Vermont, NY to Virgil, NY
Vermont, p-o., Gerry t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 335 w. by s.
Albany, 325 W.
Vermont, p-v., Fulton co., Ill
Vermont, p-v., Cooper co., Mo.
Vermontville, p-v., Eaton co., Mich. Situated on the n. side of
Thorn Apple r. It consists of a colony of about 40 families of
Vermonters, who have taken up about 10,000 acres of land, and
are making improvements, with a prospect of raising up a
flourishing v. Pop of 182.
Vernal, p-o., Attica t., Wyoming co., N. Y., 252 w. Albany, 370
Vernon, p-t., Windham co., Vt., 128 s. Montpelier, 418 W.
Bounded e. by Connecticut r., by small tributaries of which it
is watered. The surface is mountainous and rough; soil,
generally indifferent, but in some parts fertile. White Lilly, a
pond, covers 100 acres. Slate is found in its w. parts. It was
one of the earliest settled places in the state, and called
Hinsdale, until 1802. It has 1 store, cap. $4,000; 2 grist m., 4
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,200. 8 sch. 231 scholars. Pop. 705.
Vernon, p-t., Tolland co., Ct., 12 e. n. e. Hartford, 348 W. The
surface is uneven; soil, gravelly loam, and moderately fertile.
Watered by Hockanum r., flowing from Snipsick pond at its n. e.
corner, which affords water power. The v. contains 1
Congregational and 1 Baptist church. There are in the t. 4
stores, cap. $15,500; 10 fulling m., 10 woolen fac, 4 cotton
fac. 5,104 sp., 1 tannery, 1 paper fac, 2 grist m., 3 saw m., 2
oil m. Cap. in manufac. $368,165. 8 sch. 322 scholars. Pop.
Vernon, p-t., Oneida co., N. Y., 16 w. Utica, 108 w. n. w.
Albany, 371 W. The surface is undulating; soil, sandy loam and
fertile clay. Drained by Oneida and Skenandoa creeks. The v. was
incorporated in 1827, and contains 3 churches, 1 Baptist, 1
Methodist, and 1 Unitarian, an academy, 4 stores, 1 grist m., 1
saw m., 1 tannery, 100 dwellings, and about 700 inhabitants. In
the vicinity, on Skenandoa cr., is a large glass fac. There are
in the t. 13 stores, cap. $66,500; 3 lulling m., 3 woolen fac, 2
tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 glass houses, 1 printing office, 1
weekly newspaper, 4 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$93,300. 2 acad. 17 schools. Pop. 3,043.
Vernon, p-t., Sussex co., N. J., 92 n. by e. Trenton, 260 W. The
surface is covered with mountains, rising in the e. to the
height of 1,000 feet. Drained by Warwick cr. and its
tributaries, Pacack cr. a branch of Pequannock cr., and small
branches of Wallkill r. The v. is situated in a valley between 2
mountain ridges, and contains 1 store, and 12 or 15 dwellings.
Hamburg v. is in its s. w. angle. There are in the t. 2 stores,
cap. $7,000; 2 forges, 4 distilleries, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap.
in manufac $14,210. 12 sch. 371 scholars. Pop. 2,395.
Vernon, t., Crawford co., Pa. It has 1 fulling m., 1 distillery,
3 grist m., 10 saw m. Cap. in manufac $11,070. Pop. 1,240.
Vernon, p-v., Kent co., Del., 32 s. s. w. Dover, 116 W.
Vernon, p-v., Troup co., Ga., 129 w. Milledgeville, 747 W.
Situated on the w. side of Chattahoochee r. It contains a
Baptist church, an academy, and about 25 dwellings.
Vernon, p-v., Autauga co., Ala., 112 s. e. Tuscaloosa, 852 W.
Situated on the n. side of Alabama r., on the e. side of Swift
cr., at its entrance into the r. It has about 200 inhabitants.
Vernon, p-v., Hickman co., Tenn., 62 s. w. Nashville, 746 W.
Situated on Pine cr., and contains a church and several
Vernon, p-t., Trumbull co., Ohio, 189 n. e. Columbus, 304 W. It
bus 7 sch. 257 scholars. Pop. 789.
