American History and Genealogy Project

Wayne County, OH to Wesley, ME

Page 709

Wayne, County, O. Situated n. e. of the centre of the state, and contains 660 sq. ma. Organized in 1808. The surface is rolling, and in some places level; soil, fertile, especially on the streams. Watered by Killbuck r., and Chippewa and Sugar creeks, and Lake fork of Mohiccan cr. Capital, Wooster. There were in 1840, neat cattle 20,614, sheep 48,568, swine 55,899; wheat 753,621 bush, produced, rye 49,668, Ind. corn 395.030, barley 2,104, oats 542,965, potatoes 132,003, sugar 177,092 pounds; 68 stores, cap. $128,925; 4 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 27 tanneries, 7 distilleries, 3 breweries, 1 pottery, 23 flouring m., 17 grist m., 81 saw m., 6 oil m., 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $110,280. 1 acad. 25 students, 10 sch. 278 scholars Pop. 35,808.

Wayne, County, Mich. Situated in the s. e. part of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. Drained by Rouge and Huron rivers and their branches, flowing into Detroit r., which bounds it on the s. E. The surface is level or undulating; soil, clay, with some sandy loam. Rouge r. and its branches afford water power. Limestone, iron ore, and sulphur springs are found. Capital, Detroit. There were in 1840, neat cattle 14,574, sheep 10,181, swine 17,092; wheat 89,769 bush, produced, rye 5,575, Ind. corn 138,739, barley 4,975, oats 94,981, potatoes 204,313, sugar 122,667 pounds; 11 com. houses, cap. $123,000; 141 stores, cap. $453,000; 5 furnaces, 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 2 breweries, 3 potteries, 8 flouring m., 3 grist m., 28 saw m., 3 printing offices, 3 daily, and 4 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $275,810. 1 college, 30 students, 1 acad. 40 students, 72 sch. 3,097 scholars. Pop. 24,173.

Wayne, County, Ia. Situated in the e. part of the state, and contains 420 sq. ms. Organized in 1810. The surface is moderately uneven; soil, very fertile. Drained by branches of Whitewater r., which afford good water power. Capital, Centreville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 13,768, sheep 28,173, swine 35,413; wheat 124,705 bush, produced, rye 2,938, Ind. corn 882,477, barley 4,115, oats 284,437, potatoes 21,412, sugar 66,116 pounds; 63 stores, cap. $231,150; 3 furnaces, 4 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 14 tanneries, 14 distilleries, 1 brewery, 3 potteries, 10 flouring m., 37 grist m., 41 saw m., 3 oil m., 1 paper fac, 3 printing offices, 3 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $188,599. 6 acad. 315 students, 51 sch. 2,079 scholars. Pop. 23,292.

Wayne, County, Ill. Situated toward the s. E. part of state, and contains 720 sq. ms. Drained by Little Wabash r., and Skillet fork of the same, and by Elm cr. The surface is interspersed with prairie and woodland; soil, moderately good. Flat-boats go down the Little Wabash to New Orleans. Capital, Fairfield. There were in 1840, neat cattle 7,801, sheep 5,163, swine 19,713; wheat 17,515 bush, produced, rye 1,443, Ind. corn 247,880, oats 60,471, potatoes 10,997, tobacco 60,610 pounds, cotton 7,784, sugar 1,345; 10 stores, cap. $75,500; 4 tanneries, 5 flouring m., 7 grist m., 4 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac $13,718. 15 sch. 372 scholars. Pop. 5,133.

Wayne, County, Mo. Situated in the s. e. part of the state, and contains 1,200 sq. ms. St. Francis r. runs on its e. border, and passes through its n. part. Drained by Big Black r., a branch of White r. Capital, Greenville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,849, sheep 3,084, swine 25,871; wheat 12,949 bush, produced, Ind. corn 160,165, oats 20,980, potatoes 3,478, tobacco 22,434 pounds, cotton 6,849, sugar 23,224; 17 stores, cap. $22,340; 1 tannery, 8 distilleries, 15 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,330. 13 sch. 234 scholars. Pop. whites 3,069, slaves 223, free col'd 12; total, 3,403.

