Tippecanoe, OH to Townsend, VT
Tippecanoe, p-o., Harrison co., O.
Tippecanoe, p-t., Tippecanoe co., Ia., 82 n. w. Indianapolis,
640 W. It has 3 sch. 79 scholars. Pop. 1,374.
Tippecanoe, p-o., Macon co., Mo.
Tipton, County, Tenn. Situated in the w. part
of the state, and contains 415 sq. ms. Mississippi r. bounds it
on the w. Watered by Hatchy r. and its branches, and Forked Deer
r. in its n. w. part, and branches of Loosahatchy r. in its s.
part. Capital, Covington. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,974,
sheep 1,207, swine 21,851; wheat 12,819 bush, produced, rye
2,493, Ind. corn 359,269, oats 21,890, potatoes 26,285, tobacco
74,110 pounds, cotton 1,015,892; 2 commercial houses and 2
commission houses, cap. $15,500; 3 stores, cap. $20,300; 2
flouring m., 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,000. 1
acad. 55 students, 7 sch. 140 scholars. Pop. whites 3,637,
slaves 3,132, free col'd 31; total, 6,800.
Tipton, p-o., Lenawee co., Mich., 63 s. w. Detroit, 518 W
Tipton, p-v., capital of Cedar co., Iowa. Situated a little w.
of Sugar cr., a branch of Cedar r., on a high rolling prairie.
It contains a court house, and about 50 inhabitants.
Tiptonsport, p-v., Carroll co., Ia., 7 n. Delphi, 75 n. n. w.
Indianapolis, 627 W. Situated on the s. e. side of Wabash r.
Tiro, p-o., Auburn t., Richland co., O., 84 n. n. e. Columbus,
Tishamingo, County, Miss. Situated in the N. e.
corner of the state, and contains 1,300 sq. ms. Tennessee r.
runs on its n. e. boundary. Drained by Yellow and Tuscumbia
creeks, and head branches of the e. fork of Tombigbee r.
Capital, Jacinto. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,120, sheep
2,324, swine 22,371; wheat 5,130 bush, produced, Ind. corn
281,451, oats 9,223, potatoes 9,102, cotton 175,475 pounds; 5
stores, cap. $19,400; 6 cotton fac, 3 tanneries, 7 grist m., 6
oil m. Cap, in manufac. $12,225. 14 sch. 301 scholars. Pop.
whites 5,852, slaves 828, free col'd 1; total, 6,681.
Tisbury, t., Dukes co., Mass., 85 s. s. E. Bos-ton, 23 s. E. New
Bedford. It occupies the central part of the island of Martha's
Vineyard. The surface is level, with some hills in the n. part;
soil, generally fertile. Holmes Hole, in its n. e. part, has a
good harbor, and a v., which contains a Baptist and a Methodist
church, and about 100 dwellings. There are also in the t. 1
Congregational and 1 Baptist church, in a v. in the w. part of
the t. There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $20,100; 1 fulling m.,
1 woolen fac, 5 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $2,245. 1 acad. 40
students, 6 sch. 205 scholars. Pop. 1,520.
Titus' Store, p-o., Cadiz t., Harrison co., O., 107 e. by n.
Columbus, 291 W.
Titusville, p-v., Mercer co., N. J., 8 e. Trenton, 167 V/.
Tiverton, p-t., Newport co., R. I., 13 n. e. Newport, 24 s. e.
Providence, 420 W. The surface is gently uneven; soil, gravelly
loam, and fertile. Bounded on the w. by the e. passage of
Narraganset bay, and Mount Hope bay. Its navigable waters afford
great facilities for navigation, of which it has considerable,
employed chiefly in the fisheries. It has several ponds, well
stored with fish, the outlets of which afford water power. A
stone bridge, 1,000 feet long, connects it with Rhode Island. It
has 14 store, cap. $10,575; 2 woolen fac, 6 cotton fac. 1,600
sp., 8 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $132,900. 19 sch. 527
scholars. Pop. 3,183.
Tiverton, p-t., Coshocton co., O. Organized in 1824, by the name
of Union, but soon changed to its present name. It has 2 stores,
cap. $2,0U0; 1 tannery, 1 flouring m. Pop. 665.
Tiverton Four Corners, p-o., Newport co-ll. I., 28 s. E.
Providence, 424 W.
