Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

Wisconsin Gazetteer ~ S ~

Wisconsin Gazetteer, Containing the names, location, and advantages, of the Counties, Cities, Towns, Villages, Post Offices, and Settlements, together with a description of the Lakes, Water Courses, Prairies, and Public Localities, in the State of Wisconsin. Alphabetically arranged.

Notice. Names and descriptions prepared too late for their proper place, will be found in the Appendix.

Abbreviations
L, Lake Pr., Prairie
P.O. Post Office P. V. Post Village
R, River T, Town
V, Village
CH., Court House, or County Seat

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Sacramento, P. V. & C. H., on section 35, town 18, of range 13 E., Waushara County, on south side of Fox River, being in south-east corner of the county. It has a healthy and pleasant location in the openings, on an inclined plane, above the banks of the river, and is the only river town in the county. It was laid out in 1851, by Thomas J. Townsend, Esq., since which time it has increased very rapidly. It is surrounded by a country of excellent farming lands. Population 250, with 40 dwellings, 3 stores, 3 hotels, a warehouse, timber yard, &c. It commands the river trade of a large section of country.

Salem, P. O., in town of same name, in the county of Kenosha.

Salem, Town, in county of Kenosha, being town 1 N., of range 20 E.; centrally located, 16 miles west from the city of Kenosha. Population in 1850 was 1,123. It has 8 school districts.

Salt, Licks, at the southern bend of Mullet River, in Sheboygan County.

Sandy, Creek, a small stream rising near Patch Grove, Grant County, running southwesterly into the Mississippi.

Sand, Creek, in La Pointe County, see Foul River.

Sand Prairie, P. O., in county of Richland, being in town 9 N., of range 2 W., town of Richwood.

Sandy Portage, at a rapid of the Menomonee River, with a perpendicular fall, about a mile in extent.

Sandy, River, a tributary of Lake Superior, 6 miles west of Raspberry River, and 3 miles east of La R. Gauche.

Saraboo, a branch from the southwest of Kewaunee River, near which it enters in town 24 N., of range 24 E.

Sappah, River, see Black River.

Sauk, County, is bounded on the north by Adams, on the east by Columbia, on the south by Iowa and Dane, and on the west by La Crosse, Bad Ax, and Richland. It was set off from Crawford in 1839; established, and annexed to Dane for judicial purposes, January, 1840, and fully organized in 1844. The boundaries were changed March 6, 1849, and further changed 1853. The seat of justice is at Baraboo, on river of the same name, a few miles southeast from the centre of the county. It is connected with the third judicial circuit, the second congressional, and the twenty-third senate district, and, with Adams, sends one member to the assembly. The number of square miles is about 800. The soil, in every part where cultivation has been attempted, produces well, and seems peculiarly congenial to wheat. The timber, except on the Baraboo Bluffs, is oak in its different varieties. There is an almost inexhaustible body of heavy timber, consisting of sugar maple, elm, basswood, iron wood, hickory, butternut, oak, cherry, &c. The surface of the country is generally undulating, in some places level, in others hilly, presenting, perhaps, as great a variety as any county in the State. Its leading geological formation is old red sand stone. On the higher points there are occasionally found the remains of the carboniferous lime stone, so abundant in the northwest The Baraboo Bluffs are sometimes considered as a formation peculiar to themselves; but as geologists do not seem to agree as to what they are, the opinion is ventured that they belong to the same class as the prevailing strata, but that by the action of some powerful agency of a vitrifying or igneous nature, their density has been increased, and their general appearance somewhat changed. They are harder, finer grained, and often much more highly colored, than the common sand stone. Large masses of conglomerate are often found among them, especially on the higher portions. These masses are composed of sand and smooth round stones of almost all sizes, from that of a pin head to several feet in diameter. In the diluvia deposits, along the banks of the river, are found masses of conglomerate in a transition state, a part firmly consolidated, a part only slightly so. No trace of fossil remains have yet been discovered, except in the carboniferous lime stone. There are no mines in the county worked at present with any degree of profit, though there are strong indications of copper, and a considerable quantity (five tons) was once dug on Copper Greek, near Reedsburg. Small fragments, weighing from an ounce to several pounds, are often found in different parts of the county, and there is at least a possibility that extensive mines may yet be found. A beautiful article of purple freestone occurs on the Baraboo bluffs, and a good quality of marble near the southwest part of the county, though neither yet has been much explored. The principal streams are the Wisconsin and Baraboo rivers, Honey, Dell and Narrows creeks. The Wisconsin River has as yet only been used for the purpose of navigation, though at present attention is being called to the construction of a dam across it at the Dells. Dell creek is a good sized stream for mill purposes; is about 15 miles long, and remarkable for the deep gulches through which it runs. There are several interesting caves in the sand stone rock in the vicinity of this stream. Narrows Creek is about twelve miles long, and affords several good mill sites. There is one mill in operation on the stream, and at its mouth is laid out the town of Excelsior. Honey Creek is about 25 miles in length, together with the rapidity of its current, renders it peculiarly serviceable as a water power. Several mills are already in operation upon the stream, and others are in process of erection. The Baraboo River, however, is the most important stream as a water power in the county, if not in the State. It is some 80 miles in length. There are already seven dams across it, each propelling from 1 to 3 mills. The rapids of this river at Baraboo are about two miles in length. The bed of the stream is rock; the amount of water is about 4,500 inches; the amount of fall, 50 feet. There are already in operation, along these rapids, 4 saw mills, running 5 saws; 1 flouring mill with 2 run of stone; another, with 2 runs, was burned in the fall of 1852); 4 lath and picket factories, 1 carding machine, 1 iron foundry, 1 machine shop, 1 bark mill, and several turning lathes, and but a small portion of water is used. Other machinery is in process of erection along the stream, and many good mill sites yet lie untouched.