Wayne, p-t., Kennebec co., Me., 15 w. Augusta, 595 W. The surface is undulating; soil, fertile, adapted to grain. Androscoggin Great Pond lies in its s. w. part, and flows into Androscoggin r. Incorporated in 1798. It has 5 stores, cap. $13,200; 1 fulling m., 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,575. 1 acad. 13 students, 9 sch. 445 scholars. Pop. 1,201.

Wayne, p-t., Steuben co., N. Y., 198 w. by s. Albany, 316 W. The surface is generally level, but moderately hilly in the n. part; soil, clay and loam, adapted to grain. Watered by Crooked Lake on the w., and Little and Mud Lake in the centre. The v. contains 1 Methodist church, 2 stores, 1 furnace, 20 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants. There are in the t. 3 stores, capital $8,000; 1 tannery, 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac $5,750. 10 sch. 522 scholars. Pop. 1,377.

Wayne, t., Clinton co., Pa. It has 1 saw m Pop. 307.

Wayne, p-t., Erie co., Pa., 250 n. w. Harrisburg, 335 W. The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Drained by French cr. and a branch of Broken Straw cr. It has 1 store, cap. $300; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,050. 5 sch. 225 scholars. Pop. 738.

Wayne, t., Crawford co., Pa. Watered by Sugar r. flowing from Sugar Lake, which is about 1 m. in circumference. It has 2 stores, 1 tannery, 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,075. 4 sch. 74 scholars. Pop. 723.

Wayne, t., Greene co., Pa., 15 s. w. Waynesburg. The surface is hilly; soil, loam. Drained by Dunkards cr. and its tributaries. It has 1 tannery, 1 flouring m. Cap. in manufac. $1,100. 7 sch. 168 scholars. Pop. 938.

Wayne, t., Mifflin co., Pa. Watered by Juniata r. Blue Ridge runs on its e. boundary. It contains Waynesburg v. on the Pa. canal, and Hamiltonville v. in its s. part. It has 4 stores, cap. $20,500; 1 fulling m., 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,005. 8 sch. 227 scholars. Pop. 1,350.

Wayne, t., Schuylkill co., Pa. It has 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 24 saw m. Cap. in manufac $3,900. Pop. 1,621.

Wayne, p-t., Ashtabula co., O., 197 n. e. Columbus, 320 W. Drained by branches of Venango and Musquito creeks. It has 5 sch. 191 scholars. Pop. 767.

Wayne, t., Adams co., O. Drained by branches of w. fork of Brush cr. It has 3 stores, capital $3,550; 1 flouring m., 1 saw m. Pop. 854.

Wayne, t., Allen co., O. Drained by a head branch of Scioto r. It has 1 sch. 23 scholars. Pop. 404.

Wayne, t., Belmont co., O. Watered by Captina cr., which affords water power. The surface is hilly; soil, generally productive in wheat, Indian corn, and tobacco. Pop. 1,734.

Wayne, t., Butler co., O. Watered by Elk cr. and its branches, and by branches of St. Clair cr. It has 3 sch. 93 scholars. Pop. 1,426.

Wayne, t., Champaign co., O. Drained e. by branches of Little Darby cr., and w. by branches of Mad r. It has 1 store, 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 2 saw m., 4 sch. 98 scholars. Pop. 1,300.

Wayne, t., Clermont co., O. Drained by Stone Lick fork of Little Miami r. It has 3 stores, cap. $1,350; 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 4 sch. 160 scholars. Pop. 976.

Wayne, t., Clinton co., O. Watered by Paint cr. It has 1 store, cap. $845; 3 grist m., 6 sch. 523 scholars. Pop. 1,366.

Wayne, t., Columbiana co., O. Drained by branches of Little Beaver cr. It has 6 sch. 230 scholars. Pop. 812.

Page 709

Wayne, t., Darke co., O. Drained by a branch of Loramie cr. Pop. 732.

Wayne, t., La Fayette co., O. Drained by Paint cr. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,400. 14 sch. 350 scholars. Pop. 1,540.

Wayne, t., Jefferson co., O. Drained by Cross cr., which flows into the Ohio r. It has 2 stores, cap. $3,900; 2 tanneries, 2 flouring m., 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,900. 6 sch. 320 scholars. Pop. 1,746.

Wayne, t, Knox co., O. Drained by Vernon r. and its branches. It has 8 sch. 255 scholars. Pop. 1,276.

Wayne, t., Mercer co., O. Pop. 377.

