Tunnell Hill, GA to Tywapity, MO
Tunnell Hill, p-o., Murray co., Ga., 200 n. w. Milledgeville,
Tunnell's Store, p-o., Sussex co., Del., 74 s. Dover, 161 W.
Tunungwant, p-o., McKean co., Pa., 214 n. w. Harrisburg, 297 W.
Tunungwant Mills, p-o., Cattaraugus co., N. Y.
Tupper's Lake, N. Y. Situated in the s. w. part of Franklin co.,
is 6 miles long and 2 wide, abounding with excellent trout and
Tupper's Plains, p-o., Orange t., Meigs co., O., 103 s. e.
Columbus, 3:26 W.
Turbut, t., Northumberland co., Pa., 14 n. Sunbury. The surface
is level; soil, calcareous loam and alluvion. Drained by
Delaware, Warrior, Muddy, and Limestone runs, flowing into the
w. branch of Susquehanna r., which bounds it on the w. It has 5
stores, cap. $20,500; 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 3 grist m. Cap.
in manufac. $21,550. 8 sen. 415 scholars. Pop. 3,872.
Turbutville, p-o., Turbut t., Northumberland co., Pa., 78 n.
Harrisburg, 188 W.
Turin, p-t., Lewis co., N. Y., 126 n. w. Albany, 435 W. The
surface is rolling; soil, a fertile loam. Drained by small
tributaries of Black r. The v. is situated on a branch of Black
r., and contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, 6
stores, 2 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 40
dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants. There are in the t. 5
stores, cap. $19,080; 2 tanneries, 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 9
saw m , 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $10,400. 16 sch. 571 scholars.
Turkey, p-o., Monmouth co., N. J., 39 e. Trenton, 205 W.
Turkey Cove, p-o., Lee co., Va.
Turkey Cove, p-o., Burke co., N. C., 230 w. Raleigh, 460 W.
Turkey Creek, p-o., Buncombe co., N. C., 14 w. Ashville, 271 w.
Raleigh, 501 W.
Turkey Foot, p-t., Somerset co., Pa., 15 s. w. Bedford, 160 w.
by s. Harrisburg, 178 W. The surface is hilly; soil, a fertile
loam. Laurel mountain is on the w. and Negro mountain on the e.
boundary. Drained by Castleman's r. and Laurel Hill cr.,
branches of Youghiogheny r. The v. is near the s. boundary, w.
of Castle-man's r. There are in the t. 1 fulling m., 2
tanneries, 5 distilleries, 5 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,600. 2 sch. 46 scholars. Pop. 1,422.
Turkey Foot, p-o., Henry co., O., 162 n. w. Columbus, 493 W.
Turkey Town, p-v., Cherokee co., Ala., 128 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 721
W. Situated a little w. of Coosa r., and contains about 75
Turman's Creek, p-o., Sullivan co., Ia., 95 s. w. Indianapolis,
666 W. The cr. rises in the n. border of Sullivan co., and flows
s. w. into Wa-bash r.
Turman's Ferry, p-o., Lawrence co., Ky., 164 e. Frankfort, 424
Turnbull, p-v., Monroe co., Ala., 127 s. Tuscaloosa, 919 W.
Situated s. of Flat cr.
Turner, p-t., Oxford co., Me., 30 w. s. w. Augusta, 586 W.
Androscoggin r. flows on its e. border. Drained by a branch of
Androscoggin r. The surface is pleasantly diversified; soil,
generally fertile. Incorporated in 1786. It has 10 stores, cap.
$7,500; 2 lumber yards, cap. $900; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 5
grist m., 8 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $21,655. 1 acad.
80 students, 17 sch. 1,067 scholars. Pop. 2,479.
Turner's Hill, p-o., Overton co., Tenn., 109 e. by n. Nashville,
Turner's Mills, p-o., Orange co., N. C.
Turner's Store, p-o., Caroline co., Va., 37 n. Richmond, 88 W.
Turner's Store, p-o., Iredell co., N. C., 156 w. Raleigh, 393 W.
