Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

Wisconsin Gazetteer ~ W ~ Y ~

Wisconsin Gazetteer, Containing the names, location, and advantages, of the Counties, Cities, Towns, Villages, Post Offices, and Settlements, together with a description of the Lakes, Water Courses, Prairies, and Public Localities, in the State of Wisconsin. Alphabetically arranged.

Notice. Names and descriptions prepared too late for their proper place, will be found in the Appendix.

Abbreviations
L, Lake Pr., Prairie
P.O. Post Office P. V. Post Village
R, River T, Town
V, Village
CH., Court House, or County Seat

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Wabangi Onigom, Portage, see Plover Portage.

Wabinck, River, rises near the centre of Waupacca County, and runs southeast, entering Wolf River a mile north of the mouth of the Waupacca River.

Wabizipinikan, River, see Willow River.

Waldwic, P. O., in Iowa County.

Waldwic, Town, in southeast comer of Iowa County, intersected by the east Peckatonnica and Yellowstone creek. It possesses both prairie and timber, is sparsely settled, and is adapted both to mining and farming.

Wallace, P. O., in Iowa County.

Walnut Springs, P. O., in Green County.

Walworth, County, is bounded north by Jefferson and Waukesha, east by Racine and Kenosha, south by the State of Illinois, and west by Rock. It was set off Dec. 7, 1836, from Milwaukee, to which it was attached for judicial purposes, and was fully organized January 17, 1838. The county seat is at Elkhorn, the centre of the county. The surface is for the most part undulating, but through its whole extent there are small bodies of level prairie or meadow land, and abrupt and irregular hills or knobs. A chain of these enters the county, about the middle of the northern line, and runs through the northwestern corner. The greater portion of the county consists of oak openings. There are some 12 or more prairies of limited size, exclusive of low lands and marshes. There are also a few small bodies of heavy timber. Of soil, there are many varieties. The prairie, high and low; the openings of white, black, and burr oak; all have their peculiarities of soil, and are all fitted in a high degree to the different productions of the country. The most considerable streams are the Geneva Outlet, Sugar and Honey Creeks, running east-ward into Fox River and Turtle and Whitewater creeks, running westward into Rock River. These all head in the county, and are fed by springs. The population of the county consists mainly of people from the New England and other Eastern States. It ranks among the very first counties of the State for its intelligence, enterprise, fertility and wealth. The principal villages are Geneva, Delavan, Whitewater, Elkhorn and East Troy. Population in 1838, 1,019; 1840, 2,611; 1842, 4,618; 1846, 13,439; 1847, 15,039; 1850, 17,866; with 1,960 farms, 3,092 dwellings, and 82 manufactories. It belongs to the first judicial circuit, the first congressional district, forms the twelfth senate district, and sends five members to the assembly, as follows:
1. Towns of Whitewater, Richmond and La Grange.
2. Towns of Sugar Creek, Lafayette and Troy.
3. Towns of East Troy and Spring Prairie.
4. Elkhorn, Geneva and Hudson.
5. Delavan, Darien and Sharon.
6. Walworth, Linn, and Bloomfield.

County Officers: Judge, William C. Allen; Sheriff, J. C. Crum; Clerk of Court, Wm. H. Pettit; Register, John Perry.

Walworth, P. V., near centre of town of same name, on section 17; 11 miles southwest from Elkhorn, and 70 miles southeast from Madison, in a good farming region. Population 60, with 10 dwellings, 1 store, and a Baptist Church.

Walworth, Town, in county of Walworth, being town 1 N. of range 16 E.; centrally located, 10 miles southwest from Elkhorn. Population in 1850 was 987. It has 7 school districts.

Warner's, Creeks a small stream entering the Wisconsin, in town 6 N., of range 5 W. f Grant County.

Warner's Landing, P. O., (discontinued), in Bad Ax County.

Warren, P. O., in Rock County.

Warren, Town, in county of Waushara, being town 18 N., of range 12.

Warren, Town, Waukesha County, name changed to Merton.

Warwick, P. O., in Marquette County.

Washington, County, is bounded on the north by Fond du Lac and Sheboygan, on the east by the State line in Lake Michigan, on the south by Milwaukee and Waukesha, and on the west by Dodge. It was set off from Milwaukee December 7, 1836, was organized for county purposes August 30, 1840, and fully established February 20, 1845. By an act of the legislature, approved in 1853, the portion of the county east of range 20, was set off and organized into a new county, by the name of Ozaukee, and the county seat of the new county was fixed at Ozaukee, (Port Washington), and that of Washington county, at West Bend, near the centre of the county. The surface is rolling, and abounds in living springs and streams of water, and is heavily timbered with oak, beech, maple, ash, &c. A large majority of the farmers are hardy Germans, who cultivate thoroughly. Wheat has been a surer crop for the last few years in this than in any other county in the State. The soil is well adapted to the raising of the grape and to tillage. The county is connected with the third judicial circuit, and with the third congressional district, and its legislative representation is as follows: The towns of Mequon, Cedarburg, Grafton, Port Washington, Saukville, Fredonia and Belgium, constitute the third senate district. The towns of Erin, Richfield, Germantown, Jackson, Polk, Hartford, Addison, West Bend, Newark, Trenton, Farmington, Kewaskum and Wayne, constitute the fourth senate district.
First assembly district, towns of Belgium, Fredonia, Saukville, and Port Washington.
Second assembly district, towns of Cedarburg, Grafton and Mequon.
Third assembly district, towns of Erin, Richfield, Polk, Jackson, and Germantown.
Fourth assembly district, Hartford, Addison, Wayne, Kewaskum, Newark, West Bend, Trenton and Farmington.
The principal streams are the Milwaukee River and Oconomowoc creek. Population in 1838, 64; 1840, 343; 1842, 965; 1846, 7,473; 1847, 15,447; 1850, 19,476. There are 1,636 farms, 381 buildings, and 7 manufactories.

