Pacific Coast Business Directory

State of Oregon - Astoria, Clatsop County

Astoria, Clatsop County, PO and County seat, and incorporated city, is 12 miles from the mouth of the Columbia River, has an excellent harbor, and is a port of entry. The history of Astoria constitutes a most interesting chapter in the history of Oregon and in the occupation of the "northwest coast" by Americans. The earliest date when the Spaniards first entered the great river is unknown, but it is certain that it had been discovered, and in part explored by them, and the name "Oregon" given to it, but possession of the country was not maintained. Captain Gray, commanding the ship Columbia, of Boston, entered the mouth of the river in 1792, anchored near the southern bank, at the opening of a deep bay, made observations, a survey, and a chart of it, with descriptions of its bearings, soundings, etc. Finishing his traffic with the natives, he put to sea, and on the coast falling in with the exploring expedition of Captain Vancouver sailing oil a voyage of discovery by order of the British government, he gave him an account of the discovery and a copy of the chart he had made. Vancouver dispatched Lieutenant Broughton to examine the new discovery, who ascended the river one hundred and fifty miles, and gave it the name of Columbia in honor of the ship that had first entered its waters. The discovery of Captain Gray secured the country as American territory. In 1805-6 the expedition of Lewis and Clarke wintered on the bank of the river at Young's Bay, a few miles below where Astoria now is. On the 25th of March, 1811, the ship Tonquin, of the Pacific Fur Company, sent out by John Jacob Astor, of New York, entered the river, and on the 12th of April selected the site and commenced the building of Astoria. At this early date, says Franchere, one of the party who happily preserved a narrative of the occurrences, "the spring, usually so tardy in this latitude, was already far advanced; the foliage was budding, and the earth was clothed with verdure; the weather was superb, and all Nature smiled. We imagined ourselves in the Garden of Eden; the wild forests seemed to us delightful groves, and the leaves transformed to brilliant flowers." In October, 1813, the establishment of the Pacific Fur Company was sold to the Northwest Fur Company, an English Association, under threat of its being forcibly taken, the United .States and Great Britain being then at war; and in December of the same year the place was formally taken possession of by the Captain of a British sloop-of-war, and the name of Astoria changed to .St George. The possession of the country remained in dispute until settled by treaty between the United States and England in 1846. The town has now risen above the importance of a frontier fur-trading post, and is steadily gaining in importance, surrounded as it is by a country of great resources and possessing a fine harbor on one of the noblest rivers entering the Pacific since 1872 Astoria has more than doubled population and business and is now the recognized seaport of Oregon. Vessels of the largest capacity here meet the river craft and exchange cargoes, there having been during the present year of 1873-74 over 100 vessels cleared at the Custom House of this, to foreign ports. The value of these cargoes aggregated near $3,000,000. Here, too, are the headquarters of the very important salmon fisheries of the Columbia. In the season of 1874 the catch was valued at $1,403,500. This business is steadily increasing encouraged by its great success, the ready market for the fish, preserved in cans or by smoking, and the illimitable numbers that swarm from the ocean to the rivers. The salmon are caught in nets, seines and wires, and during the season from April to August. There are several varieties of this noble fish, but the chinook, the white, and the square-tailed salmon are the most highly prized. In the harbor of Astoria are a great many species of the finny tribe and crustacea, making fishing an excellent sport and profitable business. In conjunction with this the city is a favorite summer resort, being attractive from the beauty and picturesqueness of the .scenery and the healthfulness of the climate. The facilities for lumbering and shipbuilding are excellent, as the various woods used in commerce and naval architecture grow abundantly in the neighborhood. To facilitate commerce excellent wharves and docks have been constructed and others are in process of building. A company is formed for the construction of a railroad and telegraph line to Portland, which, when either is completed will aid much in bringing it in communication with the world. One newspaper, the Astorian, is published weekly.
Arrigoni S N, hotel
ASTORIAN, D C Ireland, proprietor
Bain Charles H, contractor and builder
Barth & Myers, liquor saloon
Bell O F, attorney at law
Berendes Henry, boot and shoe maker
Bergman & Company butchers
Binder Charles Mrs., bakery
Bowlby J Q A, attorney at law
Bracklow Carl, house and sign painter
Bradlet & Company salmon cannery
Bramel T, restaurant
Brock M Mrs., hotel
Case I W, general merchandise
Chamberlain S Miss, teacher
Chance William, postmaster
Coo J G, liquor saloon
Cone A W, boots and shoes
Corbet Patrick, liquor saloon
Dodd S W, physician
Dufner Otto, watch maker and jeweler
Edgar & Smith, cigars, tobacco and cutlery
Farleman C B, hotel
Ferrel F, lumber manufacturer
Flavel George, hardware, and shipping merchant
Fox Peter H, merchant tailor
Fry William, shoe maker
Gallagher J F, boot maker
Gearhart J W, commission merchant, and groceries and provisions
Gibney P F Rev, clergyman (R C)
Gist & Stoll, furniture
Goslin William, hotel
Gray W P ii Company butchers
Hambacher M, barber
Hamburger B, dry goods
Hare W D, collector of customs
Headington William, architect and builder
Hobson & Warren, butchers
Holder E C, restaurant
Hubbard & Wright, liquor saloon
Hunter John, stage proprietor
Hustler J G, agent North Pacific Transportation Co
Hyland T A Rev, clergyman (Episc)
IRELAND D C, proprietor Weekly Astorian
Jackins C E & Company stoves and tinware
Jacobs Henry, bakery and liquor saloon
Kinsey S, physician and druggist
Kippen William F, liquor saloon
Kneemeyer ____, cooper
Koefoed Nicholas, hotel
Krosel F, bakery
Lamb G W, soap manufacturer
Leinenweber Henry, hotel
Leinenweber & Brown, tannery
Loeb N, clothing
Mattson Peter, liquor saloon
Mayer J S, sausage factory
McEwan William L, attorney at law
McGuire & Wright, hotel
McLean George, blacksmith
Medley Joseph, brick and stone mason
Mendelson Bros, gent's furnishing goods
Merchant A, soap manufacturer
Meyer M, brewery
Meyer & Bart, liquor saloon
Morrison H M Miss, millinery and fancy goods
Nelson D W C, groceries and butchers
Niederaner Jacob, hair dressing and bathing saloon
Pahl A, physician
Papmahl & Bock, liquor saloon
Parker C L, general merchandise
Parker H. B, liquors, and justice of the peace
Peacher & Woodward, butchers and groceries
Reynolds Andrew J, hotel
Rogers M, hotel
Ross Job, fruits and varieties
Russell J S. fruits and varieties
Shively R C, restaurant
Shuster H S, photographer
Simpson Miss, teacher
Speilmeir Henry, shoemaker
Steers J, liquors
Stevens Charles, books and stationery
Stoll Charles, cabinet maker
Tenny A W, clergyman (Cong)
Trullinger J C, general merchandise
Ulenhart W M, barber
VAN DUSEN A, general merchandise, and agents Wells Fargo & Co
Wandery A, physician and druggist
Wass A D Mrs., millinery
Worthington W L. teacher
Wright Charles S, auctioneer

Pacific Coast Business Directory | Oregon Territory Index

Source: Pacific Coast Business Directory for 1876-78, Compiled by Henry G. Langley, San Francisco, 1875.

 

Please Come Again!!





This page was last updated Saturday, 26-Sep-2015 00:54:45 EDT

 Copyright 2011-2017 AHGP - Judy White
The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work.