West Coast Gazetteer & Directory ~ San Francisco ~ San Luis Obispo, California

San Francisco,
San Francisco County is situated on the west shore of the bay from which it derives its name, in latitude 37° 47' 35", longitude 122° 26' 15". It occupies the terminal portion of a peninsula, extending in a northwesterly direction from the mainland, lashed on the west by the long swelling billows of the Pacific Ocean, and rippled on the east by the smooth waters of the bay. The city and county extends from bay to ocean, four and one-half miles in average width, and six and one-half miles in length. The harbor is a beautiful sheet of water, about 75 miles in length and 12 miles in average width, affording safe anchorage at all times. Its entrance, the far-famed Golden Gate, is a strait about 5 miles in length and 2 miles in average width. Vessels can enter with ease and safety, and the depth of water is sufficient for the largest craft.

The first settlement of white men on the shores of the bay was made in June, 1776, by an expedition from Monterey under Friars Francisco Palou and Benito Cambon, accompanied by several settlers with their families, and a detachment of soldiers, under the command of Don Jose Moraga.

Previous to this, in 1775, a vessel called the San Carlos, commanded by Lieutenant Ayala, was dispatched from Monterey to ascertain if an entrance to the bay could be effected, and in August of that year passed through what is now called the Golden Gate. This is the first vessel, of which we have any authentic record, to cast anchor in the bay of San Francisco. It is contended by some historians, however, that the bay was discovered by Sir Francis Drake, in 1579, during his voyage along the coast. In October, 1776, the mission Dolores was founded, and about this time, a few houses were also erected near the shore of the bay, and the settlement named Yerba Buena, after an aromatic herb of that name which grew in great abundance on the surrounding hills. This name was retained until January, 1847, when it was changed to San Francisco by an ordinance issued by the American alcalde, Washington A Bartlett.

In 1822 California became a Mexican territory, and from that time the commerce of the port gradually increased, hides, tallow and grain being the principal exports. The first survey of the town was made in 1839, by Captain Juan Vioget, which included the ground bounded by Montgomery, Kearny, Sacramento and Pacific streets. The war with Mexico broke out in 1846, and on the eighth of July of that year. Captain Montgomery, of the U. S. sloop of war Portsmouth, took formal possession of the town, hoisting the stars and stripes on the Plaza, now known as Portsmouth Square; and soon after, Washington A. Bartlett, a lieutenant on the Portsmouth, was appointed alcalde. The discovery of gold, in the fall of 1848, was the dawn of an era of prosperity which was to metamorphose the embryo nucleus into the beautiful city of the present. In the place of sand hills we now see massive, handsome and imposing buildings and blocks, and the sandy plains have been transformed into gardens which diffuse fragrant odor from flowers in perpetual bloom. The incorporation as a city was effected in May, 1850, and the consolidation of the city and county governments, m July. 1856. Its rapid growth to the city of magnificent proportions and commanding importance of today is a marvel of wonder and a rare instance of the giant possibilities of human energy and American enterprise. The population according to the census of 1880 was 283,956.

It is the chief commercial metropolis and emporium of the Pacific Coast, and with its vast natural resources, broad avenues of trade, and the commerce of the world knocking at its, doors, its continued growth and prosperity is assured. The climate is mild and healthful, a very even temperature being maintained throughout the year. The city proper occupies the north-east portion of the peninsular. From the top of Telegraph Hill, the extreme north-eastern point, a grand and picturesque view is obtained. Southward the city spreads out in a sea of buildings, intersected with streets, teeming with life and animation of business bustle and confusion, from which the eye wanders in relief to the surrounding scene of harbor, with numerous craft of steam and sail riding gracefully on its placid surface, islands standing out in bold relief, the romantic oak-shaded nooks and hamlets around the shores, overlooked by green carpeted hills, the Golden Gate through which the waters of the Pacific flood and ebb, and still beyond, the vast expanse of ocean. It is regularly laid out, the streets crossing each other at right angles. Elegant and palatial residences, with tastily laid-out grounds, adorn the city, and handsome and substantial structures grace the business thoroughfares. In the suburbs are beautiful parks and gardens for pleasure resort, and points of interest to delight the eye of the sight-seeker. Golden Gate Park, the most prominent one, covers a large area of ground, beautifully laid out, with walks, drives, and gardens, containing flowers and plants of every description and variety, trees and shrubbery, hot-houses conservatories, etc. A fine ocean view is obtained at the "Cliff," which is reached by an excellent drive. The numbers of seal to be seen on the rocks a short distance from the shore form an object of attraction at this resort.

