American History and Genealogy Project

Wallingford, CT to Warren, County, PA

Page 690

Wallingford, p-t., New Haven co., Ct., 24 s. by w. Hartford, 313 W. The surface is uneven; soil, generally fertile. Drained by Quinnipiac r., which affords water power. The v. at the centre contains 3 churches--1 Congregational, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Baptist. There are two other small manufacturing villages, where britannia, tin ware, and wood screws are extensively manufactured. The railroad from New Haven to Hartford passes through the t. There are in the t. 2 woollen fac., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $43,050. 10 sch. 289 scholars. Pop. 2,204.

Walling's Creek, p-o., Lee co., Va., 370 w. by s. Richmond, 438 W.

Walker, t., Huntingdon to., Pa. The surface is hilly; soil, in the valleys, calcareous loam. Bounded s. and e. by Raystown branch of Juniata r. It has 2 stores, cap. $13,000; 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,008. 6 sch. 225 scholars. Pop. 1,055.

Walker, t., Cole co., Mo. It has 3 sch. 67 scholars. Pop. 1,354.

Wallkill, r., rises in Sussex co., N. J., and flowing n. n. e. into New York, and passing through Orange and Ulster counties, after receiving Shawangunk cr. on the w. side, it unites with Rondout kill, on the w. border of Esopus. It affords extensive water power.

Wallkill, t., Orange co., N. Y., 22 w. Newburgh. The surface is undulating and hilly; soil, gravelly and clay loam. Drained by Shawangunk cr. and Wallkill r. It contains Middletown and Mechanicsville villages. It has 17 stores, cap. $41,050; 3 lumber yards, 4 fulling m., 3 woollen fac., 5 tanneries, 6 distilleries, 1 pottery, 4 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $80,220. 1 acad. 30 students, 22 sch. 1,011 scholars. Pop. 4,268.

Wallonia, p-v., Trigg co., Ky., 234 s. w. Frankfort, 761 W. Situated on the e. side of Muddy fork of Little r.

Walloomsack, r., Vt., is formed by the union of several streams in Bennington, and flowing w. unites with Hoosic r., in Hoosic t., Rensselaer co., N. Y. It affords good water power.

Wallsville, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa., 154 n. e. Harrisburg, 260 W.

Walnut, creek, O., rises on the borders of Licking and Fairfield counties, and flowing 30 ms. s. w. falls into Scioto r., 6 ms. above Circleville.

Walnut, p-o., Juniata co., Pa., 51 n. w. Harrisburg, 142 W.

Walnut, t., Fairfield co., O. The Ohio canal passes through it. It contains the villages of New Salem and Millersport. Pop. 2,096.

Walnut, t., Gallia co., O. Organized in 1819. The natural growth was extensively walnut. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Pop. 636.

Walnut, t., Holmes co., O. Watered by a branch of Sugar cr. It has 1 store, cap. $1,500; 1 distillery, 1 flouring m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,856. Pop. 1,099.

Walnut, t, Pickaway co., O. Scioto river bounds it on the n. w. It has 1 store, cap. $250; 1 fulling m., 1 woollen fac., 3 distilleries, 4 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,678. 6 sch. 158 scholars. Pop. 1,798.

Walnut, t., Montgomery co., Ia. It has 4 sch. 85 scholars. Pop. 813.

Walnut, t., Phillips co., Ark. It has 4 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $3,100. Pop. 510.

Walnut Branch, p-o., Fauquier co., Va., 112 n. by w. Richmond, 56 W.

Walnut Camp, p-o., St. Francis co., Ark., 130 e. Little Rock, 975 W.

Walnut Creek, p-o., Stark co., Ill., 111 n. Springfield, 825 W.

Walnut Flat, p-o., Lincoln co., Ky., 58 s. s. e. Frankfort, 571 W.

Walnut Forest, p-o., Greene co., Mo., 150 s. s. w. Jefferson City, 1,065 W.

Walnut Fork, p-o., Jones co., Iowa.

Walnut Grove, p-o., Morris co., N. J., 58 n. Trenton, 230 W.

Walnut Grove, p-o., Kanawha co., Va., 333 w. n. w. Richmond, 370 W.

Walnut Grove, p-o., Orange co., N. C., 48 n. w. Raleigh, 266 W.

Walnut Grove, p-o., Spartanburg dist., S. C., 106 n. w. Columbia, 481 W.

