
students, 17 sch. 610 scholars. Pop. whites 8,861, slaves 6,746,
free col'd 20; total, 15,627.
Talbotton, p-v., capital of Talbot co., Ga., 92 w. s. w.
Milledgeville, 726 W. It contains a court house, jail, several
stores, 2 churches, 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist, 2 academies, and
about 800 inhabitants.
Talladega, County, Ala. Situated toward the e.
part of the state, and contains 1,230 sq. ms. Coosa r. forme its
w. boundary, by branches of which and of Tallapoosa r. it is
drained. Capital, Talladega. There were in 1840, neat cattle
16,826, sheep 3,825, swine 39,803; wheat 41,106 bush, produced,
Ind. corn 610,357, oats 26,218, potatoes 24,005, rice 2,495
pounds, tobacco 6,028, cotton 2,610,121; 17 stores, cap.
$107,925; 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 15 grist m., 11 saw m., 1
printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $50,632. 6
acad. 182 students, 15 sch. 358 scholars. Pop. whites 7,663,
slaves 4,898, free col'd 26; total, 12,587.
Talladega, p-v., capital of Talladega co., Ala., 116 e.
Tuscaloosa, 757 W. Situated on a branch of Coosa r., and
contains a court house, jail, and about 600 inhabitants.
Taliaferro, County, Ga. Situated n. e. of the
centre of the state, and contains 130 sq. ms. Drained by
branches of Little r. which flows into Savannah r., and by
branches of Ogeechee r. Capital, Crawfordsville. There were in
1840, neat cattle 5,487, sheep 3,527, swine 12,215; wheat 16,627
bush, produced, Ind. corn 165,411, oats 21,336, potatoes 5,136,
tobacco 410 pounds, cotton 1,486,406; 10 stores, cap. $34,000; 1
tannery, 9 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufactures, $6,000. 6
sch. 201 scholars. Pop. whites 2,295, slaves 2,856, free col'd
39; total, 5,190.
Tallahassee, City, and capital of Leon co., and of the Territory
of Florida, 20 n. St. Marks, 292 w. St. Augustine, 896 W. It is
situated on a commanding eminence. A fine mill stream flowing
from several springs, runs on its e. border, falls 15 or 16 feet
into a pool scooped out by its own current, and after running a
short distance, sinks into a cleft of limestone rock. The city
contains a state house, court house, jail, a market house, a U.
S. land office, an academy, Masonic hall, 3 churches, 1
Episcopal, 1 Methodist, and 1 Presbyterian, a bank, 3 printing
offices, 3 weekly newspapers, a tannery, about 30 stores, 400
dwellings, and 1,616 inhabitants. In the winter of 1842 it
contained about 2,510 inhabitants. It is regularly laid out, and
has several public squares.
Tallahatchee, County, Miss. Situated toward the
n. w. part of the state, and contains 1,188 sq. ms. Drained by
Tallahatchee r. and its branches. Capital, Charleston. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 4,737, sheep 890, swine 10,259; wheat
1,887 bush, produced, Ind. corn 136,760, oats 7,046, potatoes
11,930, cotton 1,596,965 pounds; 5 grist m., 2 saw m., 3 sch. 48
scholars, Pop. whites 1,392, slaves 1,591, free col'd 2; total,
Tallapoosa, r., Ga. and Ala., rises in Carroll co., Ga., and
flows s. w. into Ala., where, by a various course, it receives
numerous small tributaries, and becomes a large r., and joining
with the Coosa r., between Montgomery and Autauga counties, the
united stream forms the Alabama river.
Tallapoosa, County, Ala. Situated toward the e.
part of the state, and contains 910 sq. ms. Drained by
Tallapoosa r. and its branches. Capital, Dadeville. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 11,991, sheep 1,025, swine 13,738; wheat
11,683 bush, produced, Ind. corn 159,580, oats 2,803, potatoes
10,484, tobacco 1,550 pounds, cotton 217,609; 12 stores, cap.