Tivoli, p-v., Redhook t., Dutchess co., N. Y. 51 s. Albany, 329
W. Situated on the e. side of Hudson r., and contains 2
churches, 3 stores, 2 grist m., 1 cloth fac, 2 saw m., 50
dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants. A steam ferry-boat crosses
Hudson r. to Saugerties. It has been known as Redhook Upper
Tobacco Port, p-v., Caldwell co., Ky., 227 w. s. w. Frankfort,
Tobacco Port, p-v., Stewart co., Tenn., 85 w. n. w. Nashville,
765 W. It contains about 50 inhabitants.
Tobacco Row, p-o., Amherst co., Va.
Tobacco Stick, p-o., Dorchester co., Md.
Tobehanna, t., Monroe co., Pa. The surface is hilly; soil,
gravel and barren. Lehigh r. bounds it on the n. w. Drained by
Tobehanna cr. and its branches. It has 26 saw m., 3 sch. 20
scholars. Pop. 591.
Tobehanna, p-o., Tyrone t., Steuben co., N. Y., 198 w. by s.
Albany, 313 W.
Tobehanna, r., Pa., receives several tributaries, passes through
a swampy country, and enters the Lehigh 2 ms. below
Stoddartsville. It is capable of affording water power.
Toboyne, t., Perry co., Pa. It has 5 stores, cap. $11,000; 3
tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 flouring m., 2 grist m., 11 saw m.
Cap. in manufac $23,737. 10 sch. 250 scholars. Pop. 1,442.
Toby, t., Clarion co., Pa., 15 n. Kittaning. 190 n. e.
Harrisburg, 236 W. The surface is partly rolling, partly level;
soil, loam. Clarion r. bounds it on the n. and Alleghany r. on
the w. Drained by Licking, Cherryrun, Catfish, and Red Bank
creeks. Salt and copperas are found. It has 4 stores, cap.
$6,700; 1 fulling m., 1 furnace, 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1
pottery, 4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $44,370. 4 sch.
22 scholars. Pop. 1,829.
Todd, County, Ky. Situated in the s., toward
the w. part of the state, and contains 612 sq ms. Drained by
Wolf Lick fork of Muddy r., and other streams, flowing into
Green r., and by Elk fork of Red r. and its branches, flowing
into Cumberland r. Capital, Elkton. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 8,359, sheep 11,557, swine 33,405: wheat 83,717 bush,
pro., rye 2,609, In. corn 632,950, oats 206,065, potatoes
12,634, tobacco 3,123,898 pounds, cotton 9,606, sugar 11,160; 18
stores, cap. $72,800; 4 tanneries, 18 distilleries, 7 flouring
m., 25 grist m., 10 saw m., 1 printing office. Cap. in manufac
$43,260. 9 acad. 245 students, 16 sch. 340 scholars. Pop. whites
6,070, slaves 3,879, free col'd 42; total 9,991.
Todd, t., Huntington co., Pa. It has 1 furnace, 1 forge, 3 grist
m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,205. 1 sch. 56 scholars. Pop.
Todd's, p-o., Spottsylvania co., Va., 79 n. Richmond, 78 W.
Toledo, p-v., Port Lawrence t., capital of Lucas co., O., 134 n.
n. w. Columbus, 464 W. Situated on the w. bank of Maumee r.,
near its entrance into Maumee bay. It contains 41 stores, 6
warehouses, 35 mechanic shops, 2 steam saw m., 2 iron foundries,
and 2 printing offices, each issuing a weekly newspaper. The
number of steamboat arrivals is over 400 annually, and of
schooners about 250. It is 2½ ms. above Manhattan v. Steamboats
continually ply between Toledo and Detroit. Pop. 1,222.
Toler's, p-o., Amite co., Miss., 110 s. s. w. Jackson, 1,110 W.
Tolersville, p-v., Louisa co., Va., 54 n. w. Richmond, 97 W.
Tolland, County, Ct. Situated in the n. toward
the e. part of the state, and contains 337 sq. ms. Surface in
the w. undulating or level, in the e. hilly and mountainous;
soil, in the w. adapted to grain, in the e. to grazing. Watered
by Willimantic and Hop rivers, and their branches, in the e.,
and by Scantic, Hockanum, and Salmon Rivers in the w. Its
streams afford good water power. Capital, Tolland. There were in
1840, neat cattle 17,485, sheep 43,654, swine 7,713; wheat 7,552
bush, produced, rye 50,709, Ind. corn 87,348, buckwheat 20,105,
oats 88,660, potatoes 231,090, silk cocoons 10,508 pounds; 53
stores, cap. $153,320; 6 furnaces, 2 forges, 17 fulling m., 19
woolen fac, 11 cotton fac. 8,622 sp., 15 tanneries, 9
distilleries, 2 glass fac, 1 pottery, 35 grist m., 74 saw m., 3
oil m., 3 paper fac. Cap. in manufac. $931,662. 2 acad. 53
students, 124 sch. 4,830 scholars. Pop. 17,980.
