Waterford, NJ to Wayne, County KY
Waterford, t., Gloucester co., N. J., (post-office called
Waterford Works,) 12 w. Woodbury, 51 s. s. w. Trenton, 161 W.
The surface is level; soil, sand and sandy loam. Drained by
Pensauken cr., Cooper's cr., and branches of Atsion r. It
contains an Episcopal church, and has 10 stores, cap. $7,310; 4
distilleries, 2 glass houses, 2 grist m., 10 saw m., 1 oil m.
Capital in manufactures $82,937. 8 sch. 425 scholars. Pop.
Waterford, p-t., Erie co., Pa., 13 s. e. Erie, 256 n. w. by w.
Harrisburg, 329 W. The sur-face is hilly; soil, gravelly loam.
Watered by Le Boeuf cr., flowing into Le Boeuf lake, which has
an outlet into French cr. The b. contains 4 stores, cap. $7,700;
1 flouring m. Cap. in manufac. $1,000. 1 acad. 60 students, 1
sch. 30 scholars. Pop. 403. There are in the t. 1 tannery, 3
grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,710. 9 sch. 272 scholars.
Waterford, p-v., Loudon co., Va., 159 n. Richmond, 40 W.
Situated on Kittoctan cr., and contains 2 churches, 1 free to
all denominations, and 1 Friends; 6 stores, 1 flouring m., 1
saw, grist, and plaster m., and 2 cotton fac, (in the vicinity,)
70 dwellings, and about 425 inhabitants.
Waterford, p-t., Washington co., O., 24 n. w. Marietta, 89 e. s.
e. Columbus, 321 W. Situated on both sides of Muskingum r. The
surface is undulating and broken; soil, on the r., fertile. The
v. is situated on Muskingum r., and contains, 2 churches, 2
stores, and, in the vicinity, 3 flouring m., 3 saw m., 2 carding
machines, 2 fulling m., 40 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants.
Pop. of the t. 1,166.
Waterford, p-t., Oakland co., Mich., 32 n. w. Detroit, 556 W.
Watered by numerous small lakes and their outlets. It has 1
store, cap. $3,000; 1 distillery, 2 flouring m. 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac $7,500. Pop. 946.
Waterford, p-v., Gibson co., Tenn., 121 w. by s. Nashville, 804
Waterford, p-v., Fulton co., Ill., 50 n. w. Springfield, 830 W.
It contains 105 inhabitants.
Waterford, p-v., Marshall co., Miss., 184 n. by e. Jackson, 902
Waterford Centre, p-o., Waterford t., Oakland co., Mich.
Waterloo, p-t., and semi-capital, with Ovid, of Seneca co., N.
Y., 17 w. by n. Albany, 346 W. The surface is generally level;
soil, calcareous loam. Watered by Seneca r., along which the
Seneca and Cayuga canal passes. The v. is handsomely situated on
both sides of the outlet of Seneca Lake, which is used as a part
of the Cayuga and Seneca canal. Incorporated in 1824, and
contains a court house, jail, 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, an academy, a bank, 25
stores, 1 woolen fac, consuming 200,000 pounds of wool annually,
5 flouring m., 5 saw m., 2 oil m., 2 pail and tub fac, 2 m. for
cleaning clover seed, 1 plaster m., 1 clothier's works, 1
furnace, 1 machine shop, 1 soap and candle fac, 1 carriage fac,
2 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 boat-yard, 350 dwellings, and
2,600 inhabitants. Here is an extensive water power. The Cayuga
and Seneca canal and the Auburn and Rochester railroad pass
through the place. There are in the t. 10 stores, cap. $5,000; 1
lumber yard, cap. $1,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 furnace,
1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 1 printing office, 1 semi-weekly
newspaper, 1 flouring m., 2 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in
manufactures $71,500. 1 acad. 66 students, 6 sch. 278 scholars.
Waterloo, p-v., Lock t, Juniata co., Pa., 69 n. w. Harrisburg,
125 W. Situated on Tuscarora cr.
Waterloo, p-v., Carroll co., Md., 59 n. n. w. Annapolis, 66 W.
Waterloo, t., Athens co., O. Watered by Racoon cr. It has 2 saw
m. Cap. in manufac $4,700. 3 sch. 39 scholars. Pop. 741.
Waterloo, p-o., Jackson co., Mich.
Waterloo, p-v., Granville co., N. C, 50 n. Raleigh, 266 W.
