American History and Genealogy Project

Xinia, OH to York Sulphur Springs, PA

Page 743

Xenia, p-t., capital of Greene co., O., 61 w. s. w. Columbus, 454 W. The t. is large and populous. Drained by Little Miami r. and its branches, and by Cesar's cr. The v. is situated on Shawnee cr., 3 ms. from its entrance into Little Miami r. It is regularly laid out, with streets crossing each other at right angles, and contains a court house and county offices of brick, a jail of stone, 4 churches in the v. and immediate vicinity, 10 stores, and about 1,200 inhabitants. It has many handsome dwellings, and is surrounded by a highly cultivated country. The t. has 18 stores, cap. $70,500; 1 fulling m., 1 woolen fac.,, 1 distillery, 3 printing offices, 3 weekly newspapers, 5 flouring m., 8 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $17,380. 11 sch. 297 scholars. Pop. 4,913.

"Y"

Yadkin, r., N. C, rises in the Alleghany mountains on the e. side, and flows e. and s. e. into S. C., and in its lower part it takes the name of Great Pedee, until it falls into Winyaw bay, near Georgetown. In Montgomery co., N. C., it passes through the Narrows, occasioned by mountains on each side, where it is contracted from 200 yds. wide to about 30; and a few miles below it receives Rocky r., below which it becomes the Great Pedee. By a canal around the narrows, and clearing obstructions from the r., it might be made navigable for boats of 10 tons from Wilkesboro', in the mountains, to Cheraw, S. C., a distance of 247 miles.

Yalabusha, county, Miss. Situated centrally toward the n. part of the state, and contains 720 sq ms. Drained by Yalabusha r. and its branches. Capital, Coffeeville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 14,976, sheep 4,298, swine 33,512; wheat 14,953 bush. produced, Ind. corn 543,685, oats 32,660, potatoes 27,739, tobacco 4, 110 pounds, cotton 4,030,644; 1 commission house, capital $3,000; 23 stores, cap. $109,600; 5 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 1 flouring m., 44 grist m., 13 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $71,930. 2 acad. 65 students, 21 sch. 558 scholars. Pop. whites 6,440, slaves 5,601, free col'd 7; total, 12,248.

Yancey, county, N. C. Situated in the w. part of the slate, and contains 1,760 sq. ms. It contains the highest land in the United States, e. of the Rocky mts. Black mt. is elevated 6,476 feet above the ocean. It has a copperas mine. Drained by Nolachucky r. and its branches. Capital. Burnsville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 5,585, sheep 5,041, swine 18,718; wheat 6 320 bush. produced, rye 2,848, Ind. corn 405,390, oats 33,670, potatoes 89,731, tobacco 4,830 pounds, 2 forges, 42 grist m., 3 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $1,500. Pop. whites 5,681, slaves 254, free col'd 27; total, 5,962.

Yancey's Mills, p-o., Albemarle co., Va., 101 w. n. w. Richmond, 136 W.

Yanceyville, p-v., capital of Caswell co., N. C., 87 N. w. Raleigh, 263 W. It contains a court house, jail, and 250 inhabitants.

Yankee Springs, p-t., Barry co., Mich., 150 w. Detroit, 615 W. Pop. 130.

Yantic, r., Ct., rises in Lebanon, and falls into Thames r., at Norwich city, through a cove which sets up 1 m. from the r. At its mouth it falls over a ledge of granite rocks, where circular holes 5 or 6 feet deep are worn in the rocks by stones whirled round in them by the force of the water. At the foot of the falls on the w. side is a rocky bank 60 or 80 feet high, projecting over the stream, from which the Mohegan Indians formerly plunged to destruction, when pursued by their enemies, the Narragansets. The falls here afford excellent water power, where are many mills and manufactories.

Yardleyville, p-v., Makefield t., Bucks co., Pa., 18 s. e. Doylestown, 128 e. Harrisburg, 168 W. Situated on the w. bank of Delaware r., and contains 2 stores, 1 grist m., 1 saw m., and about 25 dwellings. A ferry here crosses Delaware river.

Yardleyville, p-o., Mercer co., N. J., 6 e. Trenton, 172 W.

