Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

Wisconsin Gazetteer ~ K ~

Wisconsin Gazetteer, Containing the names, location, and advantages, of the Counties, Cities, Towns, Villages, Post Offices, and Settlements, together with a description of the Lakes, Water Courses, Prairies, and Public Localities, in the State of Wisconsin. Alphabetically arranged.

Notice. Names and descriptions prepared too late for their proper place, will be found in the Appendix.

Abbreviations
L, Lake Pr., Prairie
P.O. Post Office P. V. Post Village
R, River T, Town
V, Village
CH., Court House, or County Seat

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Kagine, Lake, La Pointe County, forms the head waters of the principal branch of the Mashkeg River.

Kangaroo, Lake, in town 30 N., of range 20, Door County, near shore of Lake Superior.

Kamanosa, River, of Lake Superior, see Poplar River.

Kaukauna, Town, in Outagamie County, being town 21 N., of range 18, and W. half of 19; centrally located, 6 miles from Grand Chute. It has 5 school districts.

Kaukauna, P. V., Outagamie County, on section 24 of town of same name. It is eight miles northeast from Appleton, and 115 northeast from Madison. It is situated at the present head of navigation on the Lower Fox, 20 miles above Green Bay. At Kaukauna (formerly Grand Kaukaulin) there is a descent in the river of 44 feet, which is being improved by a canal one mile in length, which is to be passed by four locks, and will probably be completed during the present season. This place has an abundance of water power, and is surrounded by good farming lands, both timbered and openings. Population 200; with 30 dwellings, 3 stores, 4 hotels, 1 saw mill, and a Baptist and Catholic Church.

Kaukaulin, Creek, a small tributary from the south of the Neenah River, which it enters at Grand Kaukalin.

Kayisiking, (or Shell) J River, is the outlet of Shell Lake, in south part of La Pointe County.

Kayongwa-sogoka, River, a tributary from the east of Bad River, in La Pointe County.

Kendall, Town, in Lafayette County, 12 miles north from Shullsburg.

Keningamore, Lake, a small lake in the northeastern part of the town of Rochester, Racine County.

Kenosha, County, is bounded on the north by Racine, east by Lake Michigan, south by the State of Illinois, and west by Walworth and a portion of Racine. The county seat is at Kenosha, formerly known as Southport, on the lake shore, about midway between the northern and southern extremity of the county. It was set off from Racine and fully organized, 30th January, 1850. The eastern portion of the county is mostly prairie, with occasional groves of timber. In the northeast part is a large tract of heavy timber. The western portion is mostly openings. The soil is productive in the highest degree, and well adapted to the growing of all the crops of the climate, and the raising of stock. It has the best of market facilities, Kenosha close at hand, and Milwaukee and Chicago easy of access. It has a healthy climate, and is settled by an intelligent and enterprising class of farmers. The principal streams are the Fox, (Pishtaka,) the Aux Raines and Pike creeks. Population 10,734; 927 farms, and 1,812 dwellings. This county belongs to the first congressional district, the first judicial circuit, and forms the eighth senate district, sending two members to the assembly as follows:
1. City of Kenosha and towns of Southport, Somers, and Pleasant Prairie;
2. Towns of Paris, Bristol, Brighton, Salem and Wheatland.
County Officers for 1853 and 1854: County Judge, Hon. Isaac N. Stoddard; 2. Sheriff, Patrick Cosgrave; Clerk of Court, Oscar F. Dana; Register of Deeds, Samuel T. Brande; County Treasurer, Michael Frank; District Attorney, Isaac W. Webster; County Surveyor, M. Howl and; Clerk of Board of Supervisors, K. H. Deming; Coroner, Philip Carey.

Kenosha, City, is situated upon Lake Michigan, 55 miles north from Chicago, and 35 miles south from Milwaukee, and is distant from Madison 104 miles. It is the most southern port on Lake Michigan in the State. When the resources of the county are fully developed, when capital finds its account in making necessary improvements, this place is destined to be a city of wealth, business and importance. The country which surrounds it is eminently productive, and its surface is agreeably diversified and beautiful. The city itself presents a great diversity of soil and surface, and is generally estimated on this account to occupy a more favorable position, than those places which have a uniform level surface, and a perfect uniformity of soil. There is no considerable stream emptying itself into the lake at this place; but the harbor is mainly formed by a small bay, which extends in a circular form for about one mile, where it again intersects the lake, forming an island, and making two outlets from the bay into the lake, thus creating, in the opinion of many, when it shall have been properly improved, one of the most convenient and picturesque harbors upon the whole chain of lakes. In the spring of 1835, a company was formed in western New York, whose object was to effect a settlement at some favorable point in the West, and Hon. John Bullen, now resident here, was selected as the agent of the company, to proceed to the West and select a location. He arrived at this place, then uninhabited, and also far distant from any settlement, on 12th June, 1835, and from that time became a permanent resident of the place. The first building, a log one, was erected in the month of July following. The company which he represented having, in part, soon after arrived, the place immediately assumed an appearance of activity. The growth of the place has been greatly retarded for want of sufficient appropriation from Congress for the construction of a harbor and piers; the harbor still remains in an unfinished state, though its improvement is slowly but steadily advancing. The first bridge pier ever erected on Lake Michigan was built here by Benjamin P. Cahoon, since which time two others have been built out into the lake by private enterprise. These, in absence of better facilities, answer in a manner, though, it must be acknowledged, not in an entirely satisfactory manner, the wants of business and the demands of commerce. In addition to private schools and academies, there are two large public schools. The building in the first ward accommodates 700 scholars, and the one in the second ward about 300, and both have a corps of well accomplished instructors. There are three public papers printed, Whig, democrat and free soil. What are termed Artesian wells have been sunk with manifest success and advantage, by boring from 135 to 180 feet a vein of water is struck, which overflows the surface, famishing an unfailing supply of the purest of water. A plank road has been built to Fox River, distance 20 miles, and will ultimately be constructed to Beloit. There is a charter for a railroad to terminate at the same point. City Officers: Mayor, Charles C. Sholes; Clerk, J. Murray; Treasurer, Daniel M. Clarkson; Marshal, Richard B. Winsor; Justices, J. Mansfield, O. Colwell, F. J. Whitlock.

