West Union, OH to White, County, IN
West Union, p-v., Tiffin t., capital of Adams co., O., 106 s.
Columbus, 443 W. It contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist
church, a market house, a stone court house, jail, county
offices, 8 stores, various mechanic shops, 1 printing office,
issuing a weekly newspaper, and about 500 inhabitants.
West Union, p-v., Knox co., Ia., 108 s. w. Indianapolis, 679 W.
West Urbana, p-o., Urbana t., Steuben co., N. Y., 215 w. by s.
Albany, 311 W.
West Vermilion, p-o., Vermilion t., Huron co., O., 115 n. by e.
Columbus, 395 W.
West Vienna, p-o., Vienna t., Oneida co., N. Y., 125 w. n. w.
Albany, 383 W.
Westville, p-v., Hampden t., New Haven co., Ct., 39 w. s. w.
Hartford, 303 W. It is a manufacturing v., situated on Wapowang
r., and contains a Methodist church.
Westville, p-v., Westford t, Otsego co., N. Y., 68 w. by s.
Albany, 383 W. It has 1 Baptist church, 2 stores, 1 grist m., 2
saw m., and about 20 dwellings.
Westville, t., Franklin co., N. Y., 8 n. w. Malone, 220 n. by w.
Albany. The surface is level; soil, sandy loam. Drained by
Salmon r. It has 2 stores, cap. $18,000; 1 grist m., 3 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $6,645. 6 sch. 355 scholars. Pop. 1,028.
Westville, p-v., Mad River t., Champaign co., O., 50 w.
Columbus, 444 W.
Westville, p-v., capital of Simpson county, Miss., 55 Jackson,
1,024 W. Situated a little s. of Strong r., a branch of Pearl r.
It contains a court house and about 100 inhabitants.
Westville, v., Smith t., Columbiana co., O., Pop. 63.
Westville, v., Yellow Creek t., Columbiana co., O. It has 2
sch., 305 scholars. Population, 759.
West Vincent, t., Chester co., Pa., 30 n. w. Philadelphia. The
surface is hilly; soil, sandy loam. Watered by Stony, French,
and Ring creeks. It has 5 stores, cap. $10,500; 1 tannery, 4
grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,377. 5 sch. 175 scholars.
West Walworth, p-o., Walworth t., Wayne co., N. Y.
West Wareham, p-v., Wareham t., Plymouth co., Mass., 49 s. s. e.
Boston, 442 W. Situated on a small stream which enters a branch
of Buzzards bay, and contains several manufacturing settlements.
West Waterville, p-v., Waterville t., Kennebec co., Me., 19 n.
Augusta, 613 W. Situated on Emerson stream, which flows into
Kennebec r., and has here a high cascade, affording good water
West Whiteland, p-t., Chester co., Pa., 72 Harrisburg, 121 W.
The surface is level; soil, calcareous loam. Drained by Southern
Valley cr., which affords water power. It has 4 stores, cap.
$105,000; 1 tannery, 1 fulling m., 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $15,410. 4 sch. 149 scholars. Pop. 1,085.
West Winchester, p-v., Winchester t, Cheshire co., N. H., 67 s.
w. Concord, 420 W. It is a manufacturing v., situated on
West Windham, p-o., Windham t., Rockingham co., N. H, 37 s. by
e. Concord, 457 W.
West Windham, p-v., Windham t., Bradford co., Pa., 152 n. by e.
Harrisburg, 263 W.
West Winfield, p-o., Winfield t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 78 n. w.
Albany, 373 W.
West Windsor, p-o., Windsor t., Broome co., N. Y., 132 s. w.
Albany, 304 W.
West Windsor, t., Mercer co., N. J. It has 2 stores, cap.
$1,700; 2 distilleries, 2 grist m., 1 91 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$6,620. 3 sch. 87 scholars. Pop. 1,536.
West Windsor, p-o., Richland co., O., 67 n. n. e. Columbus, 352
West Woodstock, p-o., Woodstock t., Windham co., Ct., 39 n. e.
Hartford, 375 W.
West Woodville, p-v., Clermont co., O., 89 s. w. Columbus, 462
West Worthington, p-o., Worthington t., Hampshire co., Mass.,
115 w. Boston, 391 W.
West Wrentham, p-o., Wrentham t., Nor-folk co., Mass., 36 s. s.
w. Boston, 424 W. Situated on a branch of Charles r.
