American History and Genealogy Project

Warren County, VA to Warsaw, OH

Page 693

Warren, County, Va. Situated in the n. part of the state, and contains 200 sq. ms. The Shenandoah r. passes centrally through it. Capital, Front Royal. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,424, sheep 7,289, swine 12,969; wheat 148,372 bush. produced, rye 17,390, Ind. corn 219,320, buckwheat 4,881, oats 57,644, potatoes 16,325; 11 stores, cap. $83,000; 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 8 distilleries, 13 flouring m., 20 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $115,020. 1 acad. 14 students, 6 sch. 220 scholars. Pop. whites 3,851, slaves 1,434, free col'd 342; total, 5,627.

Warren, County, N. C. Situated in the n. part of the state, and contains 391 sq. ms. The surface is elevated; soil, fertile. Drained by Roanoke r. and its branches in the n. part, and Fishing cr. and its branches in the s. part. Capital Warrenton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,100, sheep 7,860, swine 30,856; wheat 25,551 bush. produced, rye 888, Ind. corn 395,351, oats 80,113, potatoes 24,730, tobacco 3,574,296 pounds, cotton 380,954; 10 stores, cap. $49,800; 4 flouring m., 26 grist m., 7 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $49,150. 3 acad. 71 students, 10 sch. 182 scholars. Pop. whites 4,400, slaves 8,200, free col'd 329; total 12,919.

Warren, County, Ga. Situated toward the e. part of the state, and contains 560 sq. ms. Ogeechee r. bounds it on the s. w., and Little r. on the n., by branches of which and of Brier cr. it is drained. The Ga. railroad passes through it. Capital, Warrenton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,349, sheep 4,505, swine 17,254; wheat 13,351 bush. produced, Ind. corn 268,320, oats 6,860, potatoes 5,892, cotton 262,555 pounds; 16 stores, cap. $100,050; 2 cotton fac. 1,123 sp., 4 flouring m., 5 grist m., 6 saw m., 1 acad. 75 students, 5 sch. 147 scholars. Pop. whites 5,176, slaves 4,536, free col'd 77; total 9,789.

Warren, County, Miss. Situated in the w. part of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. Big Black r. bounds it on the s. e., and Mississippi r. on the w. Watered by Yazoo r., and by branches of Big Black r. The surface on the e. is hilly and broken, on the bottoms of the Mississippi, liable to submersion; soil, extensively very fertile. The Vicksburg and Brandon railroad passes through it. Capital, Vicksburg. There were in 1840 neat cattle 22,648, sheep 3,812, swine 25,890; Ind. corn 543,140 bush. produced, oats 32,119, potatoes 62,320, cotton 16,049,200 pounds; 26 commission houses, cap. $167,800; 112 stores, cap. $467,350; 10 saw m. Cap. in manufactures $188,310. 2 acad. 184 studente, 7 sch. 176 scholars. Pop. whites 5,223, slaves 10,493, free col'd 104; total, 15,820.

Warren, County, Tenn. Situated near the middle of the state, and contains 960 sq. ms. Drained by Collins r. and its branches, which flow into the Caney Fork of Cumberland r. Capital, McMinnville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,107, sheep 9,722, swine 10,141; wheat 53,347 bush. produced, rye 3,835, Indian corn 468,085, oats 108,117, potatoes 12,012, cotton 4,384 pounds; 5 stores, cap. $24,500; 5 tanneries, 6 distilleries, 1 powder m., 10 grist m., 4 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $12,065. 28 sch. 1,161 scholars. Pop. whites 9,366, slaves 1,349, free col'd 88; total 10,803.

Warren, County, Ky. Situated s. w. of the centre of the state, and contains 612 sq. ms. Drained by Big Barren r. and its branches, which flow into Green r., which bounds it on the n. Capital, Bowling Green. There were in 1840, neat cattle 34,523, sheep 21,729, swine 52,329; wheat 80,180 bush. produced, rye 1,976, Indian corn 715,566, oats 183,210, potatoes 18,576, tobacco 1,029,890 pounds; 1 commission house, cap. $15,000; 20 stores, cap. $316,200; 12 tanneries, 23 distilleries, 7 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $37,665. 1 acad. 30 students, 4 sch. 125 scholars. Pop. whites 11,078, slaves 4,207, free col'd 161; total, 15,446.

