Williamstown, MA to Winchester, CT
Williamstown, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 20 n. Pittsfield, 131
w. by n. Boston, 393 W. The surface is uneven; soil, clay, loam,
and gravel, well adapted to grazing. Watered by Hoosic and Green
Rivers, which afford water power. The v. is situated on uneven
ground, the main street passing over several ridges. It contains
a Congregational church, several stores, an academy, and about
50 dwellings, some of them neat and handsome. It is the seat of
Williams College, founded in 1703, which has a president and 7
professors or other instructors, 033 alumni, of whom 331 have
been ministers of the gospel, 155 students, and 7,500 vols, in
its libraries. The commencement is on the 3d Wednesday in
August. The t. contains a Baptist church, and in the s. part a
church common to Baptists and Congregationalists. There are in
the t. 7 stores, capital $24,000; 1 fulling m., 2 cotton fac.
1,788 sp., 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$49,700. 1 college 1,300 students, 1 acad. 25 students, 13 sch.
340 scholars. Pop. 2,153.
Williamstown, p-t.., Oswego co., N. Y., 23 e. Oswego, 139 w. n.
w. Albany, 388 W. The surface is level; soil, moist sandy loam,
well adapted to grass. Drained by a branch of Fish cr. and by
Salmon cr. The v. contains 1 church, 2 stores, and in the
vicinity, 1 flouring m. and 1 saw m., on Fish cr. There are in
the t. 5 stores, cap. $16,925; 1 fulling m., 8 sch. 233
scholars. Pop. 842.
Williamstown, p-v., Lancaster co., Pa., 49 e. s. e. Harrisburg,
Williamstown, p-v., capital of Martin co., N. C., 140 e.
Raleigh, 264 W. Situated on the w. side of Roanoke r., and
contains a court house, jail, and about 250 inhabitants.
Williamstown, p-v., capital of Grant co., Ky., 49 n. n. e.
Frankfort, 529 W. Situated on the e. side of Eagle cr., a branch
of Kentucky r., and contains a court house, jail, and a number
Williamstown, t., Hancock co., O. Pop. 28.
Williamstown, p-v., Decatur co., Ia., 55 s. e. Indianapolis, 558
Williamsville, p-v., Windham co., Vt., 119 s. Montpelier, 438 W.
Williamsville, p-v., Amherst t., Erie co., N. Y., 278 w. Albany,
391 W. Situated on Ellicott's cr., and contains 2 churches, 8
stores, 2 flouring m., 2 saw m., 1 tannery, 1 clothier's works,
1 furnace, 1 water-lime m.: 40 or 50,000 bushels of water lime
are produced in the vicinity.
Williamsville, p-o., McKean co., Pa., 181 n. w. Harrisburg, 273
Williamsville, p-v., Kent co., Del., 22 s. s. w. Dover, 126 W.
Williamsville, p-o., Bath co., Va.
Williamsville, p-o., Delaware co., O., 15 n. Columbus, 408 W.
Williamsville, p-v., Person co., N.C., 61 n. n. w. Raleigh, 257
Willimanset, p-v., Springfield t., Hampden co., Mass., 94 w.
Boston, 371 W. Situated on the e. side of Connecticut r.
Willimantic, r., Tolland co., Ct., rises in Stafford, and
flowing s. unites with Natchaug r. to form Shetucket r.
Willimantic, p-v., Windham t., Windham co., Ct., 28 e. Hartford,
364 W. Situated on the N. side of Willimantic r. It is built on
1 street, 1 mile long, and contains 3 churches, 1
Congregational. 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, 6 cotton fac, a
satinet fac, and a paper m.
Willinborough, t., Burlington co., N. J., 7 n. w. Mount Holly.
The surface is generally level; soil, sandy loam, and well
cultivated. Delaware r. bounds it on the n. w., over which is
Dunks' ferry, 4 miles below Burlington. It contains Cooperstown
v. It has 4 stores, cap. $11,400; 1 lumber yard, cap. $3,000.
Cap. in in manufac. $3,100. 2 sch. 73 scholars. Pop. 900.
Wellington, t. T Piscataquis co., Me. It has 2 grist m., 2 saw
m., 9 sch. 353 scholars. Pop. 722.
Wellington, p-t., Tolland co., Ct., 28 w. Hartford, 264 W.
Willimantic r. bounds it on the w., by branches of which it is
drained, and which afford water power. The surface is uneven and
rough. Iron ore is found. The v. contains 1 Congregational and 1
Baptist church. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap. $9,500; 1
tannery, 2 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac $18,067. 10
schools, 437 scholars. Population 1,268.
