Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

Wisconsin Gazetteer ~ I ~ J ~

Wisconsin Gazetteer, Containing the names, location, and advantages, of the Counties, Cities, Towns, Villages, Post Offices, and Settlements, together with a description of the Lakes, Water Courses, Prairies, and Public Localities, in the State of Wisconsin. Alphabetically arranged.

Notice. Names and descriptions prepared too late for their proper place, will be found in the Appendix.

Abbreviations
L, Lake Pr., Prairie
P.O. Post Office P. V. Post Village
R, River T, Town
V, Village
CH., Court House, or County Seat

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

India, P. O., in county of Green, being on section 2, town 1 N., of range 8 E.

Inmansville, P. V., in town of Newark, Rock County, a Norwegian village, on town 1 N., of range 11 E. The only Norwegian paper in the State is printed in this village.

Iowa, County, is bounded on the north by Richland and Sauk, on the east by Dane and a portion of Green, on the south by Lafayette, and on the west by Grant. It was formed from Crawford by an act of the legislative assembly of Michigan October 9, 1829, at which time it included all of the present State of Wisconsin, south of the Wisconsin River, and west of "a line drawn due north from the northern boundary of Illinois, through the middle of the Portage between the Fox and Wisconsin Rivers." On the 6th September, 1834, the southern boundary of Iowa County was changed to the line between the Green Bay and Wisconsin land districts, which was a north and south line from the northern boundary of Illinois along the range of township line next west of Fort Winnebago, to the Wisconsin River, on the range line between ranges 8 and 9. The seat of justice is at Mineral Point. It is watered by branches of the Peckatonnica River, Blue River, and Mineral and Pipe creeks. The county contains about 750 square miles, and is eminently a mining county, but is also equally valuable for its agricultural resources. The soil is not surpassed in fertility by any in the State. Prairie and timber land in about equal proportions. The wheat or corn crop along the Wisconsin River never fails. The population is composed of Americans, Germans, English, Welsh, and Irish. The whole northern portion of the county, to a distance of eight or ten miles from the Wisconsin River, is peculiarly an agricultural country, and unsurpassed for stock raising. South from this, the mineral region extends in every direction, over prairie and woodland. The central and southern portion of the county is a mining country, but none the less adapted to farming, for its rich soil and abundant water render any part of it attractive. Prairie and timber alternately predominate. Streams of water meander through every ravine, furnishing not only irrigation for the land but a large quantity of water power. The ague and fevers of the West are unknown here. The advantages of this county are briefly, health, mineral wealth, agricultural resources, and abundant water power. The railroad to State line and connection with Chicago will give the settlers here a constant market. This county is connected with the fifth judicial circuit, the second congressional district, and, with Richland, forms the fifteenth senate district. It is divided into two assembly districts:
1. Towns of Highland, Dodgeville, Ridgway, Arena, Wyoming, Pulaski, and Clyde.
2. Towns of Mineral Point, Mifflin, Lyndon and Waldwick.
The population in 1830 was 1,589; 1836, 3,218; 1838, 5,234; 1840, 3,978; 1842, 5,029 including Richland, 1846, 14,905; 1847, 7,963; 1850, 10,479. County Officers for 1853 and 1854: County Judge, Parley Eaton; Sheriff, H. N. Mumford; Clerk of Court, James Hutchinson; Clerk of Board of Supervisors, James B. Gray; Register of Deeds, N . B. Boyden; County Treasurer, John. B. Uren; District Attorney, Amasa Cobb; County Surveyor, Henry Madden.

Iron Ridge, P. V., in town of Hubbard, on section 13, town 11 N., of range 16 E., of Dodge County, 8 miles east from Juneau, and 50 miles northeast from Madison. It was first settled in 1849, and is on the Milwaukee and Mayville plank road, in a good farming region of land, with abundance of water, and an inexhaustible bed of the best quality of iron, occupying about 80 acres of surface, and from 10 to 50 feet deep. Population 60; with 15 dwellings, 1 store, 1 hotel, 1 mill, 2 asheries, 1 pearl-house and saleratus manufactory.

Iron, River, a tributary of Lake Superior, in La Pointe County, east of Bois Brule River.

Island, Lake, in town of Dunn, Dane County, on section 27, town 6 N., of range 10 E.

Ives Grove, P. O., in Racine County.

Ixonia, P. O., in town of same name, Jefferson County, on section 30, town 8 N., of range 16 E., known as Piperville, on Rock River, 6 miles above Watertown.

Ixonia, Town, in county of Jefferson, being town 8 N, of range 16 E.; centrally located, 14 miles northeast from Jefferson. The population in 1850 was 1,113. It has 11 school districts.

Jackson, Town, in county of Washington, being town 10 N., of range 20 E.; centrally located, 15 miles southwest from Ozaukee. The population in 1850 was 1,038. It has 10 school districts.

Jamestown, Town, in county of Grant, being fractional town 1 N., of range 2 W.; centrally located, 20 miles southwest from Lancaster. It has 3 school districts.