$41,550; 3 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 8 flouring m., 19 grist
m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $60,740. 1 acad., 10 sch. 248
scholars. Pop. whites 4,424, slaves 2,013, free col'd 7; total,
Tallapoosa, p-o., Carroll co., Ga., 153 w. n. w. Milledgeville,
Tallassee, p-v., Tallapoosa co., Ala., 134 e. s. e. Tuscaloosa,
814 W. Situated on the e. side of Tallapoosa r. It contains
several stores and about 100 inhabitants.
Tallmadge, p-t., Summit co., O., 128 n. e. Columbus, 332 W.
Watered by Cuyahoga r. The soil is fertile and well cultivated.
The Pennsylvania and Ohio canal passes through it. In the n. w.
part is an extensive bed of bituminous coal, which is wrought
and exported. The v. at the centre is pleasantly situated around
a public square, from which the roads diverge to the different
parts of the t., and contains a Congregational church, a store,
a large carriage fac, an academy, and a number of dwellings. The
t. also contains the flourishing v. of Middlebury, and a part of
the large v. of Cuyahoga Falls, which see. It has 8 stores, cap.
$62,500; 2 furnaces, 1 forge, 2 tanneries, 1 brewery, 2 paper
fac, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 2 flouring m., 3 saw
m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufactures $123,890. 1 acad. 35 students,
9 sch. 273 scholars. Pop. 2,134.
Tallmadge, p-t., Ottowa co., Mich., 181 w. n. w. Detroit, 662 W.
It has 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,000. Pop. 139.
Tallmadge, t., Oceana co., Mich. Population 139.
Tallmansville, p-o., Wayne co., Pa., 195 n. e. Harrisburg, 289
Talleyville, p-o., New Castle co., Del.
Tally Ho, p-o., Granville co., N. C., 43 n. Raleigh, 266 W.
Talofa, p-o., Madison co., Flor.
Tamaqua, p-b., Schuylkill co., Pa., 79 n. e. Harrisburg, 189 W.
Situated on Tamaqua or Little Schuylkill r., at the n.
termination of the railroad communication with Port Clinton. It
was founded in 1829, and contains 3 stores, and about 35
dwellings. It is surrounded by abundance of excellent anthracite
coal, in a wild, mountainous, and sterile country. It is chiefly
dependent on the coal trade. It has 3 stores, cap. $18,000; 1
brewery. Cap. in manufactures $1,720. Pop. 465.
Tamarwa, p-v., St. Clair co., Ill., 114 s. by w. Springfield,
823 W. Pleasantly situated in an elevated situation on the w.
side of Kaskaskia r., at the lower end of Twelve Mile prairie.
Tampa, bay, Flor., called by the Spaniards, Espiritu Santo, is
the largest bay in the Gulf of Mexico. It is 40 ms. long, and in
one place 35 wide, with from 15 to 20 feet of water on the bar.
It is easy of access, and affords a safe anchorage for any
number of vessels. It receives Hillsboro r., and at its mouth is
Brock Cantonment, beautifully situated. 14 ms. s. e. from this,
Manate r. enters, about 1 mile wide at its mouth, and in some
places 10 feet deep. Between these rivers, Indian and Alafia
rivers enter the bay. Oyster r. enters 20 ms. below Manate r.
Little Tampa bay, in its n. part, is an elliptical basin, 10 ms.
in diameter, but very shallow. There are numerous islands at the
mouth of Tampa bay, and it abounds with fish and water fowls.
Tampa, p-v., and capital of Hillsboro' co., Flor. Situated at
the head of Tampa bay.
Tamworth, p-t., Carroll co., N. H., 55 n. Concord, 539 W. The
surface consists of ridges and valleys, and is uneven and rough;
soil, generally fertile. Watered by Bearcamp r., which flows
into Ossipee Lake, and Conway r., its branch, and by headwaters
of Swift r. These streams afford good water power. Chartered in
1766, first settled in 1771. It has 3 stores, cap. $3,700; 1
fulling m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,070. 19 sen. 672
scholars. Pop. 1,717.