Willington, p-v., Abbeville dist., S. C., 100 w. Columbia, 448
W. It contains about 50 inhabitants.
Willink, p-o., Aurora t., Erie co., N. Y., 278 w. Albany, 363 W.
Williston, p-t., Chittenden co., Vt., 32 n. n. w. Montpelier,
518 W. The surface is moderately uneven; soil, a fertile loam.
Onion or Winooski River runs on its n. boundary. Drained by
small streams. Chartered in 1763. First settled in 1774. Thomas
Chittenden, one of the fathers, and for many years the governor
of Vt, died here in 1797. The v. contains a handsome
Congregational church, of brick, a town house, an academy, and a
number of dwellings. It is a fine agricultural t. There are in
the t. 4 stores, cap. $17,000; 2 tanneries, 6 saw m. Cap. in
manufac $10,550. 10 sch. 359 scholars. Pop. 1,554.
Williston, p-v., Barnwell dist., S. C, 98 s. s. w. Columbia, 603
Williston, p-v., Callaway co., Ky., 265 w. s w. Frankfort, 792
Willistown, t., Chester co., Pa., 20 n. w. Philadelphia. The
surface is a gentle declivity; soil, gravelly. Drained by Ridley
and Crum creeks. It has 3 stores, cap. $15,000; 2 lumber yards,
cap. $3,000; 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., .1 grist m., 4 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $7,500. 5 sch. 206 scholars. Pop. 1,460.
Willoughby, p-t., Lake co., O., 164 n. n. e. Columbus, 353 W. It
was formerly called Chagrin. The soil is fertile and well
cultivated. The v. contains 2 churches, 9 stores, 1 flouring m.,
2 tanneries, various mechanics, and the Willoughby University.
The medical department only has been put in operation, and is
flourish-ing. It was founded in 1834, and has five professors
and 27 students. The lectures commence on the last Monday of
October, annually. It has 1 college, 40 students, 13 sch. 800
scholars. Pop. 1,943.
Willow Fork, t., Morgan co., Mo. It has 1 acad. 30 students, 1
sch. 22 scholars. Pop. 1,146.
Willow Grove, p-o., Sussex co., N. J., 21 n. Trenton, 260 W.
Willow Grove, p-o., Kent co., Del.
Willow Grove, p-v., Moreland t., Montgomery co., Pa., 13 n.
Philadelphia, 111 e. Harrisburg, 151 W. Situated in a pleasant
valley, and contains 3 stores, 15 dwellings, chiefly of stone,
and is much resorted to from Philadelphia as a summer residence.
Willow Grove, p-o., Lincoln co., N. C, 170 w. by s. Raleigh, 409
Willow Grove, p-o., Sumpter dist., S. C, 85 E. Columbia, 477 W.
Willow Grove, p-o., Coweta co., Ga.
Willow Grove, p-o., Livingston co., Ky., 247 w. s. w. Frankfort,
Willow Grove, p-o., Sumner co., Tenn., 39 n. r. Nashville, 678
Willow Springs, p-o., Claiborne co., Miss., 10 e. Grand Gulf, 53
s. w. Jackson, 1,063 W.
Willow Springs, p-o., Iowa co., Wis., 62 w. s. w. Madison, 874
W. Situated a little e. of the w. branch of Peckatonokee r.
Willow Street, p-o., Lancaster co., Pa., 42 K. s. e. Harrisburg,
Willsborough, p-t., Essex co., N. Y., 15 n. e. Elizabeth, 145 n.
Albany, 516 W. The surface is chiefly level on the e., hilly on
the w; soil, fertile clay loam. Drained by Boquet r., and other
streams flowing into Lake Champlain, which bounds it on the e.
The v. is situated on Boquet r., and contains 1 Presbyterian
Church, 3 stores, 1 grist m., 1 forge, 1 cupola furnace, 1 saw
m., 1 plaster m., 1 tannery, 60 dwellings, and about 450
inhabitants. There are in the t. 4 stores, cap. $7,200; 1
fulling m., 1 furnace, 4 forges, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 8 saw m.
Cap. in manuf. §18,650. 1 1 sch. 424 scholars. Pop. 1,658.
Wills, t., Guernsey co., O. It contains the v. of Elizabethtown.
It has 1 college, 3 sch. 125 scholars. Pop. 1,916.
Wills' Creek, p-o., Coshocton co., O., 74 n. e Columbus, 347 W.
