Whitneys Point, NY to Williamstown, VT
Whitneys Point, p-o., Triangle t., Broome co., N. Y., 130 w. s.
w. Albany, 313 W.
Whitneys Valley, p-v., Burns t., Alleghany co., N. Y., 248 w. by
s. Albany, 329 W. It contains 2 churches, 2 stores, and about 25
Whitpaine, t, Montgomery co., Pa. It has 3 stores, cap. $10,000;
1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 3 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$6,278. 4 sch. 353 scholars. Pop. 1,224.
Whittington, p-v., Hot Springs co., Ark., 41 w. by s. Little
Rock, 1,106 W. Situated on a branch of Saline r.
Whittle's Mills, p-o., Mecklenburg co., Va., 99 s. w. Richmond,
Wickford, p-v., N. Kingston t., Washington co., R. I., 22 s.
Providence, 401 W. Situated on a branch of Narraganset bay, on
its w. side, which affords a good harbor. It contains 3
churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Friends, an academy, a
bank, a town house, 30 stores, and about 100 dwellings. It has
considerable navigation employed in the coasting and West India
Wicomico, r., rises in Sussex co., Del., and flows s. w. into
Chesapeake Bay, s. of Nanticoke r.
Wicomico Church, p-o., Northumberland co., Va., 99 e. n. e.
Richmond, 160 W.
Wiconisco, p-t., Dauphin co., Pa., 53 N. Harrisburg, 163 W.
Wiconisco or enters the Susquehanna r. on the w. boundary of
this t., 20 ms. above Harrisburg. Pop. 489.
Wideman's, p-o., Abbeville dist., S. C., 87 w. Columbia, 548 W.
Wiggins Ferry, p-o., St. Clair co., Ill., 95 s. by w.
Springfield, 806 W. Situated on the Mississippi, opposite to St.
Louis, Mo. It has 2 steam ferry-boats crossing to St. Louis, 1
store, and several dwellings.
Wilbraham, p-t., Hampden co., Mass., 83 Boston, 363 W. The
surface is moderately uneven; soil, fertile, adapted to grazing.
Chickapee r. runs on its n. boundary. The Boston and Springfield
railroad passes through its n. part. It contains the Wesleyan
Academy, under the direction of the Methodists, incorporated in
1824. It has a large number of students, and is flourishing. The
t. has 2 villages, in each of which is a Congregational and a
Methodist church. It was incorporated in 1763. It has 4 stores,
cap. $11,800; 3 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 8 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $1,190. 1 acad. 225 students, 11 schools, 394
scholars. Population, 1,864.
Wilcox, County, Ala. Situated s. w. of the
centre of the state, and contains 1,200 sq. ms. Drained by
Alabama r. and its branches. Capital, Barboursville. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 15,800, sheep 3,630, swine 38,000; wheat
2,450 bush, produced, rye 1,050, Ind. corn 650,000, oats
256,510, potatoes 667,417, rice 28,825 pounds, cotton 1,722,030;
21 stores, cap. $96,950; 3 tanneries, 2 flouring m., 16 grist
m., 10 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in
manufac. $42,100. 5 acad. 205 students, 14 sch. 425 scholars.
Pop. whites 5,960, slaves 9,294, free col'd 24; total, 15,278.
Wilcox. C. H., p-v., capital of Wilcox co., Ala., 97 s.
Tuscaloosa, 889 W. Situated in Barboursville v., a few ms. 8. of
Alabama r., and contains a court house, jail, and about 275
Wilcoxville, p-v., Schuyler co., 111., 54 w. n. w. Springfield,
Wilderness, p-o., Spottsylvania co., Va., 77 n. n. w. Richmond,
Wilfong's Mills, p-v., Lincoln co., N. C., 173 w. by s. Raleigh,
416 W. It contains 1 store, and a few dwellings. In the vicinity
much gold is found, and the mines are wrought to advantage.
