AHGP
Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

 

Banking in Idaho

From a modest beginning in a frontier town to the largest and strongest institution in a wealthy and growing State is an enviable record, but such is the history of the Boise City National Bank. The bank was organized in April, 1886, by Alfred Eoff, H. B. Eastman, Joseph Perrault, and others, with a capital of $100,000. Mr. Eoff, (well known to the bankers of the Pacific Coast) was elected cashier and manager and occupied that position for over twenty years, and until the sale of the stock of the bank to the present management in July, 1906. In the death of Mr. Eoff last year the community suffered the loss of a valuable citizen and the banking fraternity a sound financier of the old school. The other officers were: Henry Wadsworth, president; H. B. Eastman, vice-president; Joseph Perrault, assistant cashier. In July, 1888, Mr. Perrault resigned and Walter S. Bruce was elected to succeed him. The only changes in the officers from this time until the change in the control was the election of H. B. Eastman as president in January, 1904, to succeed Mr. Wadsworth, and the election of Mr. Began as vice-president.

In July, 1906, the control of the bank passed into new hands, all of the old directors retiring except Mr. Regan and Mr. Eastman. The new officers elected were: F. R. Coffin, president; Timothy Regan, vice-president; J. E. Clinton, Jr., cashier; Fred Brown and B. W. Walker, assistant cashiers. The business and influence of the institution has steadily increased and the management has established a reputation for being progressive and conservative. This bank is one of the few institutions that can show an uninterrupted period of growth. During the financial flurry of last year their deposits showed a marked increase, and they were enabled to extend aid to a great number of banks in southern Idaho. This fact, together with the general policy of caring for their correspondents and customers, has given them connections with nearly every point in the Northwest.

The Boise City National Bank is the government depository for the State of Idaho and has been specially designated as depository for the post office department. Their capital is now $250,000, with a surplus and profits of $150,000. A recent statement shows their deposits two million and a quarter; loans over a million and a half, and cash and sight exchange one million, making their reserve over 40 per cent.

The bank occupies its own modern office building, a massive stone structure worth a quarter of a million dollars. The entire fourth floor of the building is occupied by the Boise Commercial Club, it having been prepared for them especially by the bank.

The Bank of Nampa

Among the towns of Idaho which are fast coming to the front and which are making that State one of the most desirable in the West is Nampa. It is here that business is carried on in an energetic and open-handed way and the merchants of that city are strictly up-to-date and progressive. That merchants do make a town is generally conceded and after one discovers the hustling, bustling stores, it is natural to inquire as to the status of the home bank. The Bank of Nampa is the oldest bank in the city and one of the best known in the State. The report of this bank shows conclusively that it can be ranked with any of the banks throughout the country in comparison with population.

It was founded in 1899 and the capitalization is $50,000. The directors of the company are all men of sound business ability and alive at all times to the opportunities afforded to those who come to Idaho. They wanted a good sound banking institution and when the Bank of Nampa was organized these men gave it their full support, both moral and financial. The officers are all men drilled in the hard, school of experience and men who have studied the banking business from ground up. It is that fact, coupled with the sure-to-win methods of fair dealing and prudent, progressive policy that have made this bank one of the strongest and most substantial in the entire Gem State. The officers have at all times been willing to advance money on the legitimate enterprises which the State affords, and their experience in the business has qualified them to distinguish between the legitimate and the doubtful projects, an absolutely safe policy being at all times the one followed.

The officers of the bank are: John W. Givens, president; J. A. Givens, vice-president; T. E. Munhall, cashier; C. E. Lore, assistant cashier. All of these men have been from ten to twenty years learning the many intricacies of the business and the success of the institution can be traced to the strict business principles, and honest and fair methods employed and the progressiveness of the men at the helm. Far-sighted to a degree, they have built the business up from a small country bank to one of prominence and importance. The directors, namely, John W. Givens, J. S. Hickey, C. R. Hickey, J. A. Givens, and Eugene Emerson, are all men prominent in business circles in Nampa and of the State, and they have helped to make the bank what it is to-day. They all have faith in the future of Idaho, and naturally of Nampa, and that this town will someday be one of the biggest in the State is their prediction. Banking on this and being assured that this will be soon, they are building up one of the foundations for a big city, a banking institution which is worthy of the name and of the men who are behind it.

Boise State Bank

There is no business institution in Idaho that is better known or is on a more solid basis than the Boise State Bank of Boise. Although one of the newer banking houses, having been organized in 1906, it has taken rank with many of the older ones and is enjoying great prosperity. The capital of the Boise State Bank is $50,000. The officers at this time are: president, Edward Payne, a wealthy and retired sheepman; vice-president, Arthur Pence, prominent as a stockman and well known in Idaho politics; cashier, E. S. Clapp, formerly a Michigan banker and for a number of years cashier of the First Bank of Council, Idaho.

Recently the Boise State Bank began its occupancy of fine quarters in a building on one of the most prominent corners of Boise.

Index

Source: Sketches of the Inter-Mountain States, Utah, Idaho and Nevada, Published by The Salt Lake Tribune, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1909 

 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August © 2011 - 2017 AHGP AHGP The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work