Valatie, NY to Vermilionville, IL
Valatie, p-v., Kinderhook t, Columbia co., N. Y., 20 s. Albany,
352 W. Situated at the junction of Valatie and Kinderhook
creeks, 2 ms. e. Kinderhook v. It contains 3 churches, 12
stores, 4 cotton fac, employing 400 persons, 1 machine shop, 1
grist m., 1 saw m., 1 fulling m., 1 plaster m., 200 dwellings,
and about 1,600 in-habitants.
Valcour, Isl., N. Y. Situated in Lake Champlain, a few ms. s. of
Pittsburgh, near the New York shore, and is 2½ ms. long, and
half a mile wide.
Vallene, p-v., Orange co., Ia., 104 s. by w. Indianapolis, 635
Valley, p-o., Mifflin co., Pa., 66 n. w. Harrisburg, 153 W.
Valley Creek, p-o., Dallas co., Ala., 80 s. by e. Tuscaloosa,
Valley, t., Columbia co., Pa. It has 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 1
grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,940; 3 sch. 93 scholars.
Valley Forge, p-v., Schuylkill t., Chester co., Pa., 20 n. w.
Philadelphia, 31 e. by s. Harrisburg, 159 W. Situated at the
junction of Valley cr. with Schuylkill r. It contains 2 stores,
1 cotton fac. 2,000 sp., 1 rolling m., 1 gun fac, 1 flouring m.,
30 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Valley Head, p-o., De Kalb co., Ala., 161 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 656
Vallonia, p-v., Jackson co., Ia., 3 s. w. Brownstown, 75 s.
Indianapolis, 600 W. It contains about 50 inhabitants.
Vallonia Springs, p-o., Colesville t., Broome co., N. Y., 114 w.
s. w. Albany, 310 W.
Valparaiso, p-v., capital of Porter co., Ia., 138 N. n. w.
Indianapolis, 682 W. Situated on Salt cr., which flows into Lake
Michigan. It contains a court house, jail, and about 200
Valverde, p-o., Macon co., Ala., 143 s. e. Tuscaloosa, 834 W.
Van, p-o., Jay co., Ia., 94 n. e. Indianapolis, 517 W.
Van Buren, County, Mich. Situated toward the s. w. part of the
state, and contains 633 sq. ms. Drained by Pawpaw r. and its
branches, s. branch of Black r., Dowagiake, and Brush crs. The
streams afford good water power, and Paw-paw r. is beatable 70
ms. from its mouth. The surface is level; soil, fertile.
Capital, Pawpaw. There were in 1840, neat cattle 2,125, sheep
538, swine 3,422; wheat 15,640 bush, produced, Ind. com 28,587,
oats 16,176, potatoes 20,832, sugar 25,365 pounds; 4 stores,
cap. $19,200; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$36,900. 23 sch. 516 scholars. Pop. 1,910.
Van Buren, County, Iowa. Situated in the s. w. part of the
state, and contains 504 sq. ms. Drained by Des Moines r. and its
branches. The soil is fertile. Copper, iron, and tin ore and a
fine marble are found. Capital, Keosauqua. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 5,364, sheep 2,667, swine 15,821; wheat 8,757 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 151,481, buckwheat 1,046, oats 12,174,
potatoes 18,150, sugar 6,869 pounds; 16 stores, cap. $21,200; 1
tannery, 2 potteries, 10 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$31,295. 6 sch. 123 scholars. Pop. 6,146.
Van Buren, County, Mo. Situated in the w. part of the state, and
contains 648 square miles. Drained by Grand r. and Big creek.
The surface is undulating, and two thirds of it is prairie;
soil, fertile. Capital, Harrisonville. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 1,726, sheep 3,332, swine 19,573; wheat 1 ,644 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 222,541, oats 11,000, potatoes 9,112,
tobacco 8,875 pounds, cotton 2,590; 11 stores, cap. $39,800; 4
tanneries, 1 flouring m., 6 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$8,310. 13 sch. 298 scholars. Pop. 4,693.