Wilkes, County, N. C. Situated in the n. w.
part of the state, and contains 864 sq. ms. Drained by Yadkin r.
and its numerous branches. It is surrounded by mountains, having
the Blue Ridge on its n. w. border, and near its s. w. boundary
in Yancey co., Black nit., more elevated than any other peak in
the United States e. of the Rocky mountains. Its surface is an
elevated mountain valley. Capital, Wilkesboro.' There were in
1840, neat cattle 13,977, sheep 13,359, swine 40,965; wheat
30,268 bush, produced, rye 16,685, Ind. corn 463,793, oats
64,210, potatoes 30,220, tobacco 24,567 pounds, cotton 12,468; 8
stores, cap. $33,600; 4 tanneries, 209 distilleries, 2
potteries, 1 flouring m., 100 grist m., 36 saw m., 1 oil m. Cap.
in manufac. $40,010. 1 acad. 30 students, 1 sch. 20 scholars.
Pop. whites 10,976, slaves 1,430, free col'd 171; total, 12,577.
Wilkes, County, Ga. Situated in the E., toward
the n. part of the state, and contains 550 sq. ms. Broad r.
bounds it on the n. and Little r. on the s. Drained by Fishing
cr. and its branches, which flows into Savannah r. Capital,
Washington. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,391, sheep 4,481,
swine 15,939; wheat 38,906 bush, produced, Ind. corn 288,259,
oats 64,180, potatoes 6,394, cotton 2,345,087 pounds; 9 stores,
capital $73,500; 1 distillery, 2 flouring m., 15 grist m., 4 saw
m., 2 printing offices, 1 periodical, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap.
in manufac. $24,230. 1 college, 116 students, 2 acad. 86
students, 14 sch. 300 scholars. Pop. whites 3,630, slaves 6,501,
free col'd 17; total, 10,148.
Wilkesbarre, p-t., capital of Luzerne co., Pa., 127 n. e.
Harrisburg, 231 W. Wyoming mt. crosses it in the centre. Bounded
n. w. by Susquehanna r., between which and the mt. the surface
is level, and the soil a fertile alluvion: s. e. of the mt. the
country is hilly, and mostly sterile. It is in the midst of the
anthracite coal region. Watered by Mill and Solomon's creeks,
and Laurel run, which flow into the Susquehanna, and Bear cr.
and its tributaries, which flow into the Lehigh. Wilkesbarre b.
lies on the e. side of Susquehanna r. It contains a court house,
jail, and county offices, situated on a square intersected by
the 4 principal streets, which enter the square at its corners,
but in other respects regularly laid out, an academy, a seminary
for young ladies, 2 churches, 1 Episcopal and 1 Methodist, a
bank; 22 stores, cap. $119,100; 1 lumber yard, cap. $1,000; 2
furnaces, 2 tanneries, 1 brewery, 1 pottery, 2 printing offices,
1 weekly newspaper, 1 flouring m. Cap. in manufac. $53,300. 2
acad. 65 students, 7 sch. 330 scholars. Pop. 1,718. It was laid
out in 1773, under the Susquehanna Land Company of Connecticut,
and named in honor of Wilkes and Barre, two distinguished
friends of the American cause in the British Parliament. It is
in the beautiful valley of Wyoming, on a plain elevated 18 or 20
feet above the ordinary level of the Susquehanna r. It was
burned by the British and Indians during the revolutionary war.
There are in the t. exclusive of the borough, I store, cap.
$2,000; 1 tannery, 1 distillery, 3 flouring m., 2 6aw m. Cap. in
manufac. $8,950. 1 acad. 15 students, 6 sch. 280 scholars. Pop.
Wilkesboro ugh, p-v., capital of Wilkes co., N. C, 172 w. n. w.
Raleigh, 379 W. Situated on the s. side of Yadkin r., and
contains a court house, jail, and 150 inhabitants.