Warren, County, O. Situated toward the s. w. part of the state, and contains 400 sq. ms. Great Miami r. crosses its n. w. corner. Drained by Little Miami r. and its branches. The Miamis afford water power, and are beatable in high water. It contains some remarkable ancient mounds. The land is some of the most fertile portion of the Miami valley. Capital, Lebanon. There were in 1840, neat cattle 21,368, sheep 33,031, swine 56,847; wheat 248,665 bush. produced, rye 7,750, Ind. corn 1,231,321, barley 7,754, oats 327,314, potatoes 44,912, sugar 187,295 pounds; 80 stores, cap. $170,600; 4 fulling m., 3 woollen fac., 13 tanneries, 1 distillery, 4 potteries, 5 flouring m., 22 grist m., 19 saw m., 2 paper fac. Cap. in manufac. $236,464. 69 sch. 5,356 scholars. Pop. 23,141.

Warren, County, Ia. Situated in the w. part of the state, and contains 350 sq. ms. Organized in 1828. Watered by Wabash r. and its branches. The surface is level, one third of it prairie; soil, fertile. The Wabash is navigable for steamboats, and its tributaries afford good water power. Capital, Williamsport. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,963, sheep 9,515, swine 15,851; wheat 32,198 bush. produced, rye 1,447, Ind. corn 414,046, oats 89,955, potatoes 15,543, tobacco 830 pounds, sugar 8,200; 8 stores, cap. $25,000; 6 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 flouring m., 4 grist m., 19 saw m. Cap. in manufactures $30,193. 8 sch. 185 scholars Pop. 5,656.

Warren, County, Ill. Situated in the w. toward the n. part of the state, and contains 900 sq. ms. Formed in 1825, organized in 1830. Mississippi r. bounds it on the w. Drained by Henderson r. and its branches, and by Ellison, Honey, and Camp creeks. The surface is level; soil, very fertile, particularly on the streams. On the Mississippi it is liable to submersion. Capital, Monmouth. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,769, sheep 7,141, swine 23,682; wheat 75,243 bush. produced, rye 4,120, Indian corn 293,843, barley 1,394, oats 97,400, potatoes 21,884, sugar 22,619 pounds; 2 commission houses, cap. $4,000; 10 stores, cap. $29,500; 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 3 flouring m., 4 grist m., 20 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $79,370. 19 sch. 569 scholars. Pop. 6,739.

Warren, County, Mo. Situated toward the e. part of the state, and contains 350 sq. ms. Bounded s. w. by Missouri r., by small branches of which it is drained. The surface is various; soil, on the bottoms, very fertile. Capital, Warrenton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,626, sheep 3,983, swine 10,950; wheat 13,693 bush. produced, Ind. corn 132,345, oats 21,185, potatoes 6,526, tobacco 338,4O0 pounds, sugar 4,562; 27 stores, cap. $41,200; 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 5 grist m., 6 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $12,575. 5 sch. 104 scholars. Pop. whites 3,555, slaves 696, free col'd 2; total, 4,253.

Warren, p-t., one of the capitals of Lincoln co., Me., 37 s. e. Augusta, 613 W. Watered by St. George r., which affords water power, and is navigable for sloops. It contains several ponds. Incorporated in 1776. The v. contains a court  house, an academy, and a number of neat dwellings. There are in the t. 14 stores, cap. $23,000; 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,675. 1 acad. 80 students, 19 sch. 853 scholars. Pop. 2,228.

Page 694

Warren, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 60 n. n. w. Concord, 522 W. Watered by Bakers r., which affords water power. A pond in its n. e. part flows into Pemigewasset r. Carr's mountain is in its s. e. part. Chartered in 1763. It has 1 store, cap. $1,500; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,330. 8 sch. 277 scholars. Pop. 938.

Warren, p-t., Washington co., Vt., 31 s. e. Burlington, 25 s. w. Montpelier, 500 W. Drained by Mud r., a branch of Onion or Winooski r., which affords water power. The surface is not very uneven, but it lies between 2 ranges of the Green mountains. Chartered in 1789, first settled in 1797. It has 2 stores, cap. $5,000; 2 fulling m., 1 woollen fac., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,750. 8 sch. 258 scholars. Pop. 943.