Washington, Town, in county of Green, being town 3 N., of range 7; centrally located, 8 miles north from Monroe. Population in 1850 was 317. It has 4 school districts.

Washwagowing, Lake, see Flambeau Lake.

Wassawa, Lake, see Yellow Lake.

Wassawa, River, see Yellow River.

Waterford, P. V., on section 35, in town of Rochester, Racine county; 23 miles northwest from city of Racine, and 80 miles southeast from Madison. It is situated on Fox River (Pishtaka) 25 miles southwest from Milwaukee, and has a fine hydraulic power. Population 500, with 100 dwellings, 4 stores, 2 hotels, 2 flouring mills, 3 saw mills, several mechanical shops, and a woolen factory; with 4 denominations, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Catholic, the latter having a good church edifice.

Waterloo, Town, in county of Jefferson, being town 8 N., of range 13 E.; centrally located, 12 miles northwest from Jefferson. Population in 1850 was 831. It has 6 school districts.

Waterloo, Town, in county of Grant, being fractional town 2 and 3 N., of range 4 W.; centrally located, 12 miles southwest from Lancaster. It has 2 school districts.

Waterloo, P. V., on section 8, in town of same name, Jefferson County, being the most northwest town in said county. It is 16 miles northwest from Jefferson, and 25 miles east from Madison. The location is on a creek of the same name, with a good hydraulic power sufficient for three mills now in operation. Population 200, with 60 dwellings, 4 stores, 2 hotels, 1 church, 1 pump and 1 fanning mill manufactory, 1 cabinet, 2 wagon, 1 plough and 3 blacksmith shops.

Waterloo, Creek, rises in Bristol, Dane county, runs southeast into Jefferson County, thence northeast, emptying into Crawfish River in Portland, Dodge County.

Watertown, City, is situated on both sides of Rock River, at the line between Dodge and Jefferson County, on the old stage route, half way (40 miles) between Madison and Milwaukee, and 12 miles north of Jefferson. It is connected with Milwaukee by a plank road, and is a point in the charters of several rail roads. The location of Watertown, in the heart of an excellent farming country, its good hydraulic power, access to market, and the energy and spirit of its inhabitants, cannot fail to have it continue, as it now is, one of the largest and most important inland towns in the State. The following are some of the statistics of the place taken in May, 1853: Watertown now contains 4,000 inhabitants; with 6 dry good,. 11 grocery, 2 drug, and 3 hardware stores, 15 taverns, 1 tobacconist, 2 bakeries, 3 meat markets, and 2 livery stables, 7 blacksmith, 6 wagon, 2 joiner, 2 jewelry, 4 tin, 6 cabinet, 1 chair, 1 machine, and 5 shoe shops; 1 fork and hoe, 1 plough, 1 door and sash, and 1 saleratus factory; 3 flouring and 4 saw mills; 1 fanning mill and 2 harness maker's shops; 2 book stores, 2 barber's 6hops, 1 gunsmith, 1 tannery, 1 furnace, 1 pottery, 1 oil mil, 1 carding machine, 1 rake and cradle, factory, 1 woolen and yarn factory, 2 printing offices, 6 school houses, 2 select schools, Jones's Exchange bank, and several lawyer's offices.

Watertown, Town, in county of Jefferson, being town 8 N., of range 15 E.; centrally located, 11 miles north of Jefferson. Population in 1850, including village of same name, was 1850. It has 14 school districts.

Waterville, P. V., in east corner of Summit, Waukesha County.

Waukau, P. V., on section 36, in town of Rushford, Winnebago County, 12 miles southwest from Oshkosh, and about 60 miles northeast from Madison, 24 miles south of Neenah River, on the outlet of Kush Lake, with 30 feet fall of water, in a good and productive section of farming land. Population 500, with 150 dwellings, 7 stores, 3 hotels, 5 mills, and considerable water power unoccupied.

Waukesha, County, is bounded on the north by Dodge and Washington, on the east by Milwaukee, on the south by Walworth and Racine, on the west by Jefferson, and is 24 miles square. It was set off from Milwaukee and fully organized January 31, 1846. The eastern portion of the county is heavily timbered, while the western is divided between oak openings, prairie and marsh. The soil is good and well adapted to tillage and grazing. The county is distinguished for its numerous and beautiful lakes, there being probably more than 30 within its limits. It is watered by the Fox, (Pishtaka), Menomonee, Ashippin and Bark Rivers, and Oconomowoc, Scupernong, Poplar, White and Mukwonago creeks. Population in 1846 was 13,793; 1847, 15,866; 1850, 19,324. It has 2,561 dwellings, 1,743 farms, and 78 manufactories. The county of Waukesha is in the first congressional district and the second judicial circuit, and its legislative representation is as follows:
Ninth senate district, towns of Oconomowoc, Merton, Lisbon, Summit, Menomonee, Delafield, Pewaukee, and Brookfield.
Tenth senate district, towns of Ottawa, Genesee, Waukesha, New Berlin, Muskego, Vernon, Mukwonago and Eagle. The assembly districts are as follows:
1st. towns of Merton, Delafield, Summit and Oconomowoc.
2nd. towns of Pewaukee, Lisbon, Menomonee and Brookfield.
3d. towns of Ottawa, Genesee, Mukwonago and Eagle.
4th. towns of Waukesha, Vernon, Muskego and New Berlin.