The creek from which it is named enters Tuscarawas r., 40 miles
Willseyville, p-o., Candor t., Tioga co., N. Y., 176 w. s. w.
Albany, 290 W.
Willshire, p-t., Van Wert co., O., 133 w. n. w. Columbus, 513 W.
The soil is fertile. Watered by St. Mary's r. It has 2 stores,
cap. $2,400; 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $12,100. Pop.
Wilmurt, t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 35 n. Herkimer, 100 n. n. w.
Albany. It is the largest t. in the state, being 40 miles long
and 15 wide. It abounds with lakes and streams, and is mostly a
wilderness. Pop. 60.
Wilmington, p-t., Windham co., Vt., 17 e. Bennington, 124 s. by
w. Montpelier, 429 W. The soil is fertile, adapted to grazing
and to grain. The e and w. branches of Deerfield r. unite here,
and afford water power. The outlet of Ray's pond affords a mill
seat. Chartered in 1763. It contains a Congregational and a
Baptist church, and some Methodists and Universalists. It has 4
stores, cap. $14,500; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 8 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $7,400. 13 sch. 426 scholars. Pop. 1,296.
Wilmington, p-t., Middlesex co., Mass., 16 n. n. w. Boston, 454
W. The surface is level; soil, light and sandy. Drained by
branches of Pea-body's r., which flows into Ipswich River. The
Boston and Lowell railroad and the Middlesex canal pass through
it. Hops are largely produced and exported. Chartered in 1730.
It has 2 stores, cap. $3,300; 2 forges, 1 grist m., 5 saw-in.
Cap. in manufac. $20,425. 4 sch. 40 scholars. Pop. 859.
Wilmington, p-t., Essex co., N. Y., 153 n. Albany, 528 W. The
surface is mountainous; soil, fertile in the valleys. Drained by
the w. branch of Ausable r., and Saranac river passes through
its N. w. corner. It contains inexhaustible beds of excellent
iron ore. The v. contains 1 church, 2 stores, 1 forgo, 1 grist
m., 1 saw m., and about 20 dwellings. There are in the t. 1
store, cap. $3,000; 9 forges, 1 grist m., 5 saw in. Cap. in
manufac. $7,800. 5 sch. 215 scholars. Pop 928.
Wilmington, City, and port of entry, and semi-capital of New
Castle co., Delaware. Situated between Brandywine and Christiana
creeks, one mile above their junction 2 w. Delaware r., 47 n.
Dover, 23 s. w. Philadelphia, 70 n. e. Baltimore, 110 W. 39° 41'
n. Int., and 75° 28' w. Ion. Pop. 1830, 6,628; 1840, 8,367. It
is regularly laid out, with wide streets crossing each other at
right angles, and built on ground gradually rising to the height
of 112 feet above tidewater, and the situation is healthy and
pleasant. The houses are well built, generally of brick, and
some of them are elegant. The city contains a city hall, 2
market houses, 3 banks, an almshouse, an arsenal, a Friends
boarding school for young ladies, a public library, and 16
places of worship, 3 Episcopal, 3 Presbyterian, 3 Methodist, 2
Friends, 1 Baptist, 1 Roman Catholic, and some others.
Christiana cr. is navigable for vessels requiring 14 feet of
water to the city. On Brandy wine creek are some of the finest
flouring mills in the United States, to which vessels drawing 8
feet of water can come. Wilmington has considerable commerce. It
is extensively engaged in the whale fishery. The tonnage in
1840, was 16,110. It has" a daily communication with
Philadelphia and Baltimore, by railroad. There were in 1840,95
stores, cap. $344,850; 3 lumber yards, cap. $60,000; fisheries,
cap. $170,000; value of machinery produced, $258,500; 1 cotton
fac. 1,140 sp., 2 tanneries, 3 breweries, 2 potteries, 1
ropewalk, 6 flouring m., 1 grist m., 3 printing offices, 2
binderies, 3 weekly, 3 semi-weekly newspapers, 1 periodical.
Cap. in manufac. $459,900. 9acad. 437 students, 14 sch. 991
Wilmington, p-o., Fluvanna co., Va., 53 w. n. w. Richmond, 132
W. Situated on Rivanna r., 14 miles above its mouth, and
contains 2 stores and a few dwellings.