Waynesfield, t., Lucas co., O. It has 2 sch. 31 scholars. Pop. 450.

Wayne, t., Montgomery co., O. Miami r. bounds it on the w., by branches of which and of Mad r. it is drained. It has 5 sch. 178 scholars. Pop. 1,045.

Wayne, t,., Monroe co., O. Drained by head branches of Little Muskingum r. It has 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop. 684.

Wayne, t, Muskingum co., O. Pop. 1,276.

Wayne, t., Warren co., O. Watered by Little Miami r. and its branches. It has 8 sch. 636 scholars. Pop. 3,392.

Wayne, t, Pickaway co., O. Watered by Scioto r. The Ohio canal passes through it, on which is Montgomery v. It has 1 flouring m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,500. 1 sch. 95 scholars. Pop. 779.

Wayne, t., Tuscarawas co., O. Organized in 1810. It has 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 distilleries, 4 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,100. 13 sch. 844 scholars. Pop. 2,142.

Wayne, t., Cass co., Mich. It has 1 tannery, 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,190. Pop. 335. Wayne, t, Allen co., Ia. It has 5 sch. 210 scholars. Pop. 2,080.

Wayne, t., Bartholomew co., Ia. It has 1 sch. 80 scholars. Pop. 954.

Wayne, t., Hamilton co., Ia. Pop. 798.

Wayne, t, Henry co., Ia. It has 4 sch. 92 scholars. Pop. 1,768.

Wayne, t., Marion co., Ia. It has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 1 tannery, 3 distilleries, 6 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,800. 9 sch. 227 scholars. Pop. 1,959.

Wayne, t., Montgomery co., Ia. It has 1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop. 603.

Wayne, t., Noble co., Ia. It has 1 saw m., 1 sch. 10 scholars. Pop. 148.

Wayne, t., Owen co., Ia. It has 3 sch. 90 scholars. Pop. 834.

Wayne, t., Randolph co., Ia. It has 1 store, cap. $500; 1 grist m., 3 saw m., 2 sch. 30 scholars. Pop. 661.

Wayne, t., Wayne co., Ia. It has 4 sch. 273 scholars. Pop. 2,412.

Waynesborough, p-b., Washington t., Franklin co., Pa., 55 w. s. w. Harrisburg, 80 W. It contains 2 churches, 1 common to Presbyterians and Lutherans, and 1 German Reformed, 1 acad. 24 students, 1 sch. 42 scholars, 150 dwellings, and about 799 inhabitants. The country around it is productive.

Waynesborough, p-v., Augusta co., Va., 30 w. by n. Charlottesville, 105 w. n. w. Richmond, 147 W. Situated at the w. foot of the Blue Ridge, on South r., and contains 2 churches, an academy, a public library, several mills, extensive manufacturing establishments, and about 80 dwellings.

Waynesborough, p-v., capital of Wayne co., N. C., 51 s. e. Raleigh, 281 W. Situated on the n. side of Neuse r., immediately below the mouth of Little r., and contains a court house, jail, and about 325 inhabitants.

Waynesborough, p-v., capital of Burke co., Ga., 82 e. Milledgeville, 605 W. Situated on a branch of Brier cr., and contains a court house, jail, an academy, 2 churches, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist, 6 stores, and 30 dwellings.

Waynesborough, p-v., capital of Wayne co., Tenn., 99 s. w. Nashville, 776 W. Situated on the w. side of Green r., a branch of Buffalo r., and contains a court house, jail, and about 75 inhabitants.

Waynesburg, p-b., Franklin t., Greene co., Pa., 222 w. by s. Harrisburg, 229 W. Situated near the n. bank of Ten Mile cr., 12 ms. from its mouth. Incorporated in 1816, and contains a court house of brick, a jail of stone, an academy, 3 churches, one of brick, 1 of stone, and 1 of wood, 9 stores, 4 tanneries, 1 brewery, and about 90 dwellings, many of them of brick or hewn stone.

Waynesburg, p-v., Sandy t., Starke co., O., 131 n. e. Columbus, 308 W. Situated on Sandy cr. and on the line of the Sandy and Beaver canal, and contains 1 church, 9 stores, 4 warehouses, 20 mechanic shops, 2 tanneries, 1 brewery, 75 dwellings, and about 450 inhabitants. In the vicinity are 1 flouring m. and 2 saw m., and other manufacturing establishments.