Taney, County, Mo. Situated in the s., toward
the w. part of the state, and contains 1,426 sq. ms. Drained by
White r. and its branches. Capital, Forsyth. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 8,133, sheep 2,424, swine 11,496; wheat 6,896 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 182,102, oats 5,577, potatoes 3,844, tobacco
17,205 pounds, cotton 10,650, sugar 5,900; 3 stores, cap.
$2,600; 3 distilleries, 12 grist m., 6 saw m. Pop. whites 2,212,
slaves 40, free col'd 12; total, 2,264.
Taneytown, p-v., Carroll co., Md., 22 N. n. e. Frederick, 71 n.
n. w. Annapolis, 68 W. It contains a number of mills, and some
iron works, and about 200 inhabitants.
Tangipahao, r., Miss, and La., rises in Pike and Amite counties
of the former, and flows s. into the latter, and pursues a
course s. by e. to its entrance into Lake Pontchartrain, between
St. Tammany and Livingston parishes. It is about 80 miles long.
Tangier Islands, Va., in Chesapeake Bay, in the n. part of the
mouth of Pocomoke bay.
Taneyville, p-v., Lycoming co., Pa.
Tanner's Creek, p-o., Dearborn co., Ia.
Tanner's Store, p-o., Mecklenburg co., Va., 89 s. w. Richmond,
Tannersville, p-v., Hunter t., Greene co., N. Y., 50 s. w.
Albany, 352 W.
Tannersville, p-v., Monroe co., Pa., 124 n. e. Harrisburg, 218
Tappahannoc, port of entry, and capital of Essex county, Va., 50
n. e. by e. Richmond, 112 W. Situated on the s. w. side of
Rappahannock r., 50 miles from its mouth in Chesapeake bay. The
situation is low and unhealthy. It contains a court house, jail,
1 church, free to all denominations, a female seminary, 4
stores, 30 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants. It has a good
harbor. All the shipping belonging to the towns on the r. is
entered at the custom house at this place. Tonnage 1840, 4,591.
Tappan, p-o., Harrison, O., 110 e. n. e. Columbus, 299 W.
Tappan, bay, N. Y., is an expansion of Hudson r., 22 miles n. of
New York City, 10 or 12 miles long, and from 2 to 3 miles wide.
The country on its borders is highly picturesque. At the
termination of the New York and Erie railroad, on its w. side, a
wharf has been extended into it one mile long, to which
steamboats of the largest class can come.
Tappantown, p-v., Orangetown t., Rockland co., N. Y., 134 s. by
w. Albany, 256 W. Situated 3 miles w. of Hudson river. It
contains 2 churches, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 20 dwellings, and
about 125 inhabitants. It is surrounded by a fertile and highly
cultivated country. Here Major Andre was executed as a spy, Oct.
2d, 1780. His remains have since been removed to England, and
interred in Westminster Abbey.
Tarboro', p-v., capital of Edgecombe co., N. C., 76 e. by n.
Raleigh, 262 W. Situated on the w. side of Tar r., at the head
of steamboat navigation, 85 miles above its mouth, in Pamlico
sound. It contains a court house, jail, a bank, an academy, and
about 600 inhabitants.
Tar, r., N. C., rises in Person co., and flowing, in a general
course, s. e. by e., it receives in Edgecombe co. Fishing cr., a
large branch from the n., and below Washington it expands into a
wide estuary, which is denominated Pamlico r., until it enters
Pamlico Sound. Its entire length is about 180 miles. Vessels
drawing 9 feet of water navigate it to Washington, and small
steamboats to Tarborough.
Tarentum, p-v., Deer t., Alleghany co., Pa., 204 w. by n.
Harrisburg, 235 W. Situated on the n. w. side of Alleghany r.,
and on the Pennsylvania canal, 18 or 20 miles above Pittsburg,
and contains about 40 dwellings.
