Part of the American
History & Genealogy Project
Artists in Ceramics, Porcelain, Sculpture, Bronze
Mrs. William Astor Chanler
Mrs. Chanler has recently become prominent in art circles in New
York as a sculptor of more than ordinary ability. Two of her
works were recently accepted by the jury of the National Academy
of Design and exhibited at their spring exhibition. Mrs. Chanler
is a pupil of Victor Salvator, of Macdougall Alley, the Latin
quarter of New York.
Florence Freeman 1836 ~
Born in Boston in 1836; she received her earliest instruction in
sculpture from Richard S. Greenough. In 1861 she went to Italy
with Miss Charlotte Cushman, remaining a year in Florence under
the instruction of Hiram Powers. In 1862 she removed her studio
to Rome where she spent the rest of her professional life. Among
her most important works are a bust of "Sandalphon,"
bas-reliefs of Dante and the sculptured chimney piece
representing "Children and the Yule Log, and Fireside
Spirits," which was exhibited at the Centennial Exhibition
in Philadelphia, 1876 and received honorable mention.
Vinnie Ream Hoxie 1847
Was born in Madison, Wisconsin, September 25, 1847. Is the
daughter of Robert Lee and Lavinia McDonald Ream. Studied art in
Washington, and afterwards in Paris under Bonnat. Her first work
of note was a statue of Abraham Lincoln under commission from
Congress. This was done from life, and later she executed the
statue of Admiral Farragut, another commission from the
government through an act of Congress, and this statue now
adorns Farragut Square in Washington. She has done many ideal
figures: "Miriam," "The West," "Sappho,"
"The Spirit of the Carnival," a bust of Mary Powell,
now in the state hall of Brooklyn, portraits and medallions of
General George B. McClellan, Thaddeus Stevens, General Sherman,
Ezra Cornell, General John C. Freemont, T. Buchanan Read, E. B.
Washburn, Horace Greeley, Peter Cooper, also Cardinal Antonelli,
Pére Surgeon, Franz Liszt, Gustave Doré, and is now engaged on a
heroic statue of Governor Samuel J. Kirkwood a commission from
the state of Iowa, which is to be placed in the rotunda of the
National Capitol. In 1878 Vinnie Ream married Richard Leveridge
Hoxie of the United States army.
Elizabeth Ney 1833 ~
One of the famous artists of this country, and a worthy follower
of Harriet Hosmer, enjoys deserved fame as a sculptor. She
studied under Bauch and opened a studio after his death in
Berlin, where her works received the warmest praise and
admiration. Some of her more conspicuous works are the statues
of Mitscherlich, Jakob Grimm, and other celebrities. She was
summoned to the Royal Court of Hanover, where she did "The Blind
King," "Joachim the Violinist of Arcady," "Stockhausen the
Singer," and the gloomy features of the great philosopher
Schopenhauer, and later a statue of Garibaldi. While in Munich,
she did much of the ornamentation of the interior of some of the
public buildings. She executed busts of Liebig and Wohler, which
now adorn the Polytechnic School of Munich. She did also what
was considered by Emperor William a remarkable bust of Bismarck.
This was accepted in the Paris Exposition of 1868, and Mrs.
Ney's name is justly placed among American sculptors.
Anne Whitney 1821 ~
Born in Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1821. Descended from early
New England colonists. Her first work was a portrait bust of her
father and mother. Her first ideal work was her conception of
Lady Godiva, which was exhibited in Boston. This was followed by
"Africa," a colossal statue. The "Lotus-Eater" was her next
work. After this she spent five years of study in Europe during
which time she executed "The Chaldean Astronomer," and "Roma."
After her return to America the State of Massachusetts
commissioned her to make a statue in marble of Samuel Adams the
Revolutionary patriot, for the National Gallery in Washington,
and one in bronze for Adams Square in Boston. She went to Rome
to execute this commission. Since these works she has executed a
sitting statue of Harriet Martineau, of heroic size, for
Wellesley College, and another ideal statue of Lief Erikson, the
young Norseman who, A.D. 1000 sailed into Massachusetts Bay.
Miss Whitney has made many fine medallions, fountains and
portrait busts, among the latter, one of President Stearns of
Amherst College, President Walker of Harvard, Professor
Pickering of Harvard, William Lloyd Garrison, Honorable Samuel
Sewall of Boston, Mrs. Alice Freeman Palmer, ex-president of
Wellesley College, Adeline Manning, Miss Whitney's friend,
Harriet Beecher Stowe, Frances E. Willard, Lucy Stone, Mary A.
Livermore and others.
Gertrude Whitney 1875 ~
This distinguished young sculptress is the daughter of the late
Cornelius Vanderbilt, and the wife of Harry Payne Whitney, of
New York. She studied abroad, and has executed a number of
marbles and bronzes for public places, notably, the fountain for
the Pan-American Building, Washington, D. C
Enid Yandell 1870 ~
Born in Louisville, Kentucky, October 6, 1870; is the daughter
of Lunsford P. and Louise Elliston Yandell; educated at Hampton
College; received degree of B.A. in Louisville, Kentucky;
exhibited at the Paris Salon since 1895, and has appeared in all
of the current exhibitions of the United States; received
Designer's Medal at the Chicago World's Fair, where she did a
great deal of work for the Women's Building; Medal at the
Tennessee Centennial, Pan-American Exposition St Louis
Exposition; member of the National Sculpture Society, National
Arts Club, Municipal Art Society, and National Historical
Preservation Society of New York City.
One of the remarkable features of Miss Yandell's career is the
brief period of time in which she has made her reputation.
Thirteen years ago she was a member of the Art Students' League.
The most imposing product of Miss Yandell's genius is the heroic
figure of Athena, which stood in front of the reproduction of
the Parthenon at the Nashville Exposition. It is the best figure
ever designed by a woman.
Source: The Part Taken by Women in
American History, By Mrs. John A. Logan, Published by The Perry-Nalle
Publishing Company, Wilmington, Delaware, 1912.