Waterloo, p-v., Laurens dist., S. C, 79 w. by n. Columbia, 507
W. It contains about 75 inhabitants.
Waterloo, p-v., Lauderdale co., Ala., 160 n. Tuscaloosa, 805 W.
Situated on the n. side of Tennessee r. It contains about 80
Waterloo, p-v., Point Coupee par., La. Situated on Mississippi
r., at the outlet of False r.
Waterloo, p-t., Fayette co., Ia., 5 s. e. Connersville, 61 e. by
s. Indianapolis, 524 W. It has 1 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 926.
Waterloo, p-v., capital of Monroe co., Ill., 115 s. by w.
Springfield, 828 W. Situated on elevated ground, and contains a
brick court house, 2 stores, and about 25 dwellings.
Waterloo, p-v., capital of Clark co., Mo., 186 n. by e.
Jefferson City, 911 W. Situated a little w. of Mississippi r.,
w. of the mouth of Des Moines r., and contains a court house,
jail, and about 75 inhabitants.
Water Street, p-v., Morris t., Huntingdon co., Pa., 100 w.
Harrisburg, 159 W. Situated on Juniata r., a little above
Alexandria, and contains 12 or 14 dwellings.
Watertown, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 7 w. Boston, 433 W. The
surface is moderately uneven; soil, mostly fertile, and under
high cultivation. Drained by Charles r., which affords water
power, and is navigable to this place for vessels requiring 6 or
7 feet of water. It has a pleasant v., and contains 1 Unitarian,
1 Baptist, and 1 Universalist church, a U. States arsenal
containing 40 acres of ground, with several large brick
buildings enclosed by a high fence, on the n. bank of Charles r.
The provincial congress held its sessions here in 1775. First
settled in 1630. There are in the t. 11 stores, cap. $37,800; 2
lumber yards, cap. $9,000; 7 tanneries, 1 paper fac, 1 acad. 30
students, 7 sch. 402 scholars. Pop. 1,810.
Watertown, p-t., Litchfield co., Ct., 42 s. s. w. Hartford, 320
W. The surface is uneven, and in some parts level; soil, dry
gravelly loam, adapted to grazing. Watered by Steel's brook. The
v. contains a Congregational and an Episcopal church. John
Trumbull, the celebrated author of McFingal, was born here.
There are in the t. 4 stores, cap. $21,000; 2 fulling m., 2
tanneries, 2 grist m., 6 saw ra. Cap. in manufac. $10,300. 9
sch. 354 scholars. Pop. 1,442.
Watertown, p-t., capital of Jefferson co., N. Y., 164 n. w.
Albany, 416 W. The surface is moderately uneven; soil, a fertile
sandy loam and clay. Drained by Stony and Sandy creeks. Black r.
runs on its n. boundary, affording an immense water power. The
v. is situated on the s. side of Black r., and is connected by
covered bridges with Williamstown and Juhelville villages on the
opposite side. Incorporated in 1831, and contains a court house
and jail of stone, a state arsenal of brick, a bank, 7 churches,
2 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1
Universalist, and 1 Roman Catholic, 26 stores of different
kinds, various mechanic shops, 700 dwellings, and about 4,000
inhabit-ants. The Black River Literary and Religious Institute
has about 180 students, and is flourishing. An association of
young men for literary and scientific improvement have a library
which is increasing. The r. here has a fall of 88 feet in 1 m.,
with 7 dams and 5 natural cascades. Here are 1 flannel fac, 1
broadcloth and satinet fac, 1 cotton fac, 2 negro cloth fac, 3
carding and clothiers' m., 5 flouring m. and grist m., 1 paper
m., 2 iron furnaces, 3 machine shops, 4 saw m., 2 tanneries, 1
morocco dressing fac, 4 wagon and carriage fac, and various
other mechanical establishments, 1 brewery, and 1 distillery.
There are in the t. 45 stores, cap. $200,000; 3 lumber yards,
cap. 85,000; 5 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 1,000 sp., 4 tanneries,
1 brewery, 1 paper fac, 3 printing offices, 3 weekly newspapers,
4 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $259,500. 19 sch. 1,192 scholars.
Watertown, p-t., Washington co., O., 14 n. w. Marietta, 92 e. s.
e. Columbus, 312 W. Wolf cr. passes through the t., and affords
water power. The soil is fertile and well cultivated. The v.
contains a neat church, 2 stores, 1 oil m., 1 grist m., 1
carding machine, and 126 inhabitants. There are in the t. 10
sch. 489 scholars. Pop. 1,127.