Van Buren, County. Ark. Situated a little n. of the centre of
the state, and contains 1,350 sq. ms. Drained by Little Red r.
and its branches. Capital, Clinton. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 2,868, sheep 520, swine 9,213; wheat 1,545 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 79,800, oats 3,257, potatoes 2,615, tobacco
1,220 pounds, cotton 8,051; 5 stores, cap. $4,104; 3
distilleries, 7 grist m., 4 sch. 95 scholars. Pop. whites 1,459,
slaves 59 total, 1,518.
Van Buren, p-t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 12 n. w. Syracuse, 141 w.
by n. Albany, 358 W. The surface is rolling; soil, clay and
sandy loam. Drained by Camp brook, flowing into Seneca r., which
bounds it on the n. It has 8 stores, cap. $30,600; 1 fulling m.,
1 tannery, 1 distillery, 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 8 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $15,305. 1 acad. 61 students, 9 sch. 436
scholars. Pop. 3,021.
Van Buren, p-o., Washington co., Pa., 216 w Harrisburg, 243 W.
Van Buren, p-t., Hancock co., O., 96 n. n. w. Columbus, 452 W.
The v. contains 74 inhabitants. There are in the t. 1 grist m.,
1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,000. 3 sch. 127 scholars Pop. 402.
Van Buren, t., Darke co., O. It has 2 sch. 60 scholars. Pop.
Van Buren, t., Shelby co., O. Pop. 596.
Van Buren, p-o., Callaway co., Ky., 264 w. s. w. Frankfort, 791
Van Buren, t., Wayne co., Mich. Watered by Huron r. It has 6
sch. 114 scholars. Pop. 940.
Van Boren, t., Brown co., Ia. Pop. 417.
Van Buren, t., La Grange co., Ia. It has 2 distilleries, 1 grist
m:, 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,375. 2 sch. 75 scholars. Pop.
Van Buren, p-t., Clay co., Ia., 61 w. s. w. Indianapolis, 632 W.
It has 1 distillery. Cap. in manufac. $900. 1 sch. 18 scholars.
Van Buren, p-v., Hardiman co., Tenn., 172 w. s. w. Nashville,
Van Buren, p-v., De Kalb co., Ala., 135 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 682 W.
Van Buren, p-v., Itawamba co., Miss. Situated on the w. side of
Tombigbee r., and contains about 100 inhabitants.
Van Buren, p-v., capital of Ripley co., Mo Situated on the w.
side of Current r. It contains a court house, 1 store, and a few
Van Buren, p-v., Van Buren co., Iowa.
Van Buren, p-v., capital of Crawford co., Ark. Situated on the
n. side of Arkansas r., and contains a court house, jail,
several stores, and about 500 inhabitants.
Van Buren, t., Carroll co., Ark. It has 1 grist m.
Van Buren Centre, p-o., Van Buren t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 144
w. by n. Albany, 351 W.
Van Buren Harbor, p-v., Pomfret t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 5 s.
e. Dunkirk, 334 w. by s. Albany, 354 W. Situated on the s. side
of Lake Erie, where is a convenient steamboat landing, and a few
dwellings. It is extensively and regularly laid out.
Van Burenville, p-o., Wallkill t., Orange co., N. Y., 107 s. s.
w. Albany, 278 W.
Vanceborough, p-v., Winnebago co., Ill.
Vanceburg, p-v., Lewis co., Ky., 110 e. n. e. Frankfort, 466 W.
Situated on the s. w. side of Ohio r., at the junction of Salt
cr. It contains about 50 inhabitants.
Vances Ferry, p-o., Orangeburg dist., S. C., 97 s. Columbia, 535
Vandalia, p-v., capital of Fayette co., Ill., and formerly
capital of the state, is situated on the w. bank of Kaskaskia r.
It is regularly laid nit, with streets crossing each other at
right angle. There is a public square in the centre, and the
streets are 80 feet wide. It contains a court house, jail, a U.