Warren, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 66 w. s. w. Boston, 385 W. Incorporated by the name of Western in 1741, received the name of Warren in 1834. Drained by Chickapee r., which affords good water power. The surface is hilly and rough; soil, productive, adapted to grain and to grazing. The v. is on Chickapee r., and contains a Congregational and a Universalist church, several manufactories, and a number of dwellings. The Worcester and Springfield railroad passes through it across the t. along the r. Iron ore is found. There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $14,400; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac., 3 cotton fac. 5,500 sp., 1 forge, 3 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $22,700. 10 sch. 373 scholars. Pop. 1,290.

Warren, p-t., Litchfield co., Ct., 8 w. Litchfield, 48 w. Hartford, 321 W. Watered by Shepaug r., a branch of Housatonic r. Raumang pond lies on its s. border. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, gravelly loam, adapted to grazing. It contains a Congregational and a Baptist church. Incorporated in 1786. It has 2 stores, cap. $6,000; 2 forges, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 acad. 17 students, 7 sch. 257 scholars. Pop. 872.

Warren, p-t., Bristol co., R. I., 14 s. e. Providence, 414 W. Situated on the e. side of Narraganset bay. The surface is undulating; soil, a fertile mold. The v. is pleasantly situated in the s. e. part of the t. on elevated ground, and has a good harbor, admitting vessels of 300 tons. There are 13 wharves with convenient storehouses. It contains 2 churches--1 Baptist and 1 Methodist--an academy, a bank, and about 200 dwellings. It has considerable ship-building. Incorporated in 1746. There are in the t. 7 commercial and com. houses, cap. $184,000; 22 stores, cap. $60,500; 4 acad. 270 students, 7 sch. 195 scholars. Pop. 2,437.

Warren, p-t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 64 n. w. Albany, 375 W. The surface is hilly; soil, sandy and clay loam, well adapted to grazing and to grain. Drained by Nowadaga cr., flowing into Mohawk r. Little Lake v. is in its s. part. It has 7 stores, cap. $18,400; 3 fulling m., 2 woollen fac., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $31,395. 10 sch. 495 scholars. Pop. 2,003.

Warren, t., Somerset co., N. J., 6 n. e. Somerville. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, stiff clay and sandy loam. Watered by Middle Brook. It contains copper ore, and some gold has been found. It has 5 stores, cap. $3,000; 4 distilleries, 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $17,000. 4 sch. 85 scholars. Pop. 1,601.

Warren, p-b., capital of Warren co., Pa., 205 n. w. Harrisburg, 297 W. Situated on the n. side of Alleghany r., at the junction of Conewango cr. The streets cross each other at right angles, dividing the whole into 16 blocks, with 500 lots, one third of an acre each. Near the centre, at the intersection of 2 streets 100 feet wide each, is a public ground of 4 lots, each containing 1 acre for public buildings. It contains a court house, jail, fire-proof county offices of stone, an academy, 5 stores, a bank, 3 churches, 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., and about 100 dwellings. The bank of the r. is here 35 feet high, commanding a fine view of the stream above and below the v. It has 14 stores, cap. $12,500; 1 fulling m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers, 1 flouring m., 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $24,000. 1 acad. 50 students, 3 sch. 90 scholars. Pop. 737.

Warren, t., Franklin co., Pa., 21 s. w. Chambersburg. The surface is mountainous; soil, calcareous loam and slate. Drained by Little Cove cr., a branch of Licking cr. It has 1 store, cap. $1,600; 1 furnace, 1 forge, 1 tannery. Cap. in manufac. $1,000. 2 sch. 85 scholars. Pop. 662.

Warren, t., Bradford co., Pa., 17 n. e. Towanda. The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Drained by Wepasening cr. and its branches, flowing into Susquehanna r. It has 2 stores, cap. $5,000; 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac $2,350. 10 sch. 415 scholars. Pop. 1,308.

Warren, p-v., Baltimore co., Md., 45 n. Annapolis, 55 W.

Warren, p-v., Albemarle co., Va., 79 n. w. by w. Richmond, 145 W. Situated on the n. bank of James r., at the mouth of Ballenger's cr. It contains 1 free church, 2 stores, and about 60 inhabitants.

Warren, p-t., capital of Trumbull co., O., 163 n. e. Columbus, 303 W. Situated on Mahoning r., on the Pennsylvania and Ohio canal. The town plat is 1 m. square, with streets crossing each other at right angles, and contains a court house, jail, county offices, 3 churches, 16 stores, various mechanic shops, 2 printing offices, 200 dwellings, and about 1,500 inhabitants. There are in the t. 12 sch. 640 scholars. Pop. 1,996.