Wilkesborough, p-v., McLean co., 111., 74 n. e. Springfield, 754
Wilkesville, p-t,, Gallia co., O., 84 s. s. e. Columbus, 359 W.
Organized in 1810. Drained by Racoon cr., which affords water
power. It has 4 stores, cap. $3,500; 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 3
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,505. Pop. 738.
Wilkins, p-t., Alleghany co., Pa., 10 e. Pittsburgh, 195 w. by
n. Harrisburg, 221 W. The surface is hilly and undulating; soil,
loam and alluvion. Plum cr. runs on its n. e., and Thompson's
run on its s. e. boundary. It has 1 sch. 25 scholars. Pop.
Wilkins, p-o., Union co., O.
Wilkinsburg, p-v., Wilkins t., Alleghany co., Pa., 192 w. by n.
Harrisburg, 218 W. Situated in the forks of Nine Mile run, and
contains 3 stores, and about 60 dwellings.
Wilkinson, County, Ga. Situated a little s. of
the centre of the state, and contains 430 sq. ms. Drained by
Commissioner's and Big Sandy creeks, branches of Oconee r.
Capital, Irwinton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 6,881, sheep
1,859, swine 16,047; wheat 12,767 bush, produced, Ind. corn
140,642, oats 5,117, potatoes 10,828, rice 1,720 pounds, cotton
1,809,612; 12 stores, cap. $38,775; 4 distilleries, 16 grist m.,
10 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $27,800. 4 acad. 159 students, 10
sch. 153 scholars. Pop. whites 4,957, slaves 1,866, free col'd
19; total, 6,842.
Wilkinson, County, Miss. Situated in the s. w.
corner of the state, and contains 580 sq. ms. Mississippi r.
bounds it on the w., Homochitto r. bounds it on the n. and n. w.
Drained by Buffalo cr. The surface is hilly and broken; soil,
very fertile, producing cotton. Capital, Woodville. There were
in 1840, neat cattle 2,219, sheep 9,729, swine 26,528; Ind. corn
473,693 bush, produced, oats 19,635, potatoes 99,565, rice 4,555
pounds, cotton 15,250,907; 32 stores, cap. $174.250; 3
tanneries, 9 grist m., 4 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly
newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $42,800. 6 acad. 264 students, 5
sch. 87 scholars. Pop. whites 3,269, slaves 10,894, free col'd
30; total, 14,193.
Wilkinson's Shop, p-o., Chesterfield co., Va., 39 s. s. w.
Richmond, 156 W.
Wilkinsonville, p-v., Worcester co., Mass., 39 w. Boston, 404 W.
Wilkinsonville, p-v., Chesterfield co., Va., 32 s. s. w.
Richmond, 149 W.
Wilkinsville, p-v., Union dist., S. C, 98 n. w. Columbia, 447 W.
Wilkinsville, v., Clarke co., Ga. It contains an academy, 4
stores, and 25 dwellings.
Will, County, Ill. Situated toward the n. e.
part of the state, and contains 504 square miles. Drained by
Kankakee r. and its branches. Des Plaines r. bounds it on the n.
w. Capital, Juliet. There were in 1840, neat cattle 9,278, sheep
2,584, swine 15,690; wheat 110,464 bush, produced, Ind. corn
173,383, buckwheat 1,561, bar-ley 5,729, oats 271,587, potatoes
112,482, sugar 8,100 pounds; 41 stores, cap. $142,693; 1
tannery, 1 distillery, 2 flouring m., 5 grist m., 14 saw m., 1
printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $96,284. 3
acad. 68 students, 35 sch. 1,082 scholars. Pop. 10,167.
Willet, p-t., Cortland co., N. Y., 18 s. e. Cortland, 134 w.
Albany, 321 W. The surface is hilly; soil, clay loam. Drained by
Ostelic r. It has 1 store, cap. $6,000; 1 grist m., 6 saw ra.
Cap. in manufac. $3,775. 7 sch. 256 scholars. Pop. 872.
