Part of the American
History & Genealogy Project
Bunker Hill Monument Association
To women the credit is due for the
preservation of historical homes, marking of historical spots,
and the completion of many of the works started to commemorate
deeds of heroism. Among these should be mentioned the completion
of the Bunker Hill Monument. In 1823 the Bunker Hill Monument
Association was incorporated and this ended the efforts for this
work for two years; then the cornerstone was laid while General
Lafayette was on a visit to this country. The material was
brought from a granite quarry in Quincy and a railroad had to be
built for this purpose, the first in the United States. In 1828
the funds for the work were exhausted and the work stopped, not
to be resumed until 1834, and again suspended for lack of funds.
In 1839 two gentlemen, Amos Lawrence, of Boston, and Judah
Truro, of New Orleans, offered $10,000 if a similar amount would
be raised by others. This enlisted the interest and pride of the
women of Boston, who proposed to get up a fair for this purpose.
The fair was decided upon and was to be held in Quincy Hall,
September 5, 1840, and every woman in America was invited to
aid, or contribute her work or money. These patriotic women of
Boston managed the entire scheme and were rewarded by realizing
$30,035.50, and from other sources money came to the association
through these women until $55,153.27 was in the treasury of the
association and the completion of the monument assured, and to
these women we owe Bunker Hill Monument.
The present officers of the National
Frederic Schoff, president.
Mrs. Arthur A. Birney, secretary.
Mrs. W. B. Ferguson, treasurer.
Mrs. David O. Mears.
Mrs. Orville T. Bright
Mrs. Fred T. Dubois.
Mrs. Edwin R. Weeks.
Mrs. Ray Rushton.
Historian: Mrs. R A. Tuttle.
Recording secretary: Mrs. James S. Bolton.
These ladies, together with the
following list of active members of the organization, have done
prodigious work in every state in the Union. Mrs. William T.
Carter, of Philadelphia; Mrs. Joseph P. Mumford, of
Philadelphia; Mrs. William J. Thacher, of New Jersey; Mrs. Frank
De Garmo, of St. Louis; Mrs. B. H. Stapleton, of Mississippi and
Miss Sophie B. Wright, of New Orleans.
Elizabeth Lawton Barker
Mrs. Charlotte P. Acer Barnum
was born in Shelley Center, Orleans County, New York, in 1865,
January & her father was Volney Acer, who was born in Pittsford,
Monroe County, New York, and her mother Charlotte Clark Peck who
was born in Tallmadge, Summit County, Ohio. Her mother's
ancestors all came from New England, where they had lived for
generations. Her father's family settled in Pittsford (7 miles
from Rochester) in 1790, and the original farm on which her
great-grandfather settled is still in the possession of the
family. The Acers were originally from Holland but her
great-grandmother was Dorothy Adams, a kin to John, John Quincy
and Samuel, as well as to Judge Otis and other early New England
Mrs. Barnum was graduated from Vassar College in 1886. Since
that time she has studied abroad in France and Germany and has
done research work in Boston and New York. In 1893 she came to
live in Pittsford, her father's old home, where she was married
in June, 1907, to Nathaniel C. Barnum, whose ancestors settled
in Rochester in 1794.
Mrs. Barnum was for four years secretary of the National Vassar
Students' Aid Society and was for ten years the president of the
Rochester Branch of the Vassar Students' Aid Society. At present
she is treasurer of the Century Club of Rochester, chairman of
the committee of the state of New York of the Society of School
Patrons of the National Education Association, and on the
executive committee of the Society of School Patrons of the
National Education Association, representing on the executive
committee the Association of Collegiate Alumnae.
Miss Helen Varick Boswell
is a Baltimorean, and although, for some years, has
been an active worker in the political and later in the
industrial and social work taken up by the New York State
Federation of Women's Club, she is probably today best known as
the woman selected by President Taft and sent by the United
States Government to Panama to look into the social conditions
there, and as having founded eight women's clubs on the zone,
which are federated and are known as the "Canal Zone Federation
of Women's Clubs." This creating of social life through united
club effort was much needed in the zone, and it brought the
women together and helped to make the history of that place.
When Mr. Taft last visited the zone and was the guest of the
women's clubs, he was emphatic in his statement that they had
been a strong factor in the progress of the work, for they had
helped to keep all the people contented, and have done much for
the civic betterment of the small communities in which they are
at present placed.