The public buildings, notably the City Hall, Mint, Appraisers' Building, and Sub-Treasury Building compare favorably with any of the larger cities of the Union.

The public school system is a pride of the city, and is not to be excelled by any in the United States. The report of the superintendent of common schools for the year ending June 30, 1881, shows the number of schools to be 62, having an average attendance of 29,092 scholars. There are also a large number of private schools and collegiate institutions of high character. Churches of all denominations, creed, and sect are maintained, and secret, benevolent, and social societies of every order and nature have been organized. The public libraries will bear comparison with any in the older cities. The Free Library, recently established, is a credit and ornament to the city. It has commodious rooms lighted with electric light, and promises, in number of volumes and completeness of appointment, to rival any in the Union.

A Chamber of Commerce and Board of Trade are established, and two Stock Exchanges, a Produce Exchange, and a Grain Exchange are among the institutions of the city. In manufacturing industry all the various branches are represented. Iron and brass foundries, smelting works, woolen and flour mills, wire and cordage factories, glassworks, sugar refineries, etc. A network of street railroads afford cheap transit in every direction. Five of these are wire cable roads, a feature of the city and a model mode of public conveyance. Two gas companies supply the city with gas, and night is turned into day by the subtlety of electric fluid supplied by the Electric Light Co. Excellent water is distributed throughout the city for domestic and city purposes by the Spring Valley Water Co. Rapid communication is maintained by the aid of the telegraph and telephone. The fire department, which includes a telegraph fire-alarm, is a model of perfection unsurpassed by any in the world. The apparatus consists of twelve steam engines and tenders, eight hose carts, and four hook and ladder trucks and several steam engines, hose carts, and hook and ladder trucks in reserve. A Fire Patrol is also maintained by the Board of Underwriters. The commerce of the city is rapidly increasing.

The foreign imports for the year 1881 amounted to $40,365,61 9 and the exports to $47,369,193. The amount of exports by rail during' the same period was about $50,000,000. The public is informed of the current news of the day by newspapers published in the English, German, French, Spanish, Scandinavian, Italian and Chinese languages. Communication is maintained with bay and river points by ferries and steamers, and with various inland towns by rail. Two transcontinental railroads, the Central Pacific and Southern Pacific, afford rapid communication with the Eastern States, and several steamship lines maintain communication with various ports in California, Oregon, Washington Territory, Alaska, British Columbia and Mexico, also with Panama, Honolulu, Hong Kong, Yokohama, Sydney and Auckland.

City and County Officers, M C Blake, Mayor; W H Bodfish, John McKew, John Shirley, John H Carmany, Henry Molineux, George Torrens, George B Bradford, Charles A Fisher, Oliver Merrill. Henry B Russ, N C Parrish, and John F Kennedy, Supervisors; J C Stubbs, J S Bacon, Julius Bandmann, E J Bowen, James H Culver, T B De Witt, Horace D Dunn, W B Ewer, H M Fiske, B F Sterett, David Stern, and B F Webster, School Directors; Henry Brickwedel; Auditor; J H Widber, Treasurer: John W Cherry, Recorder: David Wilder, Clerk; Alexander Badlam, Assessor; John H Grady, Tax Collector; John Sedgwick, Sheriff; L E Pratt, District Attorney: J F Cowdery. Attorney and Counselor; Robert J Graham, Superintendent Public Streets; John W Taylor, Superintendent Public Schools; W P Humphreys, Surveyor: F L Weeks, Coroner; W M Leman, Public Administrator; J L Meares, Health Officer; R H Sinton, License Collector; Patrick Crowley, Chief of Police; Joseph L Tharp, Registrar of Voters; David Scannell, Chief Engineer Fire Department; John Curran, Superintendent Fire Alarm.

Superior Court, Thomas K Wilson, Department No 1; J F Sullivan, No 2; J M Allen, No 3; J A Waymire, No 4; John Hunt, Jr, No 5; MA Edmonds. No 6; O P Evans, No 7; F W Lawler, No 8; J F Finn, No 9: Charles Halsey, No 10; T W Freelon, No 11; Robert Ferral, No 12; Judges.
Police Court, Hale Rix, Department No 1; Simon Rosenbaum No 2; Judges.
Justices Courts, J C Pennie, J H Ryan. E Gilson. F M Clough, and J D Connelly, Justices.

For names of merchants, manufacturers, etc, see Classified Business Directory.

San Juan Capistrano,
Los Angeles Co. (See Capistrano P. O.)

