Townsend, MA to West Troy, NY
Townsend, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 41 n. w. Boston, 437 W.
The surface is level or undulating; soil, light and indifferent.
Drained by Squanticook r., and its branches, flowing into Nashua
r. The v., on the N. side of Squanticook r., contains 1
Congregational and 1 Unitarian church. There are in the t. 6
stores, capital $23,500; 1 cotton fac. 256 sp., 1 furnace, 2
tanneries, 4 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,000. 1 acad.
70 students, 11 sch. 655 scholars. Pop. 1,892.
Townsend, p-o., Dix t., Chemung co., N. Y., 194 w. s. w. Albany,
Townsend. p-t., Sandusky co., O., 102 n. Columbus, 417 W. It has
4 sch. 147 scholars. Pop. 692.
Townsend, t., Huron co., O., 3 e. Norwalk. Drained by branches
of Old Woman's cr., which flows n. into Lake Erie. It has 5 sch.
137 scholars. Pop. 863.
Townsend Harbor, p-v., Townsend t., Middlesex co., Mass., 39 n.
w. Boston, 435 W. Situated in the e. part of the t., and
contains several stores and mills, and a number of dwellings.
Townsendville, p-o., Lodi t., Seneca co., N. York.
Townville, p-o., Anderson dist., S. C, 154 w. n. w. Columbia,
Towsontown, p-v., Baltimore co., Md., 37 n. Annapolis, 47 W. It
contains about 20 dwellings.
Tracey's Landing, p-o., Anne Arundel co., Md., 24 n. Annapolis,
Tranquility, p-o., Granville co., N. C., 29 n. Raleigh, 276 W.
Transylvania, p-v., Sugar Creek t., Greene co., O., 63 w. s. w.
Columbus, 461 W. Situated on Little Miami r., and was laid out
Trap Hills, p-o., Wilkes co., N. C., 173 w. Raleigh, 380 W.
Trappe, p-v., Upper Providence t., Montgomery co., Pa., 81 e.
Harrisburg, 164 W. It contains 1 church, common to Lutherans and
German Reformed, 2 stores, and about 20 dwellings.
Trappe, p-v., Talbot co., Md., 54 e. s. e. Annapolis, 94 W.
Travelers Repose, p-o., Pocahontas co., Va., 177 w. n. w.
Richmond, 204 W.
Travelers Rest, p-o., Greenville dist., S. C, 117 n. w.
Columbia, 512 W.
Travelers Rest, p-v., Dooly co., Ga., 87 s. s. w. Milledgeville,
Travelers Rest, p-o., Shelby co., Ky., 53 w. N. w. Frankfort,
Traylorsville, p-o., Henry co., Va., 200 w. s. w. Richmond, 275
W. It has 1 store, and about 30 inhabitants.
Treat's Mills, p-o., Penobscot co., Me., 107 Augusta, 700 W.
Tredypin, t., Chester co., Pa., 17 n. w. Philadelphia. The
surface is a gentle declivity; soil, calcareous loam. Watered by
Valley cr. It contains 2 churches, 1 acad. 9 students, 8 sch.
396 scholars. Pop. 1,715.
Tremainville, p-o., Lucas co., O., 137 N. n. w. Columbus, 467 W.
Tremont, p-o., Clarke co., O., 50 w. Columbus, 443 W.
Tremont, p-v., capital of Tazewell co., Ill 57 n. Springfield,
771 W. Situated on a pleasant prairie, and laid out in 1835. It
contains a court house, jail, 3 churches, occupied by several
denominations, 11 stores and groceries, 60 dwellings, and about
Tremont, t., Buchanan co., Mo. Situated 1 m. e. of Platte r. It
has 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 539.
Trenton, t., Hancock co., Me. It has 1 tannery, 2 grist m. Cap.
in manufac. $1,400. 10 sch. 496 scholars. Pop. 1,062.
Trenton, p-t., Oneida co., N. V., 12 n. Utica, 96 w. n. w.
Albany, 401 W. The surface is hilly; soil, clay loam, and
fertile. Drained by Nine Mile and West Canada creeks, on the
latter of which, in the e. part of the t., are Trenton Falls,
which are the admiration of travelers. It has 10 stores, cap.
$100,500; 3 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1 furnace, 3 tanneries, 1
distillery, 4 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $37,350. 1
acad. 160 students, 23 sch. 951 scholars. Pop. 3,178.
