Troy, PA to Tunnell, PA
Troy, p-t., Bradford co., Pa., 149 n. by e. Harrisburg, 256 W.
The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Drained by branches
of Sugar r., flowing e. to the Susquehanna r. It has 4 stores,
cap. $14,000; 1 fulling m., 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 1
distillery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 1 grist m., 5
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,950. 1 acad. 20 students, 1 sch. 474
scholars. Pop. 1,664.
Troy, p-v., capital of Pike co., Ala., 174 s. e. Tuscaloosa, 863
W. It contains a court house, jail, and about 100 inhabitants.
Troy, p-v., Yalabusha co., Miss., 119 n. n. e. Jackson, 964 W.
Troy, p-v., capital of Obion co., Tenn., 164 w. by n. Nashville,
846 W. Situated on a branch of Obion r. It contains a court
house, jail, and about 250 inhabitants.
Troy, p-t., capital of Miami co., O., 63 w. by n. Columbus, 460
W. The v. is situated on the w. bank of Great Miami r. It
contains a neat brick court house, a jail, 14 stores, a printing
office, and about 200 dwellings. There are in the t. 2 sch. 70
scholars. Pop. 1,351.
Troy, t., Athens co., O. It has 8 stores, cap. $4,500; 1
tannery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 7 sch. 141
scholars. Pop. 1,056.
Troy, t., Delaware co., O. It has 6 sch. 127 scholars. Pop. 838.
Troy, t., Geauga co., O. It has 4 sch. 130 scholars. Pop. 1,208.
Troy, t., Lorain co., O. Pop. 2S9.
Troy, t., Richland co., O. Pop. 1,939.
Troy, t., Wood co., O. It has 4 sch. 69 scholars. Pop. 333.
Troy, p-v., capital of Perry co., Ia., 168 s. s. w.
Indianapolis, 687 W. Situated on Ohio r., 1 mile above the mouth
of Anderson's cr. It contains a court house, jail, 1 church,
several stores, and about 200 inhabitants.
Troy, t., Fountain co., Ia. It has 30 sch. 407 scholars. Pop.
Troy, p-t., Oakland co., Mich., 22 n. w. Detroit, 546 W. Watered
by head branches of Red river. It has 3 stores, cap. $8,000.
Capital in manufactures $850. 9 sch. 632 scholars. Pop. 1,482.
Troy, p-v., Milwaukie co., Wis., 73 e. Madison, 806 W.
Troy, t., Walworth co., Wis. It has 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop.
Troy, p-v., capital of Lincoln co., Mo., 129 e. n. e. Jefferson
City, 860 W. Formerly called Wood's Fort. It is situated on the
s. w. side of Cuivre r., and contains a court house, jail, and
about 300 inhabitants.
Troy Furnace, p-o., Orleans co., Vt.
Troy Grove, p-o., La Salle co., Ill. Situated on Little
Vermilion r., 12 ms. above its mouth.
Troy Mill's, p-o., Fulton co., Ill., 80 n. w. Springfield, 826
Troy's Store, p-o., Randolph co., N. C., 67 w. Raleigh, 318 W.
Truago, , p-v., Monguagon t., Wayne co., Mich., 32 s. Detroit,
511 W. Situated on the w. bank of Detroit r., opposite Grass
Island. It contains a wharf, a store, and about 10 dwellings.
Truxville, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa., 129 x. f.. Harrisburg, 236 W.
Trumansburg, p-v., Ulysses t., Tompkins co.. N. Y., 173 w. by s.
Albany, 306 W. It contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Baptist, and I Methodist, a female seminary, 7 stores, 2 grist
m., 1 saw m., 2 carriage fac, 1 furnace, 1 carding and cloth
dressing fac, 125 dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants.
Trumbaursville, p-v., Bucks co., Pa., 95 e. Harrisburg, 174 W.
Trumbull, County, O. Situated toward tho n. e.
part of the state, and contains 875 sq. miles. Drained by
Mahoning r., and Musketoe, Shenango, Meander, and Mill crs. and
by head branches of Grand r. The surface is undulating; soil,
fertile, adapted to grazing. It exports cattle, butter, cheese,
and grain. It is the oldest county on the Connecticut Reserve,
and was named in honor of Gov. Trumbull of Connecticut. The
early records of the counties on the Reserve are copied from the
records of this county. The Pennsylvania and Ohio canal, here
called the Mahoning canal, passes through the county. Capital,
Warren. There were in 1840, neat cattle 48,835, sheep 77,486,
swine 41,970; wheat 241,563 bush prod., rye 24,858, Ind. corn
388,421, buckwheat 104,557, oats 221,262, potatoes 254,284,
sugar 208,359 pounds; 8 commission houses, capita! $10,100; 45
stores, cap. $231,600; 8 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 23 tanneries,
4 distilleries, 1 brewery, 44 grist m., 120 saw m., 3 oil m., 2
printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $13,200.