Turnersville, p-v., Robertson co., Tenn., 36 n. n. w. Nashville,
718 W. Situated on a branch of the Sulphur fork of Red r.
Turtle Creek, p-o., Alleghany co., Pa., 187 w. by n. Harrisburg,
213 W. The creek, from which it is named, rises in Salem t.,
Westmoreland co., and flows w. 17 ms. into Monongahela r., in
Alleghany co. It is navigable for canoes 10 ms.
Turtle Creek, t., Shelby co., O. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,200; 1
saw m., 4 sch. 84 scholars. Pop. 746.
Turtle Creek, t., Warren co., O. It has 15 sch. 1,090 scholars.
Tuscahoma, p-o., Washington co., Ala., 112 s. s. w. Tuscaloosa,
Tuscahoma, p-v., Tallahatchie co., Miss., 117 n. Jackson, 986 W.
Situated on the s. side of Yallabusha r., and contains about 75
Tuscaloosa, r., Ala., called also the Black Warrior r., which
answers to the Choctaw Indian name, Tuscaloosa. It rises from 2
branches Locust fork, the e. branch, and Mulberry r., the w.
branch. The former rises in Blount co., 20 miles s. of Tennessee
r. Mulberry r., which, though shorter, is larger, rises in
Lawrence and Walker counties. They unite on the boundary of
Jefferson and Tuscaloosa counties, and become the Black Warrior
r., which, flowing by Tuscaloosa, unites with the Tombigbee r.
in the s. part of Greene co. It is navigable for steamboats to
Tuscaloosa, 400 ms. above Mobile, by the course of the r.
Tuscaloosa, County, Ala. Situated a little n.
w. of the centre of the state, and contains 1,350 sq. miles.
Drained by Black Warrior r. and its branches, and by Sipsey r.,
a branch of Tombigbee r. The soil is very fertile. Capital,
Tuscaloosa. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,163, sheep 3,159,
swine 21,160; wheat 17,958 bushels produced, rye 1,352, Indian
corn 348,222, oats 16,105, potatoes 16,863, cotton 2,576,002
pounds; 31 stores, cap. $8,000; 4 tanneries, 1 distillery. 5
potteries, 1 flouring m., 24 grist m., 20 saw m., 1oil m. Cap.
in manufac. $13,500. 4 acad. 319 students. Pop. whites 9,943,
slaves 6,554, free col'd 86; total, 16,583.
Tuscaloosa, city, capital of Tuscaloosa co., Ala., and of the
state, 160 s. s. w. Huntsville, 355 n. Mobile, by course of
river, 818 W. Situated on the s. e. side of Black Warrior or
Tuscaloosa r., at the lower falls, on an elevated plain, at the
head of steamboat navigation on the r., 256 m n. Mobile by land.
It contains a handsome state house, a court house, jail, a U. S.
land office, 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist,
and 1 Methodist, a Masonic hall, Washington and La Fayette
academy, an Atheneum for young ladies, a lyceum for boys, the
Alabama Institute, a number of stores, and 1,949 inhabitants.
The streets are spacious, crossing each other at right angles,
and the state house stands in the centre of a public square.
About 1 mile E. stand the halls of the University of Alabama,
which was founded in 1828, has a president and 7 professors, or
other instructors, 63 alumni, 4 of whom have been ministers of
the gospel, 60 students, and 6,000 vols, in its libraries. The
commencement is on the Wednesday after the first Monday in
Tuscarawas, r., O., is the main branch of Muskingum r. above
Coshocton v. It rises in the s. w. part of Portage co., and
flows s. and s. w. until it unites with the Walhonding at
Coshocton v. to form Muskingum r. It is about 80 ms. long above
the junction, and is navigable for boats of 7 or 8 tons, in high
water, to New Philadelphia.
Tuscarawas, County, O. Situated centrally in
the e. part of the state, and contains 655 sq. ms. Drained by
Tuscarawas river, and Sandy, Conoton, Stillwater, and Sugar
creeks. Settled in 1803, or 1804, principally by Germans from w.