Trenton, City, Mercer co., N. J., and capital of the state, is
situated on the e. side of the Delaware, opposite the falls, and
is in 40° 13' n. hit and 75° 48' w. Ion. from Greenwich, and 2°
16' e. Ion. from W. It is 10 miles s. w. from Princeton; 26 s.
w. from New Brunswick; 30 n. e. from Philadelphia; 60 s. w. from
New York; 166 from W. The population in 1810, was 3,003; in
1820, 3,942; in 1830, 3,925; in 1840, 4,035. Of these, 103 were
employed in commerce: 571 in manufactures and trades; 41 in the
learned professions. The city is at the head of steamboat and
sloop navigation. It is regularly laid out, and has many good
houses, stores, and other buildings. The villages of Mill Hill,
Bloomsbury and Lamberton, combined in the borough of South
Trenton, extending a mile and a half down the Delaware, are
suburbs of the city, and in a general description, should be
considered as be-longing to it. In the city proper, there are a
state house, 100 feet by 60, built of stone and stuccoed in
imitation of granite; it is beautifully situated on the bank of
the Delaware, and commanding a fine view of the river, and the
surrounding scenery; a house for the residence of the governor
of the state; and 3 fire-proof offices, 2 banks, a public
library, established in 1750 a lyceum, 7 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1 Episcopal, 2 Friends, 1
Methodist, and 1 African Methodist; and in South Trenton, a
court house, state prison, 4 churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Reformed
Baptist, 1 Methodist and 1 Roman Catholic, and about 2,000
inhabitants. There were in 1840, 50 retail stores, cap.
$196,300; 4 lumber yards, cap. $49,000; 3 tanneries, 1 brewery,
1 pottery; 3 paper fac. cap. $30,000; 1 rope walk, 2 flouring
m., 2 grist m., 3 saw m., 3 printing offices, 2 binderies, 2
weekly and 1 semi-weekly newspaper. Total cap. in manufac.
$247,800. 4 acad. 104 students, 10 sch. 314 scholars.
At the foot of the falls or rapids a beautiful covered bridge
crosses the Delaware, 1,100 feet long, resting on five arches,
supported on stone piers. The Delaware and Raritan canal,
forming a sloop navigation from Trenton to Brunswick, passes
through the city, and is here entered by a feeder taken from the
Delaware, 23 miles above the city. The canal crosses the
Assanpink creek e. of the town in a fine stone aqueduct. Above
the falls the Delaware is navigable for large boats as far as
Easton, which adds much to the commercial advantages of Trenton.
The New Jersey railroad passes through the place. A company has
been chartered, with a capital of $200,000, for the purpose of
taking the water from the river by means of a dam and raceway,
and carrying it along and below the city, with outlets for
mills, which will create a very extensive water power for
manufacturing purposes. The Assunpink creek also, which enters
the Delaware below the city, furnishes some water power.
This town was first settled about the year 1720. It is memorable
for the "Battle of Trenton," December 25th, 1776, when 1,000
Hessians were captured by the Americans under General
Washington. That was a gloomy period of the revolutionary war,
and this event contributed greatly to revive the hopes of the
people. Trenton was incorporated as a city in 1792.
Trenton, p-v., capital of Jones co., N. C, 21 w. by s. Newbern,
129 s. e. Raleigh, 359 W. Situated on the s. w. side of Trent
r., a branch of Neuse r., and contains a court house, jail, and
about 100 inhabitants.
Trenton, p-v., capital of Dade co., Ga. Situated 1 m. w. of
Lookout cr., and 14 s. Tennessee r., and contains a court house,
jail, and several dwellings.
Trenton, p-v., Jackson co., Ala., 177 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 704 W.
Trenton, p-v., capital of Gibson co., Tenn., 131 w. by s.
Nashville, 814 W. Situated on the s. side of the n. fork of
Forked Deer r., and contains a court house, jail, 2 churches, 10
stores, and about 700 inhabitants.
Trenton, p-v., Todd co., Ky., 197 s. w. Frankfort, 721 W.
Trenton, p-v., Madison t., Butler co., O., 94 w. s. w. Columbus,
484 W. It contains 151 in-habitants.
Trenton, t., Delaware co., O. It was formerly called Sunbury. It
has 8 sch. 207 scholars. Pop. 1,188.
Trenton, p-v., Knox co., Ill., 105 n. n. w. Springfield, 819.
Trenton, p-v., Henry co., Iowa.
Trenton, p-v., capital of Grundy co., Mo. Situated on the e.
side of the e. fork of Grand r., and contains a court house,
jail, and several dwellings.