Waynesburg, p-v., Lincoln co., Ky., 67 s. s. e. Frankfort, 578 W. Situated on a branch of Buck cr., and contains about 30 inhabitants.

Waynesville, p-v., capital of Haywood co., N. C, 29 w. by s. Raleigh, 524 W. Situated on a branch of Big Pigeon r., which flows into French Broad r. It contains a court house, jail, and 100 inhabitants.

Waynesville, p-v., Wayne co., Ga., 247 s. e. Milledgeville, 756 W. It contains an academy and about 150 inhabitants.

Waynesville, p-v., Warren co., O., 10 n. e. Lebanon. Situated on Little Miami r., and contains a large Friends church, 90 dwellings, and about 550 inhabitants. Inhabited chiefly by Friends.

Waynesville, p-v., McLean co., 111., 55 n. e. Springfield, 751 W. Situated on the s. side of Kickapoo cr., and contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, 8 stores, and about 200 inhabitants.

Waynesville, p-v., capital of Pulaski co., Mo., 70 s. Jefferson City, 985 W. Situated on the e. side of Gasconade r., and contains a court house, jail, and about 125 inhabitants.

Waynetown, p-v., Montgomery co., Ia., 55 w. n. w. Indianapolis, 626 W. Situated on the s. side of Coal cr., a branch of Wabash r.

Wea, p-v., Tippecanoe co., Ia., 60 n. w. Indianapolis, 631 W.

Weakly, County, Tenn. Situated in the n. w. part of the state, and contains 680 sq. ms. Drained by numerous branches of Obion r., which flows into Mississippi r. Capital, Dresden. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,931, sheep 5,882, swine 24,085; wheat 44,229 bush, produced, rye 1,240, Indian corn 454,248, oats 64,421, potatoes 22,849, tobacco 462,936 pounds, cotton 24,167; 11 stores, cap. $77,000; 2 tanneries, 6 distilleries, 2 flouring m., 10 grist m., 9 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $32,950. 4 acad. 117 students, 14 sch. 295 scholars. Pop. whites 8,072, slaves 1,796, free col'd 2; total, 9,870.

Page 710

Weare, p-t, Hillsboro' co., N. H., 14 s. w. Concord, 475 W. The surface is uneven and rough; soil, well cultivated. Drained by a branch of Piscataquog r., which affords water power. Incorporated in 1764. It has 5 stores, cap. $8,200; 4 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 764 sp., 4 tanneries, 7 grist m., 12 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $48,593. 1 acad. 50 students, 26 sch. 734 scholars. Pop. 2,375.

Weare's Bridge, p-v., Belknap co., N. H., 34 n. e. Concord, 515 W.

Wear's Cove, p-o., Sevier co., Tenn., 217 e. by s. Nashville, 509 W.

Weathersfield, p-t., Windsor co., Vt., 74 s. Montpelier, 464 W. Bounded e. by Connecticut r. Watered by Black r., which affords water power. The surface is moderately uneven; soil, fertile, adapted to grazing. It has fine meadows on Connecticut r. and on Black r. Chartered m 1761. Organized in 1778. It contains 3 churches, 2 Congregational and 1 Methodist. Perkinsville is a flourishing manufacturing v., situated in the s. w. part of the t., and contains 2 churches and a woolen fac. There are in the t. 6 stores, cap. $19,200; 3 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $48,383. 12 sch. 703 scholars. Pop. 2,081.

Weathersfield, t., Trumbull co., O., 7 s. E. Warren. Watered by Mahoning r., along which passes the Pa. and O. canal. It contains 2 stores, 1 forge, 1 furnace, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 9 sch. 500 scholars. Pop. 1,447.

Weaversville, p-v., Allen t., Northampton co., Pa., 100 e. n. e. Harrisburg, 193 W. It contains 1 store, 1 mill, 1 tannery, and 8 or 10 dwellings.

Webbs, p-o., Newton co., Ga., 71 n. w. Milledgeville, 658 W.

Webb's Farm, p-o., Marion co., Ia., 10 Indianapolis, 579 W.

Webb's Ford, p-o., Rutherford co., N. C, 215 w. by s. Raleigh, 452 W.