S. land office, 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist, 11
stores, 2 printing offices, each issuing a weekly newspaper, 1
steam saw m., 1 water saw m., and about 800 inhabitants. The
national road extends to this place.
Vanderburg, County, la. Situated in the s. w. part of the state,
and contains 225 sq. ms. The surface is generally hilly, with an
inferior sod, but near the Ohio r. the soil is very fertile.
Ohio r. bounds it on the s., affording great commercial
facilities. Drained by Big Pigeon, Blue Grass, Little, and
Locust creeks. Capital, Evansville. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 3,021, sheep 713, swine 7,330; wheat 4,225 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 105,729, oats 4,315, potatoes 3 511, sugar
335 pounds; 1 commission house, cap. $5,000; 49 stores, cap.
$49,954; 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 1 brewery, 2 flouring m., 7
saw m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $57,180. 7 sch. 212 scholars. Pop. 6,250.
Vandermark, p-o., Alfred t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 258 w. by s.
Albany, 328 W.
Van Deusenville, p-v., Berkshire co., Mass., 137 w. Boston, 358
Van Ettenville, p-o., Cayuta t., Chemung co., N. Y., 183 w. by
s. Albany, 284 W.
Van Hill, p-o., Hawkins co., Tenn., 261 e. Nashville, 451 W.
Van Hooks Store, p-o., Person co., N. C., 52 n. n. w. Raleigh,
Van Hornsville, p-o., Starks t, Herkimer co., N. Y., 64 n. w.
Albany, 382 W.
Vannoy's Mill, p-o., Pike co., Mo.
Vanns Valley, p-o., Floyd co., Ga., 173 n. w. by w.
Milledgeville, 684 W.
Van Rensselaer, t., Ottowa co., O. It comprehends the Bass
islands in Lake Erie, one of which has the fine harbor of Put in
Bay. Pop. 27.
Van Sickle's Store, p-o., Hunterdon co., N. J., 38 n. n. w.
Trenton, 198 W. Situated on the s. e. foot of Musconetcong
Van Wert, County, O. Situated in the w. toward the n. part of
the state, and contains 432 sq. ms. The surface is level; soil,
varies from rich bottom to a light sandy loam, and is
productive. It is mostly covered with a dense forest. Drained by
St. Mary's and Little Auglaize rivers. The Miami canal passes
near its e. border, with-out entering it. Capital, Van Wert.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 1,724, sheep 335, swine 3,800;
wheat 3,090 bush, produced, Ind. corn 33,306, oats 3,267,
potatoes 5,671, sugar 3,070 pounds; 4 stores, cap. $4,100; 2
grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,100. Pop. 1,577.
Van Wert, p-v., capital of Paulding co., Ga., 138 w. n. w.
Milledgeville, 681 W. It contains a court house, jail, an
academy, 1 church, and about 125 inhabitants.
Van Wert, p-v., capital of Van Wert co., O., 136 n. w. by w.
Columbus, 510 W. Situated on a branch of Little Auglaize r., and
contains a court house, jail, and a number of dwellings.
Varrenes, p-v., Anderson dist., S. C, 122 w. n. w. Columbia, 549
Varick, p-t., Seneca co., N. Y., 8 s. Waterloo, 186 w. Albany,
332 W. It extends from Cayuga Lake on the e., to Seneca Lake on
the w., and the surface is moderately elevated in the middle,
and declines to each lake. The soil is fertile, adapted to
grain. It has 3 stores, cap. $11,000; 11 sch. 615 scholars. Pop.
Variety Mills, p-o., Nelson co., Va., 103 w. by n. Richmond, 165
W. It contains 1 store, 1 grist m., 1 flouring m., 1 tannery, 4
dwellings, and 25 inhabitants.
Varna, p-v., Dryden t., Tompkins co., N. Y., 161 w. by s.