1 acad. 179 students, 236 sch. 13,572 scholars. Pop. 38,107.
Trumbull, p-t, Fairfield co., Ct., 5 n. Bridgeport, 59 s. w.
Hartford, 288 W. The surface is uneven; soil, gravelly loam, and
generally fertile. Incorporated from Stratford in 1798. Drained
by Pequannock r., which enters Bridgeport harbor. It contains 4
churches, 2 Episcopal, 1 Congregational, and 1 Methodist. It has
3 stores, cap. $5,000; 1 woolen fac, 3 grist m., 4 saw in.
Capital in manufac. $2,000. 5 sch. 142 scholar. Pop. 1,204.
Trumbull, p-t., Ashtabula co., O., 186 n. e. Columbus, 337 W.
Organized in 1825. It has 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,150. 3 sch. 100 scholars. Pop. 433.
Trumbull Long Hill, p-v., Trumbull t. Fairfield co., Ct., 62 s.
w. Hartford, 291 W. It is the first land seen from the ocean in
Trundle's Cross Roads, p-o., Sevier co., Tenn., 198 e. by s.
Nashville, 509 W.
Truro, p-t., Barnstable co., Mass., 112 s. E. Boston, 513 W. By
water it is only 65 ms. from Boston. It occupies the n. part of
Cape Cod it is bounded n. e. by the Atlantic, and has Cape Cod
bay on the s. e. The soil is light and sandy, with a scanty
growth of vegetation. The inhabitants derive their chief
subsistence, and a very good, one, from the fisheries. It has 4
churches, 2 Congregational, 1 Unitarian, and 1 Methodist. Salt
is extensively manufactured. First settled in 1700, and
incorporated in 1709. It has an inlet from Cape Cod bay, called
Pamet r., 3 miles long, and from a half to three fourths of a
mile wide. It has 16 stores, cap. $15,700; 4 grist m. Cap. in
manufac. $4,600. 1 acad. 52 students, 12 sch. 567 scholars. Pop.
Truro, t., Franklin co., O. The soil is generally fertile.
Watered by Gahannah and Blacklick crs., which afford water
power. First settled from Truro in Nova Scotia. It has 1 school
25 scholars. Pop. 1,103.
Truss, p-o., Jefferson co., Ala., 71 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 747 W.
Truxton, p-t., Cortland co., N. Y., 12 n. e. Cortland, 130 w.
Albany, 327 W. The surface is undulating; soil, calcareous
gravel and argillaceous loam. Drained by Toughnioga r. The v.
contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist church, 4 stores, 1 grist
m., 1 saw m., 2 sash fac, 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 50 dwellings,
and about 300 in-habitants. There are in the t. 5 stores,
capital $15,400; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 furnace, 3
tanneries, 5 grist m., 25 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufactures
$39,550. 31 sch. 1,205 scholars. Pop. 3,658.
Tryon, p-o., Rutherford co., N. C., 237 w. s. w. Raleigh, 479 W.
Tuckahoe, p-o., Jones co., N. C., 109 s. e. Raleigh, 339 W.
Tuckahoe, p-o., Jefferson co., Tenn., 203 e. Nashville, 493 W.
Tuckahoe Bridge, p-v., Cape May co., N. J., 76 s. Trenton, 186
W. The v. is situated on both sides of Tuckahoe cr., connected
by a bridge, 10 ms. from the sea. It contains several stores,
and about 20 dwellings. It exports wood and lumber.
Tuckasaga, p-v., Mecklenburg co., N. C, 169 w. s. w. Raleigh,
Tuckaseeking, p-o., Effingham co., Ga., 142 e. s. e.
Milledgeville, 664 W.
Tucker's Cabin, p-o., Henry co., Ga., 79 w. N. w. Milledgeville,
Tuckerton, p-v., Little Egg Harbor t., Burlington co., N. J., 69
s. Trenton, 192 W. Situated on Shord's Mill Branch cr., 6 ms.
from Little Egg Harbor bay, from which wood-scows and flats
ascend to the v. It contains 3 churches, 2 Methodist and 1
Friends, 5 stores, and about 40 dwellings. Timber and wood are
exported, and salt is manufactured. It is resorted to in the
summer for sea bathing.