Webb's Mills, p-o., Wood co., Va., 214 w. n. w. Richmond, 283 W.

Webster, p-t., Lincoln co., Me., 31 s. Augusta, 574 W. It has 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,625. 12 sch. 405 scholars. Pop. 1,134.

Webster, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 56 w. s. w. Boston, 394 W. French r., a branch of Quinnebaug r., runs on its w. border, and affords water power. It has a large pond in its s. part, 3 ms. long, the outlet of which flows n. w. into French r., and affords water power. The v. contains 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist church, and several manufactories. A remnant of the Nipmuck Indians reside here. There are in the t. 4 stores, cap. $8,000; 1 woolen fac, 5 cotton fac. 9,100 sp., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $198,600. 4 sch. 278 scholars. Pop. 1,403.

Webster, p-t, Monroe co., N. Y., 214 w. by N. Albany, 371 W. The surface is generally level or slightly undulating; soil, sand and gravelly loam. Drained by small creeks flow-ing into Lake Ontario, which bounds it on the n. It has 2 stores, cap. $9,000; 15 sch. 747 scholars. Pop. 2,235.

Webster, p-t., Washtenaw co., Mich., 49 w. by s. Detroit, 542 W. The soil is fertile, adapted to grain. Portage lake lies in its n. w. part. Drained by Huron r. It has several ponds.

Weedsport, p-v., Brutus t., Cayuga co., N. Y., 7 n. Auburn, 155 w. Albany, 341 W. Situated on the Erie canal. Incorporated in 1831, and contains 2 churches, 8 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 120 dwellings, and about 800 inhabitants.

Weehadlee, p-o., Randolph co., Ala., 185 e. Tuscaloosa, 755 W.

Week's Mills, p-o., Kennebec co., Me., 13 Augusta, 608 W.

Weewakaville, p-v., Talladega co., Ala., 107 e. Tuscaloosa, 770 W.

Weissenburg, t., Lehigh co., Pa., 72 e. by n. Harrisburg, 180 W. The surface is hilly and broken; soil, gravelly. Watered by Jordan cr. and its tributaries, Willow run and Linn run. It contains 2 churches, and has 2 stores, capital $8,500; 4 tanneries, 15 distilleries, 6 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac $2,700. 4 sch. Ill scholars. Pop. 1,427.

Weisesburg, p-v., Baltimore co., Md., 55 n. Annapolis, 65 W.

Welborn, t., Conway co., Ark. It has 1 acad. 22 students. Pop. 683.

Welche's Mills, p-o., Cabarrus co., N. C, 151 w. by s. Raleigh, 388 W.

Weld, p-t., Franklin co., Me., 47 w. n. w. Augusta, 624 W. It contains a large pond near its centre, into which several streams flow, and the outlet of which forms a considerable r., flowing into Androscoggin r. The surface is diversified; soil, fertile, adapted to grain. It has 1 store, cap, $2,000; 1 tannery, 3 grist m., 4 saw. Cap. in manufac $6,425. 11 sch. 425 scholars. Pop. 1,045.

Weldon, p-v., Halifax co., N. C, 95 n. e. Raleigh, 204 W. Situated on the s. w. side of Roanoke r., at the great falls, 12 ms. above Halifax. It contains about 150 inhabitants. Below the falls the r. is navigable to Albemarle Sound. There is a canal above this place around the falls, 12 ms. long, with a lockage of 100 feet. Above the falls, the Roanoke is made boatable to Stanton r., over 200 ms.

Wellborn's Mills, p-o., Hanston co., Ga., 52 s. w. Milledgeville, 700 W.

Wellersburg, p-v., Somerset co., Pa., 128 w. by s. Harrisburg, 145 W.

Wellfleet, p-t., Barnstable co., Mass., 105 s. E. Boston, 506 W. Situated on Cape Cod, extending across it, about halfway from the elbow to the n. point. Bounded e. by the Atlantic and w. by Cape Cod bay. The soil is sandy and unproductive. The v. is on the w. side of the Cape, and has a good harbor on a bay which sets up from Cape Cod bay, protected by several islands at its mouth. It is surrounded by sand hills, and contains 2 Congregational churches. It has considerable shipping employed in the coasting trade and the cod and mackerel fisheries, which employ most of the inhabitants. Salt is extensively manufactured. It has 15 stores, cap. $19,400; 2 lumber yards, cap. $2,200; 1 tannery, 2 grist m. Cap. in manufac. $4,150. 10 sch. 640 scholars. Pop. 2,377.