Miss Boswell devotes much of her time to the women's department
of the Federation and General Federation of Women's Clubs; is
chairman of the Industrial and Social Conditions department of
that organization. Among the subjects discussed in her lectures
and talks before the public in the interest of her work, are:
"Social and Political Progress of American Women," "Society and
the Criminal," "The Club Woman as a Molder of Public Opinion,"
"Every-day Life on the Canal Zone."
Miss Boswell comes of Revolutionary ancestors, is prominent in
the Daughters of the American Revolution, and is well known in
the social and official life of Washington and New York.
Mrs. Addison F. Broomhall
Was elected president of the Ohio Federation in 1909. She has
been a worker in the Federation since its organization; has
served her state as treasurer.
Federation secretary and chairman of the Convention Advisory
Committee. She has been active in library work and for two years
was chairman of the Library Extension Committee of the General
Federation. Mrs. Broomhall's husband is one of the most
brilliant lawyers in Ohio.
Mrs. Edward L. Buchwalter
is one of the best-known club women in the country. She has been
identified with the General Federation since the beginning and
has attended every biennial. She was born in Ohio but her
interests pertaining to women's clubs know no state lines. In
1898 Mrs. Buchwalter was elected a director of the General
Federation, serving two terms. She was chairman of the Milwaukee
biennial program committee, which for advanced thought has not
been surpassed by any biennial program; here civil service
reform and the responsibility of women as consumers were first
discussed. Mrs. Buchwalter was chairman of the Los Angeles
Convention; was a vice-president of the board of lady managers
of the Louisiana Purchase Expedition. In 1904 she was elected
president of the Ohio Federation, which she had been
instrumental in organizing. She has been president of the
Springfield Woman's Club. Gifted with a remark-able memory,
quick to recognize merit, more critical of herself than others,
tire-less in her effort to advance the club movement, Mrs.
Buchwalter plans and exe-cutes with the same enthusiasm which
has not waned in her twenty years' service.
Mrs. Philip Carpenter,
of New York, was born at Rainbow, Connecticut, educated in Mills
College, California, and New York University Law School. She is
an ex-president of the New York State Federation, president of
Sorosis, president of Women Lawyers' Club of New York City, and
ex-president of the National Society of New England Women. She
was the second woman lawyer to appear in the New York Court of
Appeals, and the first to win anything there.
Mrs. Jennie Croly was
born in Leicestershire, England, December 17, 1831. Her father,
the Reverend Joseph Howes Cunningham, brought is family to the
United States when Jennie was about nine years old. The latter
was a precocious child and early showed her literary trend in
little plays written in childhood. Her first production that was
published appeared in the New York Tribune. Her taste for
journalism grew rapidly and she filled many important positions
on various of the New York newspapers for many years. Her pen
name was "Jenny June." Her activity was remarkable and she
extended her work to a number of the magazines. She edited and
controlled many publications for a great number of years. Early
in life she became the wife of David B. Croly, then city editor
of the New York Herald, later managing editor of the New York
World, and subsequently editor of the Daily Graphic. In all of
these publications Mrs. Croly collaborated with her husband. In
March, 1868, Mrs. Croly, "Fanny Fern," Alice and Phoebe Cary,
Mrs. Charlotte B. Wilbour, Miss Kate Field, Mrs. Henry M. Field,
Mrs. Botta and other women met in Mrs. Croly's home in New York
and started the famous Sorosis with twelve charter members. This
was one of the pioneer women's clubs of America and to Mrs.
Croly should be given the credit of its inception. She served
for fourteen years as its president. She was among those calling
the Woman's Congress in New York in 1866, and again in 1869. She
was a member of the New York Academy of Sciences, of the Goethe
Club, and vice-president of the Association for the Advancement
of the Medical Education of Women. Her home was for many years a
center of attraction for authors, artists, actors and cultured
persons. Her writings, which continued until her death in 1901,
would fill many volumes.
Mrs. Sarah Platt Decker
One of the most distinguished clubwomen of the country is Mrs.
Sarah Piatt Decker, of Denver, Colorado. Mrs. Decker has been
very active in the work of the societies to which she belongs,
giving her time and strength to the work these clubs have
undertaken. She was for some time president of the Woman's Club
of Denver, and is considered an authority on the best methods
for civic improvement. She has been vice-president and president
of the National Federation of Clubs. Her exceptional talent and
wonderful executive ability contribute largely to the success of
the various clubs of which she is a member.
Mrs. Herman J. Hall was
born in Oneida County, New York, educated in Buffalo, New York.