Albany, 299 W. Situated on Fall cr., and contains 1 grist m., 2
saw m., 1 sash fac, 30 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.;
Varysburg, p-v., Sheldon t., Wyoming co., N. Y., 264 w. Albany,
369 W. Situated on Tonawanda cr., and contains 1 Baptist and 1
Methodist church, 4 stores, 1 woolen fac, 1 grist in., 2 saw m.,
1 tannery, 30 dwellings, and about 225 inhabitants.
Vassalborough, p-t., Kennebec co., Me., 11 n. by e. Augusta, 606
W. Bounded w. by Kennebec r. The surface is various; soil,
fertile. The outlets of 2 large ponds, on its e. border, afford
water power. There are several other ponds in the t. By means of
the dam across Kennebec r. at Augusta, and the lock at that
place, vessels from the ocean come to this place. Incorporated
in 1771. It has 9 stores, cap. $9,200; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen
fac, 6 tanneries, 1 paper factory, 7 grist m., 7 saw m. Capital
in manufac. $51,335. 1 acad. 100 students, 22 sch. 1,101
scholars. Pop. 2,952.
Vauclause, p-o., Wood co., Va.
Vaugine, t., Jefferson co., Ark. It has 7 stores, cap. $49,100;
1 tannery, 1 grist m., 8 saw m. cap. in manufac. $20,100. Pop.
Venice, p-t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 15 s. Auburn, 164 w. Albany,
325 W. The surface is undulating; soil, clay and gravelly loam.
Drained by Salmon cr. It has 6 stores, cap. $34,000; 1 fulling
m., 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,200.
21 sch. 1,089 scholars. Pop. 2,105.
Venice, p-o., Washington co., Pa.
Venice, p-v., Erie co., O., 103 n. Columbus, 417 W. Situated on
the s. side of Sandusky Bay, on Cold cr., which rises in the
centre of Margaretta t., and has its source from springs, some
60 feet below the surface of the earth, affording extensive
water power, not influenced by rain or drought. It contains 3
stores, 3 warehouses, 100 rods of wharf, 1 flouring m. capable
of grinding 1,000 bush, wheat daily, 1 saw m., 1 lath fac, 1
shingle fac, 50 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants.
Venice, t, Seneca co., O. The soil is fertile. It contains
Attica and Caroline villages. It has
5 sch. 255 scholars. Pop. 1,222. Venice, p-o., Caroline co., Va.
Venango, county, Pa. Situated toward the N. w. part of the
state, and contains 1,120 square ms. Drained by Alleghany r. and
its branches, and by Toby's cr. The surface is uneven; soil,
well adapted to grazing. Organized in 1805. Capital, Franklin.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 16,070, sheep 28,775, swine
24,512; wheat 128,486 bush, produced, rye 72,068, Indian corn
59,730, buckwheat 52,114, oats 214,157, potatoes 1 18,719, sugar
17,561 lbs.; 43 stores, cap. $120,000; 7 fulling m., 3 woolen
fac, 16 furnaces, 1 forge, 17 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 3
potteries, 49 grist m., 59 saw m., 2 oil m., 1 printing office,
1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $134,755. 1 acad. 20
students, 35 sch. 949 scholars. Pop. 17,900.
Venango, t., Crawford co., Pa. It has 3 stores, cap. $4,100; 1
tannery, 1 pottery, 1 flouring m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$9,870. Pop. 1,299. Venango, t., Erie co., Pa. It has 1 woolen
fac, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufactures $3,600. 9 sch.
250 scholars. Pop. 812.
Venango, t., Butler co., Pa. It has 1 store, capital $1,600; 1
tannery, 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Capital in manufac. $3,945. 7 sch.
121 scholars Pop. 822.
Verbank, p-o., Union Vale t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 82 s. by e.
Albany, 309 W.
Verdiersville, p-o., Orange co., Va., 88 n. w. Richmond, 82 W.
Verdon, p-o., Hanover co., Va., 28 n. Richmond, 97 W.