County Officers for 1853 and 1854: Judge, Martin Field; Clerk of Court, Lemuel White; Register, William E. Williams; Sheriff, Charles B. Ellis; Clerk of Board of Supervisors, Benjamin E. Clark; District Attorney, John E. Gallagher; Surveyor, John O. Reedsburg.

Waukesha, Lake, a small lake in northwest corner of Norway, Racine County, about one mile in diameter and three quarters of a mile west of Wind Lake.

Waukesha, P. V. and C. H., is located on section 3, town 6, of range 19 E., in town and county of the same name, 18 miles west of Milwaukee and 70 east of Madison. It is situated on Fox River, (Pishtaka), near the head of a beautiful prairie from which it derived its former name of Prairieville. It is situated on the Milwaukee and Mississippi railroad. This place was incorporated in 1852, and has about 1,500 inhabitants, 1 flouring, 1 saw, and 1 carding mill, 1 iron foundry, 1 machine and car shop, 3 blacksmiths, 2 coopers, 2 wheelwrights, 6 shoe-makers, 2 cabinet makers, and 4 saddle and harness makers, 4 hotels, 8 dry good, 2 drug, 3 hardware and 7 grocery stores, 1 printing office, 6 churches, 1 academy, and is the seat of Carroll College, incorporated in 1846. It has a stone court house and jail built of the celebrated Waukesha limestone, and the several societies of Masons, S. of T., I. O. of O. F., D. of T., and B. of U.

Waukesha, Town, in county of same name, being town 6 N., of range 19 E.; centrally located, 3 miles south from village of Waukesha, the county seat. Population in 1850 was 2,314. It has 10 school districts. It is a good township of mostly prairie, and well watered, &c.

Waupacca, P. O., in Waupacca County.

Waupacca, Town, in county and on river of same name, west of Mukwa.

Waupacca, County, is bounded on the north and northeast by Oconto, on the east by Outagamie, on the south by Winnebago and Waushara, and on the west by Portage. It was set off from Winnebago and established February 17, 1851, and attached thereto for judicial purposes. It is watered by the Wolf, Waupacca, Wabunk, Embarrass and Little Wolf Rivers, and contains some of the best pine timber in the State. It being new, but little is known of its agricultural capacities. The county seat is at Mukwa, on Wolf River. Waupacca County belongs to the fourth judicial circuit, to the second senate and third congressional district, and with Outagamie and Oconto, sends one member to the assembly.

Waupacca, Falls, on river of same name, at which place is a descent of 7 feet.

Waupacca, River, rises near Plover, Portage County, and runs southeast, entering Wolf River near Mukwa.

Waupun, P. V., in county of Fond du Lac, being on section 32, town 14 N., of range 15 E., 18 miles southwest from Fond du Lac city, and 50 miles northeast from Madison. The village is divided by the county line between Dodge and Fond du Lac counties. Population 500, with 100 dwellings, 9 stores, 2 hotels, 2 mills, and 1 distillery; Presbyterian and Baptist churches. The States Prison is located at this place.

Waupun, Town, in county of Fond du Lac, being town 14 K, of range 15 E.; centrally located, 15 miles southwest from Fond du Lac. . Population in 1850 was 882. It has 5 school districts.

Wausau, P. V. & C. H., on sections 25, 35, 26 and 36, of town 29 N., of range 7 E., in Marathon County, at Big Bull Fails, on the Wisconsin. It is 150 miles north from Madison. Its location is good for manufacturing and agricultural interests combining fertility of soil, unsurpassed in the north, water power sufficient to supply the State, if properly distributed and large quantities of pine for future use. The place is new, having had a P. O. but two years. The interest lumbering chiefly; but recently attention has been paid to the cultivation of some of the maple ridges, which are very numerous, and found to repay the laborer largely. It has a migratory population of about 300; with 5 stores, 4 hotels, 4 mills with 12 run of stones, and 9 saw mills.

Waushara, County, is bounded on the north by Portage and Waupacca, east by Winnebago, south by Marquette, and west by Adams, and is 18 miles north and south by 36 miles east and west. It was established February 15, 1851, from Marquette, remaining in judicial connection therewith, until February 16, 1852, when it was completely organized. The seat of justice is at Sacramento, in the southeast corner of the county, on Fox River. This county embraces what has been familiarly known recently as the "Indian Lands" of Marquette County. It belongs to the third judicial circuit. County Officers for 1853 and 1854: Sheriff, Nathaniel Boyington; Clerk of Court, Allyn Boardman; District Attorney, 0. M. Seely; Register, James S. Bugh; Clerk of Board of Supervisors, Augustus P. Noyes; Treasurer, Charles JT. Shumway; Surveyor, S. W. Hall; Coroner, George Marshall.

