Part of the American
History & Genealogy Project
The United Daughters of the Confederacy
Introduction by Cornelia Branch Stone.
It is a privilege accorded me by the
author of this work, to write, at her request, a brief
introductory to that part of her book which recognizes the
organization known as the United Daughters of the Confederacy, a
body of Southern women, approximately numbering sixty thousand,
and now organized in thirty-one states, the District of Columbia
and city of Mexico, Republic of Mexico.
In 1894 the chapters of the Daughters of
the Confederacy, which had been previously formed in many of the
Southern states met in Nashville, Tennessee, and organized
themselves into one general federation, the objects of which are
"memorial, historical, benevolent, educational and social,
namely to honor the memory of those who served and those who
fell in the service of the Confederate states; to record the
part taken by the women of the South, in patient endurance of
hardships and patriotic devotion during the struggle, as well as
their untiring effort, after the war, in the reconstruction of
the South; to collect and preserve the material for a true
history of the war between the states; to protect and preserve
historical places of the Confederacy; to fulfill the sacred duty
of charity to the survivors of that war, and to those dependent
upon them; to promote the education of the needy descendants of
worthy Confederates; and to cherish the ties of friendship among
the members of the association."
With such aims and purposes, the women
of this organization, worthy daughters of noble sires, have
cared for the living veterans, and urged upon the legislatures
of the Southern states the payment of pensions and the
establishment and maintenance of homes for these old heroes, and
for the needy Confederate women. By their own efforts they have
erected monuments throughout the South, to commemorate the
heroism of the "men behind the guns," and their great leaders,
among whom stand high on the scroll of fame, the name of Robert
E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, J. E. B. Stuart and a host of others
who have now become, in our reunited country, a common heritage,
as types of American courage and valor.
Under a well-organized educational
system, much valuable work is being done for the higher
education of worthy sons and daughters of needy Confederates by
securing scholarships in universities and colleges. Within such
sacred effort, no spirit of antagonism or bitterness has
entered, for the heart and soul of this organization has lived
and had its being in a clearer, purer atmosphere, where loyalty
and faithfulness to our common country has had full part; and
the youth of our land while being taught to honor and revere
these memories, are also instructed in that patriotism, which
leads to the highest type of citizen-ship, and which will give
to the service of our country faithfulness and honesty of
With such inspiration it is not
surprising that the women of this organization, theirs of a rich
heritage of glorious achievements, calling forth the best
qualities of manhood and womanhood, should have in many cases,
developed a high order of executive and administrative ability.
Mrs. A. Baum ~ 1910
Mrs. Baum, late of Irwinton, Georgia, was born near Bingen,
Germany. She emigrated to the United States in 1849 and came to
Georgia, residing in Savannah one year, when she removed to
Irwinton and there married. From 1850 till her death Irwinton
was her home. She died October 30, 1910.
During the trying times of 1861-1865 she was ever diligent in
aiding in every way in her power the cause of the Confederacy,
by donating food, clothing and medicines to the soldiers, and by
caring for the needy and sick wives and children of the soldiers
of her country at the front.
Annie H. (Faulkner) Bocock
Mrs. Annie H. Bocock, the second wife of Thomas S. Bocock, the
distinguished Virginia statesman, was a worthy companion during
the latter part of his distinguished career. She was the
daughter of Charles James Faulkner, who was minister from the
United States to Paris at the outbreak of the war.
She is the mother of three children, W. P. Bocock, Mrs. Thomas
Carey Johnson and Mrs. Sallie D. Reynolds. She makes her home at
Richmond, Virginia; is an active worker in the Daughters of the
Confederacy and in all patriotic and philanthropic work of her
state and city.
Mrs. Cohen was ninety-three years old on May 30, 1911. During
the four years of the war she remained in Savannah, making it
her duty to look after the needs of the Southern soldiers, who
had been exchanged, and attended them in sickness, and in every
way ministered to their comfort
When Captain Cuyler, who was then ordnance officer, did not have
sufficient bullets, she took the leaden weights from her
windows, putting wood in their place to support the windows, and
with those weights Captain Cuyler made five hundred bullets.
She, with her two daughters, Fanny (Mrs. Henry Taylor) and
Georgina (Mrs. Clavius Phillips) made in their home two kegs of
gunpowder. She also made and collected clothes which she sent to
Jekyl Island to Captain Charles Lamar, for his men.
Miss Katie Daffan was twice state president of the Daughters of
the Confederacy of Texas, and author of "Woman in History"
'The Woman on the Pine Springs Road" "Texas Hero
Stories," and 'Verses and Fables."