West Yarmouth, p-v., Yarmouth t., Barnstable co., Mass., 80 s.
e. Boston, 481 W. It contains a Congregational and a Methodist
West Zanesville, t., Muskingum co., O. It has 1 sch. 49
scholars. Pop. 279.
Wethersfield, p-t., Hartford co., Ct., 4 s. Hartford, 336 W. The
surface is undulating; soil, sandy, gravelly, and argillaceous
loam, and very fertile. Connecticut r. bounds it on the e., on
which are extensive and highly productive meadows. The v. is
beautifully situated on the w. side of Connecticut r., in the n.
e. part of the t., and contains 3 churches, 1 Congregational, 1
Baptist, and 1 Methodist, an academy, a female seminary, several
stores, and a number of dwellings, many of them handsome, and
the Connecticut state's prison. The streets are broad, and
beautifully shaded with elms. The state prison contains
apartments for the Warden, 200 cells for convicts, and 2 ranges
of workshops, the whole enclosed by a wall 20 feet high. The v.
of Rocky Hill or Stepney, is in the s. part of the t. on
Connecticut r., where is a convenient landing. It contains a
Congregational church, and has some navigation. The v. of
Newington, in the w. part of the t., contains a Congregational
and a Methodist church. There are in the t. 9 stores, cap.
$19,575; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $157,033. 1 acad. 56 students, 13 sch. 832 scholars.
Wethersfield, p-t., Wyoming co., N. Y., 258 w. Albany, 361 W.
The surface is rolling; soil, sandy and clay loam, adapted to
grass. Drained by Tonewanda and Wiskoy creeks. It has 4 stores,
cap. $24,000; 3 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2 grist
m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $24,300. 9 sch. 560 scholars. Pop.
Wethersfield, p-t., Trumbull co., O., 169 n. e. Columbus, 298 W.
Drained by Mahoning r. The Pennsylvania and Ohio canal passes
through it. It has 9 sch. 500 scholars. Pop. 1,447.
Wethersfield, p-v., Henry co., 111. Situated on a branch of
Wethersfield Springs, p-v., Wethersfield t., Wyoming co., N. Y.,
258 w. Albany, 363 W. It contains 3 churches, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Episcopal, and 1 Methodist, 2 stores, 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery,
25 dwellings, and 150 inhabitants. A spring here affords water
sufficient to propel the factory.
Wetumpka, city, Montgomery co., Ala., 110 s. e. Tuscaloosa.
Situated on the e. side of the Coosa r., and contains 4
churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, 1 Methodist, 1 Presbyterian,
the state prison, 1 academy, 18 stores, 275 dwellings, and 2,600
inhabitants. The Harrogate springs, containing valuable mineral
properties, are Situated on the s. of the city, and are a place
of great resort during the summer months.
Wexford, p-o., Alleghany co., Pa., 215 n. w. Harrisburg, 241 W.
Weybridge, t, Addison co., Vt., 30 s. by e. Burlington. Drained
by Otter Creek r., which has here several falls, affording good
water power, and by Lemonfair r. The surface is uneven; soil,
fertile, adapted to grazing. It contains a Congregational
church, and a small v. on Otter Creek, where are 1 store, and 1
woolen fac. Chartered in 1761. There are in the t. 3 stores,
cap. $4,200; 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 paper fac,
1 grist m., 3 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $17,100. 6 sch.
153 scholars. Pop. 797.
Weybridge Lower Falls, p-o., Weybridge t., Addison co., Vt., 63
s. w. Montpelier, 486 W.
Weymouth, p-t., Norfolk co., Mass., 12 s. s. E. Boston, 446 W.
The surface is uneven; soil, a fertile gravelly loam. Weymouth
East r. and West r. are branches of Boston harbor, and are
navigable for large vessels. It contains Whitman's pond in the
centre, and Great pond in its s. part. It has 3 churches, 2
Congregational, 1 Methodist. It has 2 villages, 1 in the n., and
the other in the s. part of the t. The North v. has 800 tons of
shipping. It has 28 stores, cap. $30,800; 4 lumber yards, cap.
$34,000; 1 tannery, 4 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$219,400. 4 acad. 172 students, 8 sch. 1,005 scholars. Pop.
Weymouth, t., Atlantic co., N. J. It has 8 stores, cap. $16,200;
1 lumber yard, cap. $2,000; 1 forge, 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $14,000. 6 sch. 336 scholars. Pop. 1,158.