Waushara, Town, in county of same name, being town 18, of range 13; in the southeast corner of which is Sacramento, the county seat.

Waushara, P. V., is situated on section 26, town 13 N., of range 13 E., in Dodge County, 17 miles northwest from Juneau, and 43 miles northeast from Madison. Population 400; with 60 dwellings, 6 stores, 3 hotels, 2 mills, 2 blacksmiths, 1 wagon maker; and 2 churches, with 5 denominations. It is on the Watertown and Fort Winnebago road, and the United States road from Fond du Lac to Fort Winnebago.

Wautoma, P. O., in town of same name, Waushara County, on section 34, town 19 N., of range 10 E.

Wautoma, Town, in county of Waushara, northwest from Sacramento.

Wauwatosa, P. V., in town of same name, in Milwaukee County, 5 miles west from Milwaukee, with which it is connected by the M. & M. R. R., and 2 plank roads. It is near the centre of the township, and has 4 stores, 2 hotels, 1 flour mill, 1 saw mill, various mechanics, and 2 churches, belonging to the Congregational and Baptist denominations, costing respectively $2,500 and $2,000, and a good school house.

Wauwatosa, Town, in county of Milwaukee, being town 7 N., of range 21 E.; centrally located, 5 miles from Milwaukee city. Population 2,500. It has 11 School districts. The surface of the country is rolling, with a good soil, presenting fine situations for residences, many good ones having been already erected. The social, educational, and religious advantages are of a superior order.

Wayakoming, Lake and River, form the head waters of the St. Croix River.

Wayne, Town, m Lafayette County.

Wayne, Town, in county of Washington, being town 12 N., of range 18 E.; centrally located, 24 miles northwest from Ozaukee. Population in 1850 was 714. It has 10 school districts.

Webster, Island, a small island in Fox Lake, Dodge County, in town 13 N., of range 13 E.

Wedger, Creek, a small branch of Black River, in La Crosse County, from the north, being in town 23 N., of range 2 W.

Welaunee, P. O., in Winnebago County.

Welch Fork, a branch from the north of Grant River, in Beetown, Grant County.

Wesacota, River (Brule or Wood River of Menomonee), is a branch of the Menomonee, forming a portion of the boundary line between Wisconsin and Michigan. It rises in Lake Brule, and is about 100 feet in width.

West Bend, Town, in county of Washington, being town 12 N., of range 19 E.; centrally located, 20 miles northwest from Ozaukee. Population in 1850 was 672. It has 4 school districts.

West Bend, P. V. and C. H., on section 14, in town of same 27 name, Washington County. It is 17 miles west from Ozaukee, and 90 miles northeast from Madison, on the Milwaukee River, with an excellent water power and good general advantages. The county seat of Washington County was established at this place in 1853. Population 500, with 200 dwellings, 7 stores, 2 hotels, 2 mills, 10 mechanical shops, 1 church and 3 denominations. It is on the road from Ozaukee to Fort Winnebago, at its junction with the Milwaukee and Fond du Lac plank road, and is a point on the air line railroad from Milwaukee to Fond du Lac.

Westfield, P. O., in town of same name, Marquette County.

Westfield, Town, in county of Marquette, being towns 16 and 17 N. of ranges 8 and 9 W.

West Fork of Montreal River a small tributary from the south-west, of Montreal River, in La Pointe County.

West Point, Town, in the county of Columbia, being town 10 N. of range 7 E.; centrally located, 17 miles southwest from Portage. Population in 1850 was 197. It has 4 school districts.

Westport, Town, in county of Dane, being town 8 N. of range 9 E.; centrally located, 8 miles north of Madison. It has 3 school districts.

West Rosendale, P. O., in Rosendale, Fond du Lac County.

Weyauwego, P. V., in Waupacca County.

Weyauwego, Town, in county of Waupacca, being town 21 N. of range 13; situated west from Mukwa.

Whaypaw, River, is a tributary, from the west, of the Wisconsin, in Marathon County.

Wheatland, P. V., in town of same name, Kenosha County.

Wheatland, Town, in county of Kenosha, being town 1, and S. one-third of town 2 N. of range 19 E.; centrally located, 22 miles southwest from Kenosha city. Population in 1850 was 1,193. It has 11 school districts.

White, Creek, a tributary of the Wisconsin, in Adams County.

White, Creek, a tributary from the west of Fox River, in Waukesha County.

White Elk, Lakes, are four in number, forming the most north-eastern head waters of the Chippewa River into which they run through the Manodowish. They are severally called Lower White Elk Lake, and Second, Third and Fourth White Elk Lakes.

White Fish, Bay, on western shore of Lake Michigan, in Door County.

White Fish, Lakes, emptying into Little Wisconsin River in 45° 45' north latitude, about half-way between Wisconsin and Little Wisconsin Rivers.

White, Lake, in the north part of town 25 N. of range 17 E., in Oconto County, discharges its waters southwesterly into Wolf River.

White, Rapids, are shoals of Menomonee River, below Penemee Falls.

White, River, rises in the western part of Waushara County, and runs southeast, entering Fox River, in town 17 north.

White Oak Springs, P. V., on section 32, town 1 N., of range 2 E.; being in county of Lafayette, and distant 5 miles from Shullsburg, and 80 miles southwest from Madison. Population 100; with 26 dwellings, 4 stores, and 1 hotel. Its location and advantages are as favorable as any village in the West. Lead ore abounds in large quantities in its vicinity, and forms no inconsiderable item in the pursuit of its inhabitants.