Spent much time in travel and study of the history of art. Has
made a specialty of Pagan and Christian Symbolism in art and
lectures upon these subjects. Founded the League for Civic
Improvement and the Art Study Club in 1888, and which now
numbers nearly six hundred, the largest of its kind in America.
Ex-president of the Woman's Auxiliary and ex-second
vice-president, American Outdoor Art League. Ex-chairman Art
Committee General Federation Woman's Clubs for first four years
of Art Department Ex-chairman Art Committee Illinois Federation,
Woman's Club. Ex-chairman local Exhibition Committee Municipal
Art League at Art Institute, Chicago. Honorary member Chicago
Outdoor Art League; also Outdoor Art League of San Francisco and
founder of the Outdoor Art League of Los Angeles. Member Audubon
Park Board, New Orleans, La. Author of ''Two Women Abroad" and
contributor to various magazines. Most of the work done by Mrs.
Hall in the organizing of these various clubs and associations
was pioneer work. Her lectures are upon the travels and studies
which she has made in the various countries which are subjects
of her lectures. She has made a most exhaustive study of the
architecture, sculpture, metal work, paintings and prints,
porcelains and pottery, textiles, landscape art and flower cult
of Japan and China; also the history, agriculture, life and arts
of Russia, Spain and other European countries.
Minona Stearns Fitts Jones 1855 ~ 1926
Mrs. Charles H. Kumler
is a member of the Industrial and Child Labor Committee of the
Federation of Women's Clubs; has been active in this line of
work for many years, taking a special interest in the
organization and development of Noonday Club in factories where
young women are employed. She did much to create sentiment
favoring the regulation of child labor in Ohio. Aside from her
club interests she is a well-known collector of antiques and
possesses one of the most valuable and varied collections.
Mrs. Elizabeth Langworthy
was born in October, 1837, in Orleans County, New York. Her
father was one of the heirs of the Trinity Church property in
New York. Her mother was descended from a prominent French
In 1858 she became the wife of Stephen Langworthy of Dubuque,
Iowa, whose parents were among the early pioneers of that state.
In 1861 Mr. and Mrs. Langworthy made their home in Monticello,
Iowa, and here she was instrumental in founding the public
library of that city. Later, in the city of Seward, Nebraska,
where their home was established, she served as president of
many societies for local improvement and also of the Seward
History and Art Clubs and it was through her suggestion and
instrumentality as a member of the Board of Lady Managers of the
World's Columbian Exposition, that the hammer was presented to
Mrs. Potter Palmer, then president, with which she drove the
last nail in the Woman's Building. Mrs. Langworthy raised the
fund for this purpose.
Mrs. Lawrence Maxwell
was born and educated at Ann Arbor, Michigan, meeting her
husband. Mr. Maxwell, at the university. Mrs. Maxwell is an
ex-president of the Cincinnati clubs and largely identified with
the musical interests of Cincinnati. For seven years she has
been president of the board of managers of the Widows' and Old
Men's Home. Mrs. Maxwell was president of the local biennial
board of Cincinnati when the meeting of the General Federation
was held in that city in 1911. The success of this board is due
largely to the uniform tact and courtesy of Mrs. Maxwell, whose
wide club and social experience has been felt not only in
Cincinnati but throughout the state. Mrs. Maxwell has a broad
view of life and its duties, believing that a woman must prepare
herself to reign in her home while dispensing the courtesies and
sharing the enjoyments of social life, yet, she still must give
a large share of time, strength and interest to the betterment
Mrs. Philip N. Moore
Lucy Gaston Page
Miss Page, the founder of the Anti-Cigarette League of America,
was well known in Chicago club life and philanthropy, where she
founded, several years ago, this work which she carried to New
York City, where some of the leading citizens of that metropolis
are co-operating with her. We know of no greater field of
usefulness or benefit to the human race of the future than the
work done by this organization. Investigations on this subject
have been started by the interest developed by this organization
in many states. The Sage Foundation experts have taken it up in
the New York public schools; the Big Brother Movement has also
become interested in the importance of this work. It is rapidly
commanding the attention of sociologists and philanthropic and
home economic workers throughout the country.
Miss Elizabeth F. Pierce
is the daughter of the late Charles W. Pierce, a business man of
Boston, and a niece of Mrs. J. Ellen Horton Foster, and was born
in Boston, Massachusetts. She is noted in her native city for
her earnest religious and philanthropic work, especially in the
Foreign and Home Missionary Societies of the Methodist Episcopal
Church. After the death of her father, she and her mother, Mrs.