Weymouth, p-o., Medina t., Medina co., O., 129 n. n. e.
Columbus, 351 W.
Whaleysville, p-v., Worcester co., Md., 115 s. e. Annapolis, 155
Wharton, t., Fayette co., Pa., 11 s. e. Uniontown. The surface
is mountainous; soil, gravel. Youghiogheny r. runs on its e. and
n. boundary, by branches of which it is drained. It has 2
stores, cap. $4,000; 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 11 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $1,550. 4 sch. 106 scholars. Pop. 1,325.
Wharton, p-t., Potter co., Pa., 179 w. s. w. Harrisburg, 271 W.
Watered by a branch of Sandy cr., which flows into Cheat r. It
has 1 store, cap. $3,000; 2 grist m., 4 saw. Cap. in manufac
$5,000. Pop. 171.
Wharton's, p-o., Brookfield t., Morgan co., O., 99 e. by s.
Columbus, 318 W.
Whately, p-t., Franklin co., Mass., 9 n. Northampton, 94 w.
Boston, 3S9 W. The surface is uneven; soil, fertile, especially
on the streams. Bounded e. by Connecticut r. Drained by Mill r.
It contains a Congregational and a Baptist church. Incorporated
in 1771. It has 2 stores, cap. $5,000; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen
fac, 1 cotton fac. 200 sp., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 4 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $27,870. 6 sch. 380 scholars. Pop. 1,072.
Wheatfield, t., Niagara co., N. Y., 12 w. Lockport, 289 w. by n.
Albany. The surface is undulating; soil, generally a fertile
loam. Niagara r. bounds it on the w. Drained by Tonawanda cr. It
has 1 saw m., 6 sch. 352 scholars. Pop. 1,057.
Wheatfield, t., Perry co., Pa. It has 1 store, cap. $1,500; 1
furnace, 1 forge, 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,760:
4 sch. 91 scholars. Pop. 617.
Wheatland, p-t., Monroe co., N. Y., 14 s. w. Rochester, 273 w.
by n. Albany, 368 W. The surface is undulating; soil, calcareous
loam, adapted to grain. Drained by Aliens cr., flowing into
Genesee r., which bounds it on the e. The v. stands on Aliens
cr., 1 m. from its mouth. There are in the t. 13 stores, cap.
$45,900; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 furnace, 3 tanneries, 2
distilleries, 2 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $204,431. 13
sch. 806 scholars. Population, 2,871.
Wheatland, p-o., Loudon co., Va., 163 n. Richmond, 44 W.
Wheatland, p-t., Hillsdale co., Mich., 88 s. w. Detroit, 528 W.
(Post-office called Wheatland Centre.) It has 1 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $1,200. 5 sch. 109 scholars. Pop. 164.
Wheatley, p-o., Fauquier co., Va., 99 n. Richmond, 88 W.
Wheeler, p-t., Steuben co., N. Y., 216 w. by s. Albany, 308 W.
The surface is hilly; soil, sandy loam and clay. Drained by Five
Mile cr. and other branches of Conhocton r. It has 1 fulling m.,
1 tannery, 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac $4,950. 9 sch. 381 scholars.
Wheelersburg, p-v., Porter t., Scioto co., O., 10 n. E.
Portsmouth, 99 s. Columbus, 415 W. It w r as formerly called
Concord, and contains 5 stores, 1 steam cotton fac, 1 machine
shop, where steam engines are constructed, 30 dwellings, and
about 200 inhabitants.
Wheeling, cr., Va. and Pa., rises in Washington and Greene
counties, Pa., and enters the Ohio r., in Ohio co., Va.,
immediately below Wheeling v.
Wheeling, city, port of entry, and capital of Ohio co., Va., 351
n. w. Richmond, 266 W. Pop. 1810, 914; 1820, 1,567; 1830, 5,221;
1840, 7,885. Situated on the e. bank of Ohio r., at the mouth of
Wheeling cr. It contains a handsome court house, a jail, county
offices, an academy, 2 banks, a theatre, a Masonic hall, the
Wheeling Institute, 9 churches, 2 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 1
Baptist, 2 Methodist, 1 Campbellite, 1 Friends, and 1 Roman
Catholic, 2 academies, 97 stores, 7 commission and forwarding
houses, 4 iron foundries, 4 steam engine fac, 8 glass houses, in
several of which cut glass is manufactured, 4 woolen and cotton
fac. with carding machines, 2 paper m., 4 saw m., 3 white and
sheet lead and copperas fac, and in the vicinity 134 flouring m.