Vernon, t., Scioto co., O. Mineral coal and iron ore are
abundant. It has 1 sch. 32 scholars. Pop. 902.
Vernon, t., Clinton co., O. It has 4 stores, cap. $8,500; 2
tanneries, 3 flouring in., 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac
$8,562. 8 sch. 590 scholars. Pop. 1,434.
Vernon, p-v., Allen co., Ky., 53 s. w. Frankfort, 674 W.
Vernon, p-v., capital of Jennings co., Ia., 65 s. e.
Indianapolis, 569 W. Situated on the e. side of Vernon fork of
Muscatatack r. It contains an elegant brick court house, a jail,
clerk's office, with a valuable library, contributed by the
proprietors of the place, 1 church, common to Baptists,
Methodists, and Presbyterians, 2 stores, and about 250
Vernon, t., Hancock co., Ia. Pop. 492.
Vernon, t., Washington co., Ia. It has 6 stores, cap. $9,000; 1
cotton fac, 1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop. 1,936.
Vernon, p-t., Milwaukie co., Wis. It has 1 sch. 17 scholars.
Vernon, p-v., Madison co., Miss. Situated on the s. e. side of
Big Black r. Steamboats ascend to this place a part of the year.
It contains about 200 inhabitants.
Vernon Centre, p-v., Vernon t., Oneida co., N. Y., 105 w. n. w.
Albany, 375 W.
Verona, t., Oneida co., N. Y., 20 w. Utica, 116 w. n. w. Albany.
The surface is level, with some swamps; soil, rich mold, blended
with sand. Oneida Lake lies on its n. w. border. Drained by Wood
cr., which bounds it on the n., receiving small tributaries from
the t. The Erie Canal passes through the t., from which the
Oneida Lake canal here branches off. It has 17 stores, cap.
$26,600; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 4 tanneries, 1 glass fac, 2
grist m., 20 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $73,000. 24 sch. 1,218
scholars. Pop. 4,504.
Verona, p-o., Calhoun co., Mich. Verona, p-v., Boone co., Ky.,
53 n. Frankfort, 516 W.
Verona, p-v., Vanderburg co., Ia., 182 s. w. Indianapolis, 737
Verplank, p-v., Cortland t., Westchester co., N. Y., 4 s.
Peekskill. Situated on the e. side of Hudson r., and has a
convenient steamboat landing. It contains 2 stores, and 15 or 20
Versailles, p-o., Perrysburgh t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 308 w.
by s. Albany, 361 W.
Versailles, t., Alleghany co., Pa., 12 s. e. Pittsburg. The
surface is hilly; soil, loam. Youghiogheny r. runs on its s.
border, and Monongahela r. on is w. boundary. Drained by Turtle
creek and Long run. It contains McKeesport and Perritsport
villages. It has 2 sch. 113 scholars. Pop. 1,456.
Versailles, p-v., Williamson co., Tenn., 38 s. Nashville, 701 W.
Versailles, p-v., capital of Woodford co., Ky., 12 s. s. e.
Frankfort, 534 W. Situated a little s. of the railroad from
Lexington to Frankfort, to which it is connected by a short
branch. It contains a court house, jail, and several stores, and
Versailles, p-v., capital of Ripley co., Ia., 69 s. e.
Indianapolis, 545 W. Situated on the w. side of Laughery cr.,
and contains a court house, jail, and about 400 inhabitants. The
surrounding country is well cultivated.
Versailles, p-v., Brown co., Ill. Situated a little n. of McKees
Versailles, p-v., capital of Morgan co., Mo., 36 w. by s. of
Jefferson City, 1,020 W. It contains a court house, jail, and
about 200 inhabitants.
Vershire, p-t., Orange co., Vt., 31 s. e. Montpelier, 510 W. The
surface is uneven, and in part stony; soil, adapted to grazing.
Watered by Ompompanoosuc r. Chartered in 1781; first settled in
1780. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,100; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1
grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,300. 16 sch. 436
scholars. Pop. 1,198.
