Winchester, VA to Winston, County, MS
Winchester, p-v., capital of Frederick co., Va., 146 n. n. w.
Richmond, 74 W. Situated on Abraham's branch of Opequan cr., a
branch of the Potomac r. Founded in 1752. The streets cross each
other at right angles, and are generally paved, and the houses
are mostly of brick or stone. It contains a court house, jail,
market house, Masonic hall, a lyceum, 13 churches, 2
Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, 3 Baptist, 2 Methodist, 2 Lutheran, 1
German Reformed, 1 Friends, and 1 Roman Catholic, an academy, 2
banks, besides 1 for savings, numerous stores, 2 furnaces, 2
breweries, 3 carriage fac, 7 flouring m., 1 carpet fac, 1 cotton
fac, and 3,454 inhabitants. The v. is supplied by water from a
spring, half a m. distant, through cast iron pipes. A railroad
extends to Harper's Ferry, where it unites with the Baltimore
railroad. Its trade is extensive, and its advantages are great.
It is memorable for important events in the French war, and for
the succors which it afforded to "that heroic youth, Colonel
Winchester, t., Adams co., O. Drained by a branch of Brush cr.
Until recently, it was a part of Scott t. It is situated in the
n. w. corner of the co. It has 18 stores, cap. $39,720; 2
tanneries, 1 printing office, 1 grist m., 1 oil m. Cap. in
manufac. $4,623. Pop. 1,121.
Winchester, p-v., Madison t., Guernsey co., O., 87 e. Columbus,
311 W. It contains about 50 inhabitants.
Winchester, p-v., capital of Clarke co., Ky., 44 e. s. e.
Frankfort, 545 W. It contains a court house, jail, 2 churches,
and 1,047 inhabitants.
Winchester, p-v., capital of Franklin co., Tenn., 94 s. s. e.
Nashville, 664 W. Situated on a small branch of Elk r., and
contains a court house, jail, a church, and about 700
Winchester, p-v., capital of Randolph co., Ia., 81 e. n. e.
Indianapolis, 506 W. It contains a court house, jail, 4 stores,
and about 250 inhabitants.
Winchester, p-v., capital of Scott co., Ill., 15 s. w.
Jacksonville, 50 w. s. w. Springfield, 830 W. It has 11 stores,
cap. $15,800; 2 tanneries, 1 pottery, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m.,
1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $16,600. 1 acad. 60 students, 2 sch.
69 scholars. Pop. 720.
Winchester, p-v., Van Buren co., Iowa.
Winchester, p-v., capital of Wayne co., Miss , 151 e. s. e.
Jackson, 982 W. Situated on the e. side of Chickasawha r., and
contains about 50 inhabitants.
Winchester, p-v., Clarke co., Mo., 165 n. by e. Jefferson City,
916 W. It contains about 75 inhabitants.
Winchester Centre, p-v., Winchester t., Litchfield co., Ct, 31
n. w. Hartford, 355 W. It contains a Congregational church, and
a number of dwellings.
Winchester Springs, p-o., Franklin co., Tenn., 90 s. s. e.
Nashville, 670 W.
Windfall, p-o., Onondaga co., N. Y., 144 w. Albany, 346 W.
Wind Gap, p-o., Northumberland co., Pa., 110 n. Harrisburg, 203
W. The Wind Gap is an opening in the Blue mt., extending nearly
from the bottom to the top, the sides of which are very abrupt.
No stream passes through it. It is 15 ms. from the celebrated
Water Gap, through which Delaware r. flows. Some have supposed
that it once passed through this passage. The road from Easton
to Wilkesbarre passes through it.