The city contains about 1,000 dwellings, and is handsomely
situated on a high bank of the r. Over 20 steamboats are owned
here, and many others stop at its wharves. The national road
passes through the place. The city extends U m. along the r., is
a great thoroughfare, and the largest place in W. Va. It was
laid out in 1793, and has received 10 additions, and now
contains 1,270 lots, 856 on the n. and 414 on the s. side of
Wheeling cr. Zane's island lies in the Ohio r., immediately in
front of the city, and contains 350 acres, one half of which is
laid in 923 lots, and connected by a bridge with the city. This
place is called Columbia City, and the national road passes
through it. Bituminous coal is abundant in the vicinity, and
1,500,000 bushels are exported annually. Tonnage 1840, 2,460.
Wheeling, p-v., Giles co., Tenn., 74 s. Nashville, 724 W.
Wheeling, t., Belmont co., O. The soil is fertile, adapted to
grain and fruit. Drained by Indian Wheeling cr., which affords
water power. It has 2 sch. 65 scholars. Pop. 1,389.
Wheeling, t., Guernsey co., O. Drained by Wills cr. It has 5
sch. 172 scholars. Pop. 909.
Wheeling, p-v., Delaware co., Ia., 71 n. n. e. Indianapolis, 542
W. Situated on the s. side of Mississinewa r.
Wheeling, p-o., Cook co., Ill., 227 n. n. e. Springfield, 733 W.
Wheeling, p-v., Holmes co., Miss., 81 n. by e. Jackson, 978 W.
Situated on a branch of Big Black r.
Wheelock, p-t., Caledonia co., Vt., 43 n. e. Montpelier, 556 W.
Granted and chartered in 1785 to the president and trustees of
Dartmouth College and Moore's charity school. Named in honor of
the first president of the college, Rev. John Wheelock, D. D. A
considerable part of the land is held on lease. First settled in
1790. The w. part is uneven and rough, the e. part is fertile
and well cultivated. A pond of 100 acres in its w. part
discharges its waters into Lamoille r., and affords water power;
another of 50 acres, in the e. part, flows in Pasumpsic r. It
contains a Freewill Baptist church. It has 1 store, cap. §3,000;
1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$6,700. 12 sch. 268 scholars. Pop. 881.
Whetstone, r., O., called also Olentangy r., rises in Richland
co., and discharges its waters into Scioto r., immediately above
Whetstone, t., Crawford co., O., 18 s. e. Bucyrus. It has 7 sch.
480 scholars. Pop. 1,124.
Whippy Swamp, p-o., Beaufort dist., South Carolina.
White, r., Vt., rises in Hancock t., Addison co., and receives 3
large branches from the N., called the First, Second, and Third
branches, in Bethel and Royalton. The Second branch has its
source in Williamstown, in the same swamp with Stevens' branch
of Onion or Winooski r. Each of these branches affords water
power. White r. is about 55 ms. long, and flows into Connecticut
r., in Hartford t. It is the largest r. in Vt. on the e. side of
the Green mts. The road along Onion r. and down White r. affords
a pleasant passage across the state, with no high hills.
White r., Ia., is composed of the East and West forks. The first
rises in Johnson co., receives numerous tributaries, and can be
made navigable 150 ms. above the confluence of the branches. The
West fork rises in Randolph co., receives numerous branches, and
is navigable for steamboats in high water as far as
Indianapolis, and for flat-boats much further. The branches
unite between Daviess and Knox co's., and flowing about 30 ms.
w. s. w. enter the Wabash r. The lower part of the r. is 200
yards wide, and is navigable for ordinary steamboats at the
usual stages of water, in the spring season.
White, r., Ark., rises in a ridge called the Black mountains,
and running a considerable distance in Mo., enters Ark., and
receives Big Black r. from the n., between Independence and
Jackson counties. Thence flowing s. and s. s. e. it receives on
the w. Little Red r., and on the e. Cache r., and enters the
Mississippi r. in Desha co. About 7 ms. from its mouth it is
connected, through an inundated forest, by a bayou as wide as
the r. with Arkansas r., 30 ms. above its mouth, which, in
moderate stages of the water, is boatable. White r. has a very
winding course, and is said to be boatable for 1,000 ms., though
its length in a direct course, is not over 500 ms. The country
through which it flows is extensively a fertile agricultural and
a rich mineral region. Near its entrance into the Mississippi,
its course is through a deep swamp.