Vesper, p-o., Tully t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 135 w. by n.
Albany, 332 W.
Vestal, p-t., Broome co., N. Y., 147 w. s. w. Albany, 289 W. The
surface is ridgy and broken; soil, fertile on the flats,
otherwise heavily timbered. Drained by Choconut cr., and other
streams flowing into Susquehanna r., which bounds it on the n.
The v. contains a few dwellings. It has 1 tannery, 2 grist m.,
21 saw m., 8 sch. 371 scholars. Pop. 1,253.
Vesuvius Furnace, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C., 162 w. Nashville,
Veteran, p-t., Chemung co., N. Y., 11 n. Elmira, 190 w. s. w.
Albany. The surface is hilly; soil, a fertile gravelly and clay
loam. Drained by the inlet of Seneca Lake, which affords good
water power. It has 5 stores, cap. $32,075; 3 tanneries. Cap. in
manufac. $4,000. 7 sch. 408 scholars. Pop. 2,279.
Vevay, p-v., capital of Switzerland co., Ia., 94 s. e.
Indianapolis, 544 W. Situated on the n. e. bank of Ohio r.
Settled by emigrants from Switzerland, and contains a court
house of brick, a jail, 7 stores, a printing office, 200
dwellings, many of them of brick, and about 1,200 inhabitants.
The site is one of the most pleasant on Ohio r. The vine has
been extensively and successfully cultivated in this place and
Vevay, p-t., Ingham co., Mich. The court house of the co. is in
the n. e. part of the t. It has 4 sch. 82 scholars. Pop. 223.
Vicarage, p-o., Randolph co., N. C., 61 w. Raleigh, 347 W.
Vicksburg, city, and capital of Warren co., Miss., 41 w. by n.
Jackson, 1,051 W. Situated on the e. side of Mississippi r., 400
miles above New Orleans, and though of recent origin, it has
become a large and flourishing place. It contains a court house,
jail, 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist, and
1 Roman Catholic, 3 academies, 2 male and 1 female, 50 wholesale
grocery and commission stores, 50 retail drygoods stores, a
printing office, and 3,104 inhabitants. A number of boats are
always lying in the harbor, and a great quantity of cotton is
shipped here. The town is situated on the shelving declivity of
high hills, and the houses are scattered in groups on the
terraces. It is just below the Walnut Hills. The country around
is very fertile. Steamboats regularly ply between this place and
New Orleans. A railroad extends from Vicksburg to Brandon,
Vicksville, p-o., Southampton co., Va., 64 s. by e. Richmond,
Vicksville, p-o., Nash co., N. C.
Victor, p-t., Ontario co., N. Y., 12 n, w. Canandaigua, 203
Albany. The surface is uneven; soil, sandy and clay loam.
Drained by Mud cr. The v. is situated near the line of the
Auburn and Rochester railroad, and contains 3 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, and 1 Universalist, 3 stores, 40
dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants. It has 3 stores, cap.
$15,000; 2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 3
flouring m., 4 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $140,940. 1
acad. 25 students, 12 sch. 671 scholars. Pop. 2,393.
Victoria, p-o., Knox co., Ill.
Victoria, p-v., Bolivar co., Miss., 125 n. Jackson. Situated on
the e. bank of Mississippi r.
Victory, t., Essex co., Vt., 10 n. w. Guildhall. Watered by
Moose r. Chartered in 1781, but has been but little settled. It
has 1 saw m., 2 sch. 30 scholars. Pop. 140.
Victory, p-t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 20 n. Auburn, 169 w. by n.
Albany, 352 W. The surface is undulating; soil, sandy and
gravelly loam. Drained by Sodus cr. The v. contains 2 stores, 40
dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants. There are in the t. 4
stores, cap. $14,200; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 6
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,550. 1 acad. 30 students. 18 sch. 856
scholars. Pop. 2,371.
Vidalia, v., capital of Concordia, par., La. Situated on the w.
side of the Mississippi r., immediately opposite to Natchez. It
contains a court house and a few dwellings, built on a street
parallel with the r.