Warren, t., Belmont co., O. The surface is rolling; soil, fertile, adapted to wheat, Indian corn, and tobacco. Drained by head branches Captina and Stillwater creeks, which afford water power. It contains Barnsville v., 2 ms. w. of which is a remarkable ancient fortification, enclosing 4 or 5 acres, in a circular form, with walls at present not more than from 3 to 6 feet high, and 15 broad at the base, on and within which are trees, as large as those of the neighboring forest. There are 2 gate-ways exactly opposite to each other on opposite sides of the fort. There are in the t. 1 acad. 14 students, 4 sch. 112 scholars. Pop. 2,408.

Warren, t., Jefferson co., O. It has 5 stores, cap. $18,000; 1 lumber yard, cap. $3,000; 1 tannery, 4 flouring m., 1 grist m., 4 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac $17,600. 5 sch. 250 scholars. Pop. 1,945.

Warren, t., Tuscarawas co., O. It has 5 stores, cap. $2,600; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,700. 10 sch. 402 scholars. Pop. 1,173.

Warren, t., Washington co., O. Situated on Ohio r., 4 ms. below Marietta. It has fine farms, and produces good fruit. It contains sandstone, from which grindstones are manufactured. It has 8 sch. 245 scholars. Pop. 931.

Page 695

Warren, t., Macomb co., Mich. It has 2 sch. 41 scholars. Pop. 337.

Warren, p-v., Bibb co., Ga., 43 s. w. Milledgeville, 699 W.

Warren, p-v., Huntington co., Ia., 123 n. n. e. Indianapolis, 588 W. It contains about 50 inhabitants.

Warren, t., Marion co., Ia. It has 9 stores, cap. $14,800; 1 cotton fac. 500 sp., 2 tanneries, 1 brewery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $36,250. 2 sch. 69 scholars. Pop. 1,374.

Warren, t., Putnam co., Ia. It has 9 stores, cap. $21,550; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 pottery, 1 flouring m., 5 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,205. 6 sch. 486 scholars. Pop. 2,201.

Warren, p-v., Marion co., Mo., 105 n. n. e. Jefferson City, 940 W.

Warren, t., Marion co., Mo. It has 4 sch. 95 scholars. Pop. 1,514.

Warren Ferry, p-o., Buckingham co., Va., 80 w. Richmond, 146 W.

Warrenham, p-o., Bradford co., Pa., 195 n. by e. Harrisburg, 285 W.

Warrensburg, p-t., Warren co., N. Y., 6 n. w. Caldwell, 69 n. Albany, 444 W. The surface is hilly and mountainous. Hudson r. and Schroon branch here unite, on which is very fertile land. The v. is situated on Schroon branch, and contains 2 churches, 4 stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 clothier's works, 1 extensive tannery, 60 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants. There are in the t. 5 stores, cap. $18,000; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $75,000. 10 sch. 405 scholars. Pop. 1,468.

Warrensburg, p-v., Greene co., Tcnn., 242 e. Nashville, 454 W. It contains about 78 inhabitants.

Warrensburg, p-v., capital of Johnson co., Mo., 98 w. Jefferson City, 1,034 W. Situated on Blackwater r., above Post Oak fork. It contains a court house, jail, and about 250 inhabitants. The t. has 5 sch. 108 scholars. Pop. 1,228.

Warren Tavern, p-o., Chester co., Pa., 76 e. s. e. Harrisburg, 130 W.

Warrensville, p-v., Du Page co., Ill., 180 n. n. e. Springfield, 748 W.

Warrington, p-v., capital of Fauquier co., Va., 102 n. by w. Richmond, 51 W. It contains a court house, jail, a town hall, 3 churches--1 Episcopal, 1 Presbyterian, and 1 Methodist--several stores, a printing office, issuing a weekly newspaper, 200 dwellings, and about 1,300 inhabitants.

Warrenton, p-v., capital of Warren co., N. C., 62 n. n. e. Raleigh, 224 W. Situated on the head waters of Fishing cr., and contains a court house, jail, a church, several stores, and about 675 inhabitants.

Warrenton, p-v., Abbeville dist., S. C., 103 w. Columbia, 535 W.

Warrenton, p-v., capital of Warren co., Ga., 44 e. n. e. Milledgeville, 626 W. It contains a court house, jail, 7 stores, 1 Methodist church, and 25 dwellings.