White Mountains, N. H. Situated in Coos co., toward the n. e.
part of the state. In their more elevated parts, the range
extends in a direction of n. w. and s. e. for 20 ms., with a
breadth of 8 or 10 ms. They lie 30 ms. n. of Winnipiseogee lake,
and 70 n. Concord. Until recently they were regarded as the
highest land in the United States e. of the Rocky Mountains, but
it has been ascertained that there are higher peaks in North
Carolina. The 3 highest peaks of each, above the level of the
sea, are as follows:
White Mountains, N. H.
Mount Washington 6,234 feet.
Adams Jefferson 5,328 5.053
Mountains in Yancey co., N. C.
Black Mountain 6,476 feet.
Grandfather mt 5,556
Madison peak, of the White Mountains, is 4,866 feet, Monroe
4,711 feet, Franklin 4,356 feet, Lafayette 4,339 feet high.
Mount Washington is frequently visited by travelers, who
commonly ascend by the s. e. side, commencing at the town of
Conway, and following the course of the Saco r., which rises
high in the mt. After climbing up the side of the mt. for a
considerable distance, the trees begin to diminish in height,
till at the elevation of about 4,000 feet, you come to a region
of dwarfish evergreens, about the height of a man's head,
putting forth numerous horizontal branches, closely interwoven
with each other, and surrounding the mountain with a formidable
hedge. On emerging from this thicket, you are above all woods,
at the foot of what is called the bald part of the mountain,
which consists of a huge pile of naked rocks. After attaining
the summit, the traveler is recompensed for his toil, if the sky
be clear, with a most grand and extensive prospect, embracing
the Atlantic ocean at Portland, 65 ms. in a direct line to the
s. E.; the Katahdin mountains to the N. E., near the sources of
Penobscot r.; on the w. to the Green mountains in Vt.; and
Monadnoek mt., 120 ms. s. w. Among the nearer and more
picturesque objects are Umbagog and Winnipiseogee lakes,
Androscoggin and Connecticut rivers, and numerous smaller lakes
and streams. Beneath and around, in every direction, the
mountains extend many miles from the summit, resembling in their
shape the waves of the sea in a storm. The elevated summits of
the White Mountains are covered with snow for 9 or 10 months in
the year. The writer of this has seen Mount Washington from a
high hill a little w. of Hallowell, Me., in the month of May,
its white top apparently covered with snow. The Notch or Gap, on
the w. side of the mountain, is 3 deep and narrow defile, in one
part only 22 feet wide. The road from Lan-caster, N. H., to
Portland Me, which passes through this gap, is crossed by Saco
r. Several brooks, the tributaries of the Saco, fall down the
sides of the mountains, forming a succession of beautiful
cascades, some of them within sight of the road, presenting the
wildest and most romantic scenery. The White Mountains belong to
a range which extends southwardly to Belchertown, Mass., where
it divides into 2 branches, called the Lyme range, and the Mount
White, County, Tenn. Situated in the central
part of the state, and contains 672 sq. ms. Drained by Caney
Fork of Cumberland r. and its branches. Capital, Sparta. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 9,709, sheep 8,970, swine 34,277;
wheat 51,082 bush, produced, rye 6,691, Ind. corn 405,149, oats
85,899, potatoes 15,563, tobacco 23,014 pounds, cotton 8,193,
sugar 1,096; 8 stores, cap. $35,600; 2 forges, 68 tanneries, 32
distilleries, 3 potteries, 10 flouring m., 21 grist m., 13 saw
m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac.
$20,865. Pop. whites 9,640, slaves 933, free col'd 174; total,
White, County, Ia. Situated toward the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 530 sq. ms. Nearly one half the
surface is prairie, and the soil is fertile. Drained by
Tippecanoe r. and its tributaries. Capital, Monticello. There
were in 1840, neat cattle 3,617, sheep 2,254, swine 6,071; wheat
17,981 bush, produced, Ind. corn 124,782, oats 36,528, potatoes
7,849; 2 flouring m., 53 saw m., 5 sch. 95 scholars. Pop. 1,832.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!