Williams, r., Vt., is formed by the union of 3 branches in
Chester, and flows into Connecticut r., in Rockingham, 3 ms.
above Bellows Falls.
Williams, County, O. Situated in the n. w.
corner of the state, and contains 600 sq. ms. The soil is very
fertile. Watered by Maumee, Tiffin, Auglaize, and Little St.
Joseph rivers, some of which afford water power. It has a
mineral spring, half a mile E. of Defiance, the odor of which
can be perceived at the distance of a quarter of a mile,
possesses valuable properties, and is much frequented. The
Wabash and Erie Canal passes through its s. e. corner. Capital,
Defiance. There were in 1840, neat cattle 3,662, sheep 1,062,
swine 8,225; wheat 29,268 bush, produced, rye 899, Ind. corn
82,403, buckwheat 1,454, oats 24,805, potatoes 35,156, sugar
27,567 , 17 stores, cap. $37,350; 1 tannery, 3 printing offices,
3 weekly newspapers, 10 grist m., 13 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$43,850. 24 sch. 570 scholars. Pop. 4,465.
Williams, t., Northampton co., Pa. It has 4 stores, cap. $5,200;
8 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 3 saw rn.
Cap. in manufac. $4,700. 1 sch. 65 scholars. Pop. 1,937.
Williams, p-o., Christian co., Ky., 215 w. s. w. Frankfort, 749
Williams, t., Benton co., Mo. Pop. 329.
Williamsborough, p-v., Granville co., N. C, 48 n. Raleigh, 241
W. It contains 100 inhabit-ants.
Williamsburg, Dist., S. C. Situated toward the
e. part of the state, and contains 1,200 sq, ms. Lynches cr.
runs on its n. e. border, and Santee r. on the s. e. Drained by
Black r. and Cedar cr. and their branches. Capital, Kingstree.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 17,632, sheep 3.183, swine
29,035; wheat 4,460 bush, produced, Ind. corn 200,312, oats
5,224, potatoes 60,849, rice 95,500 pounds, cotton 515,038; 7
stores, cap. $38,500; 9 flouring m., 9 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$19,988. 4 acad. 70 students, 12 sch. 161 scholars. Pop. whites
3,327, slaves 6,968, free col'd 32; total, 10,327.
Williamsburg, p-t., Piscataquis co., Me., 40 N. Bangor, 102 n.
n. e. Augusta, 699 W. Drained by Pleasant r. and its branches,
which flow into Penobscot r. The surface is undulating; soil,
fertile. It contains on its w. border an inexhaustible quarry of
slate for roofing. It has 2 sch. 60 scholars. Pop. 131.
Williamsburg, p-t., Hampshire co., Mass., 8 n. w. Northampton,
100 w. Boston, 388 W. The surface is uneven and elevated; soil,
fertile. Drained by Mill r., which affords water power. The v.
is situated on both sides of Mill r., and contains 3 churches, 2
Congregational and 1 Methodist and several manufactories. There
are in the t. 4 stores, cap. $9,600; 2 fulling m., 2 woolen fac,
1 furnace, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$19,170. 1 acad. 9 sch. 442 scholars. Pop. 1,309.
Williamsburg, p-t., Kings co., N. Y., 147 s. Albany, 227 W.
Situated n. e. of Brooklyn; bounded by East r. on the w. The
surface is level; soil, moderately fertile. The v. is situated
opposite the n. e. part of the city of New York, with which it
is connected by 3 steam ferries. Incorporated in 1827, and
contains a village hall, including a jail, 7 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Dutch Reformed, 1 Episcopal, 2 Methodist, and 2
Roman Catholic, 1 fire insurance co., 20 stores and groceries, 5
distilleries, 1 brewery, 1 tannery, 1 spice fac, 3 ship yards, 4
lumber yards, 5 rope walks, 1 glue fac, 1 iron foundry, and
5,094 inhabitants. It is closely allied to New York, where many
of its inhabitants do business. It has many handsome dwellings.