Windham, County, Vt. Situated in the s. e. part
of the state, and contains 780 sq. ms. Connecticut r. bounds it
on the e. The surface is hilly, and in the w. part mountainous;
soil, various; on Connecticut r. are fertile alluvial meadows,
in its more uneven parts, well adapted to grazing. Drained by
Williams, West, and Saxton rivers and their branches, which
afford extensive water power. Capital, Fayetteville; v. in
Newfane t. There were in 1840, neat cattle 42,661, sheep
114,336, swine 29,435; wheat 23,796 bush, produced, rye 33,502,
Ind. corn 139,923, buckwheat 13,3S7, barley 8,129, oats 178,761,
potatoes 743,366, silk cocoons 513 pounds, sugar 423,400; 80
stores, cap. $350,585; 2 furnaces, 19 fulling m., 8 woolen fac,
1 cotton fac. 60 sp., 29 tanneries, 49 grist m., 134 saw m., 1
oil m., 7 paper fac, 4 printing offices, 1 periodical, 3 weekly
newspapers. Cap. in manufac $567,800. 4 acad. 501 students, 248
sch. 9,138 scholars. Pop. 27,412.
Windham, County, Ct. Situated in the n. e. part
of the state, and contains 620 sq. ms. The surface is uneven,
and some of it stony and rough; soil, generally adapted to
grazing, with j fertile alluvial meadows on the streams. Drained
by Quinnebaug and Shetucket rivers and their branches, which
afford extensive water power. The Norwich and Worcester railroad
passes through it from s. to n. It has extensive manufactories,
particularly in its n. e. part. Organized in 1726. Capital,
Brooklyn. There were in 1840, neat cattle 23,597, sheep 39,504,
swine 12,562; wheat 8,999 bush, produced, rye 48,278, Ind. corn
173,003, buckwheat 30,653, barley 5,904, oats 179,027, potatoes
497,991, silk cocoons 3,001 pounds, sugar 2,549; 115 stores,
cap. $309,750; 1 furnace, 8 fulling m., 15 woolen fac, 54 cotton
fac. 105,016 sp., 19 tanneries, 1 distillery, 57 grist m., 109
saw m., 50 oil m., 3 paper fac. Cap. in manufac. $2,223,387. 8
acad. 317 students, 166 sch. 7,749 scholars. Pop. 28,080.
Windham, p-t., Cumberland co., Me., 14 n. n. w. Portland, 56 s.
s. e. Augusta, 553 W. Presumpscot r. bounds it on the s. w., by
branches of which it is watered, and which afford water power.
Incorporated in 1762. A pond in its n. w. part flows into
Presumpscot r., and Sebago pond lies on its n. w. border. It has
5 stores, cap. $2,250; 1 tannery, 18 sch. 620 scholars. Pop.
Windham, p-t., Rockingham co., N. H., 40 s. e. Concord, 457 W.
Beaver r. bounds it on the w. Policy pond lies on its e. border,
and Cabot pond near the centre. Incorporated in 1739. It
contains a Presbyterian church. It has 2 stores, cap. $5,500; 3
fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 tannery, 2 grist m., 8 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $32,800. 7 sch. 298 scholars. Pop. 926.
Windham, p-t., Windham co., Vt., 104 s. Montpelier, 452 W. The
surface is elevated, and on the w. mountainous; soil, strong and
well adapted to grazing. Drained by branches of Williams, West,
and Saxton rivers, which afford water power. It contains 2
Congregational and 1 Baptist church, and some Methodists and
Universalists. Crystals of actinolite are found imbedded in
talc. It has 2 stores, cap. $8,000; 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 7 saw
m. Cap. in manufac. $4,100. 9 sch. 275 scholars. Pop. 757.
Windham, p-t., Windham co., Ct., 31 e. Hartford, 358 W. It was
formerly the capital of the co. Chartered in 1692, first settled
in 1686. Watered by Shetucket r. and its branches, which afford
good water power. It contains the flourishing manufacturing v.
of Willimantic in its N. w. part, and the parish of Scotland in
its e. part, where is a v. containing a Congregational church.
The principal v., near the centre, contains 1 Congregational and
1 Episcopal church, a bank, an academy, 6 stores, and about 60
dwellings. It has not increased since the American Revolution.