Watertown, p-v., Clinton co., Mich., 112 w. n. w. Detroit, 600
Watertown, p-t., Jefferson co., Wis., 39 e. Madison, 853 W.
Watered by Rock r., on the e. side of which the v. is situated.
It has 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,000. 1 sch. 2S scholars.
Watervale, p-v., Pompey t., Onondaga co., N. Y., 125 w. by n.
Albany, 342 W. It contains 1 store, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m., 1
tannery, 30 dwellings, and about 200 inhabitants.
Water Valley, p-o., Hamburg t., Erie co., N. Y., 303 w. Albany,
Water Village, p-v., Carroll co., N. H, 48 n. e. Concord, 529 W.
Waterville, p-t., Kennebec co., Me., 18 n. Augusta, 613 W.
Kennebec r. bounds it on the e. The soil is fertile and well
cultivated. Incorporated in 1802. The v. is situated at Teconic
falls on the Kennebec, which are 18 feet in height, where is a
bridge across the r. The v. contains 4 churches, an academy, and
various nulls and manufactories. The Kennebec is navigable to
this place from Augusta, for boats of 40 tons. Emerson's stream,
a tributary of the Kennebec has a very high fall, and affords
good water power, where is a flourishing manufacturing v.
Waterville College, under the direction of the Baptists, is
located in this t., was founded in 1820, has a president, and 5
professors or other instructors, 145 alumni, of whom 30 have
been ministers of the gospel, 65 students, and 7,000 vols, in
its libraries. The commencement is on the 1st Wednesday in
August. It has 2 edifices containing rooms for students, a
chapel, and a commons hall. There are in the t. 39 stores, cap.
$129,800; 2 fulling m., 1 college, 94 students, 2 acad. 262
students, 19 sch. 1,274 scholars. Pop. 2,971.
Waterville, p-t., Lamoille co., Vt., 43 n. w. Montpelier, 553 W.
Chartered by the name of Coit's Gore in 1788, by its present
name in 1824, first settled in 1789. The surface is mountainous
and broken; soil, adapted to grazing. Watered by the n. branch
of Lamoille r., which affords water power, and along which is
fertile land. It has 2 stores, cap. $4,000; 2 fulling m., 1
woolen fac, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,750. 6 sch.
200 scholars. Pop. 610.
Waterville, p-v., Sangerfield t., Oneida co., N. Y., 90 w. n. w.
Albany, 372 W. Situated on a branch of Oriskany cr., and
contains 1 Presbyterian, and 1 Baptist church, an academy and
female seminary, a bank, 10 stores, 1 woolen fac, 1 starch fac,
3 grist m., 2 saw m., 2 furnaces, and a machine shop, where
carriage springs are made, ] organ fac, 3 distilleries, 120
dwellings, and about 1,000 inhabitants.
Waterville, p-t., Lucas co., O., 130 n. w. by n. Columbus, 461
W. Watered by a branch of Maumee r. The v. is situated on the n.
side of this r., 6 ms. w. of Perrysburg, and contains 1 store, 1
grist m., 1 carding machine, and 190 inhabitants. Pop. of the
Waterville Corners, p-o., Concord t., Erie co., N. Y., 290 w.
Albany, 360 W.
Watervliet, p-t., Albany co., N. Y., 5 n. Albany, 375 W. The
surface is level or undulating; soil, sandy ridges and swamps,
excepting on Hudson r., where are extensive and fertile flats.
Mohawk r. runs on its N., and Hudson r. on its e. border. It
contains several islands formed by the mouths of the Mohawk. It
has a Shaker settlement, called Niskayuna. The Erie and
Champlain canals separate here, and in the former are many
locks, to overcome the falls of the Cahoes. At West Troy v. is
the Watervliet United States Arsenal. There are in the t. 94
stores, cap. $100,853; 4 lumber yards, cap. $73,000; 3 fulling
m., 3 woolen fac, 2 cotton fac. 5,160 sp., 1 brewery, 4
potteries, 1 paper fac, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 2
flouring m., 10 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac $723,115. 13
sch. 1,600 scholars. Pop. 10,141. (See Troy.)
Watervliet Centre, p-o., Watervliet t., Albany co., N. Y., 12 n.
Albany, 382 W.
Watkins, t, Crawford co., Mo. It has 3 sch. 46 scholars. Pop.
Watkinsville, p-v., Goochland co., Va., 29 w. n. w. Richmond,
Watkinsville, p-v., capital of Clarke co., Ga., 68 n. by w.