White Oak Springs, Town, of same name in Lafayette County, on the State line.

Whitewater, Creek, rises in town of same name, Walworth County, and running northwest, enters Bark River, about 5 miles above Fort Atkinson, in Jefferson County.

Whitewater, P. V., is situated on sections 4 and 5, in town of same name, in the northwest corner of Walworth County; it derives its name from Whitewater creek which passes through it. It was settled about the year 1839. The village has a population of about 1,000, derived mostly from New York, New England and Ohio. There are four well finished churches, and the fifth the Catholic is erected and partly completed. The buildings are generally neat, and in good taste, and the grounds finely planted with trees and shrubbery, which contribute to give the place an attractive rural air. It is one of the pleasantest of our interior villages, and will continue to be a desirable place of residence. It is the principal point between Waukesha and Janesville, on the Milwaukee and Mississippi rail road, and is made the point of intersection of that road and the proposed Wisconsin Central rail road, for which a company has been recently chartered, and just organized. The construction of this road, which is confidently anticipated, would render Whitewater a very central location, on the junction of the main east and west, and north and south rail road lines of the State, and connect it, by direct communication with Chicago, at 90 miles distance. It has now a considerable business in the purchase of produce and the sale of lumber, induced by the rail road. It contains 2 grist mills, 1 saw mill, 1 iron foundry, 1 manufactory of pottery ware, and the usual variety of stores and mechanic shops, &c. The location of the village is on a soil of sandy loam, which secures dry streets and side-walks, and eligible building sites.

Whitewater, Town, in county of Walworth, being town 4 N., of range 15 E.; centrally located, 18 miles northwest from Elkhorn. Population in 1850 was 1,252.

Whitewater, Lakes, are 2 small lakes, forming the source of Greek of same name, in south part of town of same name.

Whitney's Mills, on the Wisconsin, in south part of Portage County.

Wigobimis, Lake, is in the northwest part of St. Croix County, discharging its waters through a river of same name into St. Croix River.

Wigobimis, River, is the outlet of Lake of same name, in St. Croix County.

Willet, P. O., in town of Adams, Green County.

Willlamstown, Town, in county of Dodge, being town 12 N., of range 16 E.; centrally located, 8 miles northeast from Juneau. It has 6 school districts.

Willow Creek, P. O., in Marquette County. Willow, Creek, rises in northeast corner of Richland County, and running southwest, enters Pine River, at Sextonville.

Willow, Creek, rises in town of Wautoma, Waushara County, and running east, enters the west end of Lake Pauwaicun.

Willow, Prairie, Waushara County, contains about 2,000 acres of land. It is in the centre of town 20 N., of range 8 E.

Willow River, P. O., St. Croix County. See Hudson.

Willow River, Town, (formerly Beuna Vista,) being town 29 and 30, and west half of town 28 BT., of range 19 W., in which is located the county seat of St. Croix County. It has 3 school districts. Name changed to Hudson in 1852.

Willow, River, rises in the eastern portion of St. Croix County, and runs southwest, entering Lake St. Croix, about 18 miles above the mouth of St. Croix River, into the Mississippi.

Willow Springs, P. O., in town of same name, Lafayette County.

Willow Springs, Town, Lafayette County.

Wilmot, P. V., in town of Salem, Kenosha County, being in town 1 N., of range 20 E.

Wilson, Town, in county of Sheboygan, being towns 1 3 and 14 N., of range 23 E.; centrally located, 6 miles south from Ozaukee. It has 5 school districts.

Winchester, Town, in county of Winnebago, being town 20 N., of range 15 E.; centrally located, 15 miles northwest from Oshkosh. It has 1 school district.

Wind, Lake, is in the northern part of the town of Norway, Racine County, and is 2 miles long and 1½ miles wide.

Windsor, P. V., on section 34, of town of same name, Dane County, in a good farming district, on Token Creek, 10 miles northeast from Madison, on road to Portage city.

Windsor, Town, in county of Dane, being town 9 N., of range 10 E.; centrally located, 12 miles northeast from Madison. It has 7 school districts.

Wingville, Town, in county of Grant, being town 6 N., of range 1 W.; centrally located, 15 miles northeast from Lancaster. It has 7 school districts.

Wingville, Village, Grant County. See Montfort P. O.

Winnebago, County, is bounded on the north by Outagamie, east by Calumet, (from which it is separated by Lake Winnebago), on the south by Fond du Lac, and on the west by Waushara and Marquette. It was set off from Fond du Lac and Brown Counties, January, 1843. It was organized for county purposes, (its judicial connection being with Fond du Lac,) Feb. 20, 1842, and was fully organized Feb. 8, 1847. The seat of justice has been established at Oshkosh, near the entrance of Fox River (Neenah,) into Lake Winnebago. The surface of the county is generally level or slightly undulating, and well diversified with openings, prairie, marsh, timber, and springs of pure cold water. The soil produces all kinds of grain, and is well adapted to grazing. The county is comparatively new, and its agricultural advantages have never been fully developed. It is believed, however, that it will be more distinguished for its dairying, the growing of stock, and its manufactures, than for the raising of grain. The principal streams are the Fox and "Wolf rivers. It is connected with the fourth judicial circuit, with the third congressional district, and constitutes the twenty first senate district, and is divided into two assembly districts, viz: 1st Towns 17 and 18, ranges 14, 15, 16 and 17. 2d. Towns 19 and 20, ranges 14, 15, 16 and 17. Population in 1840 was 135; in 1842, 148; in 1846, 732; in 1847, 2,748; in 1850, 10,167. County Officers for 1853 and 1854: Judge, Edwin Wheeler; Clerk of Court, E. E. Baldwin; Sheriff, Alex. F. David; Register, Edwin R. Rowley; Clerk of Board of Supervisors, J. H. Osborn; Treasurer, Jonathan Dougherty.