Koro, P. O., in Winnebago County.

Keshaynic, River, see Grand River.

Kewaskum, Town, (formerly North Bend,) in county of Washington, being the north two-thirds of town 9, range 19 E.; centrally located, 20 miles northwest from Ozaukee. The population in 1850 was 672. It has 6 school districts.

Kewaunee, County, is bounded on the north by Door County, on the east by the state line in Lake Michigan, on the south by Manitowoc, and on the west by Brown, and contains about thirteen townships of land. It was set off from Door, April 16, 1852, and is attached to Manitowoc for judicial purposes. The streams are Kewaunee and Bed rivers, Benton's, Martin's, Ashnepee and Thorn-apple creeks. It is attached to the second senatorial and third congressional districts and with Brown and Door, sends one member to the assembly. The county having been so recently established has not as yet reached to much dignity as a county.

Kewaunee, Town in county of Kewaunee, embracing the whole county.

Kewaunee, River, in county of same name, rises in the eastern portion of Brown county and running southeast, enters Lake Michigan, in town 23 N., of range 25 W. It is about 30 miles long, and is navigable for 5 or 6 miles from the lake.

Kewawiye, Lake, on the line between Chippawa and La Pointe County.

Keyes Lake, see Rock Lake.

Keyes' Creeks is the outlet of Rock Lake, in the towns of Lake Mills, Aztalan and Milford, in Jefferson County.

Kickapoo, River, rises in Bad Ax County, and runs south, nearly-parallel with the Mississippi, in town 7 N., of range 4 E., in Crawford County.

Kilber, River, a small stream entering the Mississippi, in the western part of Oassville, Grant county.

Kilbourn, Diggings, mining point in town 1, range 1 W.

Kilbourntown, see Milwaukee city.

Killdare, Town, in county of Sauk.

Killmake, Creek, a small tributary of the north branch of Manitowoc River, in town 19 N., of range 20, Calumet County.

Kinedo, Lake, see Tomahawk Lake.

Kingston, P. V., in town of Kingston, Marquette County, being on section 13, in town 14 N., of range 11, 14 miles from Montello.

Kingston, Town, in county of Marquette. It has 5 school districts.

Kinnikinnick, Town, in county of St. Croix, being towns 27 and 28 N., of south half of town 17; southeast from Willow River. It has 1 school district.

Kinnikinnick, River, rises in the centre of St. Croix County, and runs southwest, entering St Croix river about six miles from its mouth.

Kino, Lake, a crescent shaped lake, in Red Cedar River, below Lake Mukwa.

Kinonje, Lake, on outlet of Lake Meminis, on the head waters of St. Croix.

Knapp's, Creek, rises in town 11, meridian, and running south, near the line between Richland and Crawford Counties, falls into the Wisconsin River.

Knapp & Black's Mills, on Bed Cedar River, in Chippewa County.

Koshkonong, Town, in county of Jefferson, being town 5 N., of range 13 and 14 E.; centrally located, 10 miles southwest from Jefferson. The population in 1850 was 1,512. It has 9 school districts.

Koshkonong, Lake, is an enlargement of Rock River, in southwest corner of Jefferson County. It is about 8 miles long and nearly three miles wide.

Koshkonong, Prairie, is in south part of Deerfield, Dane County.

Kossuth, Town, in county of Fond du Lac, being town 16 N., of range 19 E.; centrally located, 10 miles northeast from Fond du Lac city. It forms a part of the old town of Calumet

Kossuth, P. O., in the county of Racine.

Kossuth, Town, in county of Winnebago.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer,  By John Warren Hunt. Madison: Beriah Brown, Printer, 1853

Back to Wisconsin

 


AHGP

Back to AHGP

This web page was last updated.
Wednesday, 26-Feb-2014 18:43:21 EST

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.