San Luis Obispo P O
San Luis Obispo County an incorporated city and county seat of about 2,700 inhabitants, is situated in San Luis Obispo Valley, 200 miles by water south-east of San Francisco, and 9 miles north of Port Harford, its seaport, with which it is connected by rail. Its site was formerly occupied by the old Mission of San Luis Obispo, founded in 1772 by the monks of the Order of Saint Francis. The city is pleasantly located and well laid out, and its shaded streets with handsome residences, whose flower-laden gardens fill the air with sweet perfume and please the eye with floral beauty, give it quite an attractive appearance. The business portion contains a number of fine, substantial buildings, occupied by wealthy and responsible firms, who carry on an extensive trade. Two good public schools are maintained, having an average attendance of three hundred and twenty-five scholars.

The religious denominations organized, some of which have handsome church edifices, are the Presbyterian, Episcopal, Methodist, Methodist South, and Roman Catholic. The secret and benevolent societies represented are the Masons, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, Ancient Order United Workmen, American Legion of Honor, Order of Chosen Friends, and Good Templars. The San Luis Obispo Water Co supplies the city with an abundant supply of good water brought from a branch of San Luis Creek.

The fire department consists of a hook and ladder and hose companies, in addition to which are twenty hydrants located at convenient points. Two excellent weekly journals, the Tribune and Mirror, zealously advocate the interests of the community and furnish the current news. In the valley and surrounding country are excellent agricultural and grazing lands, farming, stock-raising, and dairying being the principal industries.

A company has recently been incorporated with the object of extending the San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria Valley Railroad. When this road is completed, it will afford direct rail communication with the southern and coast counties, and be a material benefit to the section. Stages leave daily for Soled ad and Newhall, connecting with the trains of the Southern Pacific Railroad. Weekly communication is maintained with San Francisco, via Port Harford, by the Pacific Coast Steamship Co.

Officers, A C McLeod, Mayor; George S Brown, A S Whitsel, J N McGuire, P S Finney, and A C Eemick, Councilmen; P A Forrester, Clerk; Z A Pico, Assessor; E P Rogers, Tax Collector; L M Noah, Treasurer; C J Woods, Police Judge; Thomas Tanner, Marshal.