Pennsylvania. The soil is fertile. Capital, New Philadelphia.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 17,448, sheep 32,725, swine
26,535; wheat 332,028 bush, produced, rye 29,120, Indian corn
265,973, buckwheat 36,278, barley 1,349, oats 283,285, potatoes
108,296, tobacco 15,000 pounds, sugar 100,409; 22 commission
houses, capital $56,400; 57 stores, cap. $105,450; 2 fulling m.,
17 tanneries, 6 distilleries, 2 potteries, 7 flouring m., 30
grist m., 71 saw m., 2 oil m., 1 printing office. Cap. in
manufac. $175,250. 143 sch. 9,866 scholars. Pop. whites 25,560,
free colored 71; total, 25,631.
Tuscarawas, p-v., Warwick t., Tuscarawas co., O., 108 E.
Columbus, 315 W. Situated on Tuscarawas r. and the Ohio canal,
and contains several stores and about 100 inhabitants.
Tuscarawas, t., Coshocton co., O. It has 9 stores, cap. $12,700;
1 furnace, 1 flouring m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $83,300.
Tuscarawas, t., Stark co., O. It has 4 sch. 95 scholars. Pop.
Tuscarora, cr., N. Y., rises in Steuben co. and flows e. into
Tuscarora, p-o., Sparta t, Livingston co., N. Y., 249 w. Albany,
Tuscarora, v., Lewiston t., Niagara co., N. Y., 3 e. Lewiston.
It is an Indian v., and contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist
church, and about 300 inhabitants, and consists of the remnant
of a powerful tribe who emigrated about 70 years since from N.
C. and joined the Five Nations, well known in the early history
of the country, constituting a sixth tribe, afterward
denominated the Six Nations. An English school is attached to
Tuscarora, mts., Schuylkill co., Pa., lie on the line between
Rush and West Penn townships, and constitute the w. continuation
of Mauch Chunk mt. They abound in anthracite coal, many veins of
which have been recently opened.
Tuscarora, cr., Pa., commences in Tell t., Huntingdon co., and
flows about 35 ms. n. e., to its entrance into Juniata r.
Tuscarora, t, Bradford co., Pa. Watered by Tuscarora creek. It
has 2 stores, cap. $6,000; 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,900. 3
sch. 112 scholars. Pop. 1,020.
Tuscarora, t., Juniata co., Pa. Population 1,018.
Tuscarora, p-v., Rush t., Shuylkill co., Pa., 16 n. e.
Orwigsburg, 75 n. e. Harrisburg, 185 W. Situated on the w. side
of Tuscarora mt., at the head of the main branch of Juniata r.
It has 12 or 15 dwellings, most of them small, inhabited chiefly
Tuscarora, p-o., Lee co., Iowa.
Tuscarora Valley, p-o., Juniata co., Pa., 55 n. w. Harrisburg,
Tuscola, County, Mich. Situated in the e. part
of the peninsula, and contains 800 sq. ms. Bounded n. w. by
Saginaw bay of Lake Huron. Drained by Cass r. and its branches.
It is unorganized.
Tuscola, p-t., Livingston co., Mich. It has 2 sch. 44 scholars.
Tuscola, t., Saginaw co., Mich. It has 1 saw m. Pop. 55.
Tuscumbia, p-v., Franklin co., Ala., 66 w. Huntsville, 129 n. by
w. Tuscaloosa, 782 W. It contains 3 churches- 1 Presbyterian, 1
Methodist, and 1 Campbellite, 2 male and 2 female seminaries, 16
stores of different kinds, 1 iron foundry connected with the
railroad, 200 dwellings, and about 2,000 inhabitants. A railroad
extends from this place to Decatur, on Tennessee r., for the
purpose of passing the Muscle Shoals in that r. A most
extraordinary spring here flows from a large fissure in a
limestone rock, which discharges 20,000 cubic feet of water per
minute, and it flows a considerable stream, 2½ ms. to Tennessee
r. The inhabitants are supplied with water from this spring, and
the depth of the stream is 8 feet where it issues from the rock.
Tuscumbia, p-v., capital of Miller co., Mo., 35 s. w. Jefferson
City, 971 W. Situated on the n. w. side of Osage r., and
contains a court house, jail, and about 50 inhabitants.