Walnut Grove, p-o., Caldwell co., Ky.

Walnut Grove, p-o., Hawkins co., Tenn.

Walnut Hill, p-o., Lee co., Va.. 410 w. by s. Richmond, 478 W.

Walnut Hill, p-o., Franklin co., Ga.

Walnut Hill, p-o., Hamilton co., O., 117 s. w. Columbus, 490 W.

Walnut Hill, p-o., Bradley co., Tenn., 276 s. E. Nashville, 421 W.

Walnut Hill, p-o., Lafayette co., Ark.

Walnut Hill, p-o., Marion co., Ill., 114 s. s. e. Springfield, 775 W.

Walnut Lane, p-o., Surry co., N. C., 154 w. s. w. Raleigh, 360 W.

Walnut Ridge, p-o., Washington co., Ia., 86 s. Indianapolis, 607 W.

Walnut Valley, p-o., Warren co., N. J., 70 n. Trenton, 225 W.

Walnut Valley, p-o., Madison co., Ky.

Walpack, p-t., Sussex co., N. J., 91 n. n. w. Trenton, 248 W. One half the surface is covered by Blue mountain, between which and Delaware r. on its w. border, the soil is a fertile calcareous loam and alluvion. Drained by Flatkill cr., which flows into Delaware r. It contains a German Reformed church, and has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufactures $10,075. 4 sch. 120 scholars. Pop. 728.

Walpole, p-t., Cheshire co., N. H., 63 s. w. by w. Concord, 444 W. The surface is uneven; soil, fertile, particularly along Connecticut river, which bounds it on the w. Watered by Cold r. Fall mountain, towards its s. e. part, is elevated 750 feet above the level of Connecticut r. The v. is pleasantly situated at the foot of this hill or mountain, on an elevated plain, and contains a Congregational church, and a considerable number of dwellings, many of them large and handsome. On Coldwater r., 3 ms. n. e., is a flourishing manufacturing v. Bellows falls in Connecticut r., in the n. w. part of the t., are a curiosity. (See Bellows Falls.) The river is very much compressed, and without much perpendicular fall, it rushes impetuously through a chasm, descending 42 feet in the course of half a mile. A bridge here crosses the r. to Rockingham, Vt., in which t. is the canal around the falls. At the falls in Walpole is a small v., called Drewsville. Another bridge crosses from the principal village to Westminster, Vt. There are in the t. 7 stores, cap. $19,000; 1 fulling m., 2 woollen fac., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 9 saw m. Capital in manufac. $80,400. 1 acad. 52 students, 14 sch. 558 scholars. Pop. 2,015.

Page 691

Walpole, p-t., Norfolk co., Mass., 21 s. w.  Boston, 427 W. The surface is rough; soil, fertile with good cultivation. Drained by Neponset r. and its branches, which afford water power. Incorporated in 1724. It contains 3 churches--2 Congregational and 1 Methodist. It has 5 stores, cap. $12,800; 3 fulling m., 3 woollen fac, 3 cotton fac. 1,138 spindles, 5 sch. 395 scholars. Pop. 1,491.

Walpole East, p-o., Walpole t., Norfolk co., Mass., 19 s. w. Boston, 426 W.

Walterborough, p-v., capital of Colleton dist., S. C., 99 Columbia, 605 W. Situated on a branch of Ashepoo r., and contains a court house, jail, and about 500 inhabitants.

Waltham, t., Hancock co., Me. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. It has 2 saw m., 2 sch. 82 scholars. Pop. 231.

Waltham, t., Addison co., Vt., 24 s. Burlington, 9 n. w. Middlebury. The surface is elevated and uneven; soil, fertile, particularly along Otter Creek r., which bounds it on the w. Buck mountain, near its centre, commands an extensive prospect. It has 4 sch. 190 scholars. Pop. 283.

Waltham, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 10 w. by n. Boston, 430 W. The surface is level, or moderately uneven; soil, indifferent, but well cultivated and made productive. Drained by Charles r., which affords water power. It contains 6 churches--2 Congregational, 1 Unitarian, 1 Methodist, 1 Universalist, and 1 Roman Catholic. The v. is pleasantly situated on a plain, on 1 street a mile long, and contains 150 dwellings, many of them elegant, and beautifully ornamented with trees, shrubbery, and gardens. Cotton and woollen manufactures are extensive. There are in the t. 11 stores, cap. $29,000; 3 cotton fac. 11,000 sp., 1 paper fac., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 2 grist m. Cap. in manufactures $463,500. 2 acad. 36 students, 9 sch. 500 scholars. Pop. 2,504.