Sarah Ann Ellis Dorsey
Mrs. Dorsey was the daughter of Thomas G. P. Ellis and was born
at Natchez, Mississippi. She was the niece of Mrs. Catherine
Warfield, who left her many of her manuscripts. In 1853 she
married Mr. Samuel W. Dorsey, of Tensas Parish, Louisiana. She
established a chapel and school for slaves. Their home was
destroyed during the war and they removed to Texas, but
afterwards returned to Louisiana, and in 1875, on the death of
her husband, made her home at "Beauvoir" and acted as the
amanuensis of Jefferson Davis in his great work, "Rise and Fall
of the Confederacy." In her will she left this beautiful home to
Mr. Davis and his daughter Winnie.
Mrs. Gardner was born near Bingen in Germany. She immigrated to
Georgia in 1849 and removed to Florida in 1853. At the
commencement of the war she lived at Fernandina and shortly
before its occupation by the Federals removed to Waldo, Florida.
While residing at Waldo she did all she could to feed the hungry
and relieve the sick and furloughed boys passing her door. In
the summer of 1864 the family removed to Savannah, Georgia,
where she is still living and is in her ninetieth year.
The daughter of Mrs. Adaline Gardner aided and assisted her
mother during the war, from 1860 to 1865, to the best of her
ability, although but a young girl at the time, by feeding the
hungry and nursing the sick.
Among other women who have done conspicuous work in the United
Daughters of the Confederacy, we mention Mrs. Grant, who is of a
distinguished Virginia family, that of Lewis. She is the wife of
Chief Justice Grant of the Supreme Court of Missouri. She has
done splendid work in her state along educational lines.
Miss Martha Levy
Miss Martha Levy gave the same support to the cause as did all
the loyal women of the South.
Mrs. P. Y. Pember
Mrs. P. Y. Pember, eighty odd years old, residing at Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, was at the head of the Chimborazo Hospital,
Richmond, Virginia, and did wonderful work with little money,
few necessities and volunteer nurses.
Mrs. Percy V. Pennybacker
Mrs. Percy V. Pennybacker, of Texas, is president of the Texas
Federation of Women's Clubs, and author of "An Abridged History
of Texas," which is used in the public schools of that state.
She is a woman of fine attainments, and an easy, ready speaker.
She is also a member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Mrs. Philip Phillips
Mrs. Philip Phillips was in Washington with her husband. Judge
Phillips, at the breaking out of the war. She was sent, under
flag of truce, with two grown daughters and younger children to
Fortress Monroe, from which place they returned to their home in
New Orleans. Later Mrs. Phillips was imprisoned by Ben Butler on
Ship Island in the Gulf of Mexico for many months. She devoted
time and money to the cause, giving her jewels, even selling
them when she had no other money to give.
Her daughters, Fannie, now Mrs. Charles Hill, of Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, and Caroline, now Mrs. Frederic Myers, of
Savannah, Georgia, though very young, helped in the care of the
sick and wounded.
These four ladies were all daughters of
Mrs. S. Y. Levy, who worked earnestly for her adopted Southland,
being an Englishwoman never in America until after her marriage.
She lived to be ninety-four years old, and died in Philadelphia,
The following names are of women who
loved the cause and who fought the battles with their men, whose
hearts were torn with the bullets that mowed down the flower and
chivalry of the South: Mrs. Isaac Minis, Mrs. Abram Minis, Mrs.
Yates Levy, Mrs. Mordecai Myers, Mrs. Levy Myers, Mrs. Solomon
Cohen, the Misses Rebecca, Fanny and Cecelia Minis, and Mrs.
Mollie R. M. Rosenbery
Mrs. Mollie R. Macgill Rosenbery, of Galveston, Texas, is
prominent in the work of the Daughters of the Confederacy and a
philanthropist of note in Texas and other states.
Miss Simpson was a native of Charleston, South Carolina. She was
a young woman when the War Between the States began. She was
heart and soul with the Confederacy and devoted her time,
energies and money to the help and needs of the Southern
soldiers, nursing the sick and wounded in the hospitals of
Charleston and Columbia, South Carolina. At the close of the
war, she, with other devoted women, formed the Memorial
Association and founded the Confederate Home, both of
Charleston, South Carolina. She was secretary of the former, and
vice-president and one of the Board of Control of the Home from
its formation until her death, at the age of eighty-five, in
Source: The Part Taken by Women in
American History, By Mrs. John A. Logan, Published by The Perry-Nalle
Publishing Company, Wilmington, Delaware, 1912.