Tuskegee, p-v., capital of Macon co., Ala., 152 e. s. e.
Tuscaloosa, 799 W. Situated on a branch of Tallapoosa r., and
contains a court house, jail, and about 500 inhabitants.
Tuthill, p-v., Shawangunk t., Ulster co., N. Y., 81 s. s. w.
Albany, 305 W. It contains 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1 fulling m.,
and a number of dwellings.
Twelve Mile, p-o., Pickens dist., S. C., 135 w. n. w. Columbia,
Twelve Mile, t., Madison co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 24 scholars.
Twelve Pole, p-o., Cabell co., Va., 368 w. by n. Richmond, 406
Twenty Mile Stand, p-o., Deerfield t., Warren co., O., 10 s. w.
Lebanon, 100 w. s. w. Columbus, 473 W.
Twiggs, County, Ga. Situated near the centre of
the state, and contains 410 sq. ms. Ockmulgee r. bounds it on
the s. w., by small branches of which it is drained. Capital,
Marion. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,401, sheep 2,013,
swine 22,236; wheat 14,743 bush, produced, rye 2,519, Ind. corn
329,528, oats 14,024, potatoes 16,325, cotton 3,257,359 lbs.: 1
commercial house, cap. $150,000; 10 stores, cap. $25,000; 9
grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $25,750; 1 college 29
students, 3 acad. 219 students. Pop. whites 4,214, slaves 4,165,
free col'd 43; total, 8,422.
Twinsburg. p-t., Summit co., O., 142 n. e. Columbus, 300 W.
Named from twin brothers, who first settled here in 1827. The
soil is fertile. Drained by Tinker's cr., which affords water
power, and flows into Cuyahoga r. The v. contains 2 churches, 2
stores, and several mills and mechanic shops. There are in the
t. 1 acad. 70 students, 8 sch. 205 scholars. Pop. 1,039.
Twin, t., Darke co., O. Situated in the s. w. corner of the co.
Twin, t., Ross co., O. Pop. 2,195.
Twin, t., Preble co., O. Pop. 1,675.
Twitchell's Mills, p-o., Pope co., Ill., 223 s. s. e.
Springfield, 791 W. Situated on Big cr.
Two Taverns, p-o., Adams co., Pa., 40 s. w. Harrisburg, 80 W.
Twymans Store, p-o., Spottsylvania co., Va., 81 n. Richmond, 93
Tye River Warehouse, p-o., Nelson co., Va., 100 w. Richmond, 166
Tyler, County, Va. Situated in the n. w. part
of the state, and contains 855 sq. ms. Ohio r. bounds it on the
n. w. Drained by Fishing and Middle Island creeks, which flow w.
into Ohio r. The surface is very uneven and rough; soil, strong
and productive. Capital, Middlebourn. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 6,265, sheep 11,647, swine 12,854; wheat 52,730 bush,
produced, rye 1,375, Ind. corn 223,079, oats 57,535, potatoes
34,540, tobacco 1,116 pounds, sugar 46,995; 13 stores, cap.
$29,100; 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 pottery, 1 flouring m., 14
grist m., 18 saw m. Cap. in manufac. 841,530. 13 sch. 416
scholars. Pop. whites 6,854, slaves 85, free col'd 5; total,
Tyler, p-o., Winnebago co., Ill.
Tyler, p-o., Jefferson co., O.
Tylersville, p-o., Warren co., Ill.
Tylersville, p-o., Caddo par., La.
Tyler, p-o., Eaton co., Mich.
Tymochtee, cr., O., a considerable w. branch falling into
Sandusky r., 8 ms. below Upper Sandusky.
Tymochtee, p-t., Crawford co., O., 73 n. Columbus, 430 W.
Watered by tributaries of Sandusky r. It has 8 sch. 642
scholars. Pop. 1,625.
Tyngsborough, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 8 n. w. Lowell, 28 n.
w. Boston, 440 W. Merrimac r. flows through it from n. w. to s.
e. The v. is situated on the s. w. side of Merrimac r., and
contains a Congregational church and grammar school.