Winnebago, Island, at mouth of lake of same name. See Doty's Island.

Winnebago, Lake, is situated between the counties of Calumet and Winnebago, having its head in Fond du Lac. It is nearly 30 miles in length from north to south, and about 12 miles wide at the mouth of the Neenah, at Oshkosh. This lake forms a portion of the navigation of the Fox and Wisconsin River improvement, and is about 160 feet above the level of Lake Michigan, and 63 feet below the Wisconsin Portage. It is navigable its whole length for small steam boats, which ply regularly upon it during the summer season. It covers an area of about 90 square miles.

Winnebago, Marsh, Dodge County. See Horicon Lake.

Winnebago, Rapids, on Neenah River, at the outlet of Lake Winnebago, has a descent of 7½ feet in a distance of 7,700 feet.

Winnebago, Town, in county of Winnebago. Population in 1850 was 1,647. It has 4 school districts.

Winneconna, P. V., on east side of Wolf River, in town of same name, Winnebago County.

Winneconna, Town, in county of Winnebago, town 19 N. of range 15 E.; centrally located, 10 miles northwest from Oshkosh. Population in 1850 was 1948. It has 3 school districts.

Wiota, Town, in county of Lafayette.

Wisconsin River, is the most important in Wisconsin, rising in Lake Vieux Desert, on the northern boundary and extending completely across the State, in a southwesterly direction, enters the Mississippi, by its course, 90 miles from the line of Illinois. Its head waters are surrounded by extensive forests of pine timber, with plenty of waterfall for its economical manufacture into lumber, and a good channel and current to transport the same to market. It is navigable for steamboats to the Portage of the Fox River, 114 miles, from its mouth, and even above for small boats. The trade of the river in lumber and mineral (lead) is quite extensive, and gradually increasing, and at the completion of the Fox and Wisconsin Rivers Improvement, the trade in all branches of commerce will be great. The following account of this river was made by Marquette and Joliet, who descended it from the Portage in 1673: The river upon which we embarked is called Mescousin (Wisconsin); the river is very wide, but the sand bars make it very difficult to navigate, which is increased by numerous islands, covered with grape vines. The country through which it flows is beautiful; the groves are so dispersed in the prairies that it makes a noble prospect; and the fruit of the trees shows a fertile soil. These groves are full of walnut, oak, and other trees unknown to us in Europe. We saw neither game nor fish, but roebuck and buffaloes in great numbers. After having navigated 30 leagues, we discovered some iron mines; and one of our company, who had seen such mines before, said these were very rich in ore. They are covered with about three feet of soil, and situate near a chain of rocks, whose base is covered with fine timber. After having rowed ten leagues further, making forty leagues from the place we embarked, we came into the Mississippi, on the 17th June.

Wisconsin, State. See Introduction, page 4.

Wissakude, River, of Lake Superior, see Bois Brule or Burnt Wood River.

Wisconsin, Pinery, is all of that section of country, north of Dell Prairie, tributary to the "Wisconsin river, producing yearly 70,000,000 feet of pine lumber, beside shingles, timber, &c. The following statement shows the location of the several mills, the number of saws, and the amount of lumber manufactured annually by each, commencing at the lowest point on the river: - Dell Creek, 2 saws, 1,000,000 feet. Lemonwier, 5 saws, 2,700,000 feet- Yellow River, 7 saws, 3,700,000 feet. Pointe Bausse, 3 saws, 200,000 feet. - Grand Rapids, 15 saws, 8,000,000 feet.- Crooked Rift, 1 saw, 600,000 feet- Mill Creek, 5 saws, 2,400,000 feet.- Little Plover River, 1 saw, 600,000 feet. Conant Rapids, 3 saws, 2,000,000 feet- Big Plover River, 2 saws, 1,200,000 feet.- Stevens' Point, 5 saws, 3,000,000 feet. Little Aux Plaines, 2 saws, 2,400,000 feet - Little Eau Claire, 2 saws, 1,500,000 feet- Big Aux Plaines, 2 saws, 2,000,000 feet.- Little Bull Falls, 8 saws, 6,000,000 feet.- Junior Bull Falls, 1 saw, 600,000 feet- Big Eau Claire, 8 saws, 6,000,000 feet- Little Rib, 2 saws, 1,000,000 feet- Big Bull Falls, 22 saws, 19,000,000 feet- Trap, 2 saws, 900,000 feet- Pine River, 4 saws, 2,000,000 feet- Jenny Bull Falls, 4 saws, 4,000,000 feet.- Making a total of 105 saws, and 70,000,000 feet. This statement does not include lumber manufactured at several places below the Dells, the logs for which come from above that point.