Tolland, p-t., Hampden co., Mass., 118 w. Boston, 364 W. The
surface is elevated; soil, adapted to grazing. Farmington r.
runs through its n. w. part, and on its s. w. border. Watered by
branches of this r., one of which flows from a large pond, a
little n. of the centre. The v. contains a Congregational
church. There are in the t. 1 tannery, 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$6,200. 7 sch. 149 scholars. Pop. 627.
Tolland, p-t., capital of Tolland co., Ct., 18 e. n. e.
Hartford, 354 W. The surface is mountainous and rough; soil, in
the valleys, a warm, fertile loam. Snipsic pond, on its n. w.
border, is 2 ms. long, and 100 rods wide, and has its outlet
into Hockanum r. A little s. of the centre is another pond,
which receives and discharges the head waters of Hop r. The v.,
situated on an elevated plain, contains a court house, a jail, a
bank, 3 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist,
and about 40 dwellings, many of them neat. There are in the t. 6
stores, cap. $13,500; 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $8,650. 1 acad. 25 students, 12 sch. 457 scholars. Pop.
Toll Gate, p-o., Marion co., Ala., 78 n. n. w. Tuscaloosa, 829
Tombigbee, r., Miss, and Ala., rises in several sources in
Tishamingo co., Miss., and flowing s., receives various
branches, and passes Columbus, Miss., in Lowndes co., and in the
lower part of the co. it passes into Ala.; and 60 ms. below,
receives from the N. e. the Black Warrior, nearly as large as
itself, at Buffport, and proceeding in a winding course s. 100
ms., it joins the Alabama r. to form Mobile r., 45 ms. above the
head of Mobile bay, and about 70 ms. from the Gulf of Mexico.
Its whole course, including its windings, is nearly 500 ms. It
is navigable for large vessels, nine months in the year, to St.
Stephen's, and for steamboats to Columbus, Miss.
Tomhannock, p-o., Pittstown t., Rensselaer co., N. Y., 20 e.
Albany, 390 W.
Tompkins, County, N. Y. Situated a little s. w.
of the centre of the state, and contains 580 sq. ms. The s. part
of Cayuga and Seneca lakes extend into the co., and through them
it has access to the Erie canal, and through the lakes a passage
by steamboats. Watered by Fall and Six-Mile creeks, and Cayuga
inlet, which flow into Cayuga lake, have fine falls, and afford
extensive water power. The surface is moderately uneven; soil,
very fertile, adapted to grain and to grass. Capital, Ithaca.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 28,908, sheep 86,525, swine
23,772; wheat 377,201 bush, produced, rye 4,579, Ind. corn
216,515, buckwheat 71,122, barley 9,104, oats 288,695, potatoes
339,557, hops 2,100 pounds, silk cocoons 200, sugar 88,747; 95
stores, cap. $585,450; 11 lumber yards, cap. $169,125; 2
furnaces, 19 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 1,572 sp.,
27 tanneries, 5 distilleries, 1 brewery, 1 rope fac, 8 flouring
m., 30 grist m., 178 saw m., 3 oil m., 2 paper fac, 5 printing
offices, 3 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $680,9d3. 2 acad.
337 students, 225 sch. 12,678 scholars. Pop. 37,948.
Tompkins, t, Delaware co., N. Y., 22 s. w. Delhi, 100 s. s. w.
Albany. The surface is hilly and mountainous. Drained by Mohawk
or w. branch of Delaware r. and its tributaries, and by
tributaries of Popacton branch of Delaware r. The line of the
New York and Erie railroad passes through its s. part. It has 5
stores, cap. $18,900; 2 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 26
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $17,705. 18 sch. 597 scholars. Pop.
Tompkins, p-t., Jackson co., Mich., 91 w. Detroit, 561 W.
Drained by Grand r. and its branch, Sandstone r. It has 2 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $7,200. Pop. 209.
Tompkinsville, p-v., Castleton t., Richmond co., N. Y., 154 s.
by w. Albany, 6 s. New York, 234 W. Pleasantly situated on the
n. e. part of Staten Island, overlooking the Quarantine Ground.