Yarmouth, p-t., Barnstable co., Mass., 78 s. e. Boston, 479 W. It extends across Cape Cod. The soil is sandy and sterile. Incorporated in 1639. It has 2 villages. South Yarmouth v. is situated on Bass r., and contains 3 churches--1 Congregational, 1 Baptist, and 1 Friends--and extensive salt works. It has a number of vessels employed in the cod and mackerel fisheries, and the coasting trade. There are in the t. 13 stores, cap. $40,700; 1 tannery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 6 grist m. Cap. in manufactures $24,700. 1 acad. 45 students, 13 sch. 627 scholars. Pop. 2,554.

Yarmouth Port, p-v., Yarmouth t., Barnstable co., Mass., 77 s. e. Boston, 478 W. Situated on a branch of Cape Cod bay, and contains 1 Congregational and 1 Methodist church, a bank, and a printing office, issuing a weekly newspaper.

Page 744

Yates, County, N. Y. Situated w. of the centre of the state, and contains 320 sq. ms. Seneca lake bounds it on the e., and Canandaigua lake on the n. w. Crooked lake enters its s. part, and has its outlet through it into Seneca lake, affording good water power. The surface is pleasantly diversified; soil, clay, and a warm, fertile mold, producing grain and fruits abundantly. Organized in 1823. Crooked Lake canal connects that lake with Seneca lake, and thus with the Erie canal. Capital, Penn Yan. There were in 1840, neat cattle 16,989, sheep 86,876, swine 18,475; wheat 352,814 bush. produced, rye 2,102, Indian corn 104,066, buckwheat 20,891, barley 30,994, oats 162,483, potatoes 170,318, hops 2,000 pounds, sugar 39,384; 51 stores, cap. $162,635; 3 furnaces, 14 fulling m., 3 woolen fac., 8 tanneries, 2 distilleries, 7 flouring m., 13 grist m., 62 saw m., 1 oil m., 2 printing offices, 1 periodical, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $343,872. 112 sch. 6,207 scholars. Pop. 20,444.

Yates, p-t., Orleans co., N. Y., 12 n. Albion, 266 w. by n. Albany, 409 W. The surface is level; soil, sandy and clay loam. Drained by Johnson's cr., and other small streams flowing into Lake Ontario, which bounds it on the n. It has 5 stores, cap. $17,550; 1 fulling m., 1 furnace, 1 tannery, 1 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $15,950. 14 sch. 663 scholars. Pop. 2,230.

Yatesville, p-o., Potter t., Yates co., N. Y., 197 w. Albany, 330 W.

Yatesville, p-o., Lunenburg co., Va., 89 s. w. Richmond, 208 W.

Yazoo, r., Miss., formed by the junction of Tallahatchee and Yalabusha rivers, in Carroll co., and flows s. s. w. into the Mississippi r., 12 ms. above the Walnut Hills. It receives Sun Flower r., a considerable branch from the n. It is navigable for 50 ms. for large boats, in high stages of the water, and is 100 yards wide at its mouth.

Yazoo, County, Miss. Situated w. of the centre of the state, and contains 650 sq. ms. Bounded by Yazoo r. on the n. w., and by Big Black r., on the s. e., and drained by branches of both. Capital, Benton. There were in 1840, neat cattle 19,032, sheep 2,636, swine 30,179; wheat 834 bush. produced, rye 1,746, Indian corn 536,340, oats 81,035, potatoes 139,964, rice 7,350 pounds, tobacco 2,705, cotton 12,085,802; 9 commission houses, cap. $12,000; 24 stores, cap. $183,616; 2 grist m., 3 saw m , 2 printing offices, 2 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $14,305. 11 sch. 255 scholars. Pop. whites 3,116, slaves 7,339, free col'd 25; total, 10,480.

Yazoo City, p-v., Yazoo co., Miss., 60 n. w. Jackson, 1,029 W. Situated on the e. side of Yazoo r., and contains several stores, and about 700 inhabitants.

Yell, county, Ark. Situated toward the n. w. part of the state, and contains 936 square miles. Drained by Petite Jean, and other tributaries of Arkansas r., which last runs on its n. e. border. Capital, Danville.

Yellow Branch, p-o., Campbell co., Va., 130 w. Richmond, 208 W.

Yellow Creek, p-o., Northampton t., Summit co., O., 135 n. e. Columbus, 343 W. Situated in Niles v., on the w. side of Cuyahoga r., on the Ohio canal.