Devil Lake is, perhaps, the only lake in the county worthy of notice. It occupies about a square mile, is situated a little over two miles south of the foot of the Baraboo rapids, and about three miles from Baraboo village. On the east, south and west of the lake, the rough, rocky banks rise from the edge of the water, almost perpendicularly, to the height of 150 or 200 feet. The smooth crystal water, and the steep, craggy rocks, presenting the most perfect contrast. On the north, the land gradually rises for a short distance, and then as gradually slopes away to the Baraboo River. Although several attempts have been made, the depth of the lake has never been fathomed. The purity and beauty of this body of water, together with its surrounding romantic scenery, never fail to excite the admiration of all who visit it. Of the Prairies, Sauk Prairie is much the largest. It is about 16 square miles in area. It is bounded on the north by the Baraboo bluffs, a chain of high steep bluffs also extend along its western side, and on the south and east is the "Wisconsin river. Its surface is undulating, soil good, and a considerable portion is cultivated. It is based (as we suppose all genuine prairies must be upon a diluvia strata. There are several other smaller prairies in the county, from one to five miles in extent, but as there is such a great uniformity, it is unnecessary to go into detail. The following is a pretty accurate detail of the hotels, stores, manufactories, &c, in the county: 13 taverns, 22 stores, 5 groceries, 4 drug stores, 7 tailors, 3 distilleries, 1 brewery, 2 steam saw mills, 4 grist mills, 1 foundry, 1 furniture, 1 machine, 9 shoe, 15 "blacksmiths, 6 wagon, 4 coopers, 5 timers, and 3 jewelers shops, 1 carding machine, 6 lath and picket factories, 1 pottery, and I tannery; 302 farms, 7 manufactories, and 821 dwellings; 4 district school houses, 3 select schools, and 3 churches. Population in 1840 was 102; 1842, 393; 1846, 1,003; 1847, 9,178; 1850, 4,372. County Officers: Judge, J. M. Clark; Sheriff, Daniel Munsen; Clerk of Court, George Mertons; District Attorney, J. B. Quinley; Register, Edwin P. Spencer; Clerk of Board of Supervisors, James T. Moseley; County Treasurer, Curtis Bates; County Surveyor, Wm. H. Canfield; Coroner, Royal Gendall.

Sauk, Creek, is a tributary of Lake Michigan, which it enters at Ozaukee. It rises in south part of Sheboygan County.

Saukville, P. V., in town of same name, county of Washington, being town 11 N., of range 21 E.; located 4 miles west from Ozaukee.

Saukville, Town, in county of Washington, being town 11 N., of range 21 E.; 6 miles west from Ozaukee. It has 8 school districts, and possesses an excellent improved water power. Population in 1850 was 1,796.