Trenton Falls, p-v., Trenton t., Oneida co., N. Y., 93 n. w. by
w. Albany, 403 W. Situated at Trenton falls, on West Canada cr.,
22 miles above its junction with the Mohawk r. Here are 6
separate falls. The first, called the Upper, 20 feet
perpendicular; the 2d, the Cascades, 18 feet; the 3d, the Mill
dam, 14 feet; the 4th, the High falls, which have 3 separate
cascades, of 48, 11, and 37 feet; the fifth, Sherman's, 35 feet;
6th, Conrad's, where is a mill dam. The whole descent of the
stream from the top of the Upper fall to the foot of Conrad's
fall is 312 feet, and the distance is about 2 ms. The ravine
through which the creek passes is often 100 feet deep, with
banks of stone almost perpendicular, and presents scenery wildly
picturesque and beautiful, and when the water is high, of great
Trenton Works, p-o., Trenton t., Delaware co., O., 29 n.
Columbus, 391 W.
Trevillin's Depot, Louisa co., Va., 65 n. w. Richmond, 107 W.
Trescot, t., Washington co., Me. Bounded n. and n. w. by
Cobscook bay, and s. e. by the Atlantic. It has good harbors on
branches of Cobscook bay, and is well situated for navigation
and the fisheries. Incorporated in 1827. It has 2 stores, cap.
$1,500; 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,833. 8 sch.
282 scholars. Pop. 793.
Trexlertown, p-v., Macungy t., Lehigh co., Pa., 79 e. n. E.
Harrisburg, 172 W. It contains a Lutheran church, a store, and
12 or 15 dwellings.
Triadelphia, p-o., Ohio co., Va., 343 n. w Richmond, 256 W.
Triadelphia, p-v., Montgomery co., Md., 50 w. N. w. Annapolis,
29 W. Situated on Patuxent r., contains a cotton fac, and is
surrounded by a beautiful country.
Triana, p-v., Madison co., Ala., 15 s. w. Huntsville, 142 n. n.
e. Tuscaloosa, 723 W. Situated on the n. side of Tennessee r.,
at the mouth of Indian cr.
Triangle, p-t., Broome co., N. Y., 126 w. s. w. Albany, 317 W.
The surface is hilly; soil, adapted to grazing. Drained by
Ostelic and Toughnioga rivers, which here unite. It has 4
stores, cap. $15,000; 2 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 5
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,350. 13 sch. 371 scholars. Pop.
Trice's Store, p-o., Orange co., N. C, 35 n. w. Raleigh, 293 W.
Trigg, County, Ky. Situated in the s., toward
the w. part of the state, and contains 510 sq. ms. Tennessee r.
bounds it on the w. Cumberland river passes through it. Drained
by Little r. and its branches, flowing into Cumberland r.
Capital, Cadiz. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,993, sheep
8,134, swine 30,115; wheat 37,172 bushels produced, rye 4,975,
Indian corn 499,255, oats 93,270, potatoes 9,387, tobacco
1,879,537 pounds, cotton 21,361, sugar 4,235; 13 stores, cap.
$59,600; 4 tanneries, 7 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$74,100. 11 sch. 265 scholars. Pop. whites 5,614, slaves 2,052,
free col'd 50; total 7,716.
Trimble, County, Ky. Situated in the n. part of
the state, and contains 150 sq. ms. Bounded n. and w. by Ohio r.
Drained by Little Kentucky r., and small streams flowing into
the Ohio r. Capital, Bedford. There were in 1840, neat cattle
4,837, sheep 6,572, swine 12,054; wheat 27,571 bush, prod., Ind.
corn 177,920, oats 30.557, potatoes 6,691, tobacco 385,140
pounds; 7 stores, cap. $23,300; 3 tanneries, 3 distilleries, 2
flouring m., 10 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $58,860. 8
sch. 205 scholars. Pop. whites 3,787, slaves 673, free col'd 20;
Trimble, p-t., Athens co., O., 71 s. e. Colum-bus, 354 W.
Drained by Sunday cr., a branch of Hockhocking r. It has 1 grist
m. Pop. 762.
Trimbles Iron Works, p-o., Greenup co., Ky., 143 e. by n.
Frankfort, 436 W.
Trires Hill, p-v., Amsterdam t., Montgomery co., N. Y., 37 n. w.
Albany, 407 W. It contains 1 church, 2 stores, and about 20
Triplet, p-o., Fleming co., Ky., 97 e. by n. Frankfort, 475 W.
Trivoli, p-o., Peoria co., Ill., 86 n. Springfield, 802 W.
Trollinger's Bridge, p-o., Orange co., N. C, 56 w. n. w.
Raleigh, 290 W.