Milledgeville, 617 W. Situated at the head of Beaverdam cr., and
contains a court house, jail, an academy, 4 stores, and 25
Watson, p-t., Lewis co., N. Y., 10 n. e. Martinsburgh, 140 n. w.
Albany, 439 W. The sur-face is hilly and mountainous; soil,
sandy loam. Drained by Independence cr., Beaver r., and other
tributaries of Black r., which bounds it on the w. It has 1
store, cap. $300; 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,000. 17 sch. 354
scholars. Pop. 1,707.
Watson's, p-o., Coweta co., Ga., 113 w. by n. Milledgeville, 717
Watsontown. p-v., Northumberland co., Pa , 77 n. by e.
Harrisburg, 187 W.
Watsons Ferry, p-o., Armstrong co., Pa., 187 w. n. w.
Harrisburg, 241 W.
Wattsborough, p-v., Lunenburg co., Va., 116 s. w. Richmond, 232
Wattsburg, p-b., Erie co., Pa., 263 n. w. by w. Harrisburg, 344
W. Situated on French cr., and contains 2 tanneries, 1 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. 81,930. 6 sch. 140 scholars. Pop. 131.
Waugh's Ferry, p-o., Bedford co., Va., 134 w. by s. Richmond,
Waughatchie, p-o., Dade co., Ga., 113 n. w. Milledgeville, 717
Waupun, p-v., Fond du Lac co., Wis., 80 n. e. Madison, 927 W.
Waushara, p-v., Dane co., Wis.
Waverland, p-o., Montgomery co., Ia., 65 w. n. w. Indianapolis,
Waverly, p-o., Pee Pee t., Pike co., O., 60 s. Columbus, 407 W.
Situated on the Ohio canal, and contains about 250 inhabitants.
Waverly, p-v., Humphreys co., Tenn., 60 w. by s. Nashville, 744
Waverly, p-o., Henry co., Mo.
Waverly, p-o., Lowndes co., Miss., 147 n. e. Jackson, 892 W.
Waverly, t., Lincoln co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 40 scholars. Pop.
Waverly Hall, p-o., Harris co., Ga., Ill w. s. w. Milledgeville,
Wawarsing, p-t., Ulster co., N. Y., 22 s. w. Kingston, 82 s. s.
w. Albany, 297 W. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil,
gravelly loam and clay, and fertile. Drained by Rondout cr. and
its tributaries, which afford good water power. Iron ore,
plumbago, and lead are found in the vicinity. It has 17 stores,
cap. $33,600; 5 lumber yards, cap. $2,400; 8 fulling m., 11
woolen fac., 1 cotton fac. 2,136 sp., 6 tanneries, 1 glass
house, 1 pottery, 3 grist m., 45 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$169,750. 20 sch. 924 scholars. Pop. 4,044.
Waxahatchee, p-o., Shelby co., Ala., 83 e. Tuscaloosa, 791 W.
Wayland, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 17 w. Boston, 423 W. The
surface is pleasantly diversified; soil, generally fertile and
well cultivated. Chartered in 1835. Sudbury r. bounds it on the
w. It contains 1 Congregational and 1 Unitarian church. It has 3
stores, cap. $3,400; 1 grist m., 6 sch. 253 scholars. Pop. 998.
Waylandsburg, p-v., Culpepper co., Va., 104 n. n. e. Richmond,
Waymart, p-v., Clinton t., Wayne co., Pa., 166 n. e. Harrisburg,
260 W. Situated on a branch of Laxawaxen cr., and contains about
Wayne, County, N. Y. Situated in the n. part of
the state, and contains 572 sq. ms. The surface is undulating;
soil, clay, sand and gravel, with vegetable mold. Lake Ontario
bounds it on the n. Mud cr. and Canandaigua outlet form Clyde
r., which flows e. to Seneca r. Iron ore, gypsum, marl, and
water lime are found. Sulphur springs are abundant, and some
weak brine springs have been found. Capital, Lyons. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 33.298, sheep 100,986, swine 44,130; wheat
571,083 bush, produced, rye 4,460, Ind. corn 333,356, buckwheat
33,002, barley 25,037, oats 482,900, potatoes 512,710, hops 239
pounds, sugar 159,554; 115 stores, cap. $544,250; 4 furnaces, 1
forge, 11 fulling m., 25 tanneries, 1 rope fac, 6 distilleries,
1 brewery, 2 glass fac, 1 pottery, 12 flouring m., 25 grist m.,
118 saw m., 4 printing offices, 4 weekly newspapers. Cap. in
manufac. $437,913. 8 acad. 475 students, 182 sch. 9,637
scholars. Pop. 42,057.