Scarboro, Creek, rises near the source of Twin Rivers, and runs northeast, entering Kewaunee River in northwest corner of town 24 N., of range 24.

Schleisingerville, P. V., in town of Polk, on section 18, in Washington county, 25 miles west from Ozaukee, and easterly from Madison 80 miles. It derives its name in honor of Hon. B. Schleisinger Weil, State senator from the fourth district, whose residence is near this place, and who laid it out in 1845. Population, 125; with 25 dwellings, 3 stores, 3 hotels, 1 mechanical shop, 1 tannery, and 1 church edifice. It is on the Milwaukee and Fond du Lac road, possessing a healthy-climate and good soil of farming lands.

Scott, P. V., in county of Sheboygan, being in town 13 N., (Scott), of range 20 E.

Scott, Town, in county of Sheboygan, being town 13 N., of range 20 E.; centrally located, 22 miles southwest from Sheboygan.

Scott, Town, in county of Columbia, being town 12 N., of range 11 E.; centrally located, 12 miles from Portage city. Population in 1850 was 395. It has 4 school districts.

Scupernong, Creek, rises in the south part of the town of Delafield, and running southwest, (affording a mill site at Waterville and one in Ottawa), through Summit and Ottawa, enters Bark River in Cold Spring, Jefferson County.

Seargent, P. O., is in the southeast part of town of Oasis, Waushara County, being town 20 N., of range 9 E.; 30 miles north-west from Sacramento, and 80 miles north from Madison, on the stage route from Berlin to Stevens' Point.

Second Lake, the second from below of the chain of Four Lakes, in the towns of Blooming Grove and Dunn, 6 miles southeast from Madison. It is 2 miles wide and 3½ long.

Seeley's, Creek, rises in the southwest corner of town 11, range 7 E., runs northeast, emptying into the Baraboo River, by its course, about 10 miles above the village of Baraboo.

Seven Mile Creek, P. O., in town of Lemonweir, Sauk County.

Sextonville, P. V., on section 7, town 9, of range 2 E., in Richland County, 5 miles above Richland city, on Pine creek, at the month of Willow creek. It is 56 miles west from Madison. Population 130, with 21 dwellings, 2 stores, 1 hotel, 2 mills, and 2 excellent water powers.

Shagwamigon, Bay, (Chegoimegon and Chagwamigon), south of the Twelve Apostle Islands, in La Pointe County, Lake Superior.

Shagwamigon, River, empties into bay of the same name, in La Pointe County, 6 miles west from Bad River.

Shakweya, River, (or New Wood), enters the Wisconsin from the west at Lynch's Trading House, 4 miles below Grand Father Bull Falls.

Sharon, P. V., on section 13, in town of same name, Walworth County, 12 miles southwest from Elkhorn, and 60 miles south-east from Madison, in a fine fanning country. Population, 110; with 15 dwellings, 1 store, 1 hotel, and 1 Catholic Church.

Sharon, Town, in county of Walworth, being town 1 N., of range 15 E.; centrally located, 13 miles southwest from Elkhorn. Population in 1850 was 1,169. It has 10 school districts.

Shawana, County, was established at the January session of the legislature in 1853, most of its limits were taken from Oconto. The seat of justice is at Shawana village, near the outlet of the lake of same name.

Shawana, Lake, in town 27 N., of ranges 16 and 17; is about 6 miles long and 2 in width, discharging its waters through an outlet into Wolf River.

Shawana, P. O., near lake of same name, in Shawana County.

Sheboygan, County, is bounded on the north by Calumet and Manitowoc, on the east by the State line in Lake Michigan, on the south by Washington, and on the west by Fond du Lac. It was set off from Brown Dec. 7, 1836; organized for county purposes Dec. 17, 1838; and attached to Fond du Lac for judicial purposes; and fully organized January 22, 1846. The whole surface of the county is covered by a dense growth of timber, among which pine is found in considerable quantities along the margin of the principal streams. The seat of justice is at the village of Sheboygan, on the lake, centrally from the north and south boundaries of the county. It is watered by the Sheboygan River and its tributaries. It is connected with the fourth judicial circuit, the third congressional and the first senate districts, and sends two members to the assembly as follows:
1st. Towns of Sheboygan, Wilson, Lima and Holland;
2d. Towns of Sheboygan Falls, Harmony, Rhine, Plymouth, Greenbush, Abbott, Mitchell, Scott and Lynden.

