Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

Wisconsin University

The buildings of this Institution are situated one mile west of the Capitol in Madison, on a beautiful eminence commanding an extensive view of the basin of the Four Lakes. The site comprises, within the enclosure, about 50 acres; on which, in accordance with the plan adopted by the Regents, it is proposed to erect five collegiate structures, namely: the main edifice, on the crown of the hill, at the head of a wide avenue leading through the grounds in the direction of the Capitol; and the four subordinate buildings, on a line, several rods in advance of the main edifice, two on either side of the avenue. The main edifice is intended to contain all the public rooms, the observatory, and two dwelling houses. The other buildings are to be divided into dormitories for the residence and accommodation of students. The first dormitory building, on the north side of the avenue, waft completed in the summer of 1851; and the Collegiate Department was opened in it on the third Wednesday of the same year. The corresponding building, on the south side of the avenue, is in process of erection, to be followed, next in order, by the construction of the main edifice. The organic law of the University provides for the establishment of the four Faculties, namely: of "Science, Literature and Arts;" of "Law;" of "Medicine;" and of the "Theory and Practice of Elementary Instruction." Of these, the former has been organized by the Regents, and the following chairs having been created by ordinance:

1. Of Ethics, Civil Polity, and Political Economy
2. Of Mental Philosophy, Logic, Rhetoric, and English Literature
3. Of Ancient Languages and Literature
4. Of Modern Languages and Literature
5. Of Mathematics, Natural Philosophy and Astronomy
6. Of Chemistry and Natural History

The Chair of Ethics, &c, is occupied by the Chancellor of the University, who, together, with the other Professors, and the requisite number of Tutors, will constitute the Faculty of Science, Literature, and Arts. The University was originally endowed by act of Congress, granting seventy-two sections of land to be selected by the State for that use. Under the appraisal of 1852, the capital fund derived from the sale of these lands, amounts to $170,000. They are now open to private entry, at the appraised value, in the office of the Commissioners of School and University Lands at Madison. They are selling off rapidly, and it is believed that the whole will be converted into a productive fund within a short period. The University of "Wisconsin, like the community whose institution it is, is still young. It has gone into operation with appointments amply sufficient to answer all present educational demands, while the condition of its finances justifies the confidence, that its increasing capabilities will keep pace with the future growth of the State, and make it an attractive gathering point for the scholars of the West.

Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer,  By John Warren Hunt. Madison: Beriah Brown, Printer, 1853

Back to Wisconsin

 


AHGP

Back to AHGP

This web page was last updated.
Wednesday, 26-Feb-2014 18:43:27 EST

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.