Foster's sister, removed to Washington. Miss Pierce immediately
identified herself with her church, and its wonderful work along
many lines. She has been most active at a member of missionary
society, the Daughters of the American Revolution and other
patriotic associations. She was elected recording secretary
general of the Daughters of the American Revolution, serving as
such until 1911, when she was elected chaplain general of that
Catherine Nobles, born
in New Orleans, Louisiana. Her father, Charles H. Nobles, was a
native of Providence, Rhode Island, who moved to New Orleans in
early life. Her father was one of the founders of the Howard
Association of New Orleans. Was an officer of that body until
his death. Mr. Nobles had rendered valuable assistance in the
various epidemics that fell upon New Orleans from 1837-1867.
Miss Nobles has been prominent in club life in New Orleans and
became widely known as a club woman; she served as secretary of
the Woman's club of New Orleans and the Woman's League of
Louisiana. In 1892 at a meeting of die General Federation of
Woman's Clubs of the United States, held in Chicago, Miss Nobles
was elected Ofie of die board of directors.
Stone Quinton 1833 ~ 1926
Mrs. Nettie Ransford
was born November 6, 1858, in Little Falls, New York. In 1898
she was General Grand Matron of the Masonic Order of the Eastern
Star. This order is an organization of the wives and daughters
of Masons and affiliates in their charitable work. Her parents
were from Scotland. After graduating in 1857 she settled in
Nebraska and taught school in Omaha and Fort Calhoun, here, in
1858, she married William T. Ransford, and in 1862 they moved to
Laporte, Indiana. She was one of the first women who joined the
Order of the Eastern Star, soon after that order was organized
in 1872. She was elected Worthy Matron in 1874 and re-elected
several times. In 1879 she was elected Grand Matron, being
re-elected to this office several times. She was elected Most
Worthy General Grand Matron in the sessions of the General Grand
Chapter held in Indianapolis in 1879, and was the first General
Grand Matron to serve under the changed constitution. Her duties
are such that she has traveled through-out the entire General
Grand Jurisdiction and has distinguished herself in ways which
can only be appreciated and understood by members of this order.
Caroline M. Seymour Severance 1820 ~ 1914
Mrs. Lucinda H. Stone
was born in Hinesburg, Vermont, in 1814. Her maiden name was
Lucinda Hinesburg. She has always been active in educational
work, has founded many women's libraries and has been often
called the "Mother of Women's Clubs of the State of Michigan;"
taught in several of the well-known educational institutions in
that state. In 1840 she became the wife of Dr. J. A. B. Stone,
also a teacher. In 1843 they took up their residence in
Kalamazoo, Michigan, where Dr. Stone was president of the
Kalamazoo College for twenty years. The female department of
this institution was under Mrs. Stone's charge for many years.
Before the war, Mrs. Stone's home was the resort of the
abolitionist and equal suffrage leaders.
In 1864 Mrs. Stone gave up her educational work and devoted her
time to the organizing of women's clubs and societies for the
education of women. Mrs. Stone was the first woman to use her
influence toward the admitting of women to the University of
Michigan, and for the work which she did in this direction, the
University of Michigan, m 1891, conferred upon her the degree of
Doctor of Philosophy.
Mrs. Grace Wilbur Trout
was born and educated in Maquoketa, Iowa. Discerning early that
certain qualities of voice made her especially fitted for
platform speaking, she specialized in that form of study. Her
father drilled her, and often said to her, "When you talk, say
something." Instead of entering the profession for which she had
been prepared, she married George W. Trout, and a few years
later they moved to Chicago. Not long afterwards, Mrs. Trout
became interested in the Mormon question, writing a story
entitled "The Mormon Wife," which received great commendation.
Mrs. Trout was at one time president of the Ladies' Auxiliary of
the National Club; member of the West End Women's Club;
president of the Women's Auxiliary of the Oak Park Club; member
of the Nineteenth Century Club of Oak Park; member of the
Chicago Women's Club for ten years, and member of the Chicago
Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Is
president of the largest Equal Suffrage League in Illinois. She
is one of the well-known speakers on the subject of equal
suffrage in the Middle West, being thoroughly informed on her
subject. Filled with the enthusiasm of it she presents her theme
in a masterly shape.
Source: The Part Taken by Women in
American History, By Mrs. John A. Logan, Published by The Perry-Nalle
Publishing Company, Wilmington, Delaware, 1912.