Steam ferry-boats connect it with New York. Incorporated in
1823, and contains 3 churches, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1 Episcopal,
and 1 Methodist, 12 stores and groceries, 200 dwellings, and
about 1,400 inhabitants. It contains a marine hospital, or
lazaretto, for the reception of patients, arriving from foreign
ports, afflicted with infectious or contagious diseases. It
opens April 1st, and closes November 1st, annually. The Marine
Hospital is 177 feet long, by 49 deep, 3 stories high. It has
also a yellow-fever hospital, 136 by 28 feet, with wings, 37 by
28 feet, 2 stories high; and a small-pox hospital, 80 by 27
feet, 2 stories high; and other buildings, with 30 acres of land
attached; the whole enclosed by a substantial brick wall.
Tompkinsville, p-v., capital of Monroe co., Ky., 153 s. s. w.
Frankfort, 648 W. Situated on a branch of Big Barren r., and
contains a court house, jail, and 183 inhabitants.
Tom's Brook, p-o., Shenandoah co., Va., 156 N. n. w. Richmond,
Tom's Creek, p-o., Surry co., N. C., 139 w. n. w. Raleigh, 332
Tom's Creek, p-o., Franklin co., Ga.
Toms, r., N. J., rises by several branches in Monmouth co., and
flows into Barnegat bay.
Tom's River, p-v., Dover t., Monmouth co., N. J., 33 s. e.
Trenton, 199 W. Situated on both sides of Tom's r., 6 ms. from
its entrance into Barnegat bay. A bridge across the r., 200 feet
long, connects the v. It contains 1 Methodist church, 6 stores,
and about 60 dwellings. Small vessels are built here, and more
than $200,000 worth of timber and wood are annually ex-ported.
Tomsville, p-v., Chester co., S. C, 74 n. Columbia, 455 W.
Tonawanda, p-t., Erie co., N. Y., 298 w. Albany, 392 W. The
surface is level, and includes Grand Island in Niagara r.; soil,
fertile. Drained by Tonawanda cr. The v. is situated on the e.
side of Niagara r., at the junction of Tonawanda cr. and the
Erie Canal. From the dam here in the cr. there are outlet locks
to Niagara r. It has a good harbor for steamboats and other
vessels. It contains 1 church, 6 stores, 125 dwellings, and
about 700 inhabitants. It has 11 stores, cap. §16,540; 1
brewery, 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $250,900. 4 sch. 71 scholars.
Tonawanda, cr., N. Y., rises in the s. part of Wyoming co., and
flowing n. to Batavia, it turns to the n. w. and w., dividing
Erie and Niagara counties, and flows into Niagara r. at
Tonawanda v. For 12 ms. it constitutes a part of the Erie Canal.
Tonnedagana, County, Mich. Situated in the n.
w. part of the peninsula, and contains about 150 sq. ms. Bounded
n. by the straits of Mackinaw, and w. by Lake Michigan. Drained
by small streams flowing into the lake. It is unorganized.
Toolsborough, p-o., Louisa co., Iowa.
Topsfield, p-t., Washington co., Me., 235 n. e. Augusta, 821 W.
A considerable lake, the s. source of Mattawamkeag r., lies on
its n. border. Incorporated in 1838. It has 1 sch. 40 scholars.
Topsfield, p-t., Essex co., Mass., 25 n. by e. Boston, 465 W.
The surface is moderately uneven; soil, fertile, particularly on
the streams. Watered by Ipswich r. The v. contains an academy, 1
Congregational church, and some handsome dwellings. Boots and
shoes are extensively manufactured. First settled in 1639;
incorporated in 1,650. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap.
$6,400; 2 grist m. Cap. in manufac. §23,500. 1 acad. 104
students, 4 sch. 411 scholars. Pop. 1,059.
Topsham, p-t., capital, with Wiscasset and Warren, of Lincoln
co., Me., 29 s. by w. Augusta, 571 W. Bounded s. and e. by
Androscoggin r., which affords great water power, and furnishes
extensive facilities for navigation and ship building. Lumber is
largely exported. Incorporated in 1764. It contains a
courthouse. It lies opposite to Brunswick, with which it is
connected by a substantial bridge. It has 9 stores, cap.
$23,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $116,000. 12 sch. 642 scholars. Pop. 1,883.
Topsham, p-t.. Orange co., Vt., 23 s. e. Montpelier, 525 W. The
surface is uneven and stony; soil, adapted to grain and to
grazing. Watered by head branches of Wait's r. It has a town
house, occupied also as a church by several denominations.