Wilmington, p-v., port of entry, and capital of New Hanover co.,
N. C, 90 s. e. Fayetteville, 148 s. s. E. Raleigh, 365 W.
Situated on the e. side of Capo Fear r , just below the
confluence of the n. e. and n. w. branches, about 35 miles from
the sea. It contains a court house, jail, an academy, 2 banks, 1
Presbyterian and one Episcopal Church, and 4,744 inhabitants,
being the most populous town in the stale. It is well situated
for trade, but the situation is accounted unhealthy. The harbor
admits vessels of 300 tons, but the entrance has a dangerous
shoal. Opposite the town are 2 islands, dividing the river into
3 channels. They afford the finest rice fields in the state. In
1819, 200 buildings were destroyed by fire, at a loss of
$1,000,000. Tonnage 1840, 13,232.
Wilmington, p-v., capital of Clinton co., O., 72 s. w. Columbus,
445 W. Situated on Todd's fork, a branch of Little Miami r. It
contains a j brick court house, a jail, 4 churches, 1
Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, and 1 Friends, 125
dwellings, and about 750 inhabitants. It was laid out in 1810.
Wilmington, p-v., McCracken co., Ky.
Wilmington, p-v., Dearborn co., Ia., 84 s. e. Indianapolis, 520
W. It contains about 200 inhabitants.
Wilmington, p-v., Will co., Ill., 152 n. e. Springfield, 726 W.
Wilmington, island, Ga. Situated in the Savannah r., between the
n. and s. channels, 8 ms. s. e. Savannah. It is 6 miles long and
4 broad, and contains 1 church, and 630 inhabitants.
Wilmore, p-v Cambria co., Pa.
Wilmot, p-t., Merrimac co., N. H., 27 n. w. Concord, 302 W. The
surface is uneven and rough; soil, adapted to grazing. Its
streams are small, and flow into Blackwater river, but afford
some water power. It. has 1 store, cap. $2,000; 1 fulling m., 1
tannery, 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,580. 9 sch. 350 scholars.
Wilna, p-t., Jefferson co., N. Y., 157 n. w. Albany, 446 W. The
surface is generally level; soil, sandy and clay loam, and
moderately fertile. Drained by Indian and Black rs. It contains
the v. of Carthage, at the head of the long falls on Black r.,
above which the r. is navigable for 40 miles, to the high falls,
for steamboats. It has 6 stores, cap. $25,600; 2 commission
houses, cap. $5,000; 2 fulling m., 1 furnace, 1 forge, 1
tannery, 1 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $17,000. 20 sch.
810 scholars. Pop. 2,591.
Wilna, p-v., Houston co., Ga., 60 s. w. Milledgeville, 708 W.
Situated about 6 ms. e. by n. of Perry the capital, and 10 ms.
from Ocmulgee river.
Wilson, County, Tenn. Situated a little n. of
the centre of the state, and contains 430 square ms. Cumberland
r. bounds it on the n., by small tributaries of which, and of
Stone r., it is drained. Capital, Lebanon. There were in 1840,
neat cattle 20,109, sheep 19,309, swine 48,115; wheat 106,413
bush, produced, rye 13,554, Indian corn 2,601,652, oats 164,334,
potatoes 153,990, tobacco 2,313,000 pounds, cotton 295,373; 19
stores, cap. $78,600; 6 woolen fac, 2 cotton fee. 1,556 sp., 81
tanneries, 23 distilleries, 94 grist m., 47 saw m., 1 printing
office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $179,950. 36 sch.
887 scholars. Pop. whites 18,203, slaves 5,988, free col'd 269;
Wilson, p-t., Piscataquis co., Me. Drained by a branch of
Piscataquis r., which flows through Sebec pond in its course. It
has 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Capital in manufac. $1,500. 2 sch. 29
scholars. Pop. 70.
Wilson, p-t., Niagara co., N. Y., 10 n. w. Lockport, 290 w. by
n. Albany, 420 W. The surface is generally level; soil, sandy
and gravelly loam, with some clay. Drained by Howell's and
Tuscarora creeks, flowing into Lake Ontario, which bounds it on
the n. It has 1 store, cap. $5,000; 1 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $6,200. 12 sch. 476 scholars. Pop. 1,753.
Wilson, t., Audrain co., Mo. It has 1 sch. 15 scholars. Pop.
Wilson's, p-o., Anderson co., Tenn., 181 e. Nashville, 508 W.
Wilson's, p-o., Ohio co., Ky., 156 w. s. w. Frankfort, 698 W.
Wilson's Creek, p-o., Abbeville dist., S. C., 112 w. Columbia,
Wilson's Creek, p-o., Graves co., Ky., 287 w. s. w. Frankfort,
Wilson's Cross Roads, p-o., Luzerne co., Pa.