There are in the t. 33 stores, cap. $95,000; 4 distilleries, 2
printing offices. 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac.
Williamsburg, p-b., Huntingdon co., Pa., 110 w. Harrisburg, 153
W. Situated on the s. side of Juniata r., and contains 5
churches, 8 stores, cap. $30,500; 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 1
distillery, 1 pottery, 1 flouring m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$22,375. 2 sch. 80 scholars. Pop. 637. Incorporated in 1828. The
Pennsylvania canal runs by the v.
Williamsburg, p-v., capital of James City co., Va., 58 E. s. e.
Richmond, 175 W. Situated on elevated ground between James and
York rivers. First settled in 1632, and was formerly the seat of
the colonial government. It is regularly laid out with streets
intersecting each other at right angles, and contains a court
house, jail, and county offices on a public square, 3 churches,
1 Episcopal, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, a lunatic asylum, 200
dwellings, and about 1,600 inhabitants. It bears some marks of
decay. It is the seat of William and Mary college, founded in
1693, and contains a president and 4 professors or other
instructors, 110 students, and 5,000 vols. in its libraries. The
commencement is on the 4th of July.
Williamsburg, p-v., Iredell co., N. C, 157 w. Raleigh, 368 W. It
contains 40 inhabitants.
Williamsburg, p-v., capital of Covington co., Miss., 82 s. e.
Jackson, 1,032 W. Situated between head branches of Leaf r., and
contains about 75 inhabitants.
Williamsburg, p-v., Mason co., Ky., 89 e. n. e. Frankfort, 46S
W. Situated a little s. of the Ohio r. and contains about 75
Williamsburg, pt., Clermont co., O., 28 e. Cincinnati, 105 s. w.
Columbus, 472 W. It contains Williamsburg v., formerly the
capital of the co., situated on the e. branch of Little Miami
r., 14 ms. from Ohio r. and has several stores, 65 dwellings,
and about 400 inhabitants. The t. has 6 stores, cap. S5,600 ; 1
grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $3,500. 3 sch. 85 scholars.
Williamsburg, p-v., Wayne co., Ia., 73 e. Indianapolis, 512 W.
Situated on a branch of Whitewater r., and contains about 100
Williamsburg, p-v., Callaway co., Mo., 37 n. n. e. Jefferson
City, 902 W. It contains about 75 inhabitants.
Williams Centre, p-v., Williams co., O., 171 n. w. Columbus, 523
Willia.ms College Grant, t., Aroostook co., Me. Pop. 85.
Williams Cross Roads, p-o., Sumter co., Ala., 99 s. w.
Tuscaloosa, 917 W.
Williamsfield, p-t., Ashtabula co., O., 20 s. e. Jefferson, 200
n. e. Columbus, 316 W. Organized in 1826 from Wayne t. It has 6
sch. 263 scholars. Pop. 892.
Williams Ferry, p-o. White co., Ill., 189 s. e. Springfield, 749
Williams Mill, p-o. Smith co., Tenn., 65 e. Nashville, 664 W.
Williamson, County, Tenn. Situated a little e.
of the centre of the state, and contains 476 sq. ms. Drained by
Harpeth r. and its branches, a tributary of Tennessee r.
Capital, Franklin. There were in 1840, neat cattle 23,417, sheep
32,123, swine 96,910; wheat 145,062 bush, produced, rye 22,071,
Ind. corn 942,035, barley 1,225, oats 184,896, potatoes 30,320,
tobacco 1,126,932 lbs., cotton 1,218,176 ; 25 stores, cap.
$122,5J0 ; 1 furnace, 2 forges, 1 cotton fac. 1,052 sp., 9
tanneries, 9 distilleries, 23 grist m., 11 saw m., 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $148,156. 4 acad.
143 students, 35 sch. 870 scholars. Pop. whites 15,641, slaves
11,251, free col'd 114; total, 27.0J6.