Walthamsville, p-v., Liberty co., Ga., 204 s. e. Milledgeville, 708 W. It contains a church, an academy, and 250 inhabitants, and double that number in the summer season.

Walton, County, Ga. Situated n. of the centre of the state, and contains 320 sq. ms. Drained by the head waters of Ocmulgee and Oconee rs. Capital, Monroe. There were in 1840, neat cattle 3,599, sheep 1,579, swine 11,703; wheat 18,658 bush. produced, Indian corn 171,495, oats 18,560, potatoes 2,900, cotton 627,750 pounds; 8 stores, cap. $3,250; 3 tanneries, 7 distilleries, 12 grist m., 10 saw m. Pop. whites 6,583, slaves 3,625, free col'd 1; total, 10,209.

Walton, County, Flor. Situated in the w. part of the territory, and contains 1,584 sq. miles. Choctawhatchee river bounds it on the e., and Choctawhatchee bay on the s. Drained by Yellow Water r., and Shoal r. and its branches, and White, Alequa, and other crs. The last is navigable 15 ms. from the bay. It has fertile land, particularly in the n. part. Capital, Euchee Anna. There were in 1840, neat cattle 10,952, sheep 386, swine 3,959; Ind. corn 25,048 bush. produced, potatoes 6,902, cotton 52,122 pounds; 4 stores, cap. $7,000; 6 grist m., 7sch. 131 scholars. Pop whites 1,189, slaves 231, free col'd 41; total, 1,401

Walton, p-t., Delaware co., N. Y., 97 s. w. Albany, 321 W. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, adapted to grazing. Drained by the w. branch of Delaware r. and its tributaries. The v. is situated on Delaware r., and contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Episcopal church, 6 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 1 clothier's works, 1 tannery, 60 dwellings, and about 350 inhabitants. There are in the t. 4 stores, cap. $13,119; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,600. 17 sch. 603 scholars. Pop. 1,846.

Walton, p-o., Boone co., Kv.

Walton, p-t., Eaton co., Mich. Pop. 116.

Waltonham, p-v., St. Louis co., Mo., 9 n. w. St. Louis, 121 e. by n. Jefferson City, 817 W. It contains about 50 inhabitants.

Walworth, County, Wis. Situated in the s. e. part of the territory, and contains 675 sq. miles. The surface is level, consisting of timbered and prairie land; soil, very fertile. Drained by Turtle r. and its branches, and by branches of Fox r., one of which issues from Geneva lake in its s. part. Capital, Delavan. There were in 1840, neat cattle 2,861, sheep 410, swine 6,380; wheat 59,560 bush. produced, barley 1,499, oats 35,155, potatoes, 14,410, sugar 13,050 pounds; 1 store, capital $2,500; 1 distillery, 3 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $33,005. 4 sch. 107 scholars. Pop. 2,611.

Walworth, p-t., Wayne co., N. Y., 18 n. w. Lyons, 205 w. Albany, 362 W. The surface is rolling; soil, a fertile gravelly loam. Drained in the n. part by streams flowing into Lake Ontario, and in the s. by tributaries of Mud cr., a branch of Clyde river. The v. contains 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist church, 3 stores, 1 tannery, 25 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap. $14,500; 2 tanneries, 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,853. 9 sch. 336 scholars. Pop. 1,734.

Walworth, p-t., Walworth co., Wis., 69 s. e. Madison, 778 W. Pop. 226.

Wamp8ville, p-v., Lenox t., Madison co., N. Y., 117 w. Albany, 362 W. Situated on the w. side of Cowasalon cr., and contains 1 Presbyterian church, 4 stores, and about 40 dwellings.

Wantage, t., Sussex co., N. J. Bounded n. by the state of New York. The surface is rolling on the e., mountainous and hilly on the w.; soil, a fertile calcareous loam. Drained by Deep Clove river and Papakating cr., which unite and flow into Wallkill river. Along the Wallkill is a margin of swamp, known as the Drowned Lands. It has 11 stores, capital $44,270; 1 lumber yard, cap. $2,200; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 5 distilleries, 10 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufactures $73,925. 1 acad. 26 students, 22 sch. 573 scholars. Pop. 3,908.