The county seat was removed to Brooklyn in 1820. There are in
the t. 11 stores, cap. $48,000; 2 fulling m., 3 woolen fac, 5
cotton fac. 11,950 sp., 1 tannery, 2 paper fac, 3 grist m., 7
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $361,350. 18 sch. 928 scholars. Pop.
Windham, p-t., Greene co., N. Y., 18 w. Catskill, 45 s. w.
Albany, 363 W. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil,
fertile in the valleys. Watered by Bataviakill cr. It has 16
stores, cap. $16,600; 5 tanneries, 3 grist m., 17 saw m. Cap. in
manufac. $50,100. 10 sch. 203 scholars. Pop. 2,417.
Windham, p-t., Bradford co., Pa., 162 n. by e. Harrisburg, 272
W. The surface is hilly; soft, gravel. Drained by Wepassening
cr., which flows into Susquehanna r. It has 3 grist m., 9 saw m.
Cap. in manufac. $8,110. 4 sch. 150 scholars. Pop. 879.
Windham, t. Luzerne co., Pa., 25 n. w. Wilkesbarre. The surface
is mountainous; soil, generally fertile. Drained by Big and
Little Mahoopeny creeks. It has 2 stores, cap. $7,200; 1 fulling
m., 1 tannery, 2 flouring m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,100.
9 sch. 304 scholars. Pop. 1,647.
Windham, p-t., Portage co., O., 159 n. e. Columbus, 315 W. The
surface is undulating; soil, fertile. Its name was changed from
Sharon in 1820. It is a flourishing agricultural t. It has 1
acad. 76 students, 8 sch. 217 scholars. Pop. 907.
Windham Centre, p-v., Windham t., Greene co., N; Y., 49 s. w.
Albany, 360 W. It contains 1 church, 3 stores, 1 grist m., 2 saw
m., 2 tanneries, and about 40 dwellings. The v. at the centre
contains a Congregational church, a flourishing academy, and a
small agricultural settlement. The t. is inhabited by
Windham Mill, p-o., Montgomery co., N. C, 131 w. s. w. Raleigh,
Windsor, County, Vt. Situated toward the s. e.
part of the state, and contains 900 sq. ms. Watered by Queechee
and Black rivers, and brandies of West and Williams' rivers.
Bounded on the e. by Connecticut r., into which all of its
streams flow. The surface is uneven; soil, generally fertile.
Steatite or soapstone is found in Plymouth, Broadwater and
Bethel, and extensively wrought. Limestone is found. Capital,
Woodstock. There were in 1840, neat cattle 51,863, sheep
234,826, swine 22,834; wheat 56,659 bush, produced, rye 46,126,
Ind. corn 168,897, buckwheat 49,380, barley 5,164, oats 301,026,
potatoes 1,072,753, silk cocoons 1,146 pounds, hops 2,100, sugar
462,444; 100 stores, cap. $472,400; 4 furnaces, 57 fulling m.,
27 woolen fac, 1 cotton fac. 650 sp., 45 tanneries, 1 rope fac,
46 grist m., 154 saw m., 1 oil m., 2 paper fac, 4 printing
offices, 2 binderies, 2 periodicals, 5 weekly newspapers. Cap.
in manufac $382,620. 1 college, 70 students, 7 acad. 558
students, 357 sch. 13,054 scholars. Pop. 40,356.
Windsor, p-t., Kennebec co., Me., 10 e. Augusta, 605 W. Drained
by Sheepscot r., and by several ponds which flow into it. The
surface is diversified; soil, generally fertile, adapted to
grain. Chartered in 1809, by the name of Malta. It has 2 stores,
cap. $2,000; 1 fulling m., 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 7 saw m. Cap.
in manufac. $9,350. 15 sch. 758 scholars. Pop. 1,789.