Population in 1840 was 133; 1842, 227; 1846, 4637; 1847, 5,580; 1850, 8,836. There are 1,790 dwellings, 581 farms, and 30 manufactories. County Officers for 1853 and 1854: Judge, Chas. E. Morris; Sheriff, J. D. Murphy; Clerk of County Court, A. H. Edwards; District Attorney, Edward Elwell; Register, Charles Adolphi; Clerk of Board of Supervisors, J. T. Kingsbury; Treasurer, Geo. H. Wordan; County Surveyor, Horace Cleves.

Sheboygan, Town, in county of same name, being towns 15 and 16 N., of range 23 E. It has 7 school districts.

Sheboygan, P. V., the county seat of county of same name, is situated on the lake shore, near the middle of the county, and at the mouth of Sheboygan River, a stream about 400 feet wide, and from 12 to 15 feet deep. The town plat is a dry, level and sandy plain, about 40 feet above the level of Lake Michigan. In 1846 this village contained about 400 inhabitants, and had no churches, newspapers, or roads. At present it has a population of 2,000; 7 good churches, viz. Episcopal, Baptist, Presbyterian, Congregational, Methodist, German reformed and Roman Catholic, and 4 weekly newspapers, viz., Mercury, Lake Journal, Republicaner, and The Niewsbode. During the past year the county has raised $20,000, and the General Government has appropriated $10,000 for the purpose of constructing a harbor at the mouth of the river. The work was commenced last spring, and has been vigorously prosecuted during the summer and fall. It will be finished during the coming season, which will give Sheboygan the best and most accessible harbor on the lake. One of the best plank roads in the State runs from this place to Taycheda, a thriving village on Lake Winnebago. There are four stage and mail routes running from here: one north, to Manitowoc and Two Rivers; one west, to Fond du Lac, Menasha, and Green Bay; one southwest, to Cascade, Mayville, &c.; and one south, to Milwaukee and Chicago.

Sheboygan, Falls, is 6 miles above the mouth of Sheboygan River, in county of same name, at the crossing of the U. S. road.

Sheboygan Falls, P. V., on section 36, town 15 N., of range 22 E., in town of same name, and county of Sheboygan, 6 miles from the county seat, 115 miles from Madison via Fond du Lac, and 150 miles from the same place via Milwaukee. The village was first settled 15 years ago, a saw mill erected, and one or two buildings. The plat was laid out and named Rochester. The real commencement of creating a village was made seven years ago, and since, its growth has been constant. The soil in the vicinity is well adapted to the growth of wheat and other kinds of grain. It is located on both sides of the river, which has a fall of 30 or 40 feet in half a mile. A bed of lime stone underlies the whole village a few feet below the surface. Lime made from it is of the finest quality. Large quantities of pine and oak timber are cut along the banks of the river during winter. The Sheboygan and Mayville plank road will pass through the village, and the Sheboygan and Fond du Lac plank road passes through the north part of it. Population 800, with 200 dwellings, 12 stores, 4 hotels, 2 grist mills, 1 foundry, 2 turning lathes, 2 cabinet shops, 1 printing office, and 3 churches.

Sheboygan Falls, Town, in county of Sheboygan, being towns 14 and 15 N., of range 22 E. It has 9 school districts.

Sheboygan, River, rises in Fond du Lac County, near the southern extremity of Lake Winnebago, and turns southeasterly, emptying into Lake Michigan at the village of Sheboygan. It drains about 400 square miles of surface.

Sheboygan, Lake, a small lake in town of Rhine, Sheboygan County.

Shell, Lake, see Pewaukee Lake.

Shell, River, see Kayesikang River.

Shields, Town, in county of Marquette, being town 16 N., of range 16 E.

Shields, Town, in county of Dodge, being town 9 N., of range 14 E.; centrally located, 14 miles southwest from Juneau. Population in 1850 was 590. It has 6 school districts.