Wisconsin, National History Association. This Society was organized at Madison, the capital of the State in 1852. Its object is to collect and procure in a Museum, the Fauna and Flora of the State, books, papers, and documents relating to the physical sciences, and the social, political, and natural history of the Great West. Soon after the organization of the Association a large and very valuable collection of specimens in natural history, prepared by Samuel Sercomb, Esq., who has resided 15 years in the West, collecting the same, was purchased. This, together with several valuable donations, has placed the Association upon a substantial basis. It is now constantly receiving additions by contributions, purchase, and exchange, and the catalogue embraces quadrupeds, birds, reptiles, fishes, molusca, crustacea, insects, geological and botanical specimens, Indian relics, curiosities of nature and art, books, papers, documents, &c. The circular of the Society solicits correspondence with the Secretary in relation to anything of interest that can be obtained, by exchange or otherwise, in different parts of this and other western States. The following are the Officers: President, Leonard J. Far-well; Secretary, William Dudley; Taxidermist, Samuel Sercomb.

Wisconsin, State Agricultural Society. This Society was organized on the fifth day of March, A. D. 1851, at a meeting of some of the leading agriculturists of the State, held at the Capitol, in Madison. At that meeting a constitution was adopted and officers chosen, consisting of a President, three Vice-Presidents, (one to be located in each congressional district), a Recording Secretary, a Corresponding Secretary, and a Treasurer, who, together with five additional members, chosen from the Society at large, constitute an Executive Committee, which forms the executive and administrative power of the Society. By a standing resolution of the Executive Committee, the President, Secretaries and Treasurer constitute a Standing Committee, with power in the recess of the Executive Committee to transact such minor business as may be necessary. The Standing Committee meets monthly, on the first Wednesday in each month, at the rooms of the Society, in the Capitol, at Madison, for the transaction of business. . The Executive Committee meets quarterly, or at the call of the Corresponding Secretary, at which meetings the proceedings of the Standing Committee are reviewed, for confirmation or otherwise. The Society meets annually, on the third Wednesday of January in each year. It possesses ample and commodious rooms in the Capitol, which are elegantly fitted up, and placed in charge of the Corresponding Secretary. The first) volume of the Society's Transactions was issued in the spring of 1852, and was a large and elegant volume, well stored with valuable reading, and showing evident marks of advancement in agri-cultural science and scientific investigation. The second volume is now in press, and will shortly be issued. The great and unparalleled success which has attended the labors of this Society may be traced almost entirely to the intelligent enterprise and active energy of the officers who have hitherto had the direction and management of its affairs. To their judicious management, wise counsels, and zealous labors so uniformly and freely bestowed, our State is, and must ever be, greatly indebted for that advancement which is now so rapidly taking place in our agricultural and industrial interests. In this respect the Society has been most fortunate. The first Annual Cattle Show and Fair of the Society was held at Janesville, in the month of October, 1851, and was a most brilliant exposition of the condition of the rural arts in Wisconsin. The show of cattle, sheep, horses, and swine, was such as to astonish and delight all; while the domestic manufactures, and the products of the dairy exhibited, gave ample proof of the skill and industry of the exhibitors nor were the treasures of Ceres and Pomona wanting to give variety to the scene, but all alike admirably blending, each in due proportion, gave promise of the future high rank which Wisconsin must attain, amid the peaceful walks of husbandry. The Show at Milwaukee, in the fall of 1852, amply sustained the proud position of the Society, and demonstrated the certainty of its success. The Fair for the present year is to be held at the city of Watertown, on the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th days of October next. Ample arrangements have been made for the accommodation of the immense throngs that will be in attendance, and no pains will be spared to make this, the most brilliant and successful of all the exhibitions of the Society. The Officers, for the current year, are as follows: President, Elisha W. Edgerton, Summit. Vice Presidents, Bertine Pinkney, Rosendale; Jeremiah E. Dodge, Potosi; and Nathaniel B. Clapp, Kenosha. Recording and also Corresponding Secretary, Albert C. Ingham, Madison. Treasurer, Simeon Mills, Madison. Additional Members of the Executive Committee: Hiram Barber, Juneau; Henry M. Billings, Highland; Martin Field, Mukwonago; Sam. S. Daggett, Milwaukee; and Mark Miller, Janesville. All communications for the Society should be addressed to the Corresponding Secretary at Madison, Wisconsin.