Troublesome, p-o., Rockingham co., N. C, 104 n. w. Raleigh, 281
W. Situated on Troublesome cr., where are iron works.
Trough Creek, p-o., Union t., Huntingdon co., Pa., 93 w.
Harrisburg, 137 W. The creek is formed by a n. and s. branch,
which unite in the middle of the t., and forcing a passage
through Terrace mountain, it enters the Raystown branch of
Juniata r. The creek gives name to the post-office.
Troup, County, Ga. Situated in the w. part of
the state, and contains 430 square miles. Drained by
Chattahoochee r. and several small branches, the principal of
which is Yellow Jacket creek. Capital, La Grange. There were in
1840, neat cattle 13,730, sheep 6,525, swine 30,996; wheat
68,525 bush, prod., rye 2,857, Ind. corn 469,635, barley 1,363,
oats 35,655, potatoes 23,369, tobacco 1,746 pounds, cotton
2,926,042; 47 stores, cap. $184,370; 5 tanneries, 11
distilleries, 19 flouring m., 25 grist m., 15 saw ra., 1
printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $54,616. 5
acad. 318 students, 20 sch. 520 scholars. Pop. whites 8,682,
slaves 7,023, free col'd28; total, 15,733.
Troupsburg, p-t., Steuben co., N. Y., 246 w. by s. Albany, 282
W. The surface is undulating; soil, clay, and gravelly loam,
adapted to grass. Drained by Cowanesque cr. It has 2 stores,
cap. $1,500; 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $600. 10 sch. 275
scholars. Pop. 1,171.
Troupsville, p-v., capital of Lowndes co., Ga., 271 s.
Milledgeville, 886 W. Situated on the e. side of Withlacoochee
r. It contains a court house, jail, and about 200 inhabitants.
Trout Run, p-o., Jackson t., Lycoming co., Pa., 108 n.
Harrisburg, 218 W.
Troy, p-t., Waldo co., Me., 39 n. e. Augusta, 634 W. The surface
is undulating; soil, fer-tile, adapted to grain. Drained by
branches of Sebasticook r., flowing into and through a large
pond on its w. border. Incorporated in 1812; received its
present name in 1827. It has 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist
m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,675. 13 sch. 609 scholars. Pop.
Troy, p-t., Cheshire co., N. H., 57 s. w. Concord, 432 W.
Drained by branches of Ashuelot r. It has 2 stores, cap.
$10,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 5
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $25,900. 1 acad. 35 students, 6 sch. 255
scholars. Pop. 683.
Troy, p-t., Orleans co., Vt., 53 n. by e. Montpelier, 569 W. The
surface is generally level; soil, a strong loam, with fine
intervals along the streams. Watered by Missisque r. and its
tributaries, which afford good water power. The Missisque has
here a fall of 70 feet, above which a rock projects 120 feet in
perpendicular height, presenting an imposing spectacle.
Chartered in 1792; first settled in 1800. Iron ore is found. It
has 4 stores, cap. $11,500; 1 fulling m., 1 furnace, 1 forge, 2
tanneries, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $14,350. 8 sch.
313 scholars. Pop. 856.
Troy, t., Crawford co., Pa. It has 1 store, 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $8,000. Pop. 554.
Troy, City, port of entry, and capital of Rensselaer co., N. Y.
It is pleasantly situated on the e. side of Hudson r., 6 n.
Albany, 151 n. N. York, 376 W. It is in 42° 44' n. lat., 73° 40'
w. Ion., 3° 15' e. Ion. from W. Pop. 1810, 3,8C5; 1820, 5,264;
1830, 11,405; 1840, 19,334: of these 796 were employed in
commerce, 2,279 in manufactures and trades, 208 navigating the
ocean, rivers, &c, 218 in the learned professions. Its limits
extend about 3 miles along the river, and its breadth is H
miles. The plat includes an alluvial flat, somewhat raised above
the level of the river, and bordered on the e. by hills of
considerable elevation, from which descend two considerable
streams, denominated Poesten Kill, and Wyant's Kill, which have
romantic cataracts and cascades, and afford extensive water
power for mills and machinery. The city is laid out with great
regularity. The main business street, called River-street,
follows the course of the river and is curved, but the other
streets are straight and cross each other at right angles. There
are 15 streets running n. and s., numbers of which fall
successively into River-street; these are crossed by 19 others
running e. and w. The streets are generally 60 feet wide, well
paved and have good sidewalks, and are generally ornamented by
trees and well lighted. The houses are mostly built of brick,
and with great neatness and taste, and a number of the public
and private buildings are elegant. The court house is a large
marble building with a fine Grecian front of the Doric order.