Wellington, p-t., Piscataquis co., Me., 62 n. by e. Augusta, 657 W. A branch of Sebasticook r. crosses its s. w. corner. The surface is undulating; soil, productive. Pop. 722.

Wellington, p-o., Camillus t, Onondaga co., N. Y., 144 w. by n. Albany, 352 W.

Wellington, p-t, Lorain co., O., 101 n. n. e. Columbus, 370 W. Drained by branches of Black r. It has 3 sch. 90 scholars. Pop. 781.

Wellington, p-o., Desha co., Ark., 133 s. e. Little Rock, 1,071 W.

Wellington, p-v., La Fayette co., Mo., 144 w. n. w. Jefferson City, 1,058 W. Situated on the s. bank of the Missouri r.

Wells, County, Ia. Situated in the e. toward the n. part of the state, and contains 372 sq. ms. Organized in 1837. Wabash r. runs centrally through it, and affords good water power. There were in 1810, neat cattle 1,554, sheep 531, swine 3,466; wheat 4,746 bush, produced, Ind. corn 48,381, oats 3,911, potatoes 6,827, sugar 7,519 pounds; 4 stores, cap. $5,650; 1 tannery, 1 saw ra. Cap. in manufac. $3,520. 1 sch. 25 scholars. Fop. 1,822.

Page 711

Wells, r., Vt., rises in a pond in the s. w. part of Groton, and running about 2 ms., enters Long Pond, which is about 2 ms. long and 100 rods wide, and thence pursues a s. e. course, until its enters Connecticut r., in the n. e. part of Newbury. It is a rapid stream and affords good water power. Connecticut r. is navigable to the mouth of this r., where is a v.

Wells, p-t., York co., Me., 30 s. w. by s. Portland, 79 s. w. by s. Augusta, 513 W. Bounded s. e. by the Atlantic, into which several small streams flow, affording water power. The soil is indifferent, containing extensive salt marsh. It has a harbor, which admits small vessels, at the mouth of a r. It has some vessels employed in the coasting and West India trade, and some ship building. It has 13 stores, cap. $7,650; 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 4 grist m., 16 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $600. 21 sch. 1,215 scholars. Pop. 2,978.

Wells, p-t., Rutland co., Vt., 83 s. s. w. Montpelier, 438 W. It contains Lake Austin, a large pond partly in Poultney, 5 ms. long, and in some places II ms. wide, covering 2,000 acres. The outlet affords water power, and flows into Pawlet r. First settled in 1771, organized in 1773. It contains 3 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist, and 1 Union. There is a small v. at the outlet of the pond, which contains a church, a store, and several mechanic shops and dwellings. There are in the t. 1 store, cap. $2,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $7,700. 8 sch. 224 scholars. Pop. 740.

Wells, p-t., Hamilton co., N. Y., 69 n. n. w. Albany, 438 W. The surface is various; soil, adapted to grazing and summer crops. Drained by Sacondaga r. It has 1 store, cap. $1,000; 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,700. 3 sch. 90 scholars. Pop. 365.

Wells, t., Bradford co., Pa. The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly loam. Drained by South cr. and its tributaries, and by a branch of Seely cr. flowing into Tioga r. in N. Y. It has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $6,250. 8 sch. 355 scholars. Pop. 873.

Wells, t., Jefferson co., O. Ohio r. runs on its s. e. border. Drained by a branch of Cross cr. and by small streams flowing into the Ohio. It has 1 store, cap. $700; 1 lumber yard, cap. $2,000; 2 distilleries, 6 fulling m. 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $19,400. 7 sch. 450 scholars. Pop. 1,492.

Wells, t., Macon co., Mo. Pop. 680.

Wellsborough, p-v., capital of Tioga co., Pa., 145 n. by w. Harrisburg, 259 W. Situated on Crooked cr., 3 ms. from the navigable waters of Pine cr. It contains a court house, jail, an academy, 4 stores, several mechanic shops, 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 printing office, and about 50 dwellings.