Vienna, p-t., Kennebec co., Me., 23 n. w Augusta, 618 W. A
branch of Sandy r. bounds it on the w. The soil is fertile,
adapted to grain. Incorporated in 1802. It has 1 saw m., 7 sch.
377 scholars. Pop. 891.
Vienna, p-t., Oneida co., N. Y., 3 n. w. Utica, 125 w. by s.
Albany. The surface is undulating; soil, generally fertile.
Drained by Fish cr., and other streams flowing into Oneida Lake,
which bounds it in part on the s. The v. is situated near the n.
e. corner of Oneida Lake. There are in the t. 7 stores, cap.
$30,000; 1 lumber yard, cap. $14,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen
fac, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $17,950.
22 sch. 822 scholars. Pop. 2,530.
Vienna, v., Phelps t., Ontario co., N. Y. Situated on the outlet
of Canandaigua lake, at the junction of Flint cr., and contains
3 churches, 2 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist, 1 female seminary, 9
stores, 6 flouring m., 4 plaster m., 3 saw m., 2 edge tool fac,
2 clothiers' works, 1 furnace, 2 distilleries, 200 dwellings,
and about 1,400 inhabitants. The Auburn and Rochester railroad
passes through the place.
Vienna, p-v., Dorchester co., Md., 79 s. E. Annapolis. Situated
on the w. side of Nanticoke r., which is navigable to this place
for sea vessels. It contains 1 Episcopal and 1 Methodist church,
and 20 or 30 dwellings. It has considerable navigation, and is a
port of entry. Tonnage 1840, 15,534.
Vienna, p-v., Stokes co., N. C, 123 w. by N. Raleigh, 331 W.
Vienna, p-v., Pickens co., Ala., 50 Tuscaloosa, 868 W. Situated
on the e. side of Tombigbee r., just above the entrance ef
Sipsey r., and contains 1 store and about 150 inhabitants.
Vienna, p-v., capital of Dooly co., Ga., 85 s. s w.
Milledgeville, 742 W. Situated on Indian cr., and contains a
court house, jail, and about 10 dwellings.
Vienna, p-t., Trumbull co., O., 178 n. e. Columbus, 298 W. It
has 12 sch. 640 scholars. Pop. 969.
Vienna, p-v., Macomb co., Mich.
Vienna, t., Genesee co., Mich. Pop. 212.
Vienna, p-v., Scott co., Ia., 85 s. Indianapolis, 585 W. It
contains a store and about 60 in-habitants.
Vienna, p-v., capital of Johnson co., Ill. Situated on the e.
fork of Cash r., and contains a court house, jail, 3 stores, and
about 30 dwellings.
Vienna Cross Roads, p-o., Harmony t, Clarke co., O.
Vigo, County, la. Situated in the w. toward the s. part
of the state, and contains 400 sq. ms. The surface is level or
gently undulating, with a due proportion of forest and prairie;
soil, very fertile. Drained by Wabash r., which is navigable,
and by Spring, Coal, Otter, Lost, Sugar, Clear, and Honey
creeks. The Wabash and Eric canal terminates at Terre Haute.
Capital, Terre Haute. There were in 1840, neat cattle 12,086,
sheep 8,541, swine 31,730; wheat 17,654 bush, produced, Ind.
corn 718,485, buckwheat 2,268, oats 104,683, potatoes 33,706,
sugar 10,117 pounds; 5 commission houses, cap. $42,400; 54
stores, cap. $214,675; 1 furnace, 4 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 1
brewery, 2 flouring m., 9 grist m., 18 saw m., 1 oil m., 2
printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $70,444.
29 sch. 1,307 scholars. Pop. 12,076.
Village Green, p-v., Ashton t., Delaware co., Pa., 89 e.
Harrisburg, 123 W. It contains a Methodist church and 6 or 8
Village Springs, p-o., Blount co., Ala., 81 n. e. Tuscaloosa.
Villanova, p-t., Chautauque co., N. Y., 22 n. e. Mayville, 323
w. by s. Albany, 346 W. The surface is hilly and broken; soil,
clay and loam, well adapted to grass. Drained by Connewango cr.
and its tributaries. It has 2 stores, capital $2,000; 2 fulling
m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $8,253. 13
sch. 585 scholars. Pop. 1,655.