Shopiere, P. V., in county of Rock, in town of Turtle, being on section 3, town 1 N, of range 13 E. It is 9 miles southeast from Janesville, and 54 from Madison, on the Turtle creek, which gives a water power here of 9 feet head and fall, and is a very reliable stream for supply of water. The flouring mill is of stone, 4 stories high, running three pairs of burrs and is completely finished throughout. From the north side of the Turtle stretches Rock Prairie; on the south side commences a timbered tract, extending some 7 miles. Abundance of excellent lime stone for building purposes is found in the vicinity, which suggested the name a corruption of the French Chaux (Sho) Pierre. Turtleville flouring mill is one mile below, on the same stream. Population 200, with 38 dwellings, 3 stores, 1 hotel, 2 mills, 1 plough manufactory, 1 congregational church.

Shullsburg, P. V., and county seat of Lafayette County, in town 1 N., of range 2 E., head waters of an eastern branch of Fevre River. It is 16 miles from Galena, and 75 southwest from Madison. The business and trade of a large portion of country is concentrated at this place, where an excellent and ready market is found for mineral and all of the products of industry, which is paid for in gold and silver coin, bank bill and coppers having long since been repudiated in the lead mines. It contains 2,500 inhabitants, with 5 hotels, 12 dry good and grocery, 1 drug, 1 jewelry, and 1 tin and iron stores; 2 wagon, 5 smiths, 2 cabinet, 4 tailors, 4 shoe, 2 saddle and harness, 6 carpenter, and 1 gunsmith shops; 4 mineral warehouses, 4 church edifices, 1 Primitive Methodist, 1 P. E. Methodist, 1 Catholic and 1 Congregational, the latter of which is built of stone. The court house is built of brick, 44 by 60 feet, with offices for county purposes, and the jail of stone.

Shullsburg, Town, in the county of Lafayette, being a part of town 1, of ranges 2 and 3 E., in which is located the seat of justice of the county. There are 2 furnaces for smelting lead ore in this town. Shullsburg is noted for its inexhaustible mines of lead ore which have been worked for many years, and are the most productive in the mineral district. The Southern Wisconsin rail road is located through the entire length of the town from east to west. The population of the town is 3,500.

Shunakee, Lake, see North Lake, Waukesha County.

Silver, Creek, has its source in English Lake, in Manitowoc County and running easterly, enters Lake Michigan about 10 miles south of Manitowoc.

Silver, Creek, rises in town of Metomon, Fond du Lac County and runs northwest into Green Lake, Marquette County.

Silver, Lake, in town of Salem, Kenosha County, discharges it waters through a small stream into Fox River, near Salem P. O. It is about a mile in diameter.

Silver, Lake, is nearly in the center of town of Summit, Waukesha County. It is a mile in length.

Silver, Lake, a small lake in eastern part of town of Sugar Creek,

Sinsinawa, Creek, rises in Smeltzer, Grant County, and runs southerly, discharging its waters into La Fevre River, in Illinois.

Sinsinawa, Mound, is a conical elevation, one mile south of the village of Fair Play, Grant County.

Sioux Portage, Creek, in Portage County, is the inlet of Yellow Lake.

Sisooe, River, rises in town of Clayton, Winnebago County, and runs southwest into Wolf River, at the head of Lake Pauwaicun.

Sketch, Lake, the largest of the lakes forming one of the sources of Red Cedar River.

Skillet, Creek, a tributary from the south of Baraboo River, which it enters about 3 miles above Baraboo village.

Skinner's Creek, in Green County, a branch of the Peckatonnica, which it enters in the town of Cadiz.

Slawson's Prairie, in Dodge County, east of Beaver Dam.

Sleeping Bear, River, (Nibegomowin), a tributary from the west of Burnt Wood River.

Smeltzer's Grove, P. O., in town of Smeltzer, being town 2 N, of range 7 W., in Grant County.

Smeltzer, Town, in county of Grant, being town 2 N, of range 1; centrally located, 18 miles southeast from Lancaster. It has 5 school districts.

Snail, Lake, or Shell Lake, see Pewaukee Lake.

Somers, Town, (formerly Pike), in county of Kenosha, being town 2 N., of range 22 E.; centrally located, 5 miles southwest from Kenosha city. Population in 1850 was 680. It has 7 school districts.

Soochera, River, see Fond Du Lac River.

South Bristol, P. O., in Racine County.

South Genesee, P. V., in town of Genesee, Waukesha County, being town 6 N., of range 18 E.

South Grove, P. V., in town of Walworth, Walworth County, being town 1 N., of range 16 E.