Windsor, t., Hillsboro' co., N. H. Formerly called Campbell's
Gore. Incorporated in 1798. Drained by branches of Contoocook
r., one of which issues from a considerable pond near the centre
of the t. The soil is fertile, adapted to grazing, and some of
it to grain. It has 1 grist j m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$2,000. 4 sch. 63 scholars. Pop. 177.
Windsor, p-t., capital of Windsor co., Vt., 65 Montpelier, 471
W. The surface is uneven; soil, fertile. Connecticut r. bounds
it on the e. Drained by Mill r., which affords water power. The
v. is situated on the w. side of Connecticut r. Between the v.
and the r. is a beautiful meadow, one fourth of a m. wide. It
has Mill r. on the s., and Pulk-hole brook on the n. and n. w.,
both of which enter Connecticut r. These streams form a narrow
isthmus on the w. side of the v. The surface is uneven, and the
main street is serpentine in its course. It contains 3 churches,
a court house for U. States courts, a seminary for young
gentlemen and ladies, a bank, a state's prison, 9 stores, 1
grist m., 1 saw m., a printing office, issuing a weekly
newspaper, and many elegant houses, beautifully ornamented with
trees and shrubbery. Mill r. has a fall of 60 feet in one third
of a m., and affords good water power. Brownsville v., in the w.
part of the t., contains a Methodist church and 2 stores; and
Sheddsville, in the same part, has a church common to the
Freewill Baptists and Universalists. The t. contains 2,428
sheep. On the s. border of the t. is Ascutney Mountain, 3,320
feet above tidewater. There are in the t. 9 stores, cap.
$40,500; 3 fulling m., 2 woolen fac, 1 furnace, 3 tanneries, 1
printing office, 2 periodicals, 2 weekly newspapers, 5 grist m.,
8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $35,490. 18 sch. Pop. 2,744.
Windsor, p-t., Berkshire co., Mass., 123 w. Boston, 388 W. The
surface is elevated and broken; soil, well adapted to grazing.
Drained by a branch of Westfield r., issuing from a pond in its
n. e. part, and by a branch of Housatonic r. in the s. w. part.
It occupies the height of land between Connecticut and
Housatonic rivers. The v. contains 1 Congregational and 1
Baptist church. It has 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,450. 10 sch.
207 scholars. Pop. 897.
Windsor, p-t., Hartford co., Ct., 7 n. Hartford, 343 W. This
venerable t., one of the oldest in Ct., was first settled in
1636. The surface is generally level; soil, sandy or gravelly
loam; with fine meadows. Connecticut r. bounds it on the e.
Farmington r. passes through it, and here enters Connecticut r.,
affording good water power. The principal v. is on a single
street, 2 or 3 ms. long, containing a Congregational church,
several stores, and a number of handsome dwellings, beautifully
shaded with trees. A bridge here crosses Farmington or Tuxis r.
Poquonock v. is pleasantly situated at the head of navigation on
Farmington r. Pine Meadow is a manufacturing v. in the n. e.
part of the t., at the commencement of the canal around Enfield
falls, in Connecticut r. There are in the t. 6 stores, cap.
$18,600; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 3 cotton fac. 570 sp., 1
tannery, 3 paper fac, 5 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$155,300. 1 acad. 39 students, 9 sch. 287 scholars. Pop. 2,283.
Windsor, p-t, Broome co., N. Y., 12 s. e. Binghamton, 126 s. w.
Albany, 300 W. The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil,
productive in the valleys. Drained by Susquehanna r. and its
tributaries. The v. is situated on the w. side of Susquehanna
r., and contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, 4
stores, 1 oil m., 1 carding machine, 60 dwellings, and about 400
inhabitants. There are in the t. 3 stores, capital $11,000; 1
fulling m., 2 tanneries, 3 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac.
$3,500. 20 sch. 685 scholars. Pop. 2,368.
Windsor, p-t., York co., Pa., 42 s. Harrisburg, 102 W. The
surface is hilly; soil, gravelly ! loam. Watered by Grist and
Fish creeks, and! Cabin Branch and Beaver runs.