Wapahkonetta, p-v., Allen co., O., 101 n. w. Columbus, 484 W. It was formerly near the centre of a large Indian reservation of the Shawnee tribe, but their title has been extinguished, and they have removed. It is now settled entirely by the whites, and contains about 110 inhabitants.

Wappelo, p-v., capital of Louisa co., Iowa. Handsomely located on the site of Wappelo Village. A chief of the Fox Indians, of that name, resided here until the summer of 1836. It is regularly laid out with streets and squares, and contains a court house, and a number of neat dwellings.

Wappingers, creek, N. Y., rises in Dutchess co., and enters Hudson r. below the v. of New Hamburgh. It affords good water power.

Wappingers Creek, p-o., Fishkiil t., Dutchess co., N. Y., 78 s. Albany, 294 W.

Ward, t., Athens co., O. It has 5 saw mills. Capital in manufac. $2,600. 1 sch. 17 scholars. Pop. 345.

Ward, t., Randolph co., Ia. It has 3 stores, cap. $5,300; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m., 4 sch. 110 scholars. Pop. 1,138.

Wardensville, p-o., Hardy co., Va., 177 n. w. Richmond, 105 W.

Page 692

Wardsborough, p-t., Windham co., Vt., 15 n.  w. Brattleboro', 120 s. by w. Montpelier, 447 W. The surface is hilly, and in some parts rough; soil, adapted to grazing. Drained by a branch of West r., which affords water power. Chartered in 1780. It contains a Congregational and a Baptist church. It has 3 stores, cap. $8,000; 1 fulling m., 1 cotton fac. 60 sp., 3 tanneries, 3 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,750. 7 sch. 386 scholars. Pop. 1,102.

Ward's Bridge, p-o., Pittsylvania co., Va., 142 s. w. Richmond, 220 W.

Ware, river, Mass., rises in Worcester co., and enters Chickapee r. on the line of Hampshire and Hampden counties. It affords good water power.

War Eagle, t., Madison co., Ark. It has 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,130. 1 sch. 23 scholars. Pop. 758.

Ware, County, Ga. Situated in the s. toward the e. part of the state, and contains 3,440 square miles. Drained by Santilla r. and its branches, in the n., and by the head waters of Suwanne r. in the s. part. Okefinoke swamp occupies its s. e. part. This great marshy lake is about 280 ms. in circumference, and extends into Florida. In wet seasons it appears like an inland sea, with several fertile islands. St. Mary's r. rises in this swamp. The surface of the county is level; soil, fertile, but much of it is exposed to inundation. Capital, Waresboro'. There were in 1840, neat cattle 20,918, sheep 392, swine 12,269; wheat 893 bush. produced, oats 18,658, potatoes 2,900, cotton 627,750 pounds, sugar 11,935; 9 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $2,700. 1 college, 13 sch. 478 scholars. Pop. whites 2,189, slaves 132, free col'd 2; total, 2,323.

Ware, p-t., Hampshire co., Mass., 22 e. by s. Northampton, 68 w. by s. Boston, 385 W. The surface is hilly and rough; soil, well adapted to grazing. Swift r. bounds it on the w. Watered by Ware r., which affords good water power. It contains 2 Congregational churches. The v. is pleasantly situated in the e. part of the t., on Ware r., at the falls, and contains a Congregational church, a bank, various manufacturing establishments, and about 1,500 inhabitants. There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $8,000; 1 cotton fac. 350 sp., 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $147,300. 14 sch. 611 scholars. Pop. 1,890.

Wareham, p-t., Plymouth co., Mass., 53 s. s. e. Boston, 446 W. The surface is level; soil, light and sandy. Bounded s. by the head of Buzzard's bay. Watered by Agawon r., and fine mill streams which flow into the bay. The v. at the head of the bay contains a Congregational and a Methodist church, a bank, and a considerable number of dwellings. Vessels of 150 or 200 tons come to its wharves. There are in the t. 8 stores, cap. $28,000; 1 lumber yard, cap. $1,000; 1 cotton fac. 600 sp., 1 tannery, 1 paper fac., 4 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $212,600; 5 sch. 138 scholars. Pop. 2,002.

Warehouse Point, p-v., East Windsor t., Hartford co., Ct., 14 n. by e. Hartford, 349 W. It lies in the n. w. part of the t., on the e. side of Connecticut r., and has 2 churches--1 Episcopal and 1 Methodist.