Wellsburg, p-v., capital of Brooke co., Va., 16 n. by e. Wheeling, 344 n. w. Richmond, 205 W. Situated on the e. side of Ohio r., at the mouth of Buffalo cr., and contains a court house, jail, county offices, a market house, a bank, an academy, the Jefferson seminary, a female seminary, 4 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist, and 1 Disciples, 250 dwellings, and about 2,000 inhabitants. It has various mills and manufactories, and is surrounded by inexhaustible beds of bituminous coal.

Wells Corners, p-o., Minisink t., Orange co., N. Y., 115 s. s. w. Albany, 275 W.

Wells River, p-o., Orange co., Vt., 38 e. s. e. Montpelier, 524 W. Situated at the v., at the mouth of Wells r.

Wellsville, p-v., Scio t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 270 w. by s. Albany, 316 W. Situated on the e. side of Genesee r., and contains 3 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 35 dwellings, and about 250 inhabitants.

Wellsville, p-v., Yellow Creek t., Columbiana co., O., 51 e. n. e. Columbus, 272 W. Situated on the n. bank of Ohio r., at the mouth of Little Yellow cr., and contains 3 forwarding and commission houses, 1 wholesale grocery, several stores, 1 steam saw m., 1 steam flouring m., 1 air furnace, and a boatyard. Two steam-packets ply daily to Pittsburg, and a mail steamboat plies daily to Wheeling. The annual exportation of flour exceeds 30,000 barrels, and the trade with the interior is extensive. Pop. 759.

Wellwood. p-v., Haywood co., Tenn., 154 w. s. w. Nashville, 839 W.

Welshfield, p-o., Geauga co., O., 160 n. e. Columbus, 326 W.

Welsh Run, p-o., Montgomery t., Franklin co., Pa., 67 w. s. w. Harrisburg, 80 W. This stream is a tributary of the w. branch of Conecocheague creek.

Welsh's Creek, p-o., Butler co., Ky., 131 s. w. Frankfort, 673 W.

Wendell, p-t., Sullivan co., N. H., 44 n. w. Concord, 479 W. More than one half of Sunapee Lake, which contains 4,095 acres, lies in this t. It forms the principal source of Sugar r. Incorporated in 1781. It has 2 grist m., 2 saw m., 6 sch. 300 scholars. Pop. 795.

Wendell, p-t., Franklin co., Mass., 78 w. by n. Boston, 408 W. The surface is uneven and hilly; soil, fertile. Bounded N. by Miller's r., which affords water power. It contains a Congregational and a Baptist church. Incorporated in 1781. It has 3 stores, cap. $4,100; 1 grist m. 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,525. Pop. 875.

Wenham, p-t., Essex co., Mass., 20 n. by e. Boston, 460 W. Wenham pond, a beautiful sheet of water, lies on its s. border, from which flows a branch of Ipswich r. It contains 1 Congregational and 1 Baptist church. Incorporated in 1643, when it was called Enon, from its vicinity to Salem, and the fine water of its pond. It has 1 store, cap. $850. Cap. in manufac. $2,800. 4 sch. 120 scholars. Pop. 689.

Wenlock, t., Essex co., Vt., 53 n. e. Montpelier. Chartered in 1761, but is unorganized, and contains but a few families. Watered by a branch of Nulhegan r. 1,200 pounds of sugar were manufactured in 1840. The surface is elevated and mountainous. Pop. 28.

Wentworth, p-t., Grafton co., N. H., 56 n. n. w. Concord, 517 W. Watered by Baker's r. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, fertile, especially on the streams. Limestone and iron ore are found. Chartered in 1766. It has 3 stores, cap. $8,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $11,380. 10 sch. 306 scholars. Pop. 1,119.

Wentworth, p-v., capital of Rockingham co., N. C, 116 n. w. Raleigh, 285 W. Situated on a branch of Dan r. It contains a court house, jail, and about 100 inhabitants.

Wert's Grove, p-o., Franklin co., O., 12 Columbus, 397 W.

Wesaw, t., Berrien co., Mich. It has 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,000. 2 sch. 45 scholars. Pop. 142.

Wesley, p-t., Washington co., Me., 169 e. Augusta, 751 W. It has 1 grist m., 1 saw m., 2 sch. 119 scholars. Pop. 255.

Table of Contents

Source: A Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith, 1843

This book is a joint project between members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and Susan Dorris our finder!

Please Come Back Again!!

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work