Windsor, t., Berks co., Pa. Schuylkill r. and canal pass along
its w. boundary, and Maiden cr. j on the e. Blue mountain
occupies the n. w. part. The surface is hilly; soil, gravelly
and i sterile. It contains a church, common to Lutherans and
Presbyterians, near the centre, and another near Hamburg v., in
the n. w. part. It has 1 store, cap. $9,000; 2 tanneries, 6
distilleries, 1 grist m., 1 oil m. Pop. 2,832.
Windsor, p-v., Bertie co., N. C., 157 Raleigh, 260 W. Situated
on the w. side of Cashie r., a branch of Roanoke r. The r. is
navigable to this place for vessels of from 80 to 100 tons. It
contains a court house, jail, county offices, and an Episcopal
church. It is surrounded by a fertile country, and is well
situated for trade, but is unhealthy, owing to swamps on the
margin of the r.
Windsor, p-v., Walton co., Ga., 71 n. n. w. Milledgeville, 645
W. Situated on a head branch of Ocmulgee r.
Windsor, p-t., Ashtabula co., O., 126 n. e. Columbus, 327 W.
Grand r. runs along its e. boundary, alternately crossing it, by
branches of which it is drained. Organized in 1810. It contains
a quarry of grindstones. It has 2 stores, cap. Si, 100; 1
furnace, 2 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 4
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,954. Pop. 876.
Windsor, p-t., Lawrence co., O., 110 s. s. e. Columbus, 410 W.
(Post-office called Windsor Cross Roads.) Drained by Symmes and
Indian Guyandot creeks, flowing into Ohio r. It has 6 sch. 125
scholars. Pop. 815.
Windsor, p-v., Randolph co., Ia., 71 e. n. e. Indianapolis, 516
W. Situated on Stony cr.
Windsor, p-v., Bureau co., Ill., 119 n. Springfield, 814 W. It
contains 1 church, 4 stores, and about 150 inhabitants.
Windsor Locks, p-v., Windsor t., Hartford co., Ct., 12 n.
Hartford, 348 W. Situated in Pine Meadow v. (See Windsor t.)
Winesburg, p-v., Paint t., Holmes co., O., 105 n. e. Columbus,
331 W. It contains 1 store, and 12 or 15 dwellings.
Winfield, p-t., Herkimer co., N. Y., 76 w. Albany, 375 W. The
surface is rolling; soil, a fertile calcareous and sandy loam.
Drained by head branches of Unadilla r. It has 5 stores, cap.
$17,400; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac, 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 1
distillery, 3 grist m., 11 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $27,750. 11
sch. 490 scholars. Pop. 1,652.
Wing, t., Lucas co., O. It has 2 sch. 48 scholars. Pop. 145.
Wingville, p-v., Grant co., Wis., 67 w. Madison. 899 W.
Winhall, p-t., Bennington co., Vt., 97 s. by w. Montpelier, 434
W. The surface is rough, being situated in part on the Green
mountain range. Drained by Winhall r., a branch of West r.,
which affords water power. Chartered in 1761. It has 1 store,
cap. $200; 2 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $900. 6 sch.
200 scholars. Pop. 576.
Winnebago, lake, situated between Fond du Lac and Calumet
counties, Wisconsin ter., and is 24 ms. long and 10 broad. The
water is clear. Its outlet, in the n. w. part, is Fox r., winch
also enters it on the w. part, and is a large stream, flowing
into Green bay.
Winnebago, County, Wis. Situated in the n. part
of the settled portion of the ter., and contains 500 sq. ms.
Drained by Neenah or Fox and Panwaygun rivers, and their
branches. Capital, Oshkosh. There were in 1840, neat cattle 184,
swine 147; Ind. corn 1,090 bush produced, potatoes 1,980, sugar
4,400 pounds; 1 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5.000. Pop.