There is a brick jail, and a county poorhouse with a farm of 200
acres. The Rensselaer Institute is de-signed to give a
scientific and practical education, and the Troy Female
Institute has been very celebrated. There are also several
oilier schools of a high order. There is a Lyceum of Natural
History, with a valuable library, and a cabinet of minerals and
natural history; a Young Men's Association, with a large
library, cabinet, and reading room. There are in the city 2
excellent market houses. Some of the churches are elegant
buildings; one of them, an Episcopal, is a fine specimen of the
Gothic architecture. There are 18 churches, 7 Presbyterian, 3
Episcopal, 2 Baptist, 2 Methodist, 1 Roman Catholic, 1
Universalist, 1 Friends Meeting house, and 1 African. There are
6 banks, with an aggregate capital of $1,568,000; and 2
Troy is well situated for commerce. Being at the head of
tidewater on the Hudson, sloops and steamboats come to its
wharves. Sixty sloops, 3 large and 2 smaller steamboats, 5 steam
tow-boats, and 22 barges are engaged in the trade between this
city and New York. Troy has a rich and extensive back country to
the n. and n. e., with which it is connected by fine roads, and
it also participates in the advantages of the Eric and the
Champlain canals. There were in 1840, 44 commercial and 13
commission houses engaged in foreign trade, with a cap. of
$2,274,621; 270 retail stores, cap. $944,963; 8 lumber yards,
cap. $206,000; 4 furnaces, 8 forges, cap. $279,000; machinery
manufactured, value $17,000; hardware and cutlery, $925,400; 3
fulling m., 1 woolen fac, cap. $50,000; 7 cotton fac. 35,500
sp., cap. $352,150; 7 tanneries, cap. $91,000; 1 distillery, 3
breweries, cap. $110,000; manufactures of leather, cap.
$489,525; 1 pottery, 1 rope-walk, 13 flouring m., 2 saw m., 3
paper fac, 4 printing offices, 2 binderies, 2 daily, 3 weekly, 1
semi-weekly newspaper, and 1 periodical; 41 brick and stone, and
21 wooden houses were built, and cost $190,430. Cap. in manufac.
$2,423,135. 11 acad. 446 students, 40 sch. 1,261 scholars.
The water power of Troy is great. It is derived not only from
the streams which flow from the hills on the e., but a dam with
a lock across the Hudson, is not only valuable for navigation,
but renders most of the water of the river available for
manufacturing purposes. The city is abundantly supplied with
pure and wholesome water from a reservoir in the n. part of
city, sup-plied from a creek, and is conveyed in iron pipes
through the city, supplying not only families, but fountains and
hydrants, from which the water can be thrown, by its pressure
alone, over the highest houses. A railroad connects the city
with Ballston Spa, where it joins the Schenectady railroad to
Saratoga. Troy was incorporated as a city in 1816. In 1820 a
disastrous fire swept over and destroyed the richest and most
important part of the city.
West Troy, Watervliet t., on the w. side of the Hudson r.,
though in a different county is properly a suburb of Troy, with
which it is connected by a bridge and two ferries. This growing
village was incorporated in 1836, and contains 800 dwelling
houses, and 5,000 inhabitants. It has 8 churches; the Watervliet
bank, with a capital of $150,000; and an extensive United States
Arsenal. In the n. part of the village, the s. branch of the
Mohawk unites with the Hudson, and here is a lateral canal, by
which the Erie Canal enters the river; and here is a second
lateral canal a mile below. The waters of this s. lateral canal
pass through the grounds of the Arsenal, comprising about 100
acres, enclosed on 3 sides by an iron fence, and in the rear by
a stone wall, containing a large number of buildings; and an
extensive water power is here afforded by the waste water of the
canal, for the use of the establishment. About 200 officers,
soldiers and workmen, are attached to the Arsenal, and
manufacture arms, and munitions of war, to the amount of
$100,000 annually. The value on hand, Jan. 1st, 1841, was
$1,662,230. In the yards of the Arsenal are found cannon which
were captured at Saratoga and at Yorktown, and others cast in
New York and Philadelphia during the revolution.
There were in 1840, in the t. of Watervliet, 94 stores, cap.
$100,853; 4 lumber yards, cap. $73,000; value of machinery
produced, $33,000; 3 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, cap. $95,000; 2
cotton fac. 5,160 sp., cap. $225,000; 1 brewery, cap. $100,000;
1 paper fac, 2 rope walks, 2 flouring m., 10 grist m., 12 saw
m., 1 printing office, and 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$723,115. 13 sch. 1,600 scholars. Pop. 10,141.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!