Wayne, County, Pa. Situated in the n. e. part
of the state, and contains 648 sq. ms. The surface is hilly and
mountainous; soil, generally fertile. Bounded n. e. by Delaware
r. Drained by Lackawaxen creek and its branches, and by small
streams flowing into Delaware r. Capital, Honesdale. There were
in 1810, neat cattle 17,412, sheep 34,371, swine 3,122; wheat
15,210 bush, produced, rye 11,041, Ind. corn 10,323, buckwheat
36,555, barley 3,740, oats 102,140, potatoes 156,702, sugar
9,940 pounds; 28 stores, cap. $36,900; 3 fulling m., 6
tanneries, 1 glass fac, 1 flouring m., 14 grist m., 68 saw m., 1
oil m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac
$312,700. 3 acad. 96 students, 97 sch. 2,424 scholars. Pop.
Wayne, County, N. C. Situated s. e. of the
centre of the state, and contains 720 sq. ms. Drained by Neuse
r. and its branches. Capital, Waynesboro'. There were in 1810,
neat cattle 8,492, sheep 6,269, swine 46,594; wheat 12,744 bush,
produced, rye 1,443, Ind. corn 461,165, oats 8,855, potatoes
90,006, cotton 402,175 pounds; 12 stores, cap. $61,900; 49 grist
m., 25 saw m. Cap. in manufac $300. 4 acad. 129 students, 6 sch.
213 scholars. Pop. whites 6,754, slaves 3,673, free col'd 464;
Wayne, County, Ga. Situated in the s. E. part
of the state, and contains 900 sq. ms. Altamaha r. bounds it on
the n. e. Drained by Santilla r., Little Santilla r., and Turtle
cr. The surface is low, and in some places marshy. Capital Wayne
C. H. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,854, sheep 404, swine
3,933; Ind. corn 16,281 bush, produced, potatoes 15,125, cotton
19,183 pounds, sugar 3,465; 3 stores, cap. $11,500; 1 grist m.,
1 acad. 12 students. Pop. whites 877, slaves 367, free col'd 14;
Wayne, County, Miss. Situated in the e. toward
the s. part of the state, and contains 790 sq. ms.. Drained by
Chickasawha r. and its branches, and by branches of Leaf r. The
surface is moderately uneven; soil, sterile. Capital,
Winchester. 'There were in 1840, neat cattle 10,297, sheep 927,
swine 7,671; Ind. corn 5,323 bush, produced, potatoes 9,134,
cotton 334,689 pounds; 2 stores, cap. $1,500; 1 tannery. Pop.
whites 1,141, slaves 979; total, 2,120.
Wayne, County, Tenn. Situated in the s. toward
the w. part of the state, and contains 504 sq. ms. Drained by
Buffalo r., Shoal cr., and their branches, and other branches of
Tennessee r. The surface is hilly; soil, fertile. Capital,
Waynesboro'. There were in 1840, neat cattle S,490, sheep 5,004,
swine 34,351; wheat 27,406 bush, produced, rye 1,722, Ind. corn
426,360, buckwheat 1,722, oats 32,718, potatoes 6,982, tobacco
17,518 pounds, cotton 39,382, sugar 6,754; 9 stores, cap.
$43,800; 1 furnace, 1 forge, 1 tannery, 19 distilleries, 17
grist m., 2 saw m., 1 pottery. Cap. in manufac. $10,575. 1 sch.
29 scholars. Pop. whites 7,151, slaves 529, free col'd 25;
Wayne, County, Ky. Situated in the s. toward
the e. part of the state, and contains 570 sq. ms. Cumberland r.
bounds it on the n., by the s. fork of which and its branches,
and by Beaver cr., it is drained. Capital, Monticello. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 18,022, sheep 15.382, swine 46,016;
wheat 48,888 bush, produced, rye 7,408, Ind. corn 752,904, oats
86,405, potatoes 12,270, tobacco 5,060 pounds, cotton 3,000,
sugar 3,550; 18 stores, cap. $44,000; 2 tanneries, 11
distilleries, 3 flouring m., 16 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 oil m.
Cap. in manufac. $9,265. 7 sch. 172 scholars. Pop. whites 6,754,
slaves 630 free col'd 15; total, 7,399.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!