Tuftonborough, p-t., Carroll co., N. H., 44 e. by n. Concord,
525 W. Winnipiseogee lakes bounds it on the s. w., and presents
a fine water prospect. It has several ponds, one of which, in
the n. e. part, discharges its waters into Ossipee Lake. First
settled in 1780; incorporated in 1795. It has 3 stores, cap.
$5,000; 1 fulling m., 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$8,550. 10 sch. 415 scholars. Pop. 1,281.
Tully, p-t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 10 s. Syracuse, 127 w. by N.
Albany, 328 W. The surface is generally level; soil, clay loam,
well adapted to grazing. Drained by Onondaga creek and
Toughnioga River. The v. contains 1 church, 2 stores, 1 grist
m., 45 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants. The t. has 3
stores, cap. $21,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 3
grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $20,600. 9 sch. 540
scholars. Pop. 1,663.
Tully, p-v., Lewis co., Mo., 136 n. by e. Jefferson City, 905 W.
Tully, t., Marion co., O. It has 5 sch. 190 scholars. Pop. 870.
Tully, t.. Van Wert co., O. Pop. 99.
Tullyton, p-v., Greenville dist., S. C, 107 w. n. w. Columbia,
Tullytown, p-v., Falls t., Bucks co., Pa., 119 E. Harrisburg,
159 W. Situated 4 miles from Bristol, on the road to Trenton,
and contains 1 store, and 6 or 8 dwellings.
Tully Valley, p-o., Tully t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 131 w. by n.
Albany, 332 W.
Tumbling Shoals, p-o., Laurens dist., S. C, 82 w. n. w.
Columbia, 508 W.
Tunbridge, p-t., Orange co., Vt., 32 s. s. e. Montpelier, 495 W.
The surface is uneven and broken; soil, a deep, rich loam, with
some intervales along the streams. Watered by the First Branch
of White r., which affords water power. It contains 5 churches,
belonging to the Congregationalists, Freewill Baptists,
Methodists, and Universalists. The v. at the centre, on the
First Branch of White r., contains 1 church, 2 stores, 1 grist
m., 1 saw m., 1 fulling m., and 1 trip-hammer works. There is a
sulphur spring in the w. part of the t. There are in the t. 2
tanneries, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,700. 1 acad.
40 students, 20 sch. 640 scholars. Pop. 1,811.
Tulpehocken, t., Berks co., Pa. The surface is diversified;
soil, calcareous loam and gravel, and very fertile. Drained by
Northkill and Little Northkill creeks, tributaries of
Tulpehocken cr. The Union canal passes along its s. border. It
contains a church, common to Presbyterians and Lutherans. It has
2 stores, cap. $6,000; 1 lumber yard, cap. $4,000; 1 fulling m.,
1 woolen fac, 2 forges, 4 tanneries, 5 distilleries, 5 grist m.,
6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,220. Pop. 1,581.
Tunkhannock, r., Pa., rises in Jackson t, Susquehanna co., at
the foot of Ararat Mountain, and flows s. w. through Wyoming co.
into Susquehanna r., on the n. side of Tunkhannock Mountain. It
is about 30 ms. long.
Tunkhannock, p-t., capital of Wyoming co., Pa., 154 n. n. e.
Harrisburg, 259 W. Bounded s. w. by Susquehanna r. The surface
is uneven; soil, fertile along the streams. Drained by
Tunkhannock and Mishoppen creeks. The v. is situated at the
mouth of Tunkhannock cr., and contains a court house, jail,
several stores and mechanic shops, and a number of dwellings.
The t. furnishes a large amount of lumber. Tunkhannock Mountain
crosses it diagonally, and near the s. boundary has an elevation
of 640 feet. There are in the t. 12 stores, cap. $63,150; 1
falling m., 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 3 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $24,560. 8 sch. 288 scholars. Pop. 1,933.
Tunica, County, Miss. Situated in the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. Mississippi r.
bounds it on the w. Cold water r. passes through its n. e. part,
by branches of which, and by small streams flowing into
Mississippi r., it is drained. It contains several small lakes.
Capital, Peyton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 1,868, sheep
77, swine 2,089; wheat 436 bush, produced, Indian corn 24,210,
potatoes 1,146, cotton 222 pounds; 3 commission houses, cap.
$31,000; 2 breweries, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$4,900. 1 school 62 scholars. Pop. whites 566, slaves 251, free
col'd4; total, 821.
Tunnell, p-o., Alleghany co., Md., 153 w. n. w. Annapolis, 112
Tunnell, p-o., Indiana co., Pa., 180 w. n. w. Harrisburg, 208 W.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!