South Fork of Black River, from the east, entering the same in town 23 N., of range 3 W.

South Fork, a tributary of Baraboo River, in Bad Ax County.

Southport, Town, in county of Kenosha, being fractional towns 1 and 2 N., of range 23 E., on Lake Michigan. Population in 1850 was 363. It has 7 school districts.

Spafford's Creek, a small tributary of the Peckatonnica.

Spencer, River, a small stream in La Pointe County, entering Lake Superior.

Spring, Creek, a branch of Ockee creek in Lodi, Columbia County.

Springdale, P. O., in town of same name, Dane County, being town 6 N., of range 7 E.

Springdale, Town, in county of Dane, being town 6 N., of range 7 E.; centrally located, 14 miles southwest from Madison.

Springfield, Town, in county of Dane, being town 8 N., of range 8 E.; centrally located, 10 miles northwest from Madison. It has 6 school districts.

Spring Grove, P.O., in town of same name, Green County, being town 1 N., of range 9 E.

Spring Green, Town, in county of Sauk, being all of the ranges of town 8 in said county; centrally located, southwest from Baraboo. It has 14 school districts.

Spring Grove, Town, in county of Greene, being town 1 N, of range 9. Population in 1850 was 703. It has 7 school districts.

Spring, Lake, is a small lake in town of Marion, Waushara County, tributary to the Neenah.

Spring, Lake, in town of Green Lake, Marquette County, with its outlet, forms one of the inlets of Green Lake.

Spring, Lake, is a small lake in the north part of Mukwonago, Waukesha County.

Spring, Prairie, town in county of Walworth, being town 3 N., of range 18 E.; centrally located, 6 miles from Elkhorn. Population in 1850 was 1,344. It has 8 school districts.

Spring, Prairie, P. V., in town of same name, on section 30, Walworth County, 7½ miles east from Elkhorn, 70 miles south-east from Madison. Population 200; with 20 dwellings, 3 stores, 1 hotel 9 and one Baptist church.

Springvale, P.O., in Fond du Lac County.

Springvale, Town, in county of Columbia, being town 12 N., of range 11 E.; centrally located, 12 miles southeast from Portage city. Population in 1850 was 471. It has 4 school districts.

Springvale, Town, in county of Fond du Lac, being town 15 N., of range 15 E.; centrally located, 12 miles southwest from Fond du Lac. Population in 1850 was 588. It has 8 school districts.

Spring Valley, P. O., in town of same name, Bock County, town 2 K, of range 10 E.

Spring Valley, Town, in county of Rock, being town 2 N., of range 10 E.; centrally located, 15 miles southwest from Janesville. Population in 1850 was 766. It has 7 school districts.

Springville, P.O., in Bad Ax County, on section 23, town 13 N. of range 5 W.

Squaw Portage, River, in La Pointe County, running nearly parallel to Namekagon River, entering the same a few miles above the junction with the St. Croix.

Squirrel, River, a tributary from the west of the little Wisconsin.

State Line, P. O., in town of Sharon Walworth County, being in town 1 N., of range 15 E.

St. Croix, County, is bounded on the north by La Pointe, on the east and south by Chippewa, on the southwest and west by the boundary between the State and Minnesota. The county seat is at Hudson, formerly Willow River, at the mouth of a stream of the same name, emptying into Lake St. Croix. It. was set off from Crawford, and organized January 29, 1850, was attached to Crawford for judicial purposes April 10, 1843 and again fully organized February 26, 1848 the boundaries were somewhat changed March 16, 1849. It is attached ta the third congressional district, to the sixth judicial circuit and to the nineteenth senate district, and, with La Pointe, sends one member to the assembly. It is one of the largest counties in the State, being 130 miles in length, and 50 in width; presents to the agriculturist, in fertility of soil, well watered and well wooded farms, in the means of access ta market through Lake St. Croix and the Mississippi, and in the perfect healthiness and salubrity of climate, advantages which are to be found combined in but few places in the West. The surface is generally undulating north of the Falls, of St. Croix. It is mostly timbered with maple and other-hard woods, while south of the Falls is a due proportion of prairie and openings. But little attention has yet been paid to the pursuits of agriculture and the manufactories are confined for the present to pine lumber. It is, well watered with fine streams and beautiful lakes. The principal streams are Willow, Kinnikinnick, Vermillion, Isabelle, and Rush River. Population in 1846 was 1,419; in 1847, 1,674; in 1850, 624, with 181 dwellings, 4 farms, and 2 manufactories. In 184d the census returns included all of the present Territory of Minnesota, east of the Wisconsin River, also the present county of La Pointe. In 1847 it included the same, excepting the county of La Pointe. This is the reason why there appears to be a decrease in the population from 1847 to 1850, County Officers: Judge, S. S. N. Fuller; Sheriff, A. S. Youle; Clerk of Court, Joseph Bowman; District Attorney, Benjamin Allen; Register, William It. Anderson; Clerk of Board of Supervisors, Charles R. Knight; Treasurer, James M. Bailey; Surveyor, William R. Anderson; Coroner, Jonathan. Bailey. (See Peirce and Polk Counties.)

