Part of the American History and Genealogy Project


 Jefferson County Newspapers

Port Townsend
Argus, see Puget Sound Argus. Call. "Other papers have been published at the port of entry for short periods, but have left no record of their existence. Among those now remembered is the Call, which is still believed to be living." (Charles Prosch, in Washington Press Association Proceedings, 1887-1890, page 36.) The paper was established on April 11, 1885, by Glenn & O'Brien, Glenn selling; his interest to O'Brien on July 1, 1885. The firm became George W. O'Brien & Company on October 14, 1887. (Edwin N. Fuller, in Washington Press Association Proceedings, 1887-1890, page 83.) The paper became a daily in 1888. (Polk's Puget Sound Directory for 1888.) The paper was Democratic in politics. (Lord & Thomas Newspaper Directory for 1890.) No files have been located.

Cyclop. The Seattle Intelligencer, on October 16, 1871, announced: "Julius Dickens, Esq., late of the Message, has commenced the publication of a daily newspaper at Port Townsend, printed on a half sheet and containing three or four columns of reading matter. Its appearance is very creditable. It is called The Cyclop." The Seattle paper also commented editorially saying that an "s" should have been added to the name. The Cyclop was of short life and no file has been reported.

Democratic Press, founded in 1877 by Dr. H. C. Willison and H. L. Blanchard, a young lawyer from Seattle. Charles Prosch says the paper was begun in opposition to the Argus and the custom house clique and continuing: "The Press soon became an elephant on their hands, the sustenance of which cost more than they had bargained for." (In Washington Press Association Proceedings, 1887-1890, page 35.) Frank Meyers bought the paper from its founders and continued its publication for about two years. Files of the first three volumes and for half a dozen issues in 1880 are in the University of Washington Library.

Leader, an independent daily (including Sunday), founded on October 1, 1888, by W. I. Jones. The burden was too great for his health and he sold out in May, 1889, to J. E. Clark. Partial files are in the State Library, Olympia.

Message, founded in May, 1867, by Al. Pettygrove, was a small paper of only local interest. (PI. H. Bancroft, Works, Volume XXXI., page 379.) Captain E. S. Fowler bought the paper in 1869, made it Democratic in politics under the editorial guidance of Henry E. Sutton, formerly publisher of the Port Townsend Register. (Olympia Transcript, April 10, 1869.) Two years later, on August 12, 1871, the Olympia Transcript reported that the Message had announced its own suspension of publication. No files of the paper are reported.

Northern Light, the Olympia Pioneer and Democrat, on November 2, 1860, reported the receipt of the first issue of such a paper

North-West a weekly Republican paper established on July 5, 18(30, by E. S. Dyer and John F. Damon, was edited first by Mr. Dyer but soon Mr. Damon assumed editorial control. He advocated most vigorously the claims of Port Townsend as the port of entry and waged relentless war against Victor Smith, Collector of Customs, who was attempting to move the port of entry to Port Angeles. The Olympia Washington Standard announced on October 19, 1861, that Mr. Damon had withdrawn from the North-West and on December 7, 1861, that he had resumed control of the paper. The North-West expired in December, 1861. (H. H. Bancroft, Works, Volume XXXI., page 378.) No files have been reported.

Charles Prosch said that Mr. Damon had been the editor of one or two papers in California, San Francisco correspondent of eastern papers and a travelling correspondent for Victoria and California papers. After his experience with the North-West, Mr. Damon became an itinerant minister of the Congregational Church, and during the last years of his life was the most popular marrying and burying preacher in the whole Puget Sound district. (In Washington Press Association Proceedings, 1887-1890, page 35.)

Port of Entry Times, established as a semi-weekly on January 9, 1884, by R. R. Parkinson and Hugh Gleen. (Edwin N. Fuller, in Washington Press Association Proceedings, 1887-1890, page 82.) No files are reported.

Puget Sound Argus, established on July 21, 1870, by Al Pettygrove, who had purchased the plant of the defunct Steilacoom Herald. Three years before Mr. Pettygrove had established the Port Townsend Message. His new venture was to be an independent weekly. The Puget Sound contemporaries spoke well of the paper and of its young editor. On October 31, 1872, the Argus announced temporary suspension of publication while new printing equipment was being secured from San Francisco. The Seattle Intelligencer, November 11, 1872, announced that the people of Steilacoom had bought back the plant used by the Argus in order to re-establish in Steilacoom a paper of which Julius Dickens was to be publisher. The new materials for the Argus left San Francisco on the barkentine Harrison on January 23, 1873, and on March 3, 1873, the Seattle Intelligencer announced that the Puget Sound Argus had resumed publication as a semi-weekly, presenting "a very creditable and neat appearance." Ill health over took Mr. Pettygrove, who sold his plant to C. W. Philbrick in February, 1874. The press of the defunct Message was added to the plant of the Argus, which was enlarged and entered upon a prosperous career, "In 1877, Philbrick, after accumulating considerable property, sold the Argus to Allen Weir." (Charles Prosch, in Washington Press Association Proceedings, 1887-1890, page 35.) Mr. Weir added a daily edition. On August 31, 1883, Mr. Weir sold one-half interest in the paper to W. L. Jones. In 1890, the entire plant was destroyed by fire and the paper was not resumed. (Edwin N. Fuller in Washington Press Association Proceedings, 1887-1890, page 80.) The complete files of the paper were lost in the fire. A few numbers have been saved in the University of Washington Library.

Register, established on December 23, 1859, by Travers Daniels, was devoted to news, literature and local interests. When Mr. Daniels returned to Virginia in March, 1860, Mr. Whitacre became editor. The Olympia Pioneer and Democrat on August 17, 1860, reported that the paper was suspended for a few weeks "owing to the sickness of Mr. Whitacre, the editor, and a law suit." In November it was revived for a time by H. M. Frost and P. M. O'Brien as publishers and H. L. Sutton as editor. (H. H. Bancroft, Works, Volume XXXL, 378.) No files have been located.

Star, established on February 8, 1883, by F. M. Walch, who continued its publication for about six weeks. (Edwin N. Fuller, in Washington Press Association Proceedings, 1887-1890, page 82.)

Washington AHGP |  County Newspapers

Source: Washington Historical Quarterly, Volume 13-14, 1923

Please Stop by again!!


Back to Washington AHGP

This page was last updated Friday, 15-Nov-2019 09:44:55 EST

Copyright August @2011 - 2024 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project.