Jamestown, P. V., Grant County, on section 1 of town of same name, 26 miles south from Lancaster, and 85 miles southwest from Madison, is in a healthy location, on the head waters of the Menominee creek. It has a population of 100; with 25 dwellings, 1 store, 1 hotel, 1 good public school, 2 religious denominations, a lodge of I. O. O. F., and a division of Sons of Temperance.

Janesville, City, see Appendix.

Janesville, Town, in county of Rock, being town 3 N., of range 12 E.; located in the southeast corner of which is Janesville the county seat. The population in 1850 was 3,419. It has 12 school districts.

Jefferson, County, is bounded on the north by Dodge, east by Waukesha, south by Walworth and Rock, and west by Dane, and is four townships square, containing 576 sections. It was set off December 7, 1836, and established from Milwaukee, to which it remained attached until 29th February, 1839, when it was completely organized. The county seat is at the village of Jefferson, opposite the forks of the Crawfish with Rock River, and near the centre of the county. Its streams are, Rock, Crawfish, and Bark River, and Johnson's Scupernong, Whitewater, Waterloo, Duck, and Battle creek. The northeastern portion of the county is covered by the best growth of hard timber in the State, the southeast by prairie, and the remainder by openings. The surface of the western portion of the county is level or gently undulating. The excellent farming land, being well watered and timbered, together with its location and enterprising inhabitants, entitle it to a position among the best counties in the State. The county of Jefferson constitutes the fifteenth senate district) and is divided into three assembly districts, viz.:
1. The town of Watertown.
2. The town of Waterloo, Milford, Late Mills, and Oakland.
3. Jefferson and Koskonong.
4. Ixonia, Concord, Farmington and Aztalan.
5. Hebron, Sullivan, Cold-spring and Palmyra.
It is connected with the second judicial circuit, and the third congressional district. The population in 1838 was 468; 1840, 914; 1842, 1,638; 1846, 8,680; 1847, 11,464; 1850, 15,339. Dwellings, 2,933; manufactories, 25; farms, 1,042.

Jefferson, Town, in county of Green, being town 1 N., of range 8; centrally located, 6 miles southeast from Monroe. The population in 1850 was 692. It has 7 school districts.

Jefferson, Town, in county of Jefferson, being town 6 N., of range 14 E. The county seat is in this town. The population in 1850 was 1,610. It has 11 school districts.

Jefferson, P. V. and C. H., in town and county of same name, on sect. 11, is located at the junction of Crawfish and Rock Rivers, near the canter of the county, and 32 miles east from Madison, on the line of R. R. V. U. R. R. This place is between the, timber and openings, and has not been properly developed on account of the poor roads from the east; they, however, have recently been much improved. The surrounding country is thickly settled, having a family upon nearly every 40 acre tract of land. These farms are just beginning to pay well, and this vicinity is destined to be one of the best farming districts of the West. There is a good water power on Rock River, and another on the Crawfish. It has 950 inhabitants, 150 dwellings, 10 stores, 2 hotels, 4 mills, 1 chair factory, 3 shoe shops, 2 churches, a courthouse and jail.

Jefferson, Prairie, is the name of a large prairie in Clinton, Rock County.

Johnsons Creek, rises in the town of Watertown, runs south into Farmington, and thence west into Rock River, in the town of Aztalan, Jefferson County.

Johnson's Rapids, this was the former name of the excellent hydraulic power of Rock River, at the present village of Watertown, Jefferson County. The descent of the river in two miles is about 25 feet.

Johnstown, Town, in county of Rock, being town 3 N., range 14 E.; centrally located, ten miles east from Janesville. Population in 1850 was 1,271. It has 9 school districts.

Johnstown, P. V., on section 23 of town of same name, 13 miles east from Janesville, and fifty miles southeast from Madison. It has about 40 dwellings, 2 stores, 2 hotels, 1 Baptist and 1 Congregational church. It has a pleasant and healthy location on Rock Prairie, and in a vicinity of farms of good soil and well cultivated. Much attention has been paid to the raising of sheep, with satisfactory results.

Johnstown Centre, P. V., on section 24 of town of same name, 10 miles east from Janesville, and 42 miles southeast from Madison. It has 200 inhabitants, 40 dwellings, 2 stores, and 1 hotel. It is located at the junction of the Chicago and Madison with the Janesville and Milwaukee stage roads, on the north edge of Rock Prairie.

Jordan, Town, in the county of Greene, being town 2 N., of range 6. The population in 1850 was 389. It has 4 school districts.

Juneau, P. V. (formerly Dodge Centre,) and county seat of Dodge county, is situated on section 21 of town 11 N., of range 15 E., being the town of Oak Grove, formerly Fairfield. It has a beautiful location, on the surveyed route of the R. R. V. U. R.R. Population 300; with 50 dwellings, 3 stores, 2 hotels, and 3 religious denominations.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer,  By John Warren Hunt. Madison: Beriah Brown, Printer, 1853

Back to Wisconsin

 


AHGP

Back to AHGP

This web page was last updated.
Wednesday, 26-Feb-2014 18:43:20 EST

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.