Wilsonville, p-o., Adams co., Pa., 45 s. w. Harrisburg, 85 W.
Wilsonville, p-v., Bath co., Va., 198 w. n. w. Richmond, 178 W.
Wilsonville, p-v., Lincoln co., N. C, 185 w. s. w. Raleigh, 422
Wilsonville, p-v. Shelby co., Ala., 82 e. Tuscaloosa, 772 W.
Situated 8 ms. N. E. of Columbiana, the capital of the county.
Wilsonville, p-v., Spencer co., Ky., 35 w. s. w. Frankfort, 577
W. It contains about 50 inhabitants.
Wilton, p-t., Franklin co., Me., 38 w. n. w. Augusta, 275 W. The
surface is pleasantly diversified; soil, fertile, adapted to
grain. Drained by branches of Sandy r. issuing from 2 ponds.
Incorporated in 1837. It has 7 stores, capital $16,200; 3
fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 furnace, 3 tanneries, 3 grist m., 4
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $39,725. 14 sch. 725 scholars. Pop.
Wilton, p-t., Hillsboro' co., N. H., 40 s. by w. Concord, 454 W.
The surface is rocky and rough; soil, fertile. Drained by
Souhegan River and its branches. Clay and fine building stone
are found. Incorporated in 1762. It has 2 stores, cap. $2,100; 2
fulling m., 2 tanneries, 5 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$6,750. 9 sch. 269 scholars. Pop. 1,033.
Wilton, p-t., Fairfield co., Ct., 74 s. w. Hart-ford, 275 W. The
surface is uneven; soil, a productive gravelly loam. Drained by
Norwalk r., which affords water power. Incorporated in 1802. The
v. contains 1 Congregational and 1 Episcopal Church, and an
academy. There are in the t. 7 stores, cap. $10,000; 2 grist m.,
2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $9,600. 2 acad. 63 students, 11 sch.
631 scholars. Pop. 2,053.
Wilton, p-t., Saratoga co., N. Y., 12 n. Ballston Spa, 43 n.
Albany, 413 W. The surface is hilly on the w., more level on the
e.; soil, sand, and sandy loam. Drained by a tributary of Hudson
r. It has 2 stores, cap. $7,000; 1 fulling m., 2 tanneries, 1
grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,900. 7 sch. 289 scholars.
Wilton, p-v., Granville co., N. C, 34 n. Raleigh, 270 W.
Winchendon, p-t., Worcester co., Mass., 30 n. by w. Worcester,
60 w. n. w. Boston, 419 W. The surface is moderately uneven and
rocky; soil, fertile. Drained by branches of Miller's r., which
afford water power. There is a mineral spring in its n. part,
containing iron and sulphur, where is a small v. containing a
Methodist church. The v. at the centre contains a Congregational
church, and there is a Baptist church in the w. part.
Incorporated in 1764. There are in the t. 3 stores, cap.
$15,000; 1 cotton fac. 3,500 sp., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 7 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $110,550. 13 sch. 345 scholars. Pop. 1,754.
Winchester, p-t., Cheshire co., N. H, 64 s. w. Concord, 118 W.
The surface is level in the s. e., elsewhere uneven; soil,
fertile. Drained by Ashuelot River and its branches, which
afford water power. The v. at the centre, on Ashuelot River,
contains 3 churches, and some mills and manufactories. There is
a manufacturing v. in the w. part. Incorporated in 1753. It has
6 stores, cap. $19,000; 3 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 1 cotton
fac. 400 sp., 1 furnace, 2 tanneries, 4 grist m., 15 saw m., 1
oil m. Cap. in manufac. $94,383. 14 sch. 570 scholars. Pop.
Winchester, p-t., Litchfield co., Ct., 26 n. w. Hartford, 350 W.
The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil, gravelly loam,
adapted to grazing. Watered by Mad r., a branch of Farmington r.
It contains 4 churches, 2 Congregational, 1 Methodist, and 1
Universalist. The 2 latter are in the v. of Clifton, which
contains 4 stores, and about 70 dwellings. A pond near the v.,
3½ ms. long, and three fourths of a m. wide, by its outlet into
Mad r., affords excellent water power. The v. contains extensive
iron works, supplied by ore from Salisbury. Whitingville v., e.
of this, contains a Congregational church, and several
manufacturing establishments. There are in the t. 8 stores, cap.
$20,900; 3 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1 furnace, 9 forges, 3
tanneries, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $138,700. 1
acad. 100 students, 13 sch. 420 scholars. Pop. 1,667.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!