Villa Rica, p-o., Carroll co., Ga., 178 n. w. by w.
Vinalhaven, p-t., Waldo co., Me., 12 s. e. Camden. The t.
consists of the Fox Islands, at the mouth of Penobscot bay.
There are 3 principal islands, besides several small islands
near them. They contain good harbors, and are well situated for
navigation, and particularly the fisheries. The soil is fertile,
adapted to grain and to grazing. It has 7 stores, cap. $16,000;
1 tannery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,800. 13 sch.
766 scholars. Pop. 1,950.
Vincennes, p-v., capital of Knox co., Ia., 118 Indianapolis, 688
W. Situated on the e. bank of Wabash r., 100 ms. above its
entrance into the Ohio, with a fine prairie of several thousand
acres, on the n. e. and s. It is the oldest town in the state,
having been established by the French in 1730 as a trading post.
It contains a brick court house, a county jail, a seminary, a
female seminary, a library of over 1,500 vols., a U. S. land
office, 3 churches of brick, 22 stores, numerous mechanic shops,
1 wind m., 2 cotton fac, 2 printing offices, issuing 2 weekly
newspapers, 350 dwellings, and about 2,000 inhabitant, one fifth
of whom are French. The v. extends over half a m. along the
river bank, and has wide streets, crossing each other at right
angles. The r. is navigable to this place for steamboats. The
r., opposite the v., is 230 yards wide.
Vincent, p-t., Chester co., Pa., 30 n. w. Phil-adelphia, 73 s.
e. Harrisburg, 153 W. The sur-face is hilly; soil, sandy loam.
Drained by Stony, French, and Riding creeks. Schuylkill r. runs
on its n. e. border. Pop. 2,426. (See E. and W. Vincent.)
Vincenton, p-v., Northampton t., Burlington co., N. J., 26 s.
Trenton, 160 W. Situated on the s. branch of Rancocus cr., at
the junction of Stop-the-Jade cr., and contains 2 churches, 1
free to all denominations and 1 Friends, 4 stores, 1 grist m., 1
saw m., and about 40 dwellings.
Vineyard, p-t., Grand Isle co., Vt., 78 n. w. Montpelier, 551 W.
It consists of Isle La Motto or Vineyard, in Lake Champlain. It
was chartered by the former name in 1799, and received its
present name in 1802. First settled in 1785. It contains 4,620
acres. The soil is generally fertile, and a marsh across the
island affords excellent cedar. Good building and lime stone are
found. It has 1 store, cap. $1,500. Pop. 435.
Vineyard, t., Washington co., Ark. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000;
1 tannery, 1 printing office, 2 flouring m., 6 grist m., 4 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $29,160. 1 acad. 40 students, 1 sch. 33
scholars. Pop. 837.
Vineyard Mills, p-o., Huntingdon co., Pa., 87 w. Harrisburg, 135
Viney Fork, p-o., Madison co., Ky., 56 s. e. Frankfort, 546 W
Vinton, p-v., Huntingdon t., Gallia co., O., 92 s. by e.
Columbus, 367 W. Situated on the w. side of Big Racoon cr., 20
ms. from its entrance into Ohio r., and contains an academy, 3
stores, 2 grist and saw m., and about 75 inhabitants. Mineral
coal and iron ore are abundant in the vicinity.
Vinton, t., Athens co., O. Drained by Racoon cr. It has 1 grist
m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,700. 1 sch. 28 scholars. Pop.
Violet, t., Fairfield co., O. Pop. 2,378.
Virgil, p-t., Cortland co., N. Y., 149 Albany, 308 W. The
surface is uneven; soil, fertile sandy and clay loam. Drained by
East Owego cr. and Toughnioga r. The v. contains 3 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, 3 stores, 1 tannery,
40 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants. There are in the t. 4
stores, cap. $19,000; 1 fulling m., 1 forge, 2 tanneries, 2
grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $23,730; 35 sch. 1,515
scholars. Pop. 4,502.
State of Virginia
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!