Vergennes, city, Addison co., Vt., 66 w. by s. Montpelier, 489
W. This is the only city in the state, and lies at the head of
navigation on Otter Creek r., 7 miles from its mouth. Vessels of
300 tons may come to its wharf, and McDonough's squadron, by
which the victory of Plattsburgh was gained, Sept. 11th, 1814,
was fitted out here. Incorporated as a city in 1788. Otter creek
is here 500 feet wide, and is divided by an island into 2
channels, with a fall of 37 feet, creating probably the best
water power in the state. The iron works here are very
extensive. Ore is obtained from Monk ton, in the vicinity. It
contains 3 churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Episcopal, and 1
Methodist; 13 stores, cap. $110,000; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac,
3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 2 saw m , 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Capital in manufac. $3,800. 3 sch. 230 scholars. Pop.
1,017. It contains many neat dwellings, and has a romantic
Vermilion, bay, La. Situated at the mouth of Vermilion r., and
connected with the Gulf of Mexico by a strait called Grand Pass.
It is connected on the e. with Cote Blanche bay. Vermilion bay
has 10 or 12 feet water, but the bar at its entrance has only 5
Vermilion, river, La., rises in the n. e. part of Lafayette
parish, and flowing s. through its E. part, it enters Vermilion
Vermilion, river, O., rises in the N. part of Richland co., and
flows n. into Lake Erie, 9 ms. E. Huron. The United States
government has improved the harbor at its mouth.
Vermilion, river, Ill., rises in Livingston co., and enters
Illinois r. in La Salle co., at the foot of the rapids. It has
rapids and falls in its lower part, and affords good water
power. Bituminous coal, lime, sand, and freestone, are found on
Vermilion, County, la. Situated in the w. part of the state, is
long and narrow, and contains 2S0 sq. miles. Wabash r. flows on
its E. border. Watered by Vermilion and Little Vermilion rs. and
other small branches of Wabash river. The surface is elevated
and gently rolling; soil, fertile. Capital, Newport. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 7,632, sheep 6,498, swine 23,085; wheat
51,185 bush, produced, Ind. corn 508,297 oats 83,027, potatoes
18,629, rice 29,051 pounds' tobacco 890; 22 stores, cap.
$124,100; 2 tanneries, 5 distilleries, 4 flouring m., 3 grist
m., 6 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $40,825. 13 sch. 426 scholars. Pop 8,274.
Vermilion, county, Ill. Situated in the e. part of the state,
and contains 1,000 sq. ms. The surface is undulating; soil,
fertile. Drained by Big and Little Vermilion rs. and their
branches. Capital, Danville. There were in 1840, neat cattle
13,725, sheep 16,966, swine 35,984; wheat 69,708 bushels
produced, rye 6,392, Indian corn 941,810, potatoes 20,602,
tobacco 5,481 pounds, sugar 101,807; 24 stores, cap. $89,800; 3
tanneries, 3 distilleries, 3 potteries, 4 flouring m., 15 grist
m., 27 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufactures $63,110. 26 sch.
691 scholars. Pop. 9,303.
Vermilion, p-t., Erie co., O., 119 n. Columbus, 389 W. Lake Erie
bounds it on the n., and Vermilion r. flows through its n. e.
part into the lake. It abounds in iron ore, which is
extensively-wrought. It has a v. of the same name at the mouth
of the r. It has 12 sch. 575 scholars. Pop. 1,334.
Vermilion, t, Richland co., O. It contains Haysville v. It has
648 scholars in schools. Pop. 2,402.
Vermilion, t., Vermilion co., Ia. It has 1 distillery. Capital
in manufac. $1,050. 2 sch. 55 scholars. Pop. 1,540.
Vermilionville, p-v., capital of Lafayette par., La. Situated on
the w. side of Vermilion r., 1½ m. from it, at the head of
navigation, on a beautiful plain. It contains a court house,
jail, and 250 inhabitants.
Vermilionville, p-v., La Salle co., Ill. Situated a little n. e.
of Vermilion r. On the r. is abundant water power, and
bituminous coal exists in great quantities in the vicinity.
State of Vermont
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!