Waresborough, p-v., capital of Ware co., Ga., 75 n. w. St. Mary's, 212 s. s. e. Milledgeville, 811 W. Situated a little s. of Santilla r., and contains a court house and about 50 inhabitants.

Warfieldburg, p-v., Carroll co., Md., 56 n. n. w. Annapolis, 61 W. Situated a few miles s. w. of Westminster, the capital of the county.

Warfordsburg, p-v., Bedford co., Pa., 85 s. w. Harrisburg, 100 W.

Warlick's Store, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C. 185 w. by s. Raleigh, 422 W.
Warminster, t., Bucks co., Pa., 17 n. Philadelphia, 8 s. e. Doylestown. The surface is hilly; soil, gravel and sandy loam. Drained by branches of Pennypack cr. It has 3 stores, cap. $13,000: 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,300. 4 sch. 88 scholars. Pop. 934.

Warminster, p-v., Nelson co., Va. Situated on the n. side of James r. It contains 2 stores, a masonic hall, used as a church, and about 30 inhabitants, nearly half of whom are colored. It was formerly more flourishing than at present.

Warm Springs, p-v., Buncombe co., N. C., 34 n. n. w. Ashville, 291 w. Raleigh, 462 W. Situated near French Broad r. The springs contain valuable medicinal properties.

Warm Springs, p-v., Meriwether co., Ga., 110 w. by s. Milledgeville, 732 W. Situated near the head of a branch of Flint r.

Warner, p-t., Merrimac co., N. H., 17 w. n. w. Concord, 481 W. Drained by Warner river, which flows into Contoocook r. The surface is uneven and broken; soil, generally fertile, adapted to grazing. Incorporated in 1774. It has 5 stores, cap. $8,500; 2 tanneries, 1 paper fac., 3 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $38,650. 23 schools 561 scholars. Population 2,139.

Warren, County, N. Y. Situated in the e., toward the n. part of the state, and contains 912 sq. ms. Lake George lies on its e., and extends into its s. e. part. There are several other lakes. The surface is hilly, mountainous, and broken. Drained by Hudson r. and Schroon branch, which here unite. Iron ore is abundant, and marl has been found in Queensbury t. The country is in a great measure a wilderness. Capital, Caldwell. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,826, sheep 22,775, swine 8,053; wheat 12,961 bushels produced, rye 17,567, Indian corn 63,476, buckwheat 24,647, barley 1,201, oats 103,733, potatoes 221,134, sugar 43,821 pounds; 48 stores, cap. $110,000; 7 fulling m., 1 woollen fac., 9 tanneries, 2 powder m., 14 grist m., 99 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $121,960. 104 sch. 4,119 scholars. Pop. 13,422.

Warren, County, N. J. Situated in the w. toward the n. part of the state, and contains 350 sq. ms. Bounded w. by Delaware r. Drained by Paulinskill, Pequest, and Pohatcong rivers. Organized in 1824. The surface is uneven. Musconetcong or Schooley's mountain bounds it on the s. e. Capital, Belvidere. There were in 1840, neat cattle 12,718, sheep 19,599, swine 22,517; wheat 124,726 bushels produced, rye 184,877, Indian corn 311,955, buckwheat 108,300, oats 173,602, potatoes 142,662; 53 stores, cap. $207,900; 1 furnace, 1 cotton fac. 216 sp., 9 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 brewery, 21 flouring m., 35 grist m., 24 saw m., 4 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $470,160. 92 sch. 5,533 scholars. Pop. 20,366.

Warren, County, Pa. Situated in the n. w. part of the state, and contains 832 sq. ms. The surface is undulating; soil, moderately fertile. Drained by Alleghany r. and its tributaries, Conewango, Broken Straw, and other creeks. The surface is broken; soil, in some parts, fertile. Capital, Warren. There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,340, sheep 13,081, swine 6,334; wheat 30,280 bush. produced, rye 6,247, Indian corn 37,228, buckwheat 13,570, barley 1,341, oats 64,890, potatoes 147,274, sugar 91,318 pounds; 23 stores, cap. $65,750; 5 fulling m., 3 furnaces, 6 tanneries, 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers, 2 flouring m., 16 grist m., 123 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $343,172. 1 acad. 50 students, 82 sch. 2,074 scholars. Pop. 9,278.

Table of Contents

Source: A Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith, 1843

This book is a joint project between members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and Susan Dorris our finder!

Please Come Back Again!!

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work