Yellow Creek, t., Columbiana co., O. It contains Wellsville v. Pop. 805.

Yellow Creek, p-o., Knox co., Ky., 146 s. e. Frankfort, 492 W.

Yellow Creek, p-t., Chariton co., Mo., 111 n. w. Jefferson City, 1,005 W. Pop. 388.

Yellow Creek Furnace, p-o., Montgomery co., Tenn., 36 w. n. w. Nashville, 747 Washington.

Yellow Springs, p-o., Huntingdon co., Pa., 106 w. Harrisburg, 162 W.

Yellow Springs, p-v., Miami t., Greene co., O., 52 s. w. Columbus, 445 W. Here is a sulphur spring, much resorted to as a watering place, having a commodious hotel and numerous cottages, spread over green lawns and delightful groves.

Yellow Springs, p-o., Claiborne co., Tenn., 233 e. Nashville, 472 W.

Yellow Springs, p-o., Johnson co., Ia., 16 s. Indianapolis, 580 W.

Yellow Springs, p-o., Hampshire co., Va., 169 n. n. w. Richmond, 97 W.

Yellow Spring, p-o., Des Moines co., Iowa.

Yellow Stone, p-o., Hawkins co., Tenn., 254 e. Nashville, 428 W.

Yellow Water, r., Ala. and Flor., rises in Covington co., Ala., and flows s. s. w. into Flor., through which it passes, and enters an arm of Pensacola bay.

Yellville, p-v., capital of Marion co., Ark., 180 n. Little Rock, 1,106 W. Situated on the n. e. side of a branch of White r., and contains a court house, jail, and about 75 inhabitants.

Yelvington, p-v., Daviess co., Ky., 156 w. by s. Frankfort, 683 W.

Yocumtown, p-v., York co., Pa., 21 s. Harrisburg, 113 W.

Youngesville, p-v., Fairfield dist., S. C., 41 n. Columbia, 468 W. Situated on Little r., and contains about 75 inhabitants.

Yonkers, p-t., Westchester co., N. Y., 132 s. Albany, 242 W. The surface is uneven and broken; soil, clay and sandy loam, generally well cultivated. Watered by Bronx and Saw Mill rivers, flowing into Hudson r., which bounds it on the w. The v. is situated on the e. side of Hudson r., at the mouth of Saw Mill r., and contains 1 Episcopal and 1 Methodist church, a female seminary, beautifully situated, 5 stores, 1 grist m., several saw m., 60 dwellings, and about 400 inhabitants. Steamboats land and receive passengers here daily. It is surrounded by fine scenery. There are in the t. 3 acad. 75 students, 5 sch. 210 scholars. Pop. 2,968.

York, r., Me. A short stream in York county, which enters the Atlantic by a broad mouth which affords a good harbor, for 7 or 8 ms., with a depth of water sufficient for vessels of 200 tons burden.

York, r., Va. Formed by the junction of Pamunkey and Mattapony rivers. Its lower part forms a bay, generally 2 or 3 ms. wide, until it enters Chesapeake bay, between York and Gloucester counties. At Yorktown, where it is contracted to 1 m. wide, it forms the best harbor in Va., and it is navigable for large vessels 20 miles above this. It is about 120 miles long to its remote sources.

York, County, Me. Situated in the s. w. part of the state, and contains 818 square miles. The surface is uneven and rough; soil, hard and rocky on the coast, but more fertile in the interior. The Atlantic bounds it on the s. e., along which are fine harbors, and several lighthouses. Capital, Alfred. There were in 1840, neat cattle 50,010, sheep 69,477, swine 14,391; wheat 55,886 bushels produced, rye 23,140, Ind. corn 230,650, buckwheat 6,046, barley 40,670, oats 102,413, potatoes 1,123,441, sugar 26,084; 245 stores, cap. $313,150; 2 lumber yards, cap. $2,500; 22 fulling m., 7 woollen fac., 5 cotton fac. 25,736 spindles, 101 tanneries, 6 potteries, 4 printing offices, 4 weekly newspapers, 90 grist m., 157 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $1,604,425. Pop. 54,034.