Wisconsin University. The buildings of this Institution are situated one mile west of the Capitol in Madison, on a beautiful eminence commanding an extensive view of the basin of the Four Lakes. The site comprises, within the enclosure, about 50 acres; on which, in accordance with the plan adopted by the Regents, it is proposed to erect five collegiate structures, namely: the main edifice, on the crown of the hill, at the head of a wide avenue leading through the grounds in the direction of the Capitol; and the four subordinate buildings, on a line, several rods in advance of the main edifice, two on either side of the avenue. The main edifice is intended to contain all the public rooms, the observatory, and two dwelling houses. The other buildings are to be divided into dormitories for the residence and accommodation of students. The first dormitory building, on the north side of the avenue, waft completed in the summer of 1851; and the Collegiate Department was opened in it on the third Wednesday of the same year. The corresponding building, on the south side of the avenue, is in process of erection, to be followed, next in order, by the construction of the main edifice. The organic law of the University provides for the establishment of the four Faculties, namely: of "Science, Literature and Arts;" of "Law;" of "Medicine;" and of the "Theory and Practice of Elementary Instruction." Of these, the former has been organized by the Regents, and the following chairs having been created by ordinance:
1. Of Ethics, Civil Polity, and Political Economy;
2. Of Mental Philosophy, Logic, Rhetoric, and English Literature.
3. Of Ancient Languages and Literature.
4. Of Modern Languages and Literature.
5. Of Mathematics, Natural Philosophy and Astronomy.
6. Of Chemistry and Natural History.
The Chair of Ethics, &c, is occupied by the Chancellor of the University, who, together, with the other Professors, and the requisite number of Tutors, will constitute the Faculty of Science, Literature, and Arts. The University was originally endowed by act of Congress, granting seventy-two sections of land to be selected by the State for that use. Under the appraisal of 1852, the capital fund derived from the sale of these lands, amounts to $170,000. They are now open to private entry, at the appraised value, in the office of the Commissioners of School and University Lands at Madison. They are selling off rapidly, and it is believed that the whole will be converted into a productive fund within a short period. The University of "Wisconsin, like the community whose institution it is, is still young. It has gone into operation with appointments amply sufficient to answer all present educational demands, while the condition of its finances justifies the confidence, that its increasing capabilities will keep pace with the future growth of the State, and make it an attractive gathering point for the scholars of the West.

Wissauna, Lake see Golden Lake, of Waukesha County.

Wishiconi, Lake, is a small body of water, in Marathon County, tributary to the Chippewa.

Wolf, Creek, a small tributary of the Peckatonnica, into which it empties at Gratiot, Lafayette County.

Wolf, River, (Pauwaicun,) east of the Wisconsin, and running south-east, unites with Neenah River just above Great Butte des Morts Lake, at which place it is much larger than the Neenah. It is navigable, for over 100 miles from its mouth, for small steamers, and furnishes the best pine lumber in the State.

Wolf River, Pinery, as it is called, is the extensive evergreen district on Wolf River and its tributaries, Rat, Pine, Little, Waupacca, Little Wolf, Embarass, and Shawana Rivers. Some of these are large streams, and afford excellent hydraulic power. The annual manufacture of lumber, besides shingles and timber, will be partially shown by the following list which contains nothing but the estimated amount of sawed lumber: Appleton, 2,000,000; Menasha and Neenah, 3,000,000; Oshkosh, 5 mills, 4,000,000; Algoma, 2 mills, 1,000,000; Butte des Morts, 2 mills, 1,000,000; Winneconna, 1 mill, 500,000; Little river, 1 mill, 500,000; Little Wolf, 4 mills, 5,000,000; Shawana, 2 mills, 1,000,000; Red river, 1 mill, 500,000; Clark's, 2 mills, 1,000,000; Fox river above mouth of Wolf, 6,000,000. Making a total of 25,500,000.

Worth, P. O., in Sheboygan County.

Wrightstown, Town, in Brown County.

Wyalusing, P. V., on section 1, town 5 N., of range 7 W., Grant County, 25 miles northwest from Lancaster, and about 100 miles west from Madison. It is beautifully situated on the Mississippi River, and has an excellent steam boat landing. The vicinity is well supplied with timber and water, and good hydraulic powers, and is well adapted to all the pursuits of agriculture. Population 80; with 2 stores and 1 hotel.

Wyooena, P. V., in town of same name, Columbia County, being on sections 21 and 22, town 12 N., of range 10 E.

Wyoming, P. O., in town of same name, Iowa County.

Wyoming, Town, in county of Iowa, being part of towns 7 and 8 N., of ranges 3 and 4. It has 4 school districts.

Yellow, Lake, is the source of a river of the same name, a small tributary of the St. Croix, in La Pointe County, from the south.

Yellow, River, rises in the south part of Portage County, and runs southerly, emptying into the Wisconsin River, in south-east corner of town 17 N., of range 4 E., Adams County.

Yellow, River and Lake, in La Pointe County. See Massawa River and Lake.

Yellow, River, Chippewa County, rises in Marathon County, and runs southwesterly into the Chippewa River, about 5 miles above the falls.

Yellow Stone, Creek, is a tributary from the northwest of Dodge's branch or east branch of the Peckatonnica River, into which it empties, in the town of Argyle, Lafayette County.

York, P. O., Dane County, on section 21, of town of same name. It has 1 store, 3 hotels, and is 22 miles northeast from Madison.

York, Town, in county of Dane, being town 9, of range 12 E.; centrally located, 19 miles northeast from Madison. It has 6 school districts.

York, Town, in county of Greene, being town 4 N., of range 6; centrally located, 16 miles northwest from Monroe. Population in 1850 was 191. It has 2 school districts.

Yorkville, P. O., town of York, Racine County, being in town 3 N., of range 21 E.

Yorkville, Town, in county of Racine, being town 3 N., of range 2i E.; centrally located, 10 miles west of Racine. Population in 1850 was 997. It has 10 school districts.

Young Hickory, P. V., in town of Jackson, Washington County, being in town 10 N., of range 20 E.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer,  By John Warren Hunt. Madison: Beriah Brown, Printer, 1853

Back to Wisconsin

 


AHGP

Back to AHGP

This web page was last updated.
Wednesday, 26-Feb-2014 18:43:24 EST

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.