Incorporated in 1789. Granite is quarried on the banks of the
r., and exported from this t. and Chelmsford adjoining. It has 1
store, cap. $2,000; 2 grist m., 2 saw m., 7 sch. 277 scholars.
Tyre, p-t., Seneca co., N. Y., 171 w. Albany, 347 W. The surface
is level; soil, sandy and calcareous loam. Drained by Clyde r.,
flowing into Seneca r. It has 1 store, cap. $2,500; 1 grist m.,
3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,000. 6 sch. 391 scholars. Pop.
Tyree Springs, p-o., Sumner co., Tenn., 20 n. e. Nashville, 699
Tyringham, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 130 w. Boston, 369 W.
Watered by branches of Housatonic r., one of which flows from a
pond in its s. e. part. It contains a Congregational, a Baptist,
and a Methodist church, and a society of Shakers. It has 4
stores, cap. §9,400; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 paper fac, 2
grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $53,750. 15 sch. 407
scholars. Pop. 1,477.
Tyringham South, p-o., Tyringham t., Berkshire co., Mass., 125
w. Boston, 364 W.
Tyrone, p-t., Steuben co., N. Y., 202 w. by s. Albany, 310 W.
The surface is hilly; soil, clay and calcareous loam, adapted to
grain. Drained by Mud cr. The v. contains 1 Presbyterian and 1
Methodist church, 6 stores, 1 grist m., 1 tannery, 50 dwellings,
and about 250 inhabitants. There are in the t. 6 stores, cap.
$21,000; 2 fulling ra., 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $5,300. 12 sch. 680 scholars. Pop. 2,122.
Tyrone, t., Fayette co., Pa. It has 1 store, cap. $6,000; 1
flouring m., 2 grist m., 5 saw m.,2 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $
14,550. 7 sch. 270 scholars. Pop. 1,189.
Tyrone, t., Adams co., Pa., 10 n. e. Gettysburg. The surface is
level; soil, red shale and gravel. Bermudian cr. runs on its e.,
and Conewago cr. on its s. border. It contains Heidelburg v.
There are in the t. 2 stores, cap. $2,200; 2 tanneries, 1
flouring m., 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,950. 6
sch. 210 scholars. Pop. 756.
Tyrone, t., Perry co., Pa. The surface is mountainous; soil, in
the valleys, calcareous loam, with gravel and slate on the
hills. Drained by Sherman's cr. and its branches. It has 9
stores, cap. $33,800; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 furnaces, 5
tanneries, 3 distilleries, 3 potteries, 3 flouring m., 4 grist
m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $44,716. 13 sch. 640 scholars.
Tyrone, t, Huntington co., Pa. It has 4 stores, cap. $20,000; 1
fulling m., 2 forges, 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 4 grist m., 6
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,795. 6 sch. 331 scholars. Pop.
Tyrone, p-t., Livingston co., Mich., 61 w. n. w. Detroit, 583 W.
Drained by branches of Shiawassee r. It has 3 sch. 87 scholars.
Tyrone, p-v., Wilkes co., Ga., 69 n. e. Milledgeville, 579 W.
Tyson Furnace, p-o., Windsor co., Vt.
Tyson's Store, p-o., Moore co., N.C., 56 s. w. Raleigh, 344 W.
Tyrrel, County, N. C. Situated in the e. part
of the state, and contains 740 sq. ms. Bounded on the n. by
Albemarle sound, and e. by the Atlantic, along the coast of
which are Roanoke and several other islands belonging to it. The
surface is level and low, and in some parts liable to
submersion. Drained by Alligator r. and its branches, which
enters Albemarle Sound by a broad estuary. Capital, Columbia.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,133, sheep 1,947, swine 8,540;
wheat 8,083 bush, produced, Ind. corn 108,641, oats 2,517,
potatoes 21,704, rice 20,335 pounds, cotton 22,963; 22 stores,
cap. $42,250; 69 tanneries, 16 distilleries, 6 grist m., 1 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $15,400. Pop. whites 3,160, slaves 1,411,
free col'd 86; total, 4,675.
Tywapity, t., Scott co., Mo. It has 3 sch. 71 scholars. Pop.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!