St. Croix, Lake, is an expansion of the river of same name, commencing 12½ miles above its mouth, and extending to within a few rods of the Mississippi, and is about a mile broad.

St. Croix, Pinery. The amount of sawed pine lumber manufactured at mills on the Wisconsin side of St. Croix River, annually, is about 20,000,000 feet, besides shingles, logs, hewed timber and lath, to wit.: Prescott Mills, 3,500,000; Kinnikinnick, 1,500,000; Rush River, 2,000,000; Hudson, 2,000,000; Willow River, 4,000,000; Osceola, 3,000,000; Falls of St Croix, 4,000,000. Total, 20,000,000.

St. Croix, River, rises in upper St. Croix Lake, within two miles of the Bois Brule River of Lake Superior, and enters the Mississippi River a few miles above Lake Pepin, having a descent of about 230 feet. At the different mills on this river are manufactured 26,000,000 feet of lumber. It is about 300 feet wide, and is navigable to the Falls.

Stephens' Point, town in county of Portage, being towns 24 and 25 K, of ranges 5, 6, 7, and 8.

Stevens' Point, P. V., in Portage County, on section 32, town 24 N., of range 8 E., 5½ miles north of Plover, and 120 miles north of Madison, on the Wisconsin River. It is the principal depot of the lumbering trade of the Upper Wisconsin, from which most of the lumbermen make their outfits both for the pine forest in the fall, and for St. Louis, with rafts, in the spring; is beautifully situated, is proverbially healthy, and rapidly being built up. It will probably be the first point at which two great thoroughfares will meet a rail road from Chicago to Ontonagon, of the Lake Superior, and from Green Bay to St. Pauls, of the Mississippi. A plank road is about to be commenced from Green Bay to this place, and another is projected from Berlin. The surrounding country is fast settling, and is adapted to farming equally as the up river country is pre-eminent for lumbering. The land office of the Stevens' Point land district is located here. Population 500; with 84 dwellings, 9 stores, 4 hotels, 3 mills; 1 chair, 1 bed-stead, 1 leather, 1 harness, and 1 sash manufactory; 2 tailors, 2 blacksmiths, 2 shoemakers, 1 sleigh and wagon maker, and 3 organized religious societies.

St. Louis, River, rises in several small lakes in latitude 48° N, longitude 16° W. from Washington, and enters west end of Lake Superior.

Stockbridge, P. O., in Calumet County, at mouth of a small stream entering Lake Winnebago.

Stockbridge, Town, in county of Calumet. It has 5 school districts.

Stoner's Prairie, P.O., on section 17, on prairie of same name, in town 6, of range 9 E., being town of Fitchburg, Dane County, 8 miles southwest from Madison.

Stoney Creek, is a small stream in the north part of Washington County, in the towns of Fredonia and Farmington, uniting with Pigeon Creek, enters the Milwaukee River in southeast corner of the town of Farmington.

Stoney, Creek, rises in town of Clayton, Winnebago County, and runs northeast into the Little Butte des Morts Lake.

Stoney Hill, in Marquette County, being town 17 N., of range 9 E., between Montello River and Deer Creek.

Stoughton, P. V., in Dane County, on section 8, in town of Dunkirk, being town 5 N., of range 11 E., 16 miles southeast from Madison; is pleasantly situated on the Catfish River, a few miles below the First Lake, and is on the route of the Milwaukee and Mississippi rail road, 20 miles from Janesville, and 18 miles from Milton. It has a good hydraulic power, with a sufficient supply of water, having a head of 9 feet. It is in one of the most productive farming sections of the State, Population 150, with 30 dwellings, 2 stores, 2 hotels, 1 grist and 1 saw mill.