Winnebago, County, Ill. Situated in the n. part
of the state, and contains 504 sq. ms. Drained by Rock r., and
its branch Kishwaukie r., and by Peckatonokee r. The surface is
undulating; soil, fertile. Formed in 1836. Capital. Rockford.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 4,711, sheep 804, swine 12,374;
wheat 68,315 bush, produced, 1ml. corn 127,377, buckwheat 1,399,
oats 50,117, potatoes 79,136, tobacco 115,410 pounds, sugar
13,823; 18 stores, cap. $80,000: 1 fulling m., 2 distilleries,
23 potteries. 1 Homing m., 1 grist m., 10 saw in., 2 printing
offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $69,225. 26 sch.
606 scholars. Pop. 4,609.
Winnemac, p-v., capital of Pulaski co., Ia., 100 n. by w.
Indianapolis, 638 W. It contains a United States land office.
Winnicut, r., N. H., a tributary of Piscataqua r., which enters
through Great bay.
Winnipiseogee, lake and r., N. H. Situated between Belknap and
Carroll counties. It is irregular in its form, 22 ms. long, and
from 1 to 10 broad, and forms one of the most beautiful and
picturesque sheets of water in the United States. The water is
remarkably pure and very deep, fed extensively by springs at its
bottom. Steam-boats and small vessels navigate it in the sum-mer
season. Its winding shores, projecting points, its multiplied
islands, and its fine surrounding mountain scenery, combine to
form an assemblage of beauty and grandeur unsurpassed by the
far-famed lakes of Scotland, or any other part of the world. Its
outlet, proceeding from Great bay on the s. w., through 2 small
lakes, forms Winnipiseogee r. which flows into Pemigewasset r.
to form Merrimac r., having a fall of 232 feet in its short
course, affording extensive water power. The lake is 472 feet
above the level of the sea.
Winns, p-o., Hall co., Ga., 122 n. Milledgeville, 631 W.
Winnsborough, p-v.. capital of Fairfield disk, S. C, 29 n. n. w.
Columbia, 4S0 W. It is Situated between Wateree and Little
rivers, and contains a court house, jail, market house, 1 male
and 1 female academy, 4 churches, 2 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal,
and 1 Methodist, 12 stores, 100 dwellings, and about 700
inhabitants. In the vicinity is a literary and theological
seminary, under the direction of the Baptists, denominated "The
Furnace Institution, for educating young men for the ministry.
It has several fine buildings of brick.
Winnsville, p-o., Fluvanna co., Va., 60 w. n. w. Richmond, 134
Winslow, p-t., Kennebec co., Me., 20 n. by e. Augusta, 615 W.
The surface is undulating; soil, generally fertile, and well
cultivated Kennebec r. bounds it on the w. Watered by
Sebasticook r. and its tributaries, one of which flows from a
pond near its centre. It has 2 stores, cap. $7,000; 1 fulling
m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,250. 14 sch. 733 scholars. Pop.
Winslow, p-v., Gloucester co., N. J., 54 s. Trenton, 164 W.
Winslow, p-v., Pike co., Ia., 146 s. s. w. Indianapolis, 685 W.
Winston, County, Miss. Situated a little n. e. of the
centre of the state, and contains 720 sq. ms. Drained by
branches of Pearl and Tombigbee rivers. Capital, Louisville.
There were in 1840, neat cattle 8,729, sheep 1,224, swine
12,898; wheat 8,843 bush, produced, Ind. corn 209,165, oats
8,495, potatoes 22,971, rice 4,005 pounds, tobacco 2,475, cotton
1,108,607; 3 stores, cap. $25,000; 2 tanneries, 9 grist ra., 5
saw m. Cap. in manufac. $25,800. 1 acad. 18 students, 1 sch. 29
scholars. Pop. whites 3,061, slaves 1,589; total, 4,650.
Table of Contents
Source: A Complete Descriptive And
Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel
Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith,
This book is a joint project between
members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and
Susan Dorris our finder!
Please Come Back Again!!