York, County, Pa. Situated in the s., toward the e. part of the state, and contains 864 sq. ms. Susquehanna r. runs on its n. e. border. Drained by Cadorus, Conewago, and Yellow Breeches creeks. The surface is uneven; soil, generally very fertile. Capital, York. There were in 1840, neat cattle 34,425, sheep 36,347, swine 56,297; wheat 357,515 bushels produced, rye 363,886, Indian corn 600,822, barley 1,714, oats 597,044, buckwheat 12,999, potatoes 172,246, tobacco 162,748 lbs.; 159 stores, cap. $528,575; 17 lumber yards, cap. $90,000; 7 fulling m., 10 woollen fac., 53 tanneries, 216 distilleries, 4 breweries, 9 potteries, 4 paper fac., 6 printing offices, 7 weekly newspapers, 7 flouring m., 132 grist m., 104 saw m., 9 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $990,010. 2 acad. 50 students, 130 sch. 3,749 scholars. Pop. 47,010. Page 745

York, County, Va. Situated in the s. e. part of the state, and contains 150 sq. ms. Chesapeake bay bounds it on the s. e., and York r. on the n. e. The soil is generally fertile. Capital, Yorktown. It has 6 sch. 170 scholars. Pop. 4,720.

York, District, S. C. Situated in the n. part of the state, and contains 800 sq. ms. Watered by Catawba r., which bounds it on the s. e., and Broad r., which bounds it on the w. Drained by branches of these rivers, the chief of which are Turkey. Bullocks, King's, and Buffalo creeks. The surface consists of plains, inclining to Catawba and Broad rivers. Capital, Yorkville. There were in 1840, neat cattle 13,695, sheep 7,949, swine 24,021; wheat 64,021 bushels produced, rye 44,738, Ind. corn 478.833, oats 44,148, potatoes 12,175, rice 5,200 lbs., tobacco 3,942, cotton 866,594; 14 stores, cap. $96,500; 3 tanneries, 24 distilleries, 1 pottery, 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper, 6 flouring m., 21 grist m., 15 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $37,428. 1 acad. 33 students, 29 sch. 679 scholars. Pop. 18,383.

York, p-t., port of entry, York co., Me., 45 s. w. by s. Portland, 92 s. w. Augusta, 502 W. On the seacoast the surface is rocky and rough; soil, barren, but fertile near the v. Watered by York r., which enters the Atlantic by a wide mouth, and Cape Neddock r. Agamenticus mt. lies in its n. w. part, a noted landmark for seamen, the summit of which presents an extensive prospect. Incorporated in 1653. The v. is situated on the n. side of York r., one mile from the sea, formerly the capital of the co., has a good harbor, which admits vessels of 250 tons, and is regularly laid out, with streets crossing each other at right angles. It has some shipping, employed chiefly in the fisheries. It was originally designed for a large city, but has not equaled the expectations of its early founders. On Cape Neddock, a rocky promontory, on the s. side of a river of the same name, in the town, is a lighthouse. It has 11 stores, cap. $7,750; 2 fulling m., 1 tannery, 5 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,975. 866 scholars in schools. Pop. 3,111.

York, p-t., Livingston co., N. Y., 238 w. Albany, 354 W. The surface rises 1 or 2 ms. from Genesee r., when it becomes level; soil, clay loam, fertile in wheat, and other kinds of grain. Drained by branches of Genesee r., which bounds it on the e. It has 12 stores, cap. $37,150; 1 woolen fac., 2 furnaces, 2 distilleries, 3 grist m., 5 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $34,175. 17 sch. 1,039 scholars. Pop. 3,049.

York, t., York co., Pa., 5 s. w. York b. The surface is undulating; soil, gravel, and not very fertile. It has 2 tanneries, 2 grist m., 1 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $4,045. Pop. 1,294.