Academy of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Sister Raymunda Cremadell prioress
Adams F, attorney at law
Andrews J P, president Bank of San Luis Obispo
Arana H, saddle and harness maker
Bank of San Luis Obispo, J P Andrews president, W E Stewart cashier
Barneberg J liquor saloon
Bayer P, blacksmith and wagon maker
Becket J F, sup't schools San Luis Obispo Co
Blackburn & Frederick, proprietors Cosmopolitan Hotel
Blochman A & Co, general merchandise
Boll M, shoemaker
Booth A R, druggist
Bouldin K V, attorney at law
Brewster & Russell, harness and saddle makers
Brown & Castro, livery stable
Byer Bros, billiard and liquor saloon
Canon W S, proprietor Central Hotel
Capp J, restaurant and liquor saloon
Carpenter Ezra, surveyor San Luis Obispo Co
Cassner N, watchmaker and jeweler
Castro & Pico, liquor saloon
Castro & Ramirez, cigars and tobacco
Central Hotel, W S Canon proprietor
Constine Louis, dry goods, clothing, etc
Cortesi T E, furniture and upholsterer
Cosmopolitan Hotel, Blackburn & Frederick proprietors
Costa F, barber
Cummings A H, wool
Dana E G, treasurer San Luis Obispo Co
Davis S A, wagon maker and blacksmith
Deleissiguez A, butcher
Dempsey William, proprietor Eagle Hotel
Dennis J D, druggist
Devoto G, general merchandise
Dorsey M F, carriage painter
Doyle & Crenshaw, publishers Weekly Mirror
Dughi G, dry goods, groceries, and liquors
Dunbar & Elliott, liquor saloon
Eagle Hotel, William Dempsey proprietor
Eagle Mills, Pollard & James proprietors
Elliott John J, baths
Fashion Stable, A H Hecox proprietor
Felts J M, books and stationery
Fisher .J F, gun smith
Fleugler Emil, bakery
Forsyth D, carpenter
French Hotel, L Pegot proprietor
Frost J J, liquor saloon
Gambal H, liquor saloon
Garcia & Dutra, billiard and liquor saloon
Gaugler Brothers, furniture and undertakers
Gerken J, shoemaker
Geyer A, manufacturer jewelry and engraver
Goldtree Bros, general merchandise
Goodman H, merchant tailor
Goodrich J A, books and stationery
Graham D Mrs., millinery
Graves Ernest, district attorney San Luis Obispo Co
Green K, merchant tailor
Gregory D S, attorney at law
Hanson & McGuire, stoves, tin, sheet iron, and copper ware
Hardie A M, assessor San Luis Obispo Co
Harrington D, harness and saddle maker
Hassan Stephen, candies and fruit
Hasse C, barber
Hays W W, physician
Hazen J M, machinist and agricultural implements
Hecox A H, livery and feed stable
Hendricks A J, liquor saloon
Heyd Louis, tailor
Hildenbrand J, shoe-maker
Hogan John, carriage painter
Holmes R R, photographer
Johnson D M, livery stable
Kalisher I, cigars and tobacco
King Charles O, Imperial Egg Food
King Nathan, clerk, auditor and recorder San Luis Obispo Co
Knapp J P, proprietor San Luis Obispo Hotel
Knight S C, house and sign painter
Krebs E, druggist
Kuhl W, watchmaker and jeweler
Lange W H, sewing machines
Lasar E & Sons, general merchandise
Laughery H, proprietor Laughery House
Lehmer Louis, boarding and feed stable
Lima J P, proprietor Luzitania Hotel
Loewenstein J, merchant tailor and furnishing goods
Loobliner H, general merchandise
Maggi G R, groceries and confectionery
Martin Luther, liquor saloon
Maxwell E L, Crystal Palace Saloon
Mayers D L, dry goods and clothing
McAllister A, general merchandise
McCabe George W, blacksmith
McCaffrey T A, wines and liquors
McGuire I N, proprietor McGuire House
McMurty Louis, superior judge
Medeiros J C, barber and cigars
Mehlmann H, liquor saloon
Meyer William, liquor saloon
Motz G, furniture
Motz H, carpenter
Nelson W H, dentist
Nichols G B, physician
Noah M, cigars and tobacco
Norton T, physician
O'Sullivan J J, boots and shoes
Oaks W J, sheriff San Luis Obispo Co
Ortega J C, insurance agent
Osgood H M, watchmaker
Parkhurst R, physician
Pattison T, stoves, tin, and hardware
Payne & McLeod, livery stable
Pegot L, proprietor French Hotel
Phillips C H, real estate agent and notary public, and agent Pacific Coast Land Bureau
Poage S C, attorney at law and notary public
Pollard & James, proprietors Eagle Mill
Prefumo P B, general merchandise
Rabe John, dentist
Rackliffe L, general merchandise
Ready Phil, horse-shoer
Remick & Orr, butchers
Rodgers & Helm, carpenters, contractors, and undertakers
San Luis Obispo Hotel, J P Knapp proprietor
San Luis Obispo Tribune, Tribune Printing Co, publishers
San Luis Obispo Water Co
Sandercock W, wood
Sauer A, groceries and confectionery
Schwartz & Beebee, lumber, doors, windows, blinds, lime, cement, etc
Scott John, attorney at law
Seaton J H, physician
Sebastopol Brewery, Wiegand & Co, proprietors
Simmler J J, postmaster
Sinsheimer Bros, general merchandise
Soper W H, firearms
Spencer W H, attorney at law
Spinney J C, confectionery
Staniford George B, agent Wells, Fargo, & Co, and Telegraph Coast Line Stage Co.
Starkweather & Ellis, shooting gallery
Steele Bros, butchers
Stewart W E, cashier Bank of San Luis Obispo
Telegraph Coast Line Stage Co, George B Staniford agent
Thomas Manuel, boarding and feed stable
Tommasini G & Co, billiard and liquor saloon
Tourres Auguste, restaurant
Tribune Printing Co, publishers
San Luis Obispo Tribune
Tullman Otto, billiard and liquor saloon
Venable Mc D R, attorney at law
Vollmer Ed & Co, general merchandise
Weekly Mirror, Doyle & Crenshaw publishers
Wells, Fargo, & Co, George B Staniford agent
Wiegand & Co, proprietors Sebastopol Brewery
Wilcoxon J M, attorney at law
Williamson A, stoves and tin ware
Woods C L, notary public
Young E J Mrs., millinery 

West Coast Gazetteer

Source: Disturnell's Business Directory and Gazetteer, of the West Coast of North America, W. C. Disturnell, Publisher, San Francisco, California, 1882

 

Please Come Again!!





This page was last updated Tuesday, 11-Aug-2015 18:01:09 EDT

 Copyright 2011-2017 AHGP - Judy White
The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work.