Warrenton, p-v., capital of Marshall co., Ala., 135 n. e. Tuscaloosa, 707 W. Situated on the e. side of a branch of Tennessee r., and contains a court house, jail, and about 100 inhabitants.

Warrenton, p-v., Warren t., Jefferson co., O., 136 e. by n. Columbus, 267 W. Situated on Ohio r. above the mouth of Indian Short cr.

Warrenton, p-v., Gibson co., Ia.

Warrenton, p-v., Warren co., Miss., 50 w. Jackson, 1,060 W. Situated on tha e. bank of Mississippi r., and contains soveral stores, and about 300 inhabitants.

Warrenton, p-v., capital of Warren co., Mo., 71 e. n. e. Jefferson City, 868 W. It contains a court house, jail, and about 100 inhabitants.

Warrenton Springs, p-o., Fauquier co., Va., 107 n. by w. Richmond, 56 W.

Warrenville, p-t., Cuyahoga co., O., 154 n. n. e. Columbus, 351 W. Drained by a branch of Cuyahoga r., and small streams flowing into Lake Erie. It has 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $3,000. 9 sch. 278 scholars. Pop. 1,082.

Warrick, County, Ia. Situated in the s. w. part of the state, and contains 360 sq. ms. Ohio r. bounds it off the s. Drained by Big and Little Pigeon creeks. The surface is rolling; soil, fertile. Capital, Booneville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,400, sheep 5,400, swine 1,820; wheat 20,500 bush. produced, Ind. corn 250,800, oats 32,500, potatoes 20,000, tobacco 516,000 pounds; 20 stores, cap. $20,000; 6 tanneries, 6 distilleries, 2 flouring m., 10 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,000. 22 sch. 710 scholars. Pop. 6,321.

Warrington, p-t., Bucks co., Pa., 104 e. Harrisburg, 158 W. It has 1 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $1,950. 3 sch. 88 scholars. Pop. 637.

Warrington, t., York co., Pa. It has 3 stores, cap. $4,800; 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 pottery, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,500.

Warrior Bridge, p-o., Washington co., Ala., 138 s. s. w. Tuscaloosa, 950 W.

Warrior Mark, p-t., Huntingdon co., Pa., 108 w. Harrisburg, 171 W. The surface is mountainous; soil, in the valleys, calcareous loam. In the w. part are Alleghany mountain and Bald Eagle ridge. Drained by Juniata and Bald Eagle cr. The v. near the n. line, contains 2 stores, and about 25 dwellings. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap. $27,150; 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 2 grist m.. 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $24,100. 9 sch. 500 scholars. Pop. 1,689.

Warrior Run, p-o., Northumberland co., Pa.

Warsaw, p-t., capital of Wyoming co., N. Y., 251 w. Albany, 363 W. The surface is partly hilly, with a fertile valley, through which flows Allen's cr.; soil, clay loam and very fertile. The v. is situated on Allen's cr., and contains a court house, jail, county clerk's office, 4 churches--2 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist--6 stores, 1 flouring m., 1 woolen fac., 2 furnaces, 1 machine shop, 1 tannery, 100 dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants. There are in the t. 9 stores, cap. $35,000; 3 fulling m., 1 woolen fac., 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 4 saw ra. Cap. in manufac. $43,100. 2 acad. 80 students, 25 sch. 1,068 scholars. Pop. 2,841.

Warsaw, p-t., Jefferson co., Pa., 168 n. w. Harrisburg, 260 W. Drained by a branch of Bank cr., which flows into Alleghany r.

Warsaw, p-v., capital of Richmond co., Va., 58 n. e. Richmond, 117 W. It contains a court house, jail, county clerk's office, 1 female seminary, 1 Episcopal church, 2 stores, and about 125 inhabitants. It is 3 ms. from the navigable waters of Rappahannock r.

Warsaw, p-v., Duplin co., N. C., 80 s. s. e. Raleigh, 310 W.

Warsaw, p-v., Gwinnett co., Ga., 97 n. w. Milledgeville, 668 W. Situated on the e. side of Chattahoochee r.

Warsaw, p-o., Coshocton co., O., 83 n. e. by e. Columbus, 340 W.

Table of Contents

Source: A Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith, 1843

This book is a joint project between members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and Susan Dorris our finder!

Please Come Back Again!!

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work