York, p-b., and capital of York co., Pa., 24 s. Harrisburg, 90 W. It is situated in Spring Garden and Manchester ts., and on Codorus cr., on a plain, with streets crossing each other at right angles. It contains a court house and county offices of brick, a jail of stone, an academy of brick, 12 churches, belonging to Lutherans, German Reformed, Presbyterians, Moravians, Episcopalians, Methodists, Friends, Roman Catholics, and African Methodists; 38 stores, cap. $201,100; 11 lumber yards, cap. $70,900; 1 woolen fac., 5 tanneries, 3 breweries, 4 printing offices, 5 weekly newspapers. Cap. in manufac. $129,310. 2 acad. 50 students, 10 sch. 647 scholars. Pop. 4,779. The poorhouse is in the vicinity of the v. The U. Stales Congress, removed to this place when driven from Philadelphia, in the revolutionary war. The cr. is made navigable 11 ms. to the Susquehanna r., by 8 ms. of pools and 3 of canals, with 9 locks. The v. is supplied by water in pipes from a spring in the vicinity. This place is connected with Philadelphia and Baltimore by railroads.

York, p-v., Fayette co., Ga., 87 w. n. w. Milledgeville, 691 W.

York, t., Athens co., O. Drained by Hockhocking r., on which is Nelsonville v. It receives several small tributaries, the largest of which is Monday cr. It has 10 sch. 191 scholars. Pop. 1,601.

York, t., Belmont co., O. Bounded e. by Ohio r. Drained by Captina cr., which affords water power. The surface is uneven; soil, very fertile. It has 1 sch. 35 scholars. Pop. 1,294.

York, t., Darke co., O. It has 1 sch. 20 scholars. Pop. 369.

York, t., Medina co., O. It has 1 tannery, 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $2,300. 5 sch. 152 scholars. Pop. 781.

York, t., Morgan co., O. It has 3 stores, cap. $6,500; 2 tanneries, 1 distillery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $5,950. 6 sch. 494 scholars. Pop. 1,032.

York, t., Sandusky co., O. It has 5 sch. 188 scholars. Pop. 1,301.

York, t., Tuscarawas co., O. It has 1 grist m., 6 saw m., 5 sch. 305 scholars. Pop. 865.

York, t., Union co., O. It has 2 sch. 70 scholars. Pop. 439.

York, t., Van Wert co., O. Pop. 181.

York, p-t., Washtenaw co., Mich., 46 w. Detroit, 511 W. It has 1 store, cap. $2,500; 1 tannery, 1 flouring m., 1 grist m., 4 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $13,600. Pop. 1,146.

York, t., Switzerland co., Ia. Pop. 1,331.

York, t., Steuben co., Ia. It has 1 sch. 14 scholars. Pop. 191.

York, t., Noble co., Ia. It has 1 store, cap. $800; 1 pottery, 1 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 sch. 18 scholars. Pop. 289.

York, p-v., Clarke co., Ill., 142 e. s. e. Springfield, 676 W. Situated on the w. side of Wabash r, and contains 4 stores, 1 steam saw and flouring m., and about 350 inhabitants.

York Centre, p-o., Lucas co., O., 151 n. w. Columbus, 482 W.

York Haven, p-v., Newberry t., York co., Pa., 14 s. Harrisburg, 100 W. Situated on the w. side of Susquehanna r., below Conewago falls, opposite to Portsmouth. Much of the descending trade of the r. proceeds from this place to Baltimore.

York North Ridge, p-o., Sandusky co., O., 99 n. Columbus, 414 W.

York Ridge, p-o., Dearborn co., Ia., 84 s. e. Indianapolis, 540 W.

Yorkshire, p-t., Cattaraugus co., N. Y., 278 Albany, 341 W. The surface is generally level; soil, a fertile clay and gravelly loam. Drained by Cattaraugus cr. and its tributaries. The v. is situated on Cattaraugus cr., and contains 1 church, 4 stores, 1 flouring m., 40 dwellings, and about 300 inhabitants. There are in the t. 2 stores, cap. $5,500; 1 fulling m., 3 tanneries, 2 grist m., 6 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $10,180. Pop. 1,292.

York Sulphur Springs, p-v., Latimore t., Adams co., Pa., 15 s. Carlisle, 21 s. Harrisburg, 89 W. The springs here are a fashionable resort from Baltimore, and contain good accommodations for visitors. The country around is healthy, and the springs possess valuable mineral properties.  

Table of Contents

Source: A Complete Descriptive And Statistical Gazetteer Of The United States Of America, By Daniel Haskel, A. M and J. Calvin Smith, Published By Sherman & Smith, 1843

This book is a joint project between members of AHGP, Paula Franklin, Judy White, Sheryl McClure and Susan Dorris our finder!

Please Come Back Again!!

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work