Chartered in 1761; first settled in 1781; organized in 1790. It
has 2 stores, cap. $8,000; 2 fulling m., 3 tanneries. 3 grist
m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $88,100. 18 sch. 650 scholars.
Torbit's Store, p-o., Chester dist., S. C., 65 N. Columbia, 453
Toronto, p-o., Vermilion co., Ia., 81 w. Indianapolis, 652 W.
Torringford, p-v., Torrington t., Litchfield co., Ct., 24 w. by
n. Hartford, 335 W. Situated in the E. part of the t., and
contains a Congregational church.
Torrington, p-t., Litchfield co., Ct., 28 w. by n. Hartford, 335
W. The surface is uneven; soil, adapted to grazing. Drained by
Naugatuck r. and its branches. It contains 5 churches, 3
Congregational, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist. In its s. part is
the flourishing manufacturing v. of Wolcottville, which contains
1 Congregational church, and academy, 3 stories, of brick, used
also as a church by several denominations, 4 stores, a large
woolen fac, and about 40 dwellings. There are in the t. 3
stores, cap. $12,000; 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 8 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $152,500. 14 sch. 416 scholars. Pop. 1,707.
Tossnot Depot, p-o., Edgecombe co., N. C., 72 e. Raleigh, 259 W.
It is on the Wilmington and Raleigh railroad.
Tottens Wells, p-o., Obion co., Tenn., 140 w. by n. Nashville,
Toulon, p-v., capital of Stark co., Ill. It obtains a courthouse
and a number of dwellings.
Toulon, p-v., Haywood co., Tenn., 167 w. s. w. Nashville, 850 W.
Towamensing, t., Montgomery co., Pa., 20 Philadelphia, 9
Norristown. The surface is level; soil, red shale. Drained by
Skippack and Towamensing creeks. It contains a church near its
centre. It has 1 store, cap. $1,500; 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $1,820. 4 sch. 153 scholars. Pop. 763.
Towamensing, t., Northampton co., Pa., 87 E. n. e. Harrisburg,
194 W. The surface is a mass of mountains, three fourths of
which is a desert , soil, gravel. Lehigh r., on its w. boundary,
separates it from Mauch Chunk and Lausanne townships. Near its
s. w. boundary is a Lutheran church. It has 6 stores, cap.
$15,500; 3 lumber yards, cap. $6,200; 1 fulling m., 2 furnace. 1
forge, 1 tannery, 5 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $65,000.
5 sch. 140 scholars. Pop. 1,847.
Towanda, p-t., capital of Bradford co., Pa., 134 n. by e.
Harrisburg, 244 W. The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam.
Drained by Sugar cr., flowing into Susquehanna r., which bounds
it on the e. It contains bituminous coal. The b. is situated on
the w. bank of the n. branch of Susquehanna r., and is the
capital of the co. Incorporated in 1823, and contains a court
house, jail: 16 stores, cap. $64,349; 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 1
distillery, 3 printing offices, 3 weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $18,700. 1 acad. 80 students, 1 sch. 63 scholars. Pop.
912. There are in the t., exclusive of the borough, 1 fulling
m., 1 woolen fac, 2 grist m., 1 furnace, 3 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap.
in manufac. $5,100. 4 sch. 227 scholars. Pop. 1,002.
Tower Hill, p-v., S. Kingston t, Washington co., R. I., 37 s.
Providence, 396 W. It contains an Episcopal church.
Towlesville, p-o., Howard t.., Steuben co., N. Y., 227 w. by s.
Albany, 307 W.
Town Creek, p-o., Alleghany co., Md.
Towners, p-o., Patterson t., Putnam co., N. J., 95 s. by E.
Albany, 292 W.
Town Hill, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa.
Town Line, p-o., Lancaster t., Erie co., N. J., 275 w. Albany,
Townsbury, p-o., Warren co., N. J., 65 n w. Trenton, 220 W.
Townsend, p-t., Windham co., Vt., 117 s. Montpelier, 439 W. The
surface is generally uneven, with elevated and steep hills; soil
adapted to grazing, and producing grain, fertile, especially
along the streams. Watered by West r. The principal v. contains
a Congregational and a Baptist church, 3 stores, and about 40
dwellings. The Leland Classical and English school here has a
brick building 54 by 36 feet, and a large boarding house for its
students. There are in the t. 4 stores, cap. $13,500; 1 fulling
m., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,125. 1
acad. 156 students, 9 sch. 430 scholars. Pop. 1,315.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!