Strawberry Islands, Green Bay, between Chamber's Island and Eagle Bay.

Strong's Landing, Village, see Berlin, P. V., (Appendix.)

Sturgeon, Bay, a long point of water extending from Green Bay across Door county, into within 2 miles of Lake Michigan. It is 6 miles wide, and 15 miles in length, narrowing towards its head, where it receives a small stream.

Sturgeon, Falls, are falls of the Menomonee River, of 14 feet in the distance of 1,000 feet.

Sturgeon, Portage, Door County, is the portage from Big Sturgeon Bay to Lake Michigan, about 1½ miles.

Sugar, Creek, in town of same name, Walworth County and running southeast unites with Geneva Creek, entering Pishtaka River at Burlington.

Sugar, Creek, a branch of Sugar River, rises in town of Sylvester, Green County, and runs southeast, entering Sugar River apposite to Clareville.

Sugar Creek, P. O., in town of same name, Walworth County, in town 3 N., of range 16 E.

Sugar Creek, Town, in county of Walworth, being town 3 N., of range 16 E.; centrally located, 5 miles northwest from Elkhorn. Population in 1850 was 1,229. It has 7 school districts.

Sugar, River, rises in town of Primrose, Dane County, runs south-east through Green and Rock Counties, into the State of Illinois. It empties into the Peckatonnica, in Winnebago County, Illinois.

Sugar River, Diggings, a point of some considerable importance as a mining settlement. It is in town 4 N., of range 8, Green County, and is known by the name of Exeter.

Sullivan, P. O., in town of same name, Jefferson County, being town 6 N., of range 16 E.

Sullivan, Town, in county of Jefferson, being town 6 N., of range 16 E.; centrally located, nine miles east from Jefferson. Population in 1850 was 872. It has 6 school districts.

Sulphur, Springs, in town of Holland, Sheboygan County.

Summerville, P. V., Rock County, on sections 1 and 2 of Clinton, being town 1 N, of range 14 E., 15 miles southeast of Janesville, and 60 southeast from Madison, on stage and mail route from Milwaukee to Beloit, at crossing of road from Johnstown to Belvidere, Ill. In a good farming district of prairie, timber, and openings. It has 85 inhabitants, with 17 dwellings, 1 store, 2 hotels, 2 blacksmiths, and 2 organized religious denominations.

Summit, P. V., in town of same name, Waukesha County, 15 miles northwest from Waukesha.

Summit, Town, in county of Waukesha, being town 17 N., of range 17 E.; centrally located, 15 miles west from Waukesha. Population in 1850 was 1,008. It has 6 school districts.

Sun Prairie, P. O., in town of same name, Dane county, being town 8 N., of range 11 E.

Sun Prairie, Town, in county of Dane, being town 8 N., of range 11 E.; centrally located, 10 miles northeast from Madison. It has 6 school districts.

Sussex, P. V., in town of Lisbon, Waukesha County, on section 26, town 8 N., of range 19 E., 10 miles north from Waukesha, and 60 miles east of Madison, 1½ miles north of the Milwaukee and Lisbon plank road, in a fine farming country, well adapted to raising the winter grains. Population 100; with 15 dwellings, 1 wagon shop, 1 shoe shop, 2 black-smiths, 1 saw mill, 1 school house, and an Episcopal Church.

Swan, Lake, Columbia County, an expansion of Fox River above the Portage. It is half a mile wide, and 3½ miles long.

Sylvania, P. O., in Racine County.

Sylvester, Town, in county of Green, being in town 2 N, of range 8 E.; centrally located, 8 miles east from Monroe. Population in 1850 was 712. It has 12 school districts.

Sylvester, P. V., Green County, on section 11, town 2 N., of range 8 E., 9 miles northeast from Monroe, and 35 miles southwest from Madison. Population 300; with 70 dwellings, 1 store, 1 hotel, and 3 religious denominations.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer,  By John Warren Hunt. Madison: Beriah Brown, Printer, 1853

Back to Wisconsin

 


AHGP

Back to AHGP

This web page was last updated.
Wednesday, 26-Feb-2014 18:43:23 EST

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.