Tariff, p-o., Butler co., O., 117 w. s. w. Columbus, 505 W.
Tariffville, p-v., Simsbury t., Hartford co., Ct., 12 n.
Hartford, 348 W. Situated on the w. bank of Farmington r. It
contains an Episcopal church, and a large carpet fac, employing
175 laborers, and producing, annually, about 132,000 yds. of
Tarlton, p-v., Salt Creek t., Pickawav co., O., 10 n.
Circleville, 46 s. Columbus, 391 W. It contains 1 Methodist, 1
German Lutheran, and 1 Presbyterian Church, 5 stores, numerous
mechanic shops, 2 tanneries, 60 dwellings, and about 360
Tarpaulin Cove, Mass., 9 w. n. w. Holmes Hole, on the s. e. side
of Nashawn island. It is a good harbor.
Tarrytown, p-v., Greenburg t., Westchester co., N. Y., 122 s.
Albany, 252 W. Situated on the e. bank of Hudson r., and
contains 3 churches, 7 stores, a female academy, the Irving
Institute, 100 dwellings, and about 1,000 inhabitants. Here
Major Andre was captured in the revolutionary war. North of the
v. is "Sleepy Hollow," rendered famous by the legend of
Washington Irving. Steamboats run daily to New York, and several
sloops are owned here, employed in the river trade.
Tarversville, p-v., Twiggs co., Ga., 50 s. s. w. Milledgeville,
698 W. It contains an academy, 2 stores and several dwellings.
Tassinong, p-o., Porter co., Ia., 126 n. n. w. Indianapolis, 685
Tate, t., Clermont co., O. It has 5 stores, cap. $8,300; 3
tanneries, 3 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac.
$8,325. 7 sch. 358 scholars. Pop. 2,364.
Tatnall, County, Ga. Situated toward the s. e.
part of the state, and contains 1,000 sq. ms. Altamaha r. bounds
it on the s. w., and Cannouchee r. on the n. e. Drained by the
Great Ohoopee r. and Little Cannouchee r., and Pendleton's and
Beard's creeks. Capital, Reidsville. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 2,677, sheep 443, swine 2,107; wheat 526 bushels
produced, Indian corn 9,259, potatoes 4,201, cotton 9,587
pounds, sugar 1,865; 1 store, 4 grist m., 3 saw m. Pop. whites
1,878, slaves 841, free col'd 5; total, 2,724.
Taunton, r., Mass., rises in Plymouth County, and running s. w.
falls into Mount Hope bay, a branch of Narraganset bay. It is
navigable for sloops of 50 tons, twenty miles, to Taunton. It
affords extensive water power. Alewives are abundantly taken in
Taunton, p-t., and semi-capital of Bristol co., Mass., is
situated on Taunton r., which is navigable to this place for
small vessels, 20 e. by n. Providence, 32¼ s. Boston, 420 W.
Pop. 1830, 6,042; 1840, 7,645. First settled in 1637. Canoe and
Rumford rivers join Taunton r. in this town, and furnish
extensive water power, which has been well improved in
manufacturing. The town contains some good land, which is well
cultivated; but the inhabitants depend chiefly upon
manufactures. The village contains a court house, a jail, a town
house, a bank, and 8 churches, 4 Congregational, 2 Baptist, 1
Episcopal, 1 Methodist, and 1 Roman Catholic. Iron works were
established here as early as 1652, and among its manufactures
that of nails is particularly distinguished. A railroad connects
this place with Boston, and also with New Bedford. There are in
the t. 62 stores, cap. $139,800; 4 lumber yards, cap. $19,000; 2
furnaces and 2 forges; hardware and cutlery manufactured to the
value of $50,000; I fulling m., 6 cotton fac. 19,956 sp., 1
dyeing and printing estab., 1 tannery, 1 pottery, 12 saw m., 1
paper fac, 3 printing offices, 2 binderies, 2 weekly newspapers.
Cap. in manufac. $622,950. 2 acad. 179 students, 43 sch. 1,900
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!