Williamson, County. Ill. Situated in the s.
part of the state, and contains 432 sq. ms. Drained by Muddy
cr., which flows into Mississippi r. and by Saline cr., flowing
into Ohio r. Capital, Bainbridge. There were in 1840, neat
cattle 4,736, sheep 3,198, swine 13,902; wheat 11,932 bush,
produced, Ind. corn 172,890, oats 29,370, potatoes 3,8S1,
tobacco 115,419 pounds, cotton 45,423; 7 stores, cap. $17,575; 2
tanneries, 2 distilleries, 7 grist m., 2 saw m., 2 priming
offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $3,075. 10 sch.
365 scholars. Pop. 4,457.
Williamson, p-t., Wayne co., N. Y., 200 w. by n. Albany, 364 W.
The surface is generally level; soil, fertile. Drained by small
streams flowing into Lake Ontario, which bounds it on the n. The
v. is situated on the Ridge road, and contains 1 church, 2
stores, 25 dwellings, and about 150 inhabitants. In the vicinity
are 1 flouring m. and 1 saw m., on Fish cr. There are in the t.
4 stores, cap. $27,500; 2 tanneries, 1 grist m., 9 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $9,170. 11 sch. 375 scholars. Pop. 2,147.
Williamsport, p-b., capital of Lycoming co., Pa., 160 n. w.
Philadelphia, 93 n. Harrisburg, 203 W. Situated on the n. bank
of w. branch of Susquehanna r., and contains a court house and
county offices of brick, a jail, 1 German Lutheran, 1 Episcopal,
and 1 Methodist church; 15 stores, cap. $54,000; 3 tanneries, 2
printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $33,800.
2 acad. 34 students, 3 sen. 150 scholars. Pop. 1,353. The
Pennsylvania canal passes through the place. The Williamsport
and Elmira railroad connects the 2 places.
Williamsport, p-v., Washington co., Md., 107 n. w. Annapolis, 80
W. Situated on the e. side of Potomac r., at the mouth of
Conecocheague cr. The Chesapeake and Ohio canal passes through
it. The Franklin railroad from Chambersburg terminates here. It
contains about 500 inhabitants.
Williamsport, p-v., Hardy co., Va., 180 s. w. Richmond, 142 W.
Williamsport, p-v., Maury co., Tenn., 45 a. s. w. Nashville, 722
W. Situated on the s. side of Duck r., and contains about 1 10
Williamsport, p-v.. Duck Creek t., Pickaway co., O., 35 s.
Columbus, 405 W.
Williamsport, v., Madison t., Columbiana co., O. Pop. 84.
Williamsport, p-v., capital of Warren co., Ia., 73 w. n. w.
Indianapolis, 645 W. Situated on the w. bank of Wabash r. It has
a good landing for boats, and contains several stores and about
350 inhabitants. It is surrounded by a fertile country.
Williams Store, p-o., Hardeman co., Tenn., 177 w. s. w.
Nashville, 862 W.
Williamston, p-v., Barbour co., Ala., 186 s. e. Tuscaloosa, 834
W. Situated 12 ms. w. of the Chattahoochee r., and contains
about 75 inhabitants.
Williamstown, p-t.. Orange co., Vt., 11 s. e. Montpelier, 510 W.
It occupies the height of land between Winooski or Onion and
White rivers, a brook here dividing, and a part of its waters
flowing to each. The surface is uneven ; soil, well adapted to
grazing. The Gulf road is a deep ravine, through which the
turnpike from Royalton to Montpelier passes, has lofty hills
which rise on each side of the road, and constitutes a
remarkable passage through this mountainous region. Chartered in
1781, first settled in 1784. It contains 3 churches, 1
Congregational, 1 Baptist, 1 Freewill Baptist, 1 Methodist, and
1 Universalist. It has 2 stores, cap. $18,400; 1 fulling m., 2
tanneries, 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,385